Home
Posted By: JPro Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
I came into ownership of a friend's old "deep concealment" gun a few years back. He'd quit carrying it after the Ruger LCP and Glock .380 came out. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but it looks like I've found its best job.

NAA mini revolver in 22WMR with CCI shotshells at 8 feet or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The little gun is handy this time of year, to stick in one's pocket in snake country. I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along. Not that hollowpoints don't also work, but I do like the larger margin of error with the shotshells.

JP
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
A smart person would ditch the 10MM and that pocket toy and get a 9MM Miraculous Farce. No need for shot capsules in it since if you hit anywhere within a 20 yard radius it will kill any snake getting ready to chase you down and jump on you. Just be careful of the rogue snake that may circle around behind you and pounce upon you and then have his or her way with you.
Being violated by the "Serpent" will have a lasting effect. They are stealthy and quite with a slithering way about them. Just be careful not to be withing that 20 yard radius as that 9MM Miraculous Farce will obliterate you along with the snake. Obliterating obliteration can cause untold grief and concern for the surviving survivors of the obliterated one.
Be sure to post some videos along with the bullets from the Miraculous Farce handheld atomic cannon.
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
Nothing beats a round point shovel, those little pocket guns and dust shot are the perfect solution, to a nonexistent problem.
Posted By: JPro Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Nothing beats a round point shovel, those little pocket guns and dust shot are the perfect solution, to a nonexistent problem.

This round point shovel will maybe fit in my pocket like the 22WMR. I wonder which will work better when I'm out in the woods.

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
I don't like poisonous snakes to be anywhere near me and don't feel a bit of remorse whenever I shoot one of them with a load of CCI snake shot. They might be minding their own business, but it is just their bad luck encounter me. To my way of thinking the only good poisonous snake is a dead poisonous snake. I won't go out of my way to kill them, but I will kill them. My MILused to catch them at the ranch and relocate them after she sprayed their rattles with international orange spray paint.
Posted By: JPro Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
Funny you should mention painting the rattlers. My dad is a forester and had a logging crew show him a big rattler they killed after he'd marked the timber. He'd painted it blue without ever seeing it, and he must have been right on top of it.

He and I were recently discussing Cottonmouths and Copperheads being worthy of a bullet and I mentioned that I don't always like shooting rattlers that are minding their business. "Yeah", he said, "but when you have to hike back out the same way, a surprise 2nd interaction might not go as well". He had a point.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't like poisonous snakes to be anywhere near me . . . My MILused to catch them at the ranch and relocate them after she sprayed their rattles with international orange spray paint.

What's the statistic about snakebites?
Something like 399% of snakebites are from
trying to handle a snake?
NO THANK YOU! !

BTW the. 22 mag works just fine.
That's the exact thing I used when I
used to get to hunt in Coke country
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
That's not a bad pattern. I've found 38 special shot shells pattern ok to about 15'. Shot a rattler last year at about 10'; it didn't even wiggle after it was shot. I was genuinely surprised.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
I'm curious as to how small a shot actually penetrates enough on snakes to kill one. Will shot from a 22LR kill one? What about a 22 Mag? I do believe that 38 special would probably work within reasonable distance, maybe 10 foot. Please respond to actual shootings not opinion. We didn't worry about that in Alaska but here in Idaho, probably should be reasonably prepared.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
there good for boring bees and dirt dobbers wasp
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
I shot a bunch of snakes with rimfire birdshot and was always very disappointed in the outcome. Within 5 feet or so they worked OK. Hard to tell as they always wiggle so much even after they are dead.
My 410 Governor on the other hand is extremely effective up to 10 yards. Rimfire shot shells are basically a novelty to me.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/02/20
The .22 LR snake shot hasn't worked as well for me as have the .22 MAG, the .357/38, or the .44 from CCI.

I carry a Rossi 720 in .44 Special quite often when I am afield that is loaded with 2 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 rounds of hard cast 240 grain SWCs. I haven't snot many snakes in eastern Nebraska, but have shot a few more in southwestern SD and southeastern CO.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/17/20
For those that think the 22 mag dust won’t kill a snake, they will reliably shoot thru one side of an aluminum beer can. Hopefully no snake is made of a tougher substance.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by jimmyp
For those that think the 22 mag dust won’t kill a snake, they will reliably shoot thru one side of an aluminum beer can. Hopefully no snake is made of a tougher substance.

