Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I came into ownership of a friend's old "deep concealment" gun a few years back. He'd quit carrying it after the Ruger LCP and Glock .380 came out. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but it looks like I've found its best job.

NAA mini revolver in 22WMR with CCI shotshells at 8 feet or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The little gun is handy this time of year, to stick in one's pocket in snake country. I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along. Not that hollowpoints don't also work, but I do like the larger margin of error with the shotshells.

JP

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A smart person would ditch the 10MM and that pocket toy and get a 9MM Miraculous Farce. No need for shot capsules in it since if you hit anywhere within a 20 yard radius it will kill any snake getting ready to chase you down and jump on you. Just be careful of the rogue snake that may circle around behind you and pounce upon you and then have his or her way with you.
Being violated by the "Serpent" will have a lasting effect. They are stealthy and quite with a slithering way about them. Just be careful not to be withing that 20 yard radius as that 9MM Miraculous Farce will obliterate you along with the snake. Obliterating obliteration can cause untold grief and concern for the surviving survivors of the obliterated one.
Be sure to post some videos along with the bullets from the Miraculous Farce handheld atomic cannon.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nothing beats a round point shovel, those little pocket guns and dust shot are the perfect solution, to a nonexistent problem.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Nothing beats a round point shovel, those little pocket guns and dust shot are the perfect solution, to a nonexistent problem.

This round point shovel will maybe fit in my pocket like the 22WMR. I wonder which will work better when I'm out in the woods.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like poisonous snakes to be anywhere near me and don't feel a bit of remorse whenever I shoot one of them with a load of CCI snake shot. They might be minding their own business, but it is just their bad luck encounter me. To my way of thinking the only good poisonous snake is a dead poisonous snake. I won't go out of my way to kill them, but I will kill them. My MILused to catch them at the ranch and relocate them after she sprayed their rattles with international orange spray paint.

IC B2

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Funny you should mention painting the rattlers. My dad is a forester and had a logging crew show him a big rattler they killed after he'd marked the timber. He'd painted it blue without ever seeing it, and he must have been right on top of it.

He and I were recently discussing Cottonmouths and Copperheads being worthy of a bullet and I mentioned that I don't always like shooting rattlers that are minding their business. "Yeah", he said, "but when you have to hike back out the same way, a surprise 2nd interaction might not go as well". He had a point.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't like poisonous snakes to be anywhere near me . . . My MILused to catch them at the ranch and relocate them after she sprayed their rattles with international orange spray paint.

What's the statistic about snakebites?
Something like 399% of snakebites are from
trying to handle a snake?
NO THANK YOU! !

BTW the. 22 mag works just fine.
That's the exact thing I used when I
used to get to hunt in Coke country

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's not a bad pattern. I've found 38 special shot shells pattern ok to about 15'. Shot a rattler last year at about 10'; it didn't even wiggle after it was shot. I was genuinely surprised.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm curious as to how small a shot actually penetrates enough on snakes to kill one. Will shot from a 22LR kill one? What about a 22 Mag? I do believe that 38 special would probably work within reasonable distance, maybe 10 foot. Please respond to actual shootings not opinion. We didn't worry about that in Alaska but here in Idaho, probably should be reasonably prepared.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there good for boring bees and dirt dobbers wasp

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot a bunch of snakes with rimfire birdshot and was always very disappointed in the outcome. Within 5 feet or so they worked OK. Hard to tell as they always wiggle so much even after they are dead.
My 410 Governor on the other hand is extremely effective up to 10 yards. Rimfire shot shells are basically a novelty to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The .22 LR snake shot hasn't worked as well for me as have the .22 MAG, the .357/38, or the .44 from CCI.

I carry a Rossi 720 in .44 Special quite often when I am afield that is loaded with 2 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 rounds of hard cast 240 grain SWCs. I haven't snot many snakes in eastern Nebraska, but have shot a few more in southwestern SD and southeastern CO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For those that think the 22 mag dust won’t kill a snake, they will reliably shoot thru one side of an aluminum beer can. Hopefully no snake is made of a tougher substance.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
For those that think the 22 mag dust won’t kill a snake, they will reliably shoot thru one side of an aluminum beer can. Hopefully no snake is made of a tougher substance.

Shot more than a few with the same rig
as the OP
I will say that I've never been to Florida
and shot any of those pythons.
A 22 would probably be inadequate for
that

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm curious as to how small a shot actually penetrates enough on snakes to kill one. Will shot from a 22LR kill one? What about a 22 Mag? I do believe that 38 special would probably work within reasonable distance, maybe 10 foot. Please respond to actual shootings not opinion. We didn't worry about that in Alaska but here in Idaho, probably should be reasonably prepared.

22 mag shot shells are superb rattlesnake killers

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I find it odd....to take the time to walk 10feet to be close enough to use the snake shot vs. using that 10feet to simply walk around it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JPro
I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along.

Why not just carry that 10mm with one round of CCI 40 S&W shotshell in the chamber? That stuff does cycle the action, and works really well on snakes. I do this with my Glocks in snake country as regular practice. It does depend if you can make sure the cartridge rim is under the extractor though; it's a no brainer with a 10mm Glock but I don't know about the XDM.

Obviously it's different if you're hunting with that 10mm, but if you're carrying it as a defensive gun the first round as a shotshell over a mag of hollow points works well.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/17/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I load 70 gr. of chilled No 12 between opposing 30 cal gas checks in 32Mag cases.
That load accounted for one 15" moccasin @ about 6 feet from a 2" J frame.
Have also killed mocasins with No 8 dove load and Speers 45acp load of 9s.
In my opinion, it's all about the pattern. You have to test them and if you get the kind of results the OP got you'll be fine.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The out of production Remington crimped .45 ACP shot load is the best I"ve seen, functions in a 1911 and Sig 245. It's loaded with #12's, a bunch of them. Patterns great.

I think the .38 Special would work better with #11 or #12 than the #9's. The #9 doesn't pattern as well. The.22 Magnum does the job if you have one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JPro

Stop shooting penises.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.