Home
Posted By: pacecars Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
What is a decent price for a used Single Six? I found this one for $275.It has some holster wear and the anodizing removed from the aluminum parts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
Sounds decent to me...does it still have the mag cylinder?
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
it is definitely worth a $250 offer.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
biggest issue w a single six is that you have to cock it more times than a mk 1/2/3/4. otherwise theyre, well, bulletproof
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
I would gladly pay 250-275 for it if I needed another.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
Called them and they have it on hold for me. Now for a holster
Posted By: killerv Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
250 is fair. Not a deal but fair.

I just picked up a lnib early 80s model. Box/Paperwork/extra cylinder/bag...everything... 300otd.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
What type of grips are those? If they are bone throw $ at em. Whatever they are its still a good deal. Good find!

Razorhog
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
Pacecars: I have held off on commenting on the price range for this slightly modified pistol and I am happy so many others have chimed in to help you in my absence.
But I do want to say I have several of these pistols (eight of them to be exact) including one "Buntline" model.
The two that I shoot are great fun and are rather accurate when I "sand-bag" them.
I hope you enjoy your new-ish Single Six as much as I enjoy mine.
I began "collecting" these about 20 years ago and they have appreciated in value - I do not see them diminishing in value any time soon.
Those slight modifications to the finish in certain areas of your pistol won't help much in the long run, value wise, but I think they look kind of cool along with the new grips.
Keep an eye out for a set of used factory grips as I see them now and then offered for sale at gunshows and such.
In fact last month I was out on the west coast and came across a set of mint Single Six grips at "Bear Arms" gun shop in Covington, Washington - I got them for $5.00 cash!
Enjoy your pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/22/18
Buy.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/23/18
I can't decide if I like the two tone look or not but if I were in the market I'd probably buy it if it has both cylinders.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/23/18
Nice grips. Good deal there. I have a half dozen blue ejector rod housings and would be happy to send you one if so desired. PM me a reminder as I won't be back in Texas for a week or so.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/23/18
Thanks, will do
Posted By: roundoak Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/23/18
Nice catch. A Hunter holster #1100450E fits my old style Single-Six 22.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Ruger Single Six - 08/24/18
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice catch. A Hunter holster #1100450E fits my old style Single-Six 22.

[Linked Image]

I have the same holster. I modified mine for cross draw.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sounds decent to me...does it still have the mag cylinder?

It did not have the mag cylinder but after talking to the Borchardt Rifle Corp people an 8 shot .22 mag cylinder will be headed my way. I also just got in my new front sight from Fermin Garza
Posted By: fourbore Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by pacecars
What is a decent price for a used Single Six? I found this one for $275.It has some holster wear and the anodizing removed from the aluminum parts

I am not sure but $275 seems very fair if not $100 below what I would expect for a clean single6. In this case the the finish removal probably makes the price only fair. It is not a convertible which is another consideration

The aluminum is not anodized, it is PAINT! It chips easily and looks like heck on a pistol that sees hard use. Abuse maybe more like it, but it does chip off. I highly recommend stainless for anyone buying new. And in the convertible. I do like the 5.5" barrel. New Ruger revolvers are up there in cost as well. IMHO, The used market is a good place to look.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/20/18
For all of you single 6 shooters out there, how accurate on average do these pistols shoot? I ask because I love the cool factor of them but the only two I shot, well let’s say most critters past ten feet away would laugh if you pulled it out. I also know that there are always examples on both sides of the spectrum with just about any make and model.i just haven’t heard of as many shooting as well as say my old Mark II shot.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/20/18
I pulled out some old targets shot at 25 yards off a rest. For my 22mag cylinder, l found ONLY one old target. I had 5 shots in a 1.5 inch group. Nothing for the 22LR. I never shoot that. My 32H&R single six about 2.5" for 6 shots at 25 yards. And finally the 327 single 7 also 2.5" at 25 yards. That is a little rounded off. I had some 32 ammo run 2.7 and other 2.2. Its not an easy gun to get down below 2". I mean for me to hold and see and shoot well enough. I think these groups would shrink if I had a ransom or a scope. To be realistic, you cannot carry a rest around with you. The 3 guns span a 40 year time period.

well let’s say most critters past ten feet away would laugh if you pulled it out.
I have to suspect pilot error on this.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/20/18
I believe the NRA is a good sources for gun reviews. Relatively unbiased. They had this to say shooting the single-10 at 25 yards.

