Home
But it's the 3rd Gen made after they went back to the two piece cylinder (removable bushing), which are sometimes informally referred to as 4th Gen, but Colt rejects that label, only accepting the three gen distinctions. It's a 2005. I think I paid the right price for it at a total out of pocket of $1,600, including transfer, background check, etc.. It's in very lightly used condition, and very well cared for. Looks basically mint. Mainly, it's been a safe queen till I got it, but no longer. I intend to shoot her a lot, though also take good care of her.

Buying one of these, the way I see it, is about like taking money out of one pocket and putting it into another, since you're not losing any money, and might even (theoretically, assuming you ever resell) make some down the road. And in the mean time, you get to enjoy owning and shooting it. Hard to beat that.

[Linked Image]

Here she is next to my Uberti, which is also a .45 Colt, but came from the factory with a fitted .45 ACP cylinder, too. The Uberti is a great shooter, not much if any inferior to the Colt in any way that I can discover, other than lacking the pony on the frame.

[Linked Image]

Here's the Colt at the range. I shot her today, soon as I picked her up from the FFL.

[Linked Image]

This was the first five shot group (two went into the same hole), fired at fifteen yards, standing, off hand, one handed, slow fire.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't be happier with that group.

Nice, been wanting one for a long time, good shooting too.
Great Colt SA there TRH and you shoot it well. I'd say you did fine at that price.
Gorgeous revolver. Would love to have one. Looks like it , and you, shoot very well.
Very nice, congrats 👍
Cool gun! I hope you continue to enjoy it!
I hate you wink

Very nice TRH
Originally Posted by 700LH
I hate you wink

Very nice TRH

LOL. grin Thanks.
Originally Posted by ronc

It's been a bucket list gun of mine for many years, too. Thanks.
Thanks to all.
Can you shoot full power (Ruger) loads in it?
Originally Posted by Texczech

I don't think you can shoot monster loads in the New Vaquero. You can in the Old Vaquero (I have one in .44 Magnum, pictured below), and in the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I wouldn't shoot any monster loads out of this Colt. It's not built for it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Texczech

I don't think you can shoot monster loads in the New Vaquero. You can in the Old Vaquero (I have one in .44 Magnum, pictured below), and in the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I wouldn't shoot any monster loads out of this Colt. It's not built for it.

[Linked Image]

I probably wouldn't shoot hot loads in it either just curious. Beautiful gun ,congrats. 👍
Just think how much better off you would be if that relic was chambered in 9MM Miraculose Farce.
If it were you would be set for anything from plinking to planetary invasion. It would replace a 16 inch battleship cannon.
I am sure you have remorseful remorse on your mishap.
May the Farce be with you.
But it's the 3rd Gen made after they went back to the two piece cylinder (removable bushing), which are sometimes informally referred to as 4th Gen, but Colt rejects that label, only accepting the three gen distinctions. It's a 2005. I think I paid the right price for it at a total out of pocket of $1,600, including transfer, background check, etc.. It's in very lightly used condition, and very well cared for. Looks basically mint. Mainly, it's been a safe queen till I got it, but no longer. I intend to shoot her a lot, though also take good care of her.

Buying one of these, the way I see it, is about like taking money out of one pocket and putting it into another, since you're not losing any money, and might even (theoretically, assuming you ever resell) make some down the road. And in the mean time, you get to enjoy owning and shooting it. Hard to beat that.

[Linked Image]

Here she is next to my Uberti, which is also a .45 Colt, but came from the factory with a fitted .45 ACP cylinder, too. The Uberti is a great shooter, not much if any inferior to the Colt in any way that I can discover, other than lacking the pony on the frame.

[Linked Image]

Here's the Colt at the range. I shot her today, soon as I picked her up from the FFL.

[Linked Image]

This was the first five shot group (two went into the same hole), fired at fifteen yards, standing, off hand, one handed, slow fire.

[Linked Image]

You're living the dream brother; congrats!!
Originally Posted by GunGeek

You're living the dream brother; congrats!!

laugh Thanks. Nothing like having the real thing.

I was actually in the market for a well worn First, or early Second, Gen, that was in mechanically good and shootable condition, but as I was discussing this on another forum, someone PMed me offering to sell me either of his Third Gen SAAs at a very reasonable price (He said he was getting up in years, and was drastically cutting down his firearms collection). He had one in 4.75" an one in 5.5" both in like new condition (basically safe queens), bought new by him at about the same time (2005). So, after taking some steps to protect myself in the deal from the potential for fraud, I went ahead and bought his 5.5" specimen.
Wonder if you could get enough Bullseye in the case to get it up off its behind? Probably not. Kinda sad really. Plus its an old design to boot. Maybe you could trade it on an M&P 9MM with some boot.
Hope you can.
Doofus, I learned a while back just to skip over your posts, but I figured everyone deserves a chance at changing for the better, so read your last one above.

