Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
I'm not quite sure what to say about this...

[Linked Image from browning.com]
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
I think that rifle is better suited to sporter weight barrel and splinter forend rather than the beaver tail. Like my model 24 Remington…
My gut is a big no..
Posted By: benchman Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Take a tiny, handy, semi automatic 22, and make it into a tactical monster! I'm sure the millennials will love it. I don't.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Why not add an integral suppressor while you're at it?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

May I suggest, “Blecchhh!!!”
Posted By: bhemry Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Maybe it’s an optical illusion, but that looks like an awful lot of drop on the stock for a scope.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Thats unpleasant.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/13/22
Abomination... It's like Browning naming their new inertia shotgun "A5". It is probably a great gun, but it isn't an A5 and there is no reason to tarnish the Auto Five's legacy by sticking it one a new gun of different design.
It wpuld fit right in beside one of the "Tacticool" lever actions.

We used to hear of gilding a turd, this is schidting on a nugget!
Posted By: devnull Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
The word abomination comes to mind here.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
The funky stock angle is probably due to the angle of the magazine tube. Wouldn’t be any ooglier if they’d made the comb more level, and would be more functional.
JMB just rolled over in his grave...
What a great idea... Take a trim, handy, graceful little rifle, and put a bull barrel and a monster stock on it.

The comp on the end of the barrel is what sold me, good thinking, it's going to need it when the 22 LR starts bucking that bull barrel around.

Here's a news flash for the corporate idiocracy and designers at Browning, the existing barrel has enough shoulder for a suppressor when threaded.

Look for them at CDNN for blowout prices in about 4 months.

Jerry
Posted By: dale06 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
I have the SA22 in “short only”
Haven’t shot it in years.
Sure like it better than this ugly thing
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

OMG. What's been seen can't be undone..
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
What a great idea... Take a trim, handy, graceful little rifle, and put a bull barrel and a monster stock on it.

The comp on the end of the barrel is what sold me, good thinking, it's going to need it when the 22 LR starts bucking that bull barrel around.

Here's a news flash for the corporate idiocracy and designers at Browning, the existing barrel has enough shoulder for a suppressor when threaded.

Look for them at CDNN for blowout prices in about 4 months.

Jerry

Then you can rasp off the oogly stock comb and almost have a nice gun, without sights of course.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
It’s a Tacticool Bubba Special. A vertical hand grip under the forearm would really add to it.
For those more recently born who may be wondering about our reactions, this is the original version to which the Challenge is being compared.

And this:

Posted By: Mesa Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/14/22
One of the greatest things about the original Belgian and Remington takes on JMB's little gem is that when taken down they neatly fit into a backpack and can be pulled out, assembled, and up an' shootin' in a jiffy. Anything that impedes that is not an improvement.

I never found my Belgian version especially accurate, probably because the original stock doesn't fit me well. But it certainly shoots well enough to fill a starving hiker's belly with hare, cottontail, squirrel, and fool hen! Full disclosure, I also took the largest brown trout I ever got with it. (How long is the Statute of Limitation on trouticide in Utah? Could I plead reduced mental capacity due to malnutrition?).
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/15/22
I’ve long hankered after one, but know I probably wouldn’t be happy with the accuracy. It’s a work of art nonetheless.
Pappy, come on. There's no amount of filing you can do to that rifle to make it right. Nice try though. Valliant effort in imaginary skills to say the least. The last SA22 I saw was so nice. I should have bought it!!!! It was all original and in perfect condition, and was only $400. That was last year. The rifle was at a pawn shop that I rarely frequent. When I saw I made a mistake by not buying it, I went back and it was gone. I severely kicked my azz for not buying it when I saw it..
Posted By: 700LH Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/15/22
Looks like it would handle about like a club.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/15/22
I've a few Belgian SA-22's and think highly of same. Balance looks like it'd transfer from mid-receiver,to fore of same,though shy of fore end stock retention fastener. That'd simply mean warmer hands,to me. Hint.