Starting at the bench, the Single-Ten's accuracy was tested using five-shot groups fired at 25 yards. The gun's excellent sights, comfortable grips and crisp, light trigger pull made the work of generating tight groups a breeze. CCI Mini Mag 36-grain, copper-plated hollow points produced an average group size of 2.17 inches. CCI Stinger 32-grain, copper-plated hollow points produced an average of 2.25 inches, followed by Winchester Super X 40-grain, copper-plated hollow points, with an average of 2.50 inches. Impressive, especially since the last time I produced this level of accuracy with a handgun, I was shooting a tricked-out, semi-auto loaded with some of the finest custom factory ammo available. A tuned-up, semi-auto pistol’s level of accuracy is replicated by an out-of-the-box revolver. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Link to review:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/9/27/ruger-single-ten-revolver-review/

The above review said the gun was easy to shoot and compared well to semi-auto target pistol. Not true for me. I find the Ruger Mk or old hi-standards far and away easier to hold, aim and fire. The grips are for average to small hands. If that matters. I love these little revolvers, but; be realistic about that.

My friend like the fiber optic front on some of the new models. I agree it is better for field use, but I find it a distraction for testing on paper where I am used to the blacks. Now there is a choice.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/22/18
I got the gun in and put one of Fermin Garza's front sights on it ( I love this sight) and have one of Story's 8 round .22 Mag cylinders on the way and have it tucked in an EPS Tom Threepersons holster. The grips are bone of some kind but are kinda fat for my taste and I have large hands. I don't know if I will keep the grips as is, get rid of them or maybe even try to slim them down (not sure about that). I will shoot it and see how it feels then.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/22/18
Very nice.
Posted By: 1100RemingtonMan Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/22/18
I think it is a good deal and nice looking. I still have mine that I paid $140 for NIB years ago yes they go up in value. It has made a excellent small game gun and night raccoon gun. Enjoy
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 09/26/18
Got the .22 mag cylinder and it dropped right in perfectly!
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Ruger Single Six - 10/06/18
I think $275 for a Single Six like that is a fair enough price.

Mine's from the '50's, it rides around in this really sweet Heiser from the '40's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryfromBend Re: Ruger Single Six - 10/06/18
Mine was bought used in the early 90s. It's the 3rd one I've owned. It didn't come with a Magnum cylinder, so I got this one off the internet and fitted it. It had mediocre accuracy with 22 Long Rifles but is very accurate with 40 grain WW magnums (silver box). It's killed many Rattlesnakes with shot shells.

It's effective on Badgers and, of course, Richardson's with the hollow points.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger Single Six - 10/06/18
Very nice Muleshoe. I am sending mine off to have the grips thinned
Posted By: dave284 Re: Ruger Single Six - 10/07/18
Kinda looks like mine after I gave it a redo.

[Linked Image]

It was in need from living a fairly rough life.

[Linked Image]

It's killed snakes, mice and squirrel with no problems. Never have shot it from a bench to actually test accuracy but it is "good enough".
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Ruger Single Six - 10/23/18
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
For all of you single 6 shooters out there, how accurate on average do these pistols shoot?

On average, IMHO, not well enough. I've had between 12 and 15 of the rimfires and 5-6 of the .32s. The first rimfire was really quite good with both cylinders. The first .32 was fair (4-5/8" barrel) but I shook it to death with some of Skeeter Skelton's recipes. The second, a 9-1/2" barreled gun a gunsmith friend modified a Leupold blackhawk base for, was spectacular. There was a 9-1/2" .22 that shot well with one brand of .22 mag ammo. Otherwise, until this most recent gun (the 2nd Hunter model I've owned), they were consistently unimpressive.

I like the design and feel of them well enough to keep trying, though, so IMHO it's worth the work. Besides, shooting guns to test loads and stuff is fun and rewarding in its own right whether it turns out to be a success or a failure in the end.

Also, in fairness, not everyone expects, or can obtain, the level of accuracy I want from a handgun, so you might be very happy with a gun I "discarded" (sold) because it didn't meet my requirements.

The current Single Six hunter will generally put 6 rounds of CCI mini mag hollowpoints under an inch at 25 yards with iron sights if the sun is square behind me so I can see that bead. I've just replaced the bead and notch sights with a traditional patridge -type sight but haven't shot it since so I'm not sure if that helps or just makes me feel better. It's pretty hard on the local ground squirrels, though. I already proved that.

Tom
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Ruger Single Six - 11/01/18
now i'm gonna start looking for one, it's been awhile since I've had one
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ruger Single Six - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by dave284
Kinda looks like mine after I gave it a redo.

[Linked Image]

It was in need from living a fairly rough life.

[Linked Image]

It's killed snakes, mice and squirrel with no problems. Never have shot it from a bench to actually test accuracy but it is "good enough".

Dave, that thing was just "broke in" when you started messin' with it ! smile
Posted By: dave284 Re: Ruger Single Six - 11/14/18
That all right, now it's just "broker in". smile
© 24hourcampfire