Home
Posted By: GrouseChaser Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
What are some of the most desireable, collectable (or valuble) .22 RF rifles?

I normally don't pay much attention to .22 RF, though I do have a couple Winchester (M61, 63, and 9422). Are any European makes particularly sought after?
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
For myself a BSA International MKIII. Took a few years to find a good one. Anshutz is another one.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Remington 40-x sporter single shot or repeater.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Original Win 52 or 75 sporters, Win 52 E International?

"Desirability" is in the eye of the beholder. They can be pure high end, or just plain interesting or nostalgic to a buyer. A well-made , well-designed firearm is always interesting, and desirable. It doesn't HAVE to be rare or expensive, or " investment grade. " I enjoy my Winchester 310. It's just a nice well-made, accurate, simple, and relatively low-cost rifle.

I recently sold a nice Win 52c target rifle ( not a sporter), and shooting my Anschutz 1411 more. The reason? It's easy to put a scope on my grooved receiver Anschutz 1411. I didn't want to drill and tap my Win 52c. The Win 52c may be more "desirable" and have more upside collector potential than my Anschutz 1411, but TO ME being able to easily mount a scope on my Anschutz makes it more desirable.

To thine own self be true. Own what floats your boat, and meets YOUR criteria for "desirability.".

Posted By: killerv Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
One I had to have was a Win model 63.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21

Steyr Zephyr

Most .22 shooters don't know what this is.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Winchester 1873
Posted By: rbreyley Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Collectors grade Kimbers. Stunning and Big $$
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21

Yeah, Winchester '73 .22 Long Very Desirable !!!
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
I stand by H&K's--270 and 300
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by cisco1

Steyr Zephyr

The Zephyr is a beautiful and very accurate .22 bolt action rifle. I want one.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Winchester 52B Sporter, Springfield 1922 M2 and Anschutz 64 Mannlicher with DST.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Depends. Desirable in what way?

My picks/opinions:

For flat-out accuracy, Anschutz, Winchester 52B/C/D/E, BSA International, IMO. I've used them all and have settled on an International for the long haul.

For aesthetic nostalgia, Springfield M1/M2, Winchester 52A, Stevens 417 Walnut Hill. I love my M2 and Walnut Hill for their accuracy and for being products of my favorite era in gun making, but when the chips are down and I need to "dot the i", I reach for a top-tier gun above. Remington 37 fits in there somewhere too, as well as all the 52 Sporters.

Don't overlook the custom jobs put together by the .22 pros in the 30's-40's. A Ballard, Win 52, Stevens, etc. with a Johnson barrel for example will hold its own with the new stuff and has a certain coolness factor.

Hunting/plinking rifles: the sky's the limit, bounded only by your personal tastes.

Steyr Zephyr: definitely on my "some day" list!!

Autoloaders, chassis rifles, etc. etc. leave me cold. Mere machines without character or soul (to apply human traits to an inanimate object).
As posted above most desirable varies. If talking about a single most universally well know brand for quality in rimfires non model specific I’d go with Anschutz. I’m not always a fan of the stock configurations and more European look Vs classic American style or wood quality for dollar spent. But across a variety of shooting sports Anschutz is universally recognized as a gold standard brand in the rimfire world.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
At the moment it seems the Remington 40X Sporter F grades are pretty close to the top of the heap. You can expect to pay in excess of $10K for one if you can find one...

The Winchester 52C sporters are going up in price recently and have gone from around $2.5K to around $5K in the last few years. 52B Sporters are also climbing, but aren't nearly as rare as the 52Cs and are priced accordingly...

Colt snake pistols are getting out of reach for most collectors these days. Expect to pay $2.5K or more for a nice Diamondback if you can find one these days...

I wouldn't call Anschutz a collector even though they are one of the best rimfires made at any time... since they are still made and you can still order one from the factory any way you want it... still a bit pricy, but affordable compared to the others mentioned..
Posted By: Jmbrown Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
There’s only a couple I haven’t seen talked about yet that I can think of really and that’s the Dakota 22 and the Anschutz Cooper.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Lots of fine rifles already listed. I will add one, Remington 513s.

