Home
Posted By: EdM Browning Challenger - 10/12/22
I came across a very high condition early Belgium made piece today selling for less than than any other "new" semi-auto 22 RF in the case. Are there any owners here that can comment on the piece, reliability, accuracy and magazine availability?
Posted By: one65r Re: Browning Challenger - 10/12/22
How cheap is cheap? Condition? If it’s REALLY clean and under $450, I’d snatch it up. Box? Mags? Just like the older Buckmarks, Rugers, or High Standard autos, they were very well made pistols.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Browning Challenger - 10/13/22
Ed..have a challenger and like it quite a bit. One of the earlier .22’s I ever purchased

Don’t recall ever having a feed/function issue. Nice trigger and just fine in the accuracy dept
Posted By: EdM Re: Browning Challenger - 10/13/22
Great. I picked it up yesterday. It appears to be little used. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Browning Challenger - 10/13/22
The early Belgium made Challengers are fantastic pistols with great triggers. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Posted By: one65r Re: Browning Challenger - 10/14/22
Post some pics. Did you look it up to see what year?
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Browning Challenger - 10/14/22
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun.
Mags are expensive if you can find them.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Browning Challenger - 10/14/22
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun. Manufacture 1982
Posted By: johnw Re: Browning Challenger - 10/14/22
I'd jump on one if I found it.
Especially at the price and condition you found that one

I'm struggling not to buy the Woodsman on Fugate's page.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Browning Challenger - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by Traveler52
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun. Manufacture 1982

Your gun is the Challenger II. I believe 1982 was the last year for the II model before they started the Challenger III.
Posted By: EdM Re: Browning Challenger - 10/15/22
Mine dates to 1967 I believe, XXXXU7 serial number? The trigger is indeed very nice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: johnw Re: Browning Challenger - 10/16/22
Nice Pickup, EdM

I'd fall hard for something like that on a shelf. And at the price of a new rimfire pistol today, say $500-650 or so, it's a better value than when it was new
Posted By: EdM Re: Browning Challenger - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by johnw
Nice Pickup, EdM

I'd fall hard for something like that on a shelf. And at the price of a new rimfire pistol today, say $500-650 or so, it's a better value than when it was new

I gave asking price, $450 out the door. Crazy with "equivalent" Ruger's and Browning's next to it for more. I'm traveling so will not take it shooting for another week or two. I own both Ruger's and a Browning that I am pleased with but this piece wreaks of old school weather "better" or not.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Browning Challenger - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Mine dates to 1967 I believe, XXXXU7 serial number? The trigger is indeed very nice.

Looks to be in great shape. Congrats.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Browning Challenger - 10/18/22
That's a great deal now. I bought a Challenger and a Medalist at the same time from a seller a few years back for $500 for the pair. Sold the Challenger for $400 the next week. The Medalist is a favorite of mine. Should have kept the Challenger too.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Browning Challenger - 10/18/22
Here's mine. Purchased new my father in 1969. It's got a light coat of RIG grease, so that the "gooey" stuff you can see in a few spots.

Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Browning Challenger - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by Timbo
Here's mine. Purchased new my father in 1969. It's got a light coat of RIG grease, so that the "gooey" stuff you can see in a few spots.

I have one just like that. I also have the factory 4½" barrel for it. It was mfg'd in 1968. About a year after I bought it, I was in a gun store in Encino, Calif., The Pony Express Gun Store, and they carried Browning guns and accessories. I bought two Browning Belgian factory magazines for the Challenger, which at that time were about $8.00 each. I still have the original box and papers.

I love to shoot it and I taught my late wife how to shoot handguns with that Challenger. Over a period of time, she became a very good shot.

L.W.
Posted By: EdM Re: Browning Challenger - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by Timbo

Very nice. It appears they did the front sight design change early on.
Posted By: johnw Re: Browning Challenger - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by johnw
Nice Pickup, EdM

I gave asking price, $450 out the door. Crazy with "equivalent" Ruger's and Browning's next to it for more. I'm traveling so will not take it shooting for another week or two. I own both Ruger's and a Browning that I am pleased with but this piece wreaks of old school weather "better" or not.

Better days.. Better ways...

Forgive the thread derail, and forgive my ignorance, but it looks to me that the Buckmark and the Challenger are mechanically identical. Was the Challenger mostly made of steel? I'll admit to ignoring Browning handguns for a long time, and the Buckmark was likely around for a decade or more before I noticed it wasn't the older Browning .22 pistol of the Gun Digest type rags.

Seems to me that if you wanted something different in the Challenger that you had a choice of barrel lengths. The Buckmark seems to spawn a new variation in sights, barrel, finish, or grip contour/composition about every week or so.
The Buckmark is only obviously the descendant of the Challenger. Was the change between the two initiated when production of the Challenger ceased in Belgium?
IIRC the earlier Buckmarks resembled the Challenger's look. And that's probably partly why I didn't notice the "new" pistol on the market. Were all the Buckmark variations always available, or when did that begin?
Posted By: Timbo Re: Browning Challenger - 10/20/22
The Buckmark and Challenger aren't exactly mechanically identical. There are even differences in the various Challengers. The Challenger was made of steel. That started changing with the replacement models. The Challenger was made in Belgium. It was replaced with the Japanese made Challenger II, then the III. Finally the III was replaced in 1985 or so with the Buckmark.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Browning Challenger - 10/21/22
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Mine says made in USA
Challenger II
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Browning Challenger - 10/21/22
I had a Belgium made Challenger for a while, nice handgun but I didn't care for the grip angle.
Posted By: johnw Re: Browning Challenger - 10/22/22
Different series of Challengers made in various locales. Wanna say that I like them all with the slender barrels and beautiful wood grips.

Really doesn't take much to push my "want" button. It was the same way with the $150 Buckmark.

Just got the Buckmark out and looked it over. Helps to quell the "want" fire. It's a fine rimfire pistol really. Minus the beautiful grips and slender blued barrel.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Browning Challenger - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Mine says made in USA
Challenger II

I was shooting from memory. Maybe it was the III that was Japanese made. I've owned all the versions at one time or another, but the original will never leave for sentimental reasons. Plus it shoots so darn well.
© 24hourcampfire