Shot more than a few with the same rig
as the OP
I will say that I've never been to Florida
and shot any of those pythons.
A 22 would probably be inadequate for
that
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm curious as to how small a shot actually penetrates enough on snakes to kill one. Will shot from a 22LR kill one? What about a 22 Mag? I do believe that 38 special would probably work within reasonable distance, maybe 10 foot. Please respond to actual shootings not opinion. We didn't worry about that in Alaska but here in Idaho, probably should be reasonably prepared.

22 mag shot shells are superb rattlesnake killers
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
I find it odd....to take the time to walk 10feet to be close enough to use the snake shot vs. using that 10feet to simply walk around it.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by JPro
I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along.

Why not just carry that 10mm with one round of CCI 40 S&W shotshell in the chamber? That stuff does cycle the action, and works really well on snakes. I do this with my Glocks in snake country as regular practice. It does depend if you can make sure the cartridge rim is under the extractor though; it's a no brainer with a 10mm Glock but I don't know about the XDM.

Obviously it's different if you're hunting with that 10mm, but if you're carrying it as a defensive gun the first round as a shotshell over a mag of hollow points works well.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20

I load 70 gr. of chilled No 12 between opposing 30 cal gas checks in 32Mag cases.
That load accounted for one 15" moccasin @ about 6 feet from a 2" J frame.
Have also killed mocasins with No 8 dove load and Speers 45acp load of 9s.
In my opinion, it's all about the pattern. You have to test them and if you get the kind of results the OP got you'll be fine.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
The out of production Remington crimped .45 ACP shot load is the best I"ve seen, functions in a 1911 and Sig 245. It's loaded with #12's, a bunch of them. Patterns great.

I think the .38 Special would work better with #11 or #12 than the #9's. The #9 doesn't pattern as well. The.22 Magnum does the job if you have one.
Posted By: deflave Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20

Stop shooting penises.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by Ky221
I find it odd....to take the time to walk 10feet to be close enough to use the snake shot vs. using that 10feet to simply walk around it.

Why is that odd?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by Ky221

Poison snake enters my yard he gets killed and I go out of my way to make that happen
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/18/20
Where are the videos of those tests on the deadly serpents? Where are the recovered pellets?
We must have videos and recovered pellets.
Posted By: shoptom Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/20/20
Where can I get shot capsules to load 32 Long? I've been shooting carpenter bees and an occasional sparrow w/22 shot, I'd just like to load my own. I'll try the gas checks tomorrow but I'm afraid there's not room.
Thanks,
Tom
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by shoptom
Where can I get shot capsules to load 32 Long? I've been shooting carpenter bees and an occasional sparrow w/22 shot, I'd just like to load my own. I'll try the gas checks tomorrow but I'm afraid there's not room.
Thanks,
Tom

I think you'll be just fine, especially if you load it with #12 shot. Can you fit an empty 32 H&R case into a 32 S&W chamber?
Posted By: rayporter Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/20/20
same rig as OP.
works quite nice..

folks that dont have family running around or pets dieing or stock to doctor can keep them in their area of operation. if they are over a mile from the house they can have a pass.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/20/20
We don't own a dog, and haven't owned one in the last 15 years, that hasn't been bitten at least once. Thursday evening I was putting a few trees on the ground and saw one of our goats had been bitten under it's jaw.

All the non-poisonous snakes get a pass, though I get get pissed at some of the water snakes, but anything poisonous is getting killed.

JPro, I hope the WMR is more effective than the LR's. I put a rattle snake down right next to me with LR shot shells and it was not impressive. After the 3rd one to his head I started hunting for a stick.
Posted By: Blacktail308 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/22/20
I shot a Boone and Crockett water moccasin in NC with a .38 shotshell that I loaded with 7 1/2’s. Fairly long shot, somewhere near 10 yards so I probably got lucky but a few ended up in its head. That snake was at least 4 feet long and it’s head was huge. Then there was the Indigo in FL that I shot with my 20 gauge quail gun. At about 15 yards I tore it’s head off. Dirty bugger was trying to hit my Springer! Found out that evening that they’re protected. This one wasn’t very protected at all.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/22/20
[quote=Blacktail308 Found out that evening that they’re protected. This one wasn’t very protected at all.[/quote]

That reminds me of squirrel hunting once. My buddy shot one, and I asked him "Hey was that an endangered squirrel?". He said "Well that one sure was."

