Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody use em, and how do you like em? Thinking of getting one for a henry.

Romans 5:1
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put one on a BL-22 two years ago. Love it. I went with the tallest front post Skinner offered, thinking I'd file if necessary. It wasn't, the tall post was what I wanted. I can't see regular open sights well anymore, but with the Skinner I do quite well. The little rifle goes on walkabouts with me a lot! Still carries like a lever action rifle should.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great sights. My favorite peep out there!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My eyesight on irons is not what it used to be. Glad you like yours, think I'll try a couple

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The thing with any aperture rear sight is for maximum benefit it needs to be positioned as close to the eyeball as possible. The Skinner sight is a compromise in that regard - mounted out on the barrel far ahead of the eye, the eye/brain mechanism doesn't digest the automatic centering of a circle as effortlessly as it would if mounted behind the receiver, plus you sacrifice a huge amount of sight radius which is a factor in accurate shooting. There's a reason you have never seen, nor will you ever see, an aperture sight mounted out on the barrel of a serious competitor's rifle, and we duffers should pay more heed to lessons those fellas learned the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, it's a compromise but not a deal breaking compromise. On a personal level I've tried them and found them lacking.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I installed one of the Skinner sights on my Winchester 94-22 magnum.

Added a white dot to the front at the same time.

Great sights for older eyes!

Virgil B.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The thing with any aperture rear sight is for maximum benefit it needs to be positioned as close to the eyeball as possible. The Skinner sight is a compromise in that regard - mounted out on the barrel far ahead of the eye, the eye/brain mechanism doesn't digest the automatic centering of a circle as effortlessly as it would if mounted behind the receiver, plus you sacrifice a huge amount of sight radius which is a factor in accurate shooting. There's a reason you have never seen, nor will you ever see, an aperture sight mounted out on the barrel of a serious competitor's rifle, and we duffers should pay more heed to lessons those fellas learned the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, it's a compromise but not a deal breaking compromise. On a personal level I've tried them and found them lacking.

Who said anything about a barrel mounted aperture sight on this thread, besides you?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is where they typically mount on most levers or pumps.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Pretty fast sight.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thumbs up on the silver lid choice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Thumbs up on the silver lid choice.

Ha. Thanks OG54!

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I know they make one that mounts on the barrel, but mine is the standard receiver mounted sight. I use it as a ghost ring unless I'm shooting paper from a rest. I'm imoressed how fast and accurate the aperture sight is, and how forgiving it is of older eyes

Last edited by 300_savage; 08/04/22.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Who said anything about a barrel mounted aperture sight on this thread, besides you?

Apparently he knows little of Skinner Sights.

http://skinnersights.com/henry-repeating-arms.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

That's where I always saw them mounted before I started to categorically ignore them. Even mounting them on a bolt or way up on a receiver is a less than ideal spot optically. Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

That's where I always saw them mounted before I started to categorically ignore them. Even mounting them on a bolt or way up on a receiver is a less than ideal spot optically. Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.

Well that ain't now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.
Because to be one of the cool kids you gotta have a skinner. No thanks, I'll stick with my Williams. They've served me well for near 50 years and the Skinners are goofy looking things.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Why the great stampede away from receiver sights and tang sights? You get a helluva lot more windage and elevation with them to boot.
Because to be one of the cool kids you gotta have a skinner. No thanks, I'll stick with my Williams. They've served me well for near 50 years and the Skinners are goofy looking things.

Oh my.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I doubt I'll get one. It would have to replace rear sight (barrel mounted). I don't believe that'll be a benefit over factory Buckhorn. If I could mount on receiver closer to my eye it would be similar to a peep on a bow. I'd have to check someone else's rifle with a barrel mount before I'd buy one.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I doubt I'll get one. It would have to replace rear sight (barrel mounted). I don't believe that'll be a benefit over factory Buckhorn. If I could mount on receiver closer to my eye it would be similar to a peep on a bow. I'd have to check someone else's rifle with a barrel mount before I'd buy one.

What?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get a receiver mounted aperture sight, and a blank to fill the dovetail in the barrel after you remove the factory rear sight. You would probably need a taller front sight, you have to shoot to know for sure. A receiver aperture sight is, in my experience, way better than factory open sights, especially if you have older eyes. But some folks shoot factory open sights quite well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Williams 5D mounted on my old Marlin 94 25-20 and a Skinner Express on a 336 38-55. I prefer the Skinner. They are almost identical distance from the rear of the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,334
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.