Manny
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21

Steyr Zephyr

I got a Steyr Zephyr for Christmas 1969. I wanted DSTs but go the single trigger becausse my Father felt that DSTs were dangerous under the best of circumstances.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Something like an engraved Sedgley High Wall. 52 sporters also fit the collectible bill. Canyon Creek 1700 series Anschutz. Engraved Colt Woodsmans and D-backs.

Then there's NFA stuff like Tippman 1919s, AM 180s, and 10/22 conversions.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Collectable and desirable, IMO, may not be the same thing.

I had a 40X sporter (with a mag), chamber was too tight for regular ammo, went down the road. Now as a collector, it's an expensive rifle and if I had kept it, would have made some money. But, if I don't like'em, they go down the road.

Had a Win 52 sporter, an older one, not the new one. It was accurate, just too heavy, it went down the road.

I had a Kimber of Oregon, nice rifle, was accurate, just not as accurate as the above or the one below.

Now, I have a Cooper Classic with Kahles rimfire scope. It's the best of them all and it's a keeper.

Trigger is exceptional, accuracy is first rate, as accurate as any listed above. It's not heavy, and it's easy on the eye. The Kahles rimfire may be one of the best rimfire scopes, but you can't find them. I'm fortunate to have this one.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Ky221 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21

Steyr Zephyr

I'm not even a rimfire shooter and I know what this is. Nothing groundbreaking here.
Posted By: Cjk3006 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
How about the Kimber 82, a fine and accurate .22. Good trigger and it feels like a rifle.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/07/21
Any love for Nula?
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21

This is your huckleberry.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...arwin-hensley-22-lr.cfm?gun_id=101776258
Posted By: PennDog Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
……..to all the ones mentioned so far I’d add Mausers (201 and 340s/350s (a 360 if you a can find one!!)). Working on a Winchester 1885 lowall that I hope to have ready for some of the shoots gnoahhh frequents.

PennDog
Kimbers definitely desireable and highly collectible.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21

I forgot about my Mausers . The sporter that was made to compete with the Win 52 was the Mauser Mm410b. The bolt lift so high scope has to be very high also. But shoots good with irons.

Walther long BBL Sport Modells interesting also.

Dirtfarmer mentioned the Kahles rimfire scopes. I have a couple 2X7 , funny thing not marked rimfire , but 50YD parallax. One could take a Kahles 2x7 AH and adjust the parallax to his likeing. These scopes , in my mind, are the best rimfire scopes out there..

I replaced a 2x7 leupy on a Zephyr and it improved accuracy beyond belief. The clarity and quality of the glass is superb. I don't often use that word.

Hit nrun,

Very nice '73.

Many, many years ago I was at the GS in Vegas at the long gone Riviera. Met this tall dude in a top hat and he was holding a '73 in .22 Long that he had redone for a customer . Doug was owed $ 1700.00 for it and that is what he was selling for.

It was a 3 day show and I shot my wad every day..............
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21

Dirtfarmer mentioned the Kahles rimfire scopes. I have a couple 2X7 , funny thing not marked rimfire , but 50YD parallax. One could take a Kahles 2x7 AH and adjust the parallax to his likeing. These scopes , in my mind, are the best rimfire scopes out there..

I replaced a 2x7 leupy on a Zephyr and it improved accuracy beyond belief. The clarity and quality of the glass is superb. I don't often use that word.

Mine's not marked rimfire either. I was told it was a rimfire scope when I bought it years ago. And as you note, it has the 50 yd. rimfire parallax setting. But parallax can be adjusted.

And, I don't think you've over sold it. It is everything you say it is.

DF
Posted By: 65BR Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
Like to hear about the accuracy and with what ammo in the Cooper above, and about the Zephyr.

Nice rifles guys.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Like to hear about the accuracy and with what ammo in the Cooper above, and about the Zephyr.

Nice rifles guys.

My Cooper shoots most ammo very well, isn't picky.

High end target stuff may edge hunting ammo, but its ability to handle a wide variety of ammo is just another reason why I like this Cooper.

DF
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
Guess on my part, but one that does this is ain't a bad place to start.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That'll work....