Growing up as a kid down in Mississippi with water moccasins, I never quite learned to agree with the folks who want to just let them be. I kill them if I see them. I've killed a few with CCI 40 S&W and 45 ACP shotshells in Glocks and 1911's, and have always been happy with the results even from well outside snake bite distance. I was never impressed with the 22 LR versions or any of the revolver rounds with the plastic shot capsules. (The 40 & 45 semi-auto shotshells hold more shot and pattern significantly better, in my experience.)
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/22/20
two copperheads with 38 special snake shot by CCI, if your too close the plastic cup makes a hole too. I have shot a few with other guns, shotguns, 22LR, but the best was a 257 roberts. Also why shoot a poisonous snake that is more than 10 ft away? So that if I pass that way again I won't have to worry about him. whistle
Posted By: bobmn Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/22/20
Take a sized 32 case and sharpen the case mouth with a case chamfer tool. Punch out some cardboard over powder wads. Load case with Bullseye commensurate with the weight of shot plus the weight of a .32 lead round ball. Seat wad over powder. Load case with small shot. #12 is good but hard to find. #9 is readily available. Seat round ball in case. Some say round ball blows patterns but I have not experienced that with my patterning.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/22/20
In the .22 LR the best snake load is a Mini Mag hollowpoint.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/23/20
Originally Posted by Yondering
I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along.

Why not just carry that 10mm with one round of CCI 40 S&W shotshell in the chamber? That stuff does cycle the action, and works really well on snakes. I do this with my Glocks in snake country as regular practice. It does depend if you can make sure the cartridge rim is under the extractor though; it's a no brainer with a 10mm Glock but I don't know about the XDM.

Obviously it's different if you're hunting with that 10mm, but if you're carrying it as a defensive gun the first round as a shotshell over a mag of hollow points works well.

Wouldnt want my first shot out of a semi carried for defense to be the snake shot. In all my glocks the 45acp cci cycles the action MOST of the time but NOT always! (the 9mm jams more often then not) Figure a defensive use is going to happen faster, be more urgent and more stressfull then any snake encounter and would hate to have a jam needing cleared after first shot at a 2 legged or 4 legged predator i have likely simply just pissed off with the snake load. The idea of carrying the little revolver or even a Bond arms type derringer for snake duty, maybe in a back pocket or similar, in addition to a larger bore handgun for everything else is a sound one. I will carry a revolver set with 1st round being snakeshot but not a semi.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Originally Posted by Yondering

Wouldnt want my first shot out of a semi carried for defense to be the snake shot. In all my glocks the 45acp cci cycles the action MOST of the time but NOT always! (the 9mm jams more often then not) Figure a defensive use is going to happen faster, be more urgent and more stressfull then any snake encounter and would hate to have a jam needing cleared after first shot at a 2 legged or 4 legged predator i have likely simply just pissed off with the snake load. The idea of carrying the little revolver or even a Bond arms type derringer for snake duty, maybe in a back pocket or similar, in addition to a larger bore handgun for everything else is a sound one. I will carry a revolver set with 1st round being snakeshot but not a semi.

Interesting. I have never had a 40 or 45 CCI shotshell fail to cycle or even close in either Glocks or 1911s. Rapid fire, slow fire, empty mag or full, it's never been a concern at all; not sure what would be different with yours.

The 9mm shotshells are different and I don't bother with them; they are not really intended to cycle the action although they sometimes do.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/29/20
Almost stepped on a Copperhead on the way back from the D. Refuge in W.M. - my weight was coming down and somehow I spotted it just before my boot landed on it, and I reversed, I don't know how! LOL. I hope you never get within 8 ft of a bad one, but that might help if you need it.

Took many Water Moccasins in LA using 22LR from various Smith J and K frames, and various pocket semi-autos.

One in the head does them no good. That little guy with WMR looks like it would be Painful to your ears.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Baby "snake medicine" - 06/29/20
I've killed exactly one snake with the CCI loads, and they worked fine. However, if I really felt the need for "protection", I'd go with the .38 loads I put together with Speer shot capsules full of #12 shot I scrounged out of some Rio 12ga loads. Smoke a paper plate with one of those and you'll be a believer. Those shells were VERY cheap, BTW, much less than a bag of shot, and potentially useful for other stuff.

That said, in general, any snake not in my immediate safety zone is none of my business, and therefore safe from me.
© 24hourcampfire