Home
Posted By: kragman1 Opinions on Anschutz sporters - 05/18/19
So, I'm not really expecting to find a choice CZ 452 and I'm starting to think that I should go back to finding a good Anschutz.
I like the look of the 164's. Even though I've never held one they look like they have the right proportions to me. Full sized but not oversized kinda thing.

I'm no Anschutz guy, and I hear that the 54's will pretty much always outshot the 64's.
I want a lifetime quality sporter with CZ 452/455 level accuracy out of anything I buy, so I would appreciate hearing from all of you - your experiences and opinions.
Models, things to look (or look out) for, etc

Thanks!
You won't regret a 54. And it will run circles around the CZ.

Different leagues....
Originally Posted by kragman1
So, I'm not really expecting to find a choice CZ 452 and I'm starting to think that I should go back to finding a good Anschutz.
I like the look of the 164's. Even though I've never held one they look like they have the right proportions to me. Full sized but not oversized kinda thing.

I'm no Anschutz guy, and I hear that the 54's will pretty much always outshot the 64's.
I want a lifetime quality sporter with CZ 452/455 level accuracy out of anything I buy, so I would appreciate hearing from all of you - your experiences and opinions.
Models, things to look (or look out) for, etc

Thanks!

I have a couple of Anschutz rimfire sporters and would pick the Miroku Winchester 52 Sporters if forced to choose between them.
I have owned a half dozen 54 sporters (1700 series) and at least that many 64 sporters, some of the 64's out shot the 54's and some of the 54's outshot the 64's. It is doubtful that you would ever wear out either in a lifetime, the 54's definitely have better triggers.

If you decide to buy a 64 sporter be sure and do your homework on them, Some of the 64's have a low-end finish and very simple triggers while other variations have a good finish and a fully adjustable trigger on them. I have never had an Anschutz sporter that the stock fit right for me - I have no idea what it is about their stocks but for whatever reason they don't work well for me.

drover
If accuracy is what you're after and you want an accurate sporter you should be looking at the 1710 or 1712 54 action sporters or the earlier 1413 54 sporters. I know where there are two used 1712 Sporters in Meistergrade with 6.5 - 20 Leupold scopes on them in the $2500 range at a LGS. IMO, the CZ isn't even in the same league as these unless you stick an obscene amount of money into them....

Bob
This is my sons 1416 AV 18" I've owned a 1712 and now currently have a full custom vudoo I can say this rifle will shoot as good as any. He is currently the NC state champion in FFA, 4-H & JR high rodeo light rifle he will be competing in the nationals this time next month no CZ will be in his hand!!! [Linked Image][/img]
Congrats to your son,DUCKBRX!

DUCKBRX,

Nice to see a young shooter. It appears he can shoot damn well.

Annie/ Miroku / CZ:

I like the Annie sporters ... I have several 54's in most if not all rimfires. A .222 Model 153 and some 54 hornets. As for the Miroku Repos ....the trigger , even after the "Lawyer pin" has been removed can not be tuned well.

The Mirokus are fun I have 1 left. But to call them "Sporters" is generous ....they are a club. You are not gonna carry it very far on a squirrel hunt.

As for CZ....I love the style of the 452 American. The safety and trigger leave room for improvement. But for < $ 500.00... one can be shooting. As the old adage " you get what you pay for".
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Exactly!

I'd be looking in the $500 range so looking for a used 64 action. I doubt ill ever shoot it as well as he does though. đź‘Ť
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Always nice to see young shooters doing well. Hasbeen
DUCKBRX, congratulations to your son. That buckle is nearly as big as he is. Good luck next month at nationals.

Originally Posted by DUCKBRX
This is my sons 1416 AV 18" I've owned a 1712 and now currently have a full custom vudoo I can say this rifle will shoot as good as any. He is currently the NC state champion in FFA, 4-H & JR high rodeo light rifle he will be competing in the nationals this time next month no CZ will be in his hand!!! [Linked Image][/img]

Just awesome!
i love to see young men shoot well. not enough are taught to do so by their pops imho. i have tried my best to teach my (2) age 14 and 8 sons to shoot well,tie strong fishing knots and change the oil in whatever i happen to have on the ramps at the time which they will later inherit for a period of time to show me they are responsible drivers.
good on you for carrying on this most important exercise,
Big Ed
I have a 64 and two 54s.
All are very accurate guns.
If you measure closely the 54s might be a bit more accurate, but not much.
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX

Looks like a serious young man. Good job, Dad.