DF
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21

Very nice. What’s the distance. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

Very nice. What’s the distance. Hasbeen

Well, as long as you can't see the powder burns.... shocked

It's Kosher... cool

DF
Posted By: killerv Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
Dont laugh but of all the 22s I own, my Winchester 320 would probably be the last to go. Silly accurate and feels like a light well balanced deer rifle. I believe these were the predecessors to the kimbers and even use the same mags.

LGS had a 310 on the used rack, didn't bite because of it being a single shot. Thought better of it and went back a week later and it was gone. But they had the 320 on the rack then. Snatched it up.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
Kimber of Oregon, Custom Classic and Super Grade, are pretty collectible.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/08/21
Cisco, what’s the story on the Zephyr?
Posted By: PennDog Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21

I forgot about my Mausers . The sporter that was made to compete with the Win 52 was the Mauser Mm410b. The bolt lift so high scope has to be very high also. But shoots good with irons.

Cisco have a Mm410b that was sporterized by Johann Springer in 1949 - classy rifle and has period scope also installed by Springer…….was given to me by a good friend in his will. Bolt handle altered but not really necessary with the scope that was used (Hensolt with straight tube that is sub 1”). By far and away my “most desireravle” .22👍

PennDog
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21

PennDog,

Sounds like a keeper. That is the best way to aquire guns and gold.

Best,

Chuck
Posted By: m1919 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21

Chuck is keeping all those beautiful Zephyrs to himself.

Can't blame him ...I would too....

I'll add another vote for the old Mausers...classics that shoot

350...340...410...and others

I'll continue to keep my eye out for a 52 sporting
I would add a Remington 541s to this list. They don't hang around long when one is up for sale.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21
Nice info and DD - great shooting!
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21
The next one…
Posted By: K22 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21
There a several on my list, Cooper, Zephyer, but my KDF K22, Mauser 201, and Kimber Classic K22 (Yonkers) are my favorites. A Sako Quad Hunter I have rates pretty high also.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/09/21

Good Morning All,

The story on the Zephyr................

Bought the 1st one 50 + years ago, for $ 100.00, from a bicycle buyer for Sears. He was at Steyr picking out bikes and the Austrians gave it to him. Not being a shooter he sold it.

It is not grooved SN < 300. I have several others . Steyr started grooving somewhere around SN 500.

Lovely little rifles , and generally quite accurate for the short peckered little rifles that they are.

3 are scoped . 1 with the aforementioned Kahles 2X7. Unless hunting, and I do not do a lot of paper punching....except to sight in , I shoot CCI standard Velocity at paper. I generally shoot at 100M. As for groups , I don't remember , generally keep a

good record of CF ammo and rifles.

2 of the Zephyrs were bought on this forum. I used to run an ad on the much maligned Armslist as a buyer of my favorite rifles.. I do not do that anymore.

I bought a rifle from guy in CA or AK , don't remember, that was a Steyr Zephyr "Standard". Same action, different BBL , non-checkered plain carbine stock. I turned that into a custom . Pacnor tapered octagon BBL . Mannlicher Schoenauer style stock

like they used on the 56 models , with the big scalloped cheekpiece. Straight grained English Walnut. Spiffed up with skeleton pistol grip cap and buttplate to match.

Enough on the Zephyrs.......... 52 Sporters were mentioned . Had several . They are clunkers , but beauties , Like top heavy babes on the slightly + size . Got rid of the 52 Originals and Made up some customs, that's were it's at for me . I like the 52 C

Target rifles because of the excellent triggers. Again tapered octagon BBLS and good wood .

I had 5-6-- 52 repos, again , well made beautiful heavy clunkers. Gun shop called yesterday my last 52 repo was fitted up with an old B&L Balvar 6X24 .

Heading for a funeral..........

Best,

Chuck
Posted By: elkivory Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/11/21
I have /had Klienguenthers, Mausers. all the 580 and 541 series Anchuest,etc.......and my favorites arent on the list.........77/22's and 10/22 are all i need
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/11/21
Back in the late 60’s I was smitten by the Weatherby XXII auto loading rifles.
Their beautiful stocks and adult sized feature were well ahead of their time.
Of course I couldn’t even begin afford one and had to make due with an old Stevens single shot....

