Home
The Hunter Safety Education committee at the gun club is currently in the process of restocking 22 ammo for the upcoming HSE classes. I purchased some Remington Golden Bullet 36 grain hollow points a couple of weeks ago and this week purchased the same, however the boxes are marked NEW AND IMPROVED!

Marketing tactic or has Remington improved the GB?

[Linked Image]
New smaller box with the improved large box pricing?
Roundoak: In recent years and in the past our Hunter Education group has used the Remington 525 packs you have depicted in our 8 Marlin bolt action clip fed Rifles.
We always expect and deal with about 1 fail to fire per 100 rounds chambered.
I used to use this ammo years ago personally and it was more reliable for Varminting and small game than it is of recent.
It was accurate enough but not special in that regard either.
It used to be cheap and easy to find - not anymore!
I (we!) have not used the new and improved Remington ammo as yet - in fact we would use (and deal with) anything we could get in the way of 22 L.R. ammo!
Good luck in restocking and I hope the new and improved Remington ammo is just that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG, our experience with the Remington bulk pack ammo failures is about the same as yours. Until now it was always available and cheap.

Our HSE guns are a mixed bag of Remington 512s and 514s and one Remington 121.
Wayne
There was a discussion on Rimfire Central a short while back that referred to Remington updating their rimfire priming equipment. If so, their New ammunition should be Improved.
The "new and improved" are considerably more consistant from an ignition point of view than the old bulk packs. I like them. Remington golden bullets always shot pretty well for high speed ammo over the years. They are a little dirty, but that doesn't particularly bother me.
I swore off the Golden Bullets years ago. I was getting about 1 in 20 misfires. A couple months back, after the panic, I ran across a couple of 225 round boxes at Wally World for $9.99 a piece. They said "new and improved", so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Took them out and fired a couple hundred rounds (would have expected 5-10 misfires with the old stuff)in a few Ruger MK II's with nary a problem. So, based on this limited experience, I'd say they ARE new and improved.
fburgtx and slingshot, your reports are good info, because the club is getting more "improved".

Wayne
Never my favorite ammo. So any improvement would be a step in the right direction.
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I swore off the Golden Bullets years ago. I was getting about 1 in 20 misfires. A couple months back, after the panic, I ran across a couple of 225 round boxes at Wally World for $9.99 a piece. They said "new and improved", so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Took them out and fired a couple hundred rounds (would have expected 5-10 misfires with the old stuff)in a few Ruger MK II's with nary a problem. So, based on this limited experience, I'd say they ARE new and improved.

Mirrors my experience with the old stuff... that and the "pattern" shooting someone else mentioned (most likely due to inconsistent ignition/velocities I'd wager a guess). Still working off the last box of that crap.

I'll have to try a box of the new stuff if I see any.
I have not shot Remington golden bullets for years. It was at the bottom of my list. Poor shooting and gummy in hot weather. I have not tried the new and improved, but anything would be an improvement. Good shooting
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I have not shot Remington golden bullets for years. It was at the bottom of my list. Poor shooting and gummy in hot weather. I have not tried the new and improved, but anything would be an improvement. Good shooting

They were "gummy" in cold weather too whistle
Nice to see that Remington has seen the light and improved it, might give it a try next time I ever see any .22 RF for sale at normal prices.
I used Golden Bullet ammo some years back with misfire rates around the 1 in 20 already mentioned. Also, accuracy was lousy...even WW wildcats shot better. Haven't touched RP 22 ammo since.
"New & Improved" the two biggest scam words any company ever used for marketing purposes.

Probably the same ole cheap sorry ass .22 ammo Remington has been putting out for years! Just in a new smaller & more expensive package!

The ONLY ammo I ever buy from Remington is their Cor-Lock .308 stuff.
i work the shooting range at summer camp each year for the week i'm down there with our troop (S-F) and the last 4 years they have been shooting Rem ammo. i'm a bit curious to see what they have this year when i get down there. anyway for the week i'm at the range everyday i would say we too would have at least 1 FTF for every 100 rnds shot. and not by the same rifle either (8 rifles at a time shooting. i truely hope remington has improved their ammo Lord knows they needed to. anyway when i get down there in June i'll see what they are shooting and if it happens to be the new stuff i'll be sure to try to document the performance for the week. should be several thousand rounds in those 5 days, should be enough to get a general idea of the overall quality. heck i just hope they have enough on hand for the scouts to shoot this year.
I'm totally surprised. I have eleven boxes and one bucket of Remington .22 LR ammo on the .22 shelf in the garage. I have been shooting this ammunition in my Ruger .22/45s and my Ruger "tactical" 10.22 without any problem for several years. I admit that I clean my weapons regularly and that most of my friends think that I am being obsessive - compulsive, but facts is facts. In my CLEAN weapons I have never - ever - had a jam, failure to fire, or any other problemn with this ammo that wasn't directly linked to worn out magazine lips. I have had two .22/45 magazines that jammed with Remington ammo - and with all of the other ammo I have on hand. Those magazines were sent to noble retirement in a land-fill.

