Home
Recently dug through some stuff left in my mother's estate and found a Mossberg 142A 22LR rifle in almost mint condition. Built in late 40s or early 50s with the early T-Bolt bolt handle (looks like a depth charge), the flip-down wood forearm tip (ala Tommy Gun) and very well patina'd. Much of the bluing is now almost browning.
I had forgotten I owned one - - it was the very first firearm I ever had. Bet there's been less that 5-6 boxes of ammo through it. Mostly misses on rabbits in SW Ohio. Bought new at Sears with a side mounted peep sight which is now gone. I ran an Eezox patch down the barrel and it it looks mint. I have two Anschutz Model 54 Sporters, well modified by Frankonia Jagd, which I can waste all the money any sane man can gather to "doll them up". Think I might get a cheap (but serviceable) 4X scope with rings for the grooves and see what kind of groups it can make. I am amazed how robust the construction is. The two original magazines have enough metal and work in them than make a new set of Redding Rifle Dies.
Anyone have experience with this grand old model to share with the forum? BTW, it is not for sale.

Don Boyd

Don;

NICE find!

I have one of the 151M(a)t versions, and it's a fantastic shooter. The older Mossberg .22s are normally quite accurate, and can be found at a huge bargain.
And here's the next chapter in my "Leatherneck" Mossberg. I shared the story of "re-finding" my old 22 with several members of my Shooting Club. One member replied, Hey I've got a 1940's vintage Weaver 4 power scope with a small dent in the tube that has no effect on either optics or adjustments, you can have. Been collecting dust for several decades. OK, I just went over and brought back my 'new' scope. Guys, you all better line up behind me to go lottery ticket shopping. The scope is a pristine Weaver K2.5, made in El Paso, standard crosshair without a scratch anywhere, glass or metal. The small dent looks like what a BB would do (but I don't know any BB that could ruffle this scope's feathers whatsoever). I hope�my next post is a respectable 50 yd group.

Don Boyd

Consider that my Mossberg with a K8 puts 10 into a silver dollar at 100, yours should do JUST fine.

Neat old rifles.
© 24hourcampfire