A couple of years ago I happen to run into one at a used gun shop and was able to make a very reasonable deal.
It’s a Berreta made model with the deluxe stock and the signature forend and pistol grip contrasting wood caps.
I mounted a Leupold rim fire 3x9 on it and it’s become my favorite ground squirrel shooter.

It no doubt won’t shoot along side some of the great .22 bolt guns that have been mentioned, but it’s accurate enough and is a real pleasure to use.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/11/21
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

The one your Grandfather owned...... and if your lucky and he had brothers theirs as well..... Family history is a real pull.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/11/21
Anschutz 1710 Meister Grade [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sheister Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/11/21
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Anschutz 1710 Meister Grade [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LGS had two of these on consignment with 6.5 -20 Leupold scopes on them for $2500 each... had to pass as they sellers wouldn't budge on the price...
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

The one your Grandfather owned...... and if your lucky and he had brothers theirs as well..... Family history is a real pull.

I would agree, though in my family lineage only two 22's made it down to me... a Monkey Wards single shot that will pepper my face every time and a Woodsman Sport that still sits in a place of honor in the vault.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/12/21
And thanks ALL for your input, opinions, and experiences.

I think I'll start looking for an early Winchester 52.

I seem to be able to find some Target 52s in the $1K range. Should I really expect the "Sporters" to generally inflate to $3K?
Posted By: Sheister Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/12/21
And thanks ALL for your input, opinions, and experiences.

I think I'll start looking for an early Winchester 52.

I seem to be able to find some Target 52s in the $1K range. Should I really expect the "Sporters" to generally inflate to $3K?

Original 52 sporters are already at that stage... The repros aren't there and probably won't be for quite some time.... expect around $1k for the repro sporter 52's
Posted By: m1919 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21

Chaser'

I'm a big fan of the model 52. One in good condition can be had for that price point if you're patient and are looking at the target or repro Sporter models.

Are you wanting single shot or the repeater?

That will help narrow down the year.

We shoot several varieties including repros and they are a blast. I like mine affixed with period scopes.

Good luck with your search.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Collectable and desirable, IMO, may not be the same thing.

I had a 40X sporter (with a mag), chamber was too tight for regular ammo, went down the road. Now as a collector, it's an expensive rifle and if I had kept it, would have made some money. But, if I don't like'em, they go down the road.

Had a Win 52 sporter, an older one, not the new one. It was accurate, just too heavy, it went down the road.

I had a Kimber of Oregon, nice rifle, was accurate, just not as accurate as the above or the one below.

Now, I have a Cooper Classic with Kahles rimfire scope. It's the best of them all and it's a keeper.

Trigger is exceptional, accuracy is first rate, as accurate as any listed above. It's not heavy, and it's easy on the eye. The Kahles rimfire may be one of the best rimfire scopes, but you can't find them. I'm fortunate to have this one.

DF

Dirtfarmer, That's a beauty. Too bad it's wrong (right) handed. smile
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21
Well, a bunch have been through my hands-Mod52A, 52D, custom 10-22, Karl Kenyon Martini, and I still have 2 40x customs, a Rolling Block, 2 mod 37 Remington's one of which was Mike Walker's personal rifle, a Walther KK300 that is my present BR rifle, and a work in progress 1913 Anschutz the UK shooter, Jon Hammond shot in the Olympics. It is being turned into a BR rifle.

I forgot my first-A mod65 H&R leatherneck.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21
A dreamy assortment, Butch!

A note of caution to purchasers of early 52's. If it's a pre-Speed Lock version (circa 1930), be sure to verify that it doesn't have "the crack of doom". The LH bolt lug seat, at the rear of the action, was thin walled on them and prone to developing cracks which won't effect strength much (the RH lug is beefier and actually takes the brunt of the force), but may well affect accuracy by allowing the bolt to do a microscopic jutter on discharge. The crack is reputedly caused by repeated application of the safety, if that appliance is tight. Winchester corrected that fault when they adopted the Speed Lock.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21
Should I really expect the "Sporters" to generally inflate to $3K?