No change. Back to skipping.
Last month I walked into a small gunshop in Green Valley, AZ and was surprised to see that they had a brand new 2020 production Colt SAA .45 on the shelf. I wanted to buy it but needed to show some self-discipline. So I walked out and came back the next day to buy it. I have two other Colts, 2 Turnbull finished AWA's and a USFA, and this Colt is as nice as any of them.

They still know how to make them, but I understand they only put out a couple hundred or so each year.

The 3rd gen guns (especially the later ones) are great revolvers and are very nicely put together. All the ones I've played with are accurate and shoot to point of aim. Plus, they're fun to shoot. You'll never lose money on a Colt SAA.
Bob
Nice gun and nice shooting. Congrats!
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Last month I walked into a small gunshop in Green Valley, AZ and was surprised to see that they had a brand new 2020 production Colt SAA .45 on the shelf. I wanted to buy it but needed to show some self-discipline. So I walked out and came back the next day to buy it. I have two other Colts, 2 Turnbull finished AWA's and a USFA, and this Colt is as nice as any of them.

They still know how to make them, but I understand they only put out a couple hundred or so each year.

That's what I hear, too. Usually, they get claimed well before they ever hit a gun store shelf.
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

That's what I hear, too. Usually, they get claimed well before they ever hit a gun store shelf.

The owner of the little gunshop told me he had placed an order for the Colt several years before. I was very surprised that it had not been spoken for before I saw it. I think the sudden economic downturn may have had something to do with it. I have never been able to figure out the new picture posting system, but it is on the bottom left if you click on this link. The Colts are all on the left, and the USFA (top) and AWA's are on the right:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14824626/peacemakers#Post14824626
Nice collection.

[Linked Image]
I see why Colt sued AWA.
Iv owned 4 colt single actions over the years, the only one that I could shoot a good group with was a old Bisley 32-20, one gun I wished Id never have sold!
Congratulations! I know it's not for everyone, but nothing finer than hunting with a '73 Colt on your hip while carrying a '74 Sharps Rifle, both loaded with Holy Black!
I see why Colt sued AWA.

You really cannot tell a difference at first blush when holding a Colt Peacemaker in one hand an an AWA Peacekeeper in the other. Even the patent dates are there on both. The AWA does have an "American Western Arms" inscription on the top of the barrel. The AWA's were color-casehardened by Doug Turnbull, and their colors are every bit as good as a nice Colt. The bluing is just as good too. Their actions are smooth and crisp. The only other perceivable differences are that the AWA grips are slightly thinner in feel, and the pony at the top of the grip is not reared up like the one on the Colt. It is more or less level. The eagles are slightly different when you compare them. But otherwise, they are dead ringers for Colts, and shoot just as well.

The rear sight on the AWA's is a "V", while the Colt is a square notch. The sides of the hammers on the AWA's is color casehardened, while the Colt's is bright.

The only other difference is that both of the AWA's came with front sights that were WAY too high, causing them to shoot ridiculously low. I had to do quite a bit of filing to bring them to zero. Windage was right on for both. They even take the same springs as Colts. There are some small differences in cylinder diameter, with the AWA's being a bit larger in diameter.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Congratulations! I know it's not for everyone, but nothing finer than hunting with a '73 Colt on your hip while carrying a '74 Sharps Rifle, both loaded with Holy Black!

I bet.

Will an Uberti '75 Remington do?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice. What model Remington?
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

When I Google Remington 1875, I only see references to a single action revolver.

Hell yeah that'll do, especially when both are loaded with Black Powder, would that 75 Remington revolver be a 44 cal? nice weapons EE.

Hell yeah that'll do, especially when both are loaded with Black Powder, would that 75 Remington revolver be a 44 cal? nice weapons EE.
Yep. It's a 44-40. Thanks.

When I Google Remington 1875, I only see references to a single action revolver.
Yes, it's an 1875 Remington single action, made by Uberti. The long gun is my Shiloh Sharps model 1874 in 50-90.

Yes, it's an 1875 Remington single action, made by Uberti. The long gun is my Shiloh Sharps model 1874 in 50-90.

Oh, yeah. I should have been more specific. I was asking about the rifle. I guess I thought you were saying the rifle was a Remington. Cool pair.
Very nice guns all, gents. Congrats.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very nice guns all, gents. Congrats.

You shoot your Python yet, jorge?
Not yet..
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Not yet..

I had a friend in high school who would leave his Christmas and birthday presents in their original factory packaging for months after removing the gift wrapping. He enjoyed their newness more than actually having and using them.
Well, I'm not quite there yet. If that were the case, I wold have never fired my Verney-Carron double when I first got it... smile
Very nice gun, congratulations!
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Great Colt SA there TRH and you shoot it well. I'd say you did fine at that price.

Congrats, Hawkeye.