Wouldn't expect to see a CZ in serious competition. They are, however, very nice sporters at a great price point in a market largely abandoned by American companies. For a bit more, they can be spruced up significantly, and the new one looks like it makes even that unnecessary.

A range buddy recently picked up a an Anschutz sporter from Bud's with really killer wood, a lottery winner for certain, and totally by chance. I forget the model, but it cost him about a grand. I'm pretty green, even without seeing how it shoots as yet.
Thanks everyone.
It looks like a 64 based sporter is on my short list.
Ill have to see what competes with them at the same price point.
64's can't hang.

Hint.................
Originally Posted by cisco1

DUCKBRX,

Nice to see a young shooter. It appears he can shoot damn well.

Annie/ Miroku / CZ:

I like the Annie sporters ... I have several 54's in most if not all rimfires. A .222 Model 153 and some 54 hornets. As for the Miroku Repos ....the trigger , even after the "Lawyer pin" has been removed can not be tuned well.

The Mirokus are fun I have 1 left. But to call them "Sporters" is generous ....they are a club. You are not gonna carry it very far on a squirrel hunt.

As for CZ....I love the style of the 452 American. The safety and trigger leave room for improvement. But for < $ 500.00... one can be shooting. As the old adage " you get what you pay for".

My primary tree squirrel hunting rifles are an Anschutz 1502, a Marlin 917M2S, and a Remington 504, all chambered in 17HM2. Neither the Anschutz, nor the Marlin, are sporters and I regularly carry them on squirrel hunting without undue hardship, so the Miroku 52 Sporters wouldn't pose a challenge, even for an old guy like me.
My Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter will probably be the very last rifle that I would sell. I plan on handing it down anyway.

The Mirokus are nice. If you love 'em enough you can cart 'em . But , you cannot get the trigger below 32-36 ounces, even after you knock the "lawyer pin" out.

I like 'em and played around with both flavors quite a while.

The 54 Savage / Anschutz can be found for under a grand , often with a scope. They look and feel and carry like a sporter.

Hard to beat and if I see one before you .....I will own another.

Best,

Chuck
Originally Posted by kragman1
Thanks everyone.
It looks like a 64 based sporter is on my short list.
Ill have to see what competes with them at the same price point.

My CZ 453 competes with my 64 action Annie close enough that it is well within he margin of field shooting position error.
I need to shoot my 455 Lux more before I jump.
From what shooting I have done with it, it has been very accurate. Maybe Anschutz accurate.
I have a 1710 (200th anniversary classic) that shoots incredibly well. I then picked up a 452 sporter that didn’t shoot so well. I had a Mullerworks barrel profiled to duplicate the original contour and then I fit and installed on the CZ... it now shoots every bit as good as the Anschutz. 1/4-3/8ths at 50 yards with several different brands. Use them both for squirrels and either does the trick. Some of the CZ barrels borescope very good, even excellent, the one I replaced looked like a washboard with residual reamer marks.
CZ ain't even in the same fhuqking Universe.

Hint...………………..
I found one of the old Anschutz 54 sporter rifle imported by savage in near new condition, it is in my opinion the perfect sporter .22
A guy could do MUCH worse.

While I have more than a "few" 54's...Vudoo has simply rewritten THE Book.

Hint...…………………...
On my budget, CZ has been super.
I know that they aren't close to Anschutz in finish, and I'm sure an everyday 64 or 54 sporter will outshoot an everyday CZ, but my 455 sporter will go down swinging hard.
Its an over achiever.

That said, I will own a fine Anschutz sporter before I die. Bucket list and all that.
I'd MUCH rather RAR,than suffer a CZ...due the rotary mag alone. The triggers are superior too.