It took me three years of looking to find one for less than $3K and it's only there because it was D&T'd and I don't think the seller really knew what they had. It also wasn't much under $3K.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9472/winchester-52a-sporter#Post16709472
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/13/21
I've owned a large number of .22s over the years, but other than the Remington 33 I inherited from my father, the stable is down to a BSA Martini Model 13; a custom small frame Martini built on Greener take-down action, a Mauser Model 340B and a Walther Sportmodell Meisterbuchse with the Olympic style stock. Of those, other than the Remington, the last one to go would be the custom Martini, which I had engraved by Ken Hurst (the former head of the Colt engraving shop).
Posted By: Bodkin84 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/23/21

I normally don't pay much attention to .22 RF, though I do have a couple Winchester (M61, 63, and 9422). Are any European makes particularly sought after?

You’re going to have to define “desirable” … do you want one that looks pretty or one that will shoot lights out? Because some of the Kimber’s they put out back in the day are nothing short of eye candy!!! Now if you want a factory rifle that will flat shoot I’d say you want a big action Anschutz! I have both, Kimber is a fine rifle and looks beautiful but won’t shoot nothing like My Anschutz 54 Match will!!! If you don’t have a 54 Annie and enjoy accurate rifles that’d be my pick!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/23/21
Originally Posted by Bodkin84

You’re going to have to define “desirable” … do you want one that looks pretty or one that will shoot lights out? Because some of the Kimber’s they put out back in the day are nothing short of eye candy!!! Now if you want a factory rifle that will flat shoot I’d say you want a big action Anschutz! I have both, Kimber is a fine rifle and looks beautiful but won’t shoot nothing like My Anschutz 54 Match will!!! If you don’t have a 54 Annie and enjoy accurate rifles that’d be my pick!

What about a Cooper? Those are beautiful rifles and they tend to shoot well.. Expensive though.

I hear good things about the CZ 452 and 453, though I haven't seen one mention in 4 pages.
Posted By: Whig Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/26/21
Coopers are very nice and shoot well and have wonderful wood but they do have their problems. I had to send one of mine back because the ejector fell out. They had to replace it and tighten things up. Good customer service.

I am shooting much better accuracy with my Anschutz. Scopes and mounting matter.

Many to choose from!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I've owned a large number of .22s over the years, but other than the Remington 33 I inherited from my father, the stable is down to a BSA Martini Model 13; a custom small frame Martini built on Greener take-down action, a Mauser Model 340B and a Walther Sportmodell Meisterbuchse with the Olympic style stock. Of those, other than the Remington, the last one to go would be the custom Martini, which I had engraved by Ken Hurst (the former head of the Colt engraving shop).

Ken Hurst engraved one of my rifles. He did great work, may he RIP
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/27/21
I "had" a nice 1922 M2 Springfield. Should have kept it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/27/21
I updated one of my favorites last week, a military training rifle, .22 LR caliber Lee-Enfield No.2 MkIV with the addition of a kinda rare BSA/Parker-Hale rear aperture target sight.

(Single shot rifle, and the empty cartridge case falls off the extractor and into the hollow .303 magazine. Actually takes quite a few shots to fill it before dumping it out.)
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/27/21
Another vote for the Cooper (should be no surprise there). I have a first year Cooper 57M with a two digit Ser. #. I also had to have a Belgian Browning T-Bolt, which I added this year. I've wanted one since I was a teen and I found one made in 1966 that was in pristine condition. It was a salt gun that Browning restored to new condition and which the owner then put away. That was very desirable to me.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Most desireable .22? - 12/31/21
Always on the lookout for original Winchester M69s. Prefer the M69 over M69A but will buy either if the money asked is right.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Most desireable .22? - 01/01/22
Originally Posted by slm9s
Any love for Nula?

Yes. I was wondering why it wasn’t on here..
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Most desireable .22? - 01/01/22
Originally Posted by PennDog

Cisco have a Mm410b that was sporterized by Johann Springer in 1949 - classy rifle and has period scope also installed by Springer…….was given to me by a good friend in his will. Bolt handle altered but not really necessary with the scope that was used (Hensolt with straight tube that is sub 1”). By far and away my “most desireravle” .22👍

PennDog

Wow....that is the most desirable in a stable of very desirable .22rf....
Posted By: CamNWIA Re: Most desireable .22? - 01/02/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I hear good things about the CZ 452 and 453, though I haven't seen one mention in 4 pages.

CZ makes very nice rifles but they are fairly "common". The 452 and 453 have been discontinued but are still fairly readily available with a little digging.

