Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Recently dug through some stuff left in my mother's estate and found a Mossberg 142A 22LR rifle in almost mint condition. Built in late 40s or early 50s with the early T-Bolt bolt handle (looks like a depth charge), the flip-down wood forearm tip (ala Tommy Gun) and very well patina'd. Much of the bluing is now almost browning.
I had forgotten I owned one - - it was the very first firearm I ever had. Bet there's been less that 5-6 boxes of ammo through it. Mostly misses on rabbits in SW Ohio. Bought new at Sears with a side mounted peep sight which is now gone. I ran an Eezox patch down the barrel and it it looks mint. I have two Anschutz Model 54 Sporters, well modified by Frankonia Jagd, which I can waste all the money any sane man can gather to "doll them up". Think I might get a cheap (but serviceable) 4X scope with rings for the grooves and see what kind of groups it can make. I am amazed how robust the construction is. The two original magazines have enough metal and work in them than make a new set of Redding Rifle Dies.
Anyone have experience with this grand old model to share with the forum? BTW, it is not for sale.

Don Boyd

Model 70 Forever
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Don;

NICE find!

I have one of the 151M(a)t versions, and it's a fantastic shooter. The older Mossberg .22s are normally quite accurate, and can be found at a huge bargain.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
And here's the next chapter in my "Leatherneck" Mossberg. I shared the story of "re-finding" my old 22 with several members of my Shooting Club. One member replied, Hey I've got a 1940's vintage Weaver 4 power scope with a small dent in the tube that has no effect on either optics or adjustments, you can have. Been collecting dust for several decades. OK, I just went over and brought back my 'new' scope. Guys, you all better line up behind me to go lottery ticket shopping. The scope is a pristine Weaver K2.5, made in El Paso, standard crosshair without a scratch anywhere, glass or metal. The small dent looks like what a BB would do (but I don't know any BB that could ruffle this scope's feathers whatsoever). I hope�my next post is a respectable 50 yd group.

Don Boyd

Model 70 Forever
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Consider that my Mossberg with a K8 puts 10 into a silver dollar at 100, yours should do JUST fine.

Neat old rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (badwolf, 300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,367 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,884
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.