Home
Posted By: arapahoe14 10/22 - 03/03/21
I've never owned one. I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22lr at home. Walmart has one for $239.99.

Are they accurate enough to be a good training rifle if mounted with a quality scope?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Depends on what you are training for.
Posted By: Sheister Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
If you're training to hit pop cans at 50 feet they are great.... but I hear from reading all the forums and even on facebook groups that in order to get the best accuracy out of them all you have to do is replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a really good scope on it....
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Accurate enough to be fun. You can't lose at that price.
Posted By: drover Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you're training to hit pop cans at 50 feet they are great.... but I hear from reading all the forums and even on facebook groups that in order to get the best accuracy out of them all you have to do is replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a really good scope on it....

This has been my experience with numerous 10/22's, apparently I am a slow learner - I keep buying them because I run across them cheap and keep expecting them to better than my experience has shown them to be. I currently own one that is likely to be a keeper because it will keep 5 shots into an inch or so at 50 yards, which is better than some 10/22's that I spent quite a bit of money on would do.
And to be realistic that is acceptable for a $200 rifle with bulk ammo.

Although to answer the OP's question is impossible since he does not define what a "training rifle" is and what his expectations of it may be.

drover
Posted By: EdM Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
A $150 barrel does help. I have yet to try the high quality match ammo recently purchased. This is drop in to the recently acquired stock. I need to check barrel contact. I am thinking there is some gain still there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: 1minute Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
One likely will not win an competitions with any off the shelf unit, but it should be fine for popping bunnies etc out to 100 yds if one does not care where he hits them.
Posted By: 24HourCampFireGuy50 Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Stock rifle, try it. Don't like the trigger? Throw in a Volquartsen hammer. Don't like the groups? Have your barrel worked or buy a barrel.

@EDM What scope mount is that?
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
the selling point of the 10/22 for a long time was the reliability.

i hadnt ever seen one shoot particularly well until i got a 10/22 target with the spiral barrel.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Best semi auto 22, IMO. Lightening the trigger will benefit the most.
Posted By: killerv Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
for 239, especially these days...go for it. I think I have five of them right now, and not a single one is stock though. They are fun to tinker with.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
Have always kept some around, but wondering how the TC and some other iterations stack up?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 10/22 - 03/03/21
They work, and usually shoot okay. There are better options for training a beginner, I think. Semi-autos are a bit more complicated to manipulate, and the stock trigger might not be real consistent. Still, if it’s what you can find now at a price within your budget, they’re good rifles.

IMO, the best upgrade is one of the Ruger BX triggers, for about $50 or so.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 10/22 - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They work, and usually shoot okay. There are better options for training a beginner, I think. Semi-autos are a bit more complicated to manipulate, and the stock trigger might not be real consistent. Still, if it’s what you can find now at a price within your budget, they’re good rifles.

IMO, the best upgrade is one of the Ruger BX triggers, for about $50 or so.

Who knows. I still hear guys firing off rounds like its the 4th of July. I'm wondering where they are finding their ammo... I'm at the range the other day and some yayhoos down below me at a rock pit are burning up ammo like there's no tomorrow. I'm casually firing off rounds downrange on target with my AR15, testing some new loads in a new barrel. Just because you have a semiautomatic rifle doesn't mean you have to fire it off like a fu cking maniac, but many do. Maybe the 10-22 is the best training rifle for this kind of shidt. It happens all the time. I'm still wondering what kind of training the op is interested in. I don't think he answered that question..
Posted By: EdM Re: 10/22 - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Stock rifle, try it. Don't like the trigger? Throw in a Volquartsen hammer. Don't like the groups? Have your barrel worked or buy a barrel.

@EDM What scope mount is that?

Weigand
Posted By: Paul39 Re: 10/22 - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Who knows. I still hear guys firing off rounds like its the 4th of July. I'm wondering where they are finding their ammo... I'm at the range the other day and some yayhoos down below me at a rock pit are burning up ammo like there's no tomorrow. I'm casually firing off rounds downrange on target with my AR15, testing some new loads in a new barrel. Just because you have a semiautomatic rifle doesn't mean you have to fire it off like a fu cking maniac, but many do. Maybe the 10-22 is the best training rifle for this kind of shidt. It happens all the time. I'm still wondering what kind of training the op is interested in. I don't think he answered that question..