I have a 452 Ultra Lux and have owned 453's in .22 and .17 HMR, they work well with the set triggers (on the 453's). They are not in the same league as many mentioned previously though. The 453's are scarcer and do have a following with some demand.

I have an Anschutz 54 Match and that gun will shoot circles around any of my CZ's. One of the most precise and crisp triggers I have ever felt.
Posted By: mp44 Re: Most desireable .22? - 01/02/22
Original Winchester 52 Sporter
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Most desireable .22? - 01/02/22
A while back I took a deep breath and made the leap into a pre-war colt ace.
I’ve not regret it since
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/02/22
Some nice ones pictured! Thanks for posting!

In order I have owned a Browning T-bolt T-2 Deluxe from 1969, (beautiful but not super accurate), a Winchester 52E heavy barrel target, a Winchester 52A standard target, a Remington 512, a Browning .22 Auto takedown, a Winchester 75 target, a Remington 541 KS and a Winchester 69A.

The only ones I have today are a Cooper 57M Classic Sporter with a Leupold VX3 4..5-14x40 w/AO and VH reticule. Also a Ruger 10-22 Sporter with the nicest wood I've ever seen on one, upgraded with a custom Shilen barrel and Timney trigger. And finally a very nice CZ 455 switch barrel American Sporter.

As per accuracy, the Winchester 52's, the Cooper Sporter and the Remington 541 KS were tops. For looks the Cooper Sporter, Ruger Sporter and CZ455 American are tops in my book and why they are in the safe, (but get used too).
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/02/22
Remington 40-X Sporter (repeater)
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/02/22
A lot of great rimfire .22s. Many European brands such as Anchütz, Feinwerk, etc.
The US has a lot of great designers, such as Vudoo, Rim X, Volquartsen, Cooper , among many others.

Also pistols such as SW model 41, Volquartsen, Browning target.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/07/22
Originally Posted by buttstock
Original Win 52 or 75 sporters, Win 52 E International?

"Desirability" is in the eye of the beholder. They can be pure high end, or just plain interesting or nostalgic to a buyer. A well-made , well-designed firearm is always interesting, and desirable. It doesn't HAVE to be rare or expensive, or " investment grade. " I enjoy my Winchester 310. It's just a nice well-made, accurate, simple, and relatively low-cost rifle.

I recently sold a nice Win 52c target rifle ( not a sporter), and shooting my Anschutz 1411 more. The reason? It's easy to put a scope on my grooved receiver Anschutz 1411. I didn't want to drill and tap my Win 52c. The Win 52c may be more "desirable" and have more upside collector potential than my Anschutz 1411, but TO ME being able to easily mount a scope on my Anschutz makes it more desirable.

To thine own self be true. Own what floats your boat, and meets YOUR criteria for "desirability.".

Good post buttstock. Here's one I really like. I've shot a lot of 22lr's, but none of them every gave me the satisfaction this one does:
It shoots about MOA with the ammo it likes.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/07/22

Very nice. My cheap Savage MK1 FVT did that on its first group:

The reason it was not in the X-ring. Its always a damn good sign when it does that with the first 10 rounds... You know it's a keeper when that happens..
Posted By: 1minute Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/07/22
I'd like a Cooper, but will have to wait for the wife's demise.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Most desireable .22? - 05/07/22
A Colt Woodsman would be nice
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/13/22
I guess I've taken a different tact. My collection of desireables consists of many that I wanted as a kid, but could never afford.

Savage Anschutz 54 sporter, Annie 1720, Win. 52 sporter (Repro), Rem 541T sporter, 582, 581. Sako M78, P94S. The CZ 452's have filled in for Brnos. Semi's- BAR-22 , 10/22-10/22 Mag, HK-300, BRNO zKM 611. Marlin 39's, M1894M .22 mag...many Pistols, Revolvers. I love the .22/.22 mags. They provide the most diversion of any calibers for all shooters.

452 FS is my current fav, mainly because my son won state 4H with it in sporter class his final year. That or his 581 that he used for 8 years up to that point. As for lusting, I recall the Cooper anschutz in a full stock version. I'd take out a loan to get one of those.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by moosemike
A Colt Woodsman would be nice

Why yes, yes they are.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/13/22
Nice collection Huntsman, I've got a #3 and #4, too.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
It's just fun reading this entire forum as 22's are just FUN!