I a,m not a Remingto=n apologist, but that has been my experience. I hope that all of youze wih "haunted" Remington ammo didn't jinx me.

Terry
Terry, I hope we don't jinx you - but I have tried misfired GB cartridges in my various .22s until I had firing pin marks all around the rim, with no bang. The depth of the pin marks told me the hammer strikes were fine, but there was just no primer in the rim. If I can't get a cartridge to go bang in a 22/45, a 39a, a Contender, OR a Savage target rifle I've used with pleasure for 50 years, I blame the cartridge. I also blame the cartridge when I get split cases in a weapon that has never split a case before.

Most GBs go "bang", but several per hundred go "click", a few go "pop" and kick dirt halfway downrange, and a few others go "boom" and launch the bullet off toward Giles County. When GBs were cheap, they were adequate for tin can rolling.

I am not a Remington hater, but that has been my experience.

Carl
I've had so many mis-fires with Remington 22 ammo over the years that I am almost surprised when one goes off! I've tried many different Remington ammo through guns ranging from cheapo single shots up to Kimber Super America's and everything in between and their was a problem with everyone of them.

When I got into suppresors the only sub sonics I could find was Remington sub-sonics and there were so many mis-firesI shot less than a box of the brick I bought and haven't touched it since. Maybe I should scalp it? LOL!
the poor performance of remingtons rimfire ammo has been thorn in their side for some time now. i would have to think they (remington) have taken it in the shorts in sales even by todays standards and have finally addressed the poor quality control. i hope so, it's hard enough to find any ammo these days, it's a double edge sword though if the stuff you end up buying doesn't go off half the time. i can't recall the last time i ever had a FTF with my mini mags, even blazers fire for me everytime but about 1 out of each box of 50 will have a noticable report of lesser power. i'll be happy to buy Remingtons again if they have fixed their problem but until they have i wont.
Given the current shortages, I would buy some even if not "new and improved" at this point!
Duckster: I agree with you 100%!
I currently would buy either the new and improved or the old and needs improving stuff!
I think this is at least the fifth month of this "shortage" and I am getting tired and cranky because of it.
I am a big proponent of Remington arms and centerfire ammo but this trouble with the bulk pack Golden Bullets over the last 6 to 10 years has troubled me.
Many years back their Yellow Jackets and Wasps line did well for me then the Golden Bullets did fine but then trailed off in reliability.
I don't know why?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It's well known that at least one of Remington's .22 rimfire lines had a lot of trouble getting priming compound into the rim of .22 ammo. Remington has admitted it, in writing, several times, to posters over on rimfirecentral.com.

The problem was, they didn't shut down that line and fix it, they just kept on churning out crap. For years. All the while, they knew it had problems.

Lately, some of the more adventurous folks (or desperate, take your pick) on rimfirecentral have tried the "new and improved" GBs, and the reports are sorta ambivalent. Yes, it's more reliable, but it shoots like crap. Buyer beware, caveat emptor, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Unless and until I use up all the GOOD stuff I have on hand, I'm not desperate enough to buy any.
It's hard to forgive when a product line has been flat out crappy for so long!
VarmentGuy i had some of those YellowJackets back around early 90's and they shot well. i think i still have a box of 50 sitting somewhere. anyway if i run out of rimfire ammo and all i could buy was Rem, well having 90% of my rounds go off is better than no rounds at all going off i guess. but i sure hope it don't get to that!
As far as cleaning goes...I was shooting the RP stuff out of a bolt action that had no problems with Federal, WW, CCI, Eley, Lapua, RWS. An occasional misfire with the others but not constant like the RP. And it wasn't just RP Golden either, but target ammo (blue band on box) and Yellow Jackets. Perhaps they've improved now...maybe I'll try some again if 22 ammo ever comes back around here.
Other than the FTF issue, if they've gotten rid of the $#%& goo, then I might give 'em a whirl again someday?

Actually have quite a bit of the old stuff around, but they're all in some sort of commemorative tins or festive Earnhardt Jr boxes. Haven't fired a round of Rem 22 ammo in many years.
I shot some of the "new" golden bullets today.
Yes they went bang
Yest the bullet exited the barrel.
No they did not group worth a [bleep].
Hell, these days new and improved means available smile
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I shot some of the "new" golden bullets today.
Yes they went bang
Yest the bullet exited the barrel.
No they did not group worth a [bleep].