That's pretty much my thinking on the subject.

The unfortunate part, JMO, is that kids who are introduced to shooting that way never really learn marksmanship. Oh yeah, they'll have fun, and hopefully learn gun safety, but won't learn to appreciate the satisfaction of hitting precisely where you aim, predictably and repeatedly.

bang bang bang bang "Hey, Dad, I hit the bullseye". "Good job, kid."

And, if you are preparing them to be hunters, it becomes a serious ethical issue.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 10/22 - 03/04/21
Mcclure: I say go for it - I own and shoot a bunch of Ruger 10/22's including a couple of "modified" no longer factory models.
At that price you will be getting a very good Rifle for training someone in the use of a semi-automatic Rifle.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hookeye Re: 10/22 - 03/05/21
I got my first 1022 in 72.
Yeah, I shot it fast. shot it slow too.
Punk azzed kid, i liked to hit the target way more than make noise.
Pop can flips up the bank and rolls down, semi is pretty fun.

Training....yeah whatever.

Its a fookin rifle. The person behind it dictates good shots or not.

Think a Volq hammer ( or mod original ) is a good upgrade.
If that doesnt fix it to tolerable, proly swap bbl for aftermarket.

I got an old Numrichs walnut stock and stainless bbl when you could buy em both for just over 100 bucks. Dunno what actions are fetching now.

IMHO the old fingergroove stock made rhe 1022 feel good.
Nothing else comes close.

Started out blazing w a 1022 and ended up running a #1B on chucks. Aint no training BS....theyre just rifles.

Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/05/21
I can do head shots on tree rats out to 100 yds with factory 10/22 and mini mags.My Kidd super grade will do them at 200 yds.If you get factory rifle give it about 500 rds for break-in and the best mod would be the trigger.The 10/22 is a lot fo fun.
Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/11/21
The 10/22 has given me more fun than any other rifle I own.Put a good scope and new trigger on the 10/22 and shoot the [bleep] out of it.
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by swampkid
I can do head shots on tree rats out to 100 yds with factory 10/22 and mini mags.My Kidd super grade will do them at 200 yds.If you get factory rifle give it about 500 rds for break-in and the best mod would be the trigger.The 10/22 is a lot fo fun.
Where do you find 200 pound squirells???
Posted By: leomort Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
I bought a Ruger 10/22 before Covid hit and haven't had much of chance to go out and shoot it. So far I've only done minor modifications to it. I put left handed safety in because I'm southpaw. Put in different bolt release, and extended mag release.

What would I need to do to the 10/22 to make it as accurate as CZ bolt 22lr which are know for their accuracy?
Posted By: EdM Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by JimH

Huh?
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
I had a Ruger RSI stainless from Walmart years ago. It was crazy accurate with nothing done to it other than putting a Leupold rimfire scope on it. It did shoot Winchester Power Points better than other ammo. With a steady rest I could call my shots on game out to 50 yards, and at 25 yards on a bench, I could draw smiley faces on paper. Short of a competition shooter, what more could one really ask for with a .22? Buy that .22, figure out what it likes, then go have fun!
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?
Kind of saying if can consistently head shoot a squirrel at 200 yards with any 10/22 the squirrel better have a pretty big head!!! 100 yards with mini mags ain't happening consistently either.
Posted By: 24HourCampFireGuy50 Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?
Kind of saying if can consistently head shoot a squirrel at 200 yards with any 10/22 the squirrel better have a pretty big head!!! 100 yards with mini mags ain't happening consistently either.