The "HUGE" weight difference betwixt it and the "typical" version,is less than 1.5 pounds. I like that the barrel is more "fixed" and the cantilever base,is a sound mechanical notion. Where it gets hurt,is in relative trigger quality,if only due to literal design. KIDD steals that show. Hint.

Were it S/S and Laminate,I'd flog on one,if only to see WTF. Mag changes are gonna hurt it and Ruger again STEALS that Show. The Loudener would be easy to toss offa cliff and one KNOWS going in,that there won't be ANY blowback in the blinkers. A raised comb ain't gonna hurt production either. Hint.

Though in fairness...I actually fhuqking shoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: CCH Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/18/22
Wrong. Just wrong.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/18/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pappy, come on. There's no amount of filing you can do to that rifle to make it right. Nice try though. Valliant effort in imaginary skills to say the least. The last SA22 I saw was so nice. I should have bought it!!!! It was all original and in perfect condition, and was only $400. That was last year. The rifle was at a pawn shop that I rarely frequent. When I saw I made a mistake by not buying it, I went back and it was gone. I severely kicked my azz for not buying it when I saw it..

Some decades ago there was one featured in a magazine with a full bull barrel, but no forend, and maybe some trickery to tighten up the connection. Standard stock though, so better looking than this wretched mess. Might not be quite as oogly as those tactical lever actions with the AR stocks, but it’s close.

Some things should just be left as-is.
Posted By: Rolltide Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/19/22
It's almost like someone at Browning said "hey, we need something for people to use in comps"...without understanding how matches are run...
Posted By: tmitch Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/19/22
Actully they said; "愚かなアメリカ人が買うと思うものをデザインする" (Orokana amerikahito ga kau to omou mono o dezain suru)
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/19/22
I rather enjoy Sleepers and it'd be funnier than fhuqk,if the "new" barrel mounting system,shone brightly. Hint................
Originally Posted by tmitch
Actully they said; "愚かなアメリカ人が買うと思うものをデザインする" (Orokana amerikahito ga kau to omou mono o dezain suru)

Well played sir...lol!
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I rather enjoy Sleepers and it'd be funnier than fhuqk,if the "new" barrel mounting system,shone brightly. Hint................

I'm betting it helps, but all of the comps that I'm aware of require a removable magazine and won't allow anything tube-fed.

I'm surprised they didn't go carbon like they did with the Buckmark rifle.

My Buckmark rifle isn't carbon barreled, but is a RIOT when shooting Steel Challenge.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/19/22
My LAST thought was "Comp's",just a Giggles Play Toy. I've had/have lotsa' 241's/SA-22's and they are fhuqking RELIABLE and that ain't not ever a poor start. Blued/Walnut is lost upon me and I'll never savvy the intro of same Today. Hint.

"Tradition" makes less than zero fhuqks to me,but Mechanics assuredly do and I'd be curious to see how this offering does. Hint...............
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/20/22
If a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 can run with an aluminum receiver (AND be made in takedown versions), they SHOULD be able to make a sa-22 that does as well. That, and a lightweight barrel (steel liner/aluminum shrouded, with enough steel in the shank to attach that cantilever scope mount adequately), along with a LIGHTWEIGHT synthetic stock, would have been something.

I’m not sure WHAT a heavy bull barrel, adds to this package.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/20/22
Increased mass,is easier to shoot,less fhuqking around and coming in second with proprietary bullschit. Hint................
Posted By: mp44 Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/20/22
Does anyone have the standard in stock? When I purchased mine in 2019 my local Bass Pro happened to have one left and everyone else it was OOS. I check periodically and have never found them in stock. I thought they quit manufacturing them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Browning SA-22 Challenge - 02/20/22
Too easy to grab Teutonic and bask in the sanctity of superiority,for less jingle. Hint..............
© 24hourcampfire