I agree. I had a shot at one also, $1500 excellent condition no box. Passed, but wish I hadn't.
Originally Posted by RGK

The 3rd gen guns (especially the later ones) are great revolvers and are very nicely put together. All the ones I've played with are accurate and shoot to point of aim. Plus, they're fun to shoot. You'll never lose money on a Colt SAA.
Bob

Bob, you're not helping with my remorse. Lol.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Congrats, Hawkeye.

I agree. I had a shot at one also, $1500 excellent condition no box. Passed, but wish I hadn't.

Thanks.

I'd have been glad to do without the box if I could have gotten if for a total out of pocket savings of a hundred bucks. I actually don't like getting the box on collectable guns, because then I feel obliged to store it in an environmentally controlled area with a mind towards preserving it. I have a pile of such boxes stacked one on top of the other, nearly to the ceiling, in a storage room. Pain in the butt.

PS Not too late to get one, though. As long as you get one that's legit, and you don't over pay, you really can't lose (There are just a few manufacture dates you want to avoid). It's literally like buying a savings bond that you can shoot. Unlike, for example, buying a new computer or household sound system, for example. That money is gone. Even worse, a vacation.

Congrats, Hawkeye.

Thanks.

I'd have been glad to do without the box if I could have gotten if for a total out of pocket savings of a hundred bucks. I actually don't like getting the box on collectable guns, because then I feel obliged to store it in an environmentally controlled area with a mind towards preserving it. I have a pile of such boxes stacked one on top of the other, nearly to the ceiling, in a storage room. Pain in the butt.

PS Not too late to get one, though. As long as you get one that's legit, and you don't over pay, you really can't lose (There are just a few manufacture dates you want to avoid). It's literally like buying a savings bond that you can shoot. Unlike, for example, buying a new computer or household sound system, for example. That money is gone. Even worse, a vacation.

I hear you on the boxes, but I like to get them for resale. Thing is, I almost never sell my guns. Lol.

The excellent condition one I came across was at a gun show in Palm Beach County in the final wee minutes. I didn't know enough about the production dates to watch out for to leap.

Would appreciate a quick primer on that.

Congrats, Hawkeye.

Thanks.

I hear you on the boxes, but I like to get them for resale. Thing is, I almost never sell my guns. Lol.

The excellent condition one I came across was at a gun show in Palm Beach County in the final wee minutes. I didn't know enough about the production dates to watch out for to leap.

First Gens are all supposed to have come from the factory good to go. Early Second Gens, too. Late Second Gens were sometime problematic, as the machines on which they were made were getting old. They scrapped the old machinery and made all new machinery to make the Third Gen. Most people avoid the early Third Gen. A relatively safe bet is to only buy Third Gens with a removable cylinder bushing. The early Third Gens had a one piece cylinder. There are certain dates in the Third Gen to be avoided, having to do with new ownership at Colt allowing standards to go way down for a period of time, but I don't know those dates off the top of my head now. Easy to research, though. Twenty-First Century specimens are said to be a lot better made than the late 20th Century Third Gens. Coltforum would be a good resource for this information, if you need specific dates.

Congrats, Hawkeye.

Thanks.

First Gen are all supposed to have come from the factory good to go. Early Second Gens, too. Late Second Gens were sometime problematic, as the machines on which they were made were getting old. They scrapped the old machinery and made all new machinery to make the Third Gen. Most people avoid the early Third Gen. A relatively safe bet is to only buy Third Gens with a removable cylinder bushing. The early Third Gens had a one piece cylinder. There are certain dates in the Third Gen to be avoided, having to do with new ownership at Colt allowing standards to go way down for a period of time, but I don't know those dates off the top of my head now. Easy to research, though. Twenty-First Century specimens are said to be a lot better made than the late 20th Century Third Gens. Coltforum would be a good resource for this information, if you need specific dates.

Thanks for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: After some research, I see exactly what you're talking about. BTW- the one I was looking at was also a 5 1/2" bbl. Thinking the 7 1/2" bbl would also be great to own.
All three barrel lengths have their appeal. I figured if I was only going to have one, I'd get the length that splits the difference (5.5"), referred to as the Artillery Model. The 7.5" is referred to as the Cavalry Model. The 4.75" specimens were strictly sold to civilians, and were popular among cow hands, bad guys, and law enforcement. The Artillery Model was also popular among all those civilian groups.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful revolver
All three barrel lengths have their appeal. I figured if I was only going to have one, I'd get the length that splits the difference (5.5"), referred to as the Artillery Model. The 7.5" is referred to as the Cavalry Model. The 4.75" specimens were strictly sold to civilians, and were popular among cow hands, bad guys, and law enforcement. The Artillery Model was also popular among all those civilian groups.

I'd have to say the 5 1/2" is my favorite, like my Old Vaquero.

I'd have to say the 5 1/2" is my favorite, like my Old Vaquero.

Yep. Same here. I have an Old Vaquero in 5.5" too.
© 24hourcampfire