A typical squirrel is under 2# so a 200# squirrel is100x bigger. That head could be hit by a shot gun at 200yd.
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?
Kind of saying if can consistently head shoot a squirrel at 200 yards with any 10/22 the squirrel better have a pretty big head!!! 100 yards with mini mags ain't happening consistently either.Unbe

A typical squirrel is under 2# so a 200# squirrel is100x bigger. That head could be hit by a shot gun at 200yd.
Congradulations on your unbelievable math skills!!!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 10/22 - 03/15/21

What kind of 200 yard groups can you routinely shoot with your best ammo, and what is that ammo?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 10/22 - 03/15/21
Where are all these squill coming from?
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Where are all these squill coming from?
Chernobyl?
Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
All I shoot true my 10/22 rifles is mini mags and blazer and the only time I shoot paper is when I sight in a scope.At 100 yds with the Kidd and mini mags I shoot 1" groups.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
Accuracy wise, 10/22s are a crap shoot as they come out of the box.

My advise has long been that if you want a .22 semi-auto to shoot without having to tinker with it, you should buy a Marlin 60. If you want a .22 semi-auto to tinker with, you should buy a 10/22. Now that Ruger owns Marlin there probably won't be any new Marlin 60s.

S&P Outfitters sells a lot of different factory and after-market parts. www.sapoutfitters.com

The only factory stocks that I like for the 10/22s are the mannlincher and modular American Rifle style stocks.
Posted By: 24HourCampFireGuy50 Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My advise has long been that if you want a .22 semi-auto to shoot without having to tinker with it, you should buy a Marlin 60. If you want a .22 semi-auto to tinker with, you should buy a 10/22. Now that Ruger owns Marlin there probably won't be any new Marlin 60s.

S&P Outfitters sells a lot of different factory and after-market parts. www.sapoutfitters.com

The only factory stocks that I like for the 10/22s are the mannlincher and modular American Rifle style stocks.

Ruger has already published the catalog with the model 60.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Ruger has already published the catalog with the model 60.

Really? Do you have a link to it? I looked for a pdf on line, but couldn't find anything for 2021. The2020 catalog that is available as an on line pdf was pre-Ruger.
Posted By: 24HourCampFireGuy50 Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
Someone else posted the link. Look at the last page, it has Ruger's address instead of Remington's.
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
All I shoot true my 10/22 rifles is mini mags and blazer and the only time I shoot paper is when I sight in a scope.At 100 yds with the Kidd and mini mags I shoot 1" groups.
So what kind of groups do you shoot at 200 yards to head shoot squirrels? Can you shoot 1" groups consistently at 100 yards with mini mags? I have 10/22's with various Kidd parts and barrels from Green Mountain,Border,Douglas,Walther and Lilja and generally shoot Eley black box or SK Gold along with Wolf.The Lilja barreled rifle is the best of the bunch and in really good conditions will stay under an inch at 100 yards.
Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
I average 2 to 3 inch groups with my Kidd 10/22 at 200 yds with a flyer no and then.With the Vudoo and center X I shoot 1 1/2 to 2" groups.The Vudoo is much more consistent at 200 yds then the Kidd.I also shoot over 10,000 rds a year and been doing it for many years.And yes the mini mags in my Kidd can shoot 1" groups at 100 yds consistently.I just hope this ammo shortage does not stick around long.
Someone else posted the link. Look at the last page, it has Ruger's address instead of Remington's.

I looked for it, but didn't see it.
Posted By: JimH Re: 10/22 - 03/16/21
I average 2 to 3 inch groups with my Kidd 10/22 at 200 yds with a flyer no and then.With the Vudoo and center X I shoot 1 1/2 to 2" groups.The Vudoo is much more consistent at 200 yds then the Kidd.I also shoot over 10,000 rds a year and been doing it for many years.And yes the mini mags in my Kidd can shoot 1" groups at 100 yds consistently.I just hope this ammo shortage does not stick around long.
That is about what I found possible at 200 yards,using an Anschutz 1411,24x Leupold and Tenex.Used to do a lot of 200 yard plinking after the BR-50 matches at Borden,In.
Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/17/21
Shooting 200 yd rimfire is a-lot of fun to me and it sharpens my centerfire skills.
Posted By: swampkid Re: 10/22 - 03/18/21
Shooting 22 at 100 yds today and wind was really blowing that little 40 gr bullet about 6" to the right.Tried it at 200 with the heavy wind and gave up.
Posted By: cbvh1130 Re: 10/22 - 03/27/21
I own several. Love shooting them. They are not sniper rifle accurate, but neither am I. They are fun though.
© 24hourcampfire