I've gone through various Anschutz models, 1922 Spflds, M52's. I still use a 40x I had D'Arcy Echols stock with one of his edge stocks, and a real nice Mauser 340, and recently picked up a BSA International MKII I plan on putting on a diet

But I have just about as much fun with my daughters Marlin 39, my son's Win M90 or my Win 9422
A Cooper M57-M Jackson Squirrel Rifle is one of my dream Rimfires
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
I brought home two yesterday that have been at the top of my life long "grail" list (especially the bolt gun!).

Winchester 52B sporter and Winchester 61 in 22 mag.
Both high conidtion.

There aren't a lot of things that excite me as much as getting a new (to me) gun that's been on my list.

Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
Still want another Marlin 39a, but not at the price they're bringing.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
I've lost track of the number of .22 rifles I've owned, but the current ones I purchased and are still in residence are a pre-war Mauser sporter (a Model 420, if I recall correctly), a BSA Model 13 Martini action and a Walther Sportmodell with the Olympic style stock. I still have my dad's Remington Model 33, too, but that's one I'll hand down to my son and hopefully on to his offspring after I'm gone.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
Jsg those are both beauties!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
At one time I owned a Griffin & Howe custom Springfield 1922, foolishly let it go when I was offered twice what I paid for it.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
Hard to say which is my favorite 22...because they all have a special place.

It would probably be a close tie between a Mauser, a Kimber, or the Zephyr.

Or the 52 or 40x

But the Vudoo is hard to ignore.

Pistols would be a Walther, 41, a Woodsman, or a Colt
Posted By: richj Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
I sold the most desirable ones:

Marlin 39 Mountie
Browning A-Bolt
Browningchester 52
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
Vudoo for me and by a goodly margin. Hint...............
Posted By: pete53 Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
i own many 22LR rifles and hand guns but its still hard to beat a Marlin 39 A !
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Jsg those are both beauties!

Thank you, I’m still excited. Rounds were run through each tonight and neither disappointed!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/16/22
I've a "few" 39's and they are Smoothbore Matchlocks,compared to a Vudoo. Hint................
Posted By: kandpand Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/19/22
For me it is a Remington 541S. I have wanted one since I was a teenager. With todays prices I think there are better rifles for less money but I still want one.
Originally Posted by 458Win
It's just fun reading this entire forum as 22's are just FUN!

I've gone through various Anschutz models, 1922 Spflds, M52's. I still use a 40x I had D'Arcy Echols stock with one of his edge stocks, and a real nice Mauser 340, and recently picked up a BSA International MKII I plan on putting on a diet

But I have just about as much fun with my daughters Marlin 39, my son's Win M90 or my Win 9422

This is where I am a too.

I LOVE my Mountie.

A have one or two rifles laying around like most guys, but for pure fun, the Mountie is my favorite.

Posted By: SS336 Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/19/22
I have owned this Kimber Classic since 2002. Use it for anything a .22 rifle can be used for. It’s very accurate with just about ammo I feed it. Over the years I have had quite a few .22 rifles, this is the only one I have now. It works.

Now .22 handguns…..well I have a few, not as many as some people but enough for a while.

Posted By: David_Walter Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/19/22
I have, and my wife has and son has and daughter has, win 9422 rifles that we love. I have a BMR I like and a 10/22 with KIDD improvements that I really like.

The LGS has a long barreled model 39 with a peep sight on consignment for $900, but I think that’s a bit much?

I have them take it down and I look at it almost every time I’m in there.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/19/22
10 yr old Grandson is here this weekend he prefers his Ruger 10-22 because he can shoot faster , makes me laugh watching him shoot .
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: Most desireable .22? - 06/20/22
The most desirable .22 rimfire for me besides what I own is something they don't make. A kipplauf in .22LR with a 20 inch barrel. Very short, can easily take-down in 3 seconds, carry it in the backpack, very light, can keep a round in the chamber with the decocker switch, and very high quality. Scoped with a low-mounted 1" 4 power scope like an old Zeiss.
© 24hourcampfire