Got some of the "new" stuff at Wally World a few months back. Shot thru a 10/22 that pretty much puts decent stuff in an 1" group. New stuff was "spray & pray. Very disappointed! Just have to stay with my "stash" of CCI. Surprisingly enough--thru a Colt 1911 type .22lr,, the Rems showed some promise--go figure??
yes i'll save the GB for the kid to play with. i'm down to my last 500 rnds of mini mags. then it's a a few hundred of blazers or 400 velositor, then i'm screwed!
I'm waiting until you lads test out the "NEW" Golden crap and see how it feeds, fires and groups before I'm a buyer again.

Just been disappointed too often in the past to step up and throw down any money on their rimfire ammo.
I'll get rid of all my .22s before I'm ever forced to purchase Remington fodder again.
Just saw on rimfire central that Remington is recalling Thunderbolt ammo. Google it.
Originally Posted by Plinker
Just saw on rimfire central that Remington is recalling Thunderbolt ammo. Google it.

They should have recalled the last 10 years of it: Soft lead that peels off in the bore, worthless priming that gives duds at a higher rate than any other .22 I've fired, poor accuracy and terrible velocity variations (mostly from the lack of priming no doubt).
Remington's .22lr ammo hasn't been decent for at least 10 years if not longer. That priming problem is the main culprit. I've had failure rates as high as 10-15% in cold weather. This is shooting it through an Anschutz, a 10/22 and a Buckmark, all of which shoot everything else without flaw. Winchester has periodic quality issues, but CCI and Federal have been darn near flawless during the past decade while Remington has fallen to the absolute bottom of my ammo choices.
I want to start by saying that I believe every one of you, but here is what I don't understand. If Remington keeps making crap, why does anyone bother buying it? Some vain hope that they've improved production? Or is it something else?

I try Remington ammunition every couple of years, but it continues to disappoint. I honestly cannot remember when I bought a box that I would take into the field. For hunting, Win or Federal is all I bother with. It's been that way for at least 30 years.

That said, what QC is Remington performing? I cannot believe that everything they make is absolute garbage. Even if their QC was crap, most of it wouldn't be sent out of the plant. So, I guess what I'm asking is this: Is it a 'pile on Remington' thing, much like people poo poo Lee and Savage rifles? Honestly, I'm at a loss to understand.

1. They continue to produce it, so there must be sufficient demand.
2. They cannot be running at a loss, or they would have stopped production.
3. Are there any hunters/shooters left at Remington?

This Internets thing is truly special.
Or those posting on the internets represent a very small percentage of shooter and hunters ... smile
Back in 1949 when I got my first 22 rifle all that I would shoot was Remington 22 LR HP ammo. In the early 60s the Jr Rifle club which I helped used standard velocity Rem 22 ammo. I do not recall any miss fires back then. When Winchester came out with their 22 LR PP HP ammo I found it to be more accurate in my 22 RF rifles so I have not used any Rem 22 ammo since then. I have purchased Win 22 ammo by the ten box brick. But since getting a 17 HM2 and 17 HMR rifles I don't shoot the 22 RF very much. So I have plenty of 22 RF ammo that I purchased over ten years ago. I have three great grand sons , when they get a bit older they can shoot it up. By then Rem could have some good ammo.
Originally Posted by Redhill
I'm waiting until you lads test out the "NEW" Golden crap and see how it feeds, fires and groups before I'm a buyer again.

Just been disappointed too often in the past to step up and throw down any money on their rimfire ammo.

the stuff i shot last week WAS the new & improved stuff. might want to wait a bit before buying any if at all possible. the only reason i tried some was it was the only stuff on the shelf at the store i was shopping at.
I don't want to be the "odd man out" but I have to report I just fired a little over 1,000 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets. The majority were out of a vintage 39A. Some thru a Remington 552 and 572 and a couple of hundred thru a TC Encore. Out of all the rounds fired, I had 3 FTF. Two of those fired when reloaded and tried again. The third one never did.

Accuracy was acceptable, minute of squirrel head at 35 yds.

I did not have a FTF out of the Encore nor either one of the Remingtons.

Not defending Big R, just reporting what happened.
Sadly, the Rem hp bulk shoot the best out of my Marlin. And I tried a bunch of brands. And they are(were) cheap. 15 shots, under 2 inches at 100. Nothing else comes close in that gun. Not reliable though, and my dud rate is around 1/15. 10/22's seem to have been a lot more forgiving, and I also had a Rem Nylon 66 that shot most brands well. If I had my preference, I'd shoot CCI mini-mags, at mid-80's prices.

In short, keep up the poor reviews, as I need more of the Rem GB, and demand is still way too high. After all, whether the gun goes bang doesn't matter if it won't hit what I aim at when it does bang. Miss = misfire.
© 24hourcampfire