Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Given the current shortages, I would buy some even if not "new and improved" at this point!

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Duckster: I agree with you 100%!
I currently would buy either the new and improved or the old and needs improving stuff!
I think this is at least the fifth month of this "shortage" and I am getting tired and cranky because of it.
I am a big proponent of Remington arms and centerfire ammo but this trouble with the bulk pack Golden Bullets over the last 6 to 10 years has troubled me.
Many years back their Yellow Jackets and Wasps line did well for me then the Golden Bullets did fine but then trailed off in reliability.
I don't know why?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's well known that at least one of Remington's .22 rimfire lines had a lot of trouble getting priming compound into the rim of .22 ammo. Remington has admitted it, in writing, several times, to posters over on rimfirecentral.com.

The problem was, they didn't shut down that line and fix it, they just kept on churning out crap. For years. All the while, they knew it had problems.

Lately, some of the more adventurous folks (or desperate, take your pick) on rimfirecentral have tried the "new and improved" GBs, and the reports are sorta ambivalent. Yes, it's more reliable, but it shoots like crap. Buyer beware, caveat emptor, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Unless and until I use up all the GOOD stuff I have on hand, I'm not desperate enough to buy any.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's hard to forgive when a product line has been flat out crappy for so long!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VarmentGuy i had some of those YellowJackets back around early 90's and they shot well. i think i still have a box of 50 sitting somewhere. anyway if i run out of rimfire ammo and all i could buy was Rem, well having 90% of my rounds go off is better than no rounds at all going off i guess. but i sure hope it don't get to that!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As far as cleaning goes...I was shooting the RP stuff out of a bolt action that had no problems with Federal, WW, CCI, Eley, Lapua, RWS. An occasional misfire with the others but not constant like the RP. And it wasn't just RP Golden either, but target ammo (blue band on box) and Yellow Jackets. Perhaps they've improved now...maybe I'll try some again if 22 ammo ever comes back around here.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the FTF issue, if they've gotten rid of the $#%& goo, then I might give 'em a whirl again someday?

Actually have quite a bit of the old stuff around, but they're all in some sort of commemorative tins or festive Earnhardt Jr boxes. Haven't fired a round of Rem 22 ammo in many years.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot some of the "new" golden bullets today.
Yes they went bang
Yest the bullet exited the barrel.
No they did not group worth a [bleep].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, these days new and improved means available smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I shot some of the "new" golden bullets today.
Yes they went bang
Yest the bullet exited the barrel.
No they did not group worth a [bleep].

Got some of the "new" stuff at Wally World a few months back. Shot thru a 10/22 that pretty much puts decent stuff in an 1" group. New stuff was "spray & pray. Very disappointed! Just have to stay with my "stash" of CCI. Surprisingly enough--thru a Colt 1911 type .22lr,, the Rems showed some promise--go figure??

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes i'll save the GB for the kid to play with. i'm down to my last 500 rnds of mini mags. then it's a a few hundred of blazers or 400 velositor, then i'm screwed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm waiting until you lads test out the "NEW" Golden crap and see how it feeds, fires and groups before I'm a buyer again.

Just been disappointed too often in the past to step up and throw down any money on their rimfire ammo.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll get rid of all my .22s before I'm ever forced to purchase Remington fodder again.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just saw on rimfire central that Remington is recalling Thunderbolt ammo. Google it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Plinker
Just saw on rimfire central that Remington is recalling Thunderbolt ammo. Google it.

They should have recalled the last 10 years of it: Soft lead that peels off in the bore, worthless priming that gives duds at a higher rate than any other .22 I've fired, poor accuracy and terrible velocity variations (mostly from the lack of priming no doubt).
Remington's .22lr ammo hasn't been decent for at least 10 years if not longer. That priming problem is the main culprit. I've had failure rates as high as 10-15% in cold weather. This is shooting it through an Anschutz, a 10/22 and a Buckmark, all of which shoot everything else without flaw. Winchester has periodic quality issues, but CCI and Federal have been darn near flawless during the past decade while Remington has fallen to the absolute bottom of my ammo choices.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want to start by saying that I believe every one of you, but here is what I don't understand. If Remington keeps making crap, why does anyone bother buying it? Some vain hope that they've improved production? Or is it something else?

I try Remington ammunition every couple of years, but it continues to disappoint. I honestly cannot remember when I bought a box that I would take into the field. For hunting, Win or Federal is all I bother with. It's been that way for at least 30 years.

That said, what QC is Remington performing? I cannot believe that everything they make is absolute garbage. Even if their QC was crap, most of it wouldn't be sent out of the plant. So, I guess what I'm asking is this: Is it a 'pile on Remington' thing, much like people poo poo Lee and Savage rifles? Honestly, I'm at a loss to understand.

1. They continue to produce it, so there must be sufficient demand.
2. They cannot be running at a loss, or they would have stopped production.
3. Are there any hunters/shooters left at Remington?

This Internets thing is truly special.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or those posting on the internets represent a very small percentage of shooter and hunters ... smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Back in 1949 when I got my first 22 rifle all that I would shoot was Remington 22 LR HP ammo. In the early 60s the Jr Rifle club which I helped used standard velocity Rem 22 ammo. I do not recall any miss fires back then. When Winchester came out with their 22 LR PP HP ammo I found it to be more accurate in my 22 RF rifles so I have not used any Rem 22 ammo since then. I have purchased Win 22 ammo by the ten box brick. But since getting a 17 HM2 and 17 HMR rifles I don't shoot the 22 RF very much. So I have plenty of 22 RF ammo that I purchased over ten years ago. I have three great grand sons , when they get a bit older they can shoot it up. By then Rem could have some good ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redhill
I'm waiting until you lads test out the "NEW" Golden crap and see how it feeds, fires and groups before I'm a buyer again.

Just been disappointed too often in the past to step up and throw down any money on their rimfire ammo.

the stuff i shot last week WAS the new & improved stuff. might want to wait a bit before buying any if at all possible. the only reason i tried some was it was the only stuff on the shelf at the store i was shopping at.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't want to be the "odd man out" but I have to report I just fired a little over 1,000 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets. The majority were out of a vintage 39A. Some thru a Remington 552 and 572 and a couple of hundred thru a TC Encore. Out of all the rounds fired, I had 3 FTF. Two of those fired when reloaded and tried again. The third one never did.

Accuracy was acceptable, minute of squirrel head at 35 yds.

I did not have a FTF out of the Encore nor either one of the Remingtons.

Not defending Big R, just reporting what happened.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,836
Posts18,517,095
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.