Home
Posted By: Jiveturkey Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
Anybody use em, and how do you like em? Thinking of getting one for a henry.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
I put one on a BL-22 two years ago. Love it. I went with the tallest front post Skinner offered, thinking I'd file if necessary. It wasn't, the tall post was what I wanted. I can't see regular open sights well anymore, but with the Skinner I do quite well. The little rifle goes on walkabouts with me a lot! Still carries like a lever action rifle should.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
Great sights. My favorite peep out there!
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
My eyesight on irons is not what it used to be. Glad you like yours, think I'll try a couple
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
The thing with any aperture rear sight is for maximum benefit it needs to be positioned as close to the eyeball as possible. The Skinner sight is a compromise in that regard - mounted out on the barrel far ahead of the eye, the eye/brain mechanism doesn't digest the automatic centering of a circle as effortlessly as it would if mounted behind the receiver, plus you sacrifice a huge amount of sight radius which is a factor in accurate shooting. There's a reason you have never seen, nor will you ever see, an aperture sight mounted out on the barrel of a serious competitor's rifle, and we duffers should pay more heed to lessons those fellas learned the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, it's a compromise but not a deal breaking compromise. On a personal level I've tried them and found them lacking.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
I installed one of the Skinner sights on my Winchester 94-22 magnum.

Added a white dot to the front at the same time.

Great sights for older eyes!

Virgil B.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The thing with any aperture rear sight is for maximum benefit it needs to be positioned as close to the eyeball as possible. The Skinner sight is a compromise in that regard - mounted out on the barrel far ahead of the eye, the eye/brain mechanism doesn't digest the automatic centering of a circle as effortlessly as it would if mounted behind the receiver, plus you sacrifice a huge amount of sight radius which is a factor in accurate shooting. There's a reason you have never seen, nor will you ever see, an aperture sight mounted out on the barrel of a serious competitor's rifle, and we duffers should pay more heed to lessons those fellas learned the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, it's a compromise but not a deal breaking compromise. On a personal level I've tried them and found them lacking.

Who said anything about a barrel mounted aperture sight on this thread, besides you?
This is where they typically mount on most levers or pumps.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Pretty fast sight.
Thumbs up on the silver lid choice.
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Thumbs up on the silver lid choice.

Ha. Thanks OG54!

I know they make one that mounts on the barrel, but mine is the standard receiver mounted sight. I use it as a ghost ring unless I'm shooting paper from a rest. I'm imoressed how fast and accurate the aperture sight is, and how forgiving it is of older eyes
Posted By: EdM Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22

Who said anything about a barrel mounted aperture sight on this thread, besides you?

Apparently he knows little of Skinner Sights.

http://skinnersights.com/henry-repeating-arms.html
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22

That's where I always saw them mounted before I started to categorically ignore them. Even mounting them on a bolt or way up on a receiver is a less than ideal spot optically. Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.

That's where I always saw them mounted before I started to categorically ignore them. Even mounting them on a bolt or way up on a receiver is a less than ideal spot optically. Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.

Well that ain't now.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.
Because to be one of the cool kids you gotta have a skinner. No thanks, I'll stick with my Williams. They've served me well for near 50 years and the Skinners are goofy looking things.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.
Because to be one of the cool kids you gotta have a skinner. No thanks, I'll stick with my Williams. They've served me well for near 50 years and the Skinners are goofy looking things.

Oh my.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/04/22
I doubt I'll get one. It would have to replace rear sight (barrel mounted). I don't believe that'll be a benefit over factory Buckhorn. If I could mount on receiver closer to my eye it would be similar to a peep on a bow. I'd have to check someone else's rifle with a barrel mount before I'd buy one.
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I doubt I'll get one. It would have to replace rear sight (barrel mounted). I don't believe that'll be a benefit over factory Buckhorn. If I could mount on receiver closer to my eye it would be similar to a peep on a bow. I'd have to check someone else's rifle with a barrel mount before I'd buy one.

What?
You can get a receiver mounted aperture sight, and a blank to fill the dovetail in the barrel after you remove the factory rear sight. You would probably need a taller front sight, you have to shoot to know for sure. A receiver aperture sight is, in my experience, way better than factory open sights, especially if you have older eyes. But some folks shoot factory open sights quite well.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/05/22
I have a Williams 5D mounted on my old Marlin 94 25-20 and a Skinner Express on a 336 38-55. I prefer the Skinner. They are almost identical distance from the rear of the receiver.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Skinner peep sight - 08/05/22
Skinner is more elegant, but any receiver sight is good!
© 24hourcampfire