Hint.................
Posted By: ned Re: Opinions on Anschutz sporters - 06/07/19
my range buddy shoots an Anschutz. yes he can shoot .2 at 50 consistently but at 1/4 of the price my 452 shoots nearly as well. yes i'll probably buy Anschutz someday but for now i'm happy.
Brokedick Turd Polishers can "justify" any/everything. Congratulations?!?

Laughing!

Hint...............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd MUCH rather RAR,than suffer a CZ...due the rotary mag alone. The triggers are superior too.

Hint.................

Have you had a opportunity to spend time with CZ’s latest model 457? If so, what do you think of them? Same magazine set up as 452/455 (I like the Ruger better too) but it sounds like they addressed and possibly improved other issues.

I like the CZ 452/453 and 455’s. My biggest complaint with them is the bolt interference with scope ocular when mounted to my preference.
No 457 trigger time here.

CZ's as a whole are rough shod schit,with nothing inherently redeeming mechanically. A [bleep] mag and bolt,don't leave anything left to swoon.

Hint....................(grin)
I look at mine for what it is, not what it isn't.
I'd love it if the trigger were different (but I own much worse), and if the bolt handle were different (got around it).
But it carries well, shoots outrageously good, feels good and looks good. Its on my list of never sell guns.
Today's Mail.

NASTIEST Vudoo on The Planet.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
There is no denying the superior performance of a Voodoo. Just can’t deny it. However if I was wanting a sporter that shoots well and looked as well, the Anschutz would be in my sites. That being said I don’t know if Voodoo offers a good looking sporter. Post some pics once you get it dialed in.
My Little Vudoo.

18" Bart' Spectre contour,2 Ounce S/S Shilen,MacaMillion Classic,30 MOA 1913(best option available at time of order),40 MOA 'Horn's,6x MQ...yada,yada,yada.

[Linked Image]

I have BEAT the fhuqk outta it and shot THE fhuqk outta it too(10,000rds+ thus far) and cain't make it bobble. It could give a fhuqk about weather conditions.

Hint.................
Have a 64 that gets a lot ot Beldings Ground Squirrel duty. Very accurate and the finest trigger (about 1/4 ounce) of any arms in the safe. Like all rifles though, they are ammo specific.
I have a 54.................(grin)

[Linked Image]
msalm: Should have fire lapped that barrel using Beartooth Bullets Marshall Stanton's instructions. It halved the group size of a new 10/22 take down that looked like it was rifled by Pygmies using machetes.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Opinions on Anschutz sporters - 06/08/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a 64 that gets a lot ot Beldings Ground Squirrel duty. Very accurate and the finest trigger (about 1/4 ounce) of any arms in the safe. Like all rifles though, they are ammo specific.

1/4 OUNCE??

REALLY?

1/4 POUND (4 ounces) maybee
You CLUELESS Fhuqking Droolers are a HOOT! Congratulations?!?

Hint.................
Damn that 54:18 msr is sweet.
Pass the Vudoo and hold the Fluff.

Hint.................
1/4 POUND (4 ounces) maybee

Scale units are in grams and it measure right at 8 grams. A two-stage unit with about 1/8 inch of travel. When it stops, one simply has to think and it fires. It is sweet, but it takes a lot of rounds to master.
LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have a 54.................(grin)

[Linked Image]

Big Stick, I'm curious about the tuner on that one rifle. What was the reasoning behind that?

I knew a guy several years back (closer to 15 years), also with an Anschutz (model?), with machinery experience and he made his own tuner. I moved to another state, and didn't stay in touch, so didn't really get to quiz him about it. He was a top shooter and that rifle was a tack driver - I don't understand what he was trying to achieve - maybe there was better ammo that his rifle didn't otherwise like?
All a tuner does,is make the whip crack in the same place more often...as oscillations go. Mainly because,it ain't handy to Reload Rimfire Fodder and tune ammo,the way one can a centerfire.(grin)

That is a Harrell,which is a mainstay of the ilk.

Hint.....................

Originally Posted by bobmn
msalm: Should have fire lapped that barrel using Beartooth Bullets Marshall Stanton's instructions. It halved the group size of a new 10/22 take down that looked like it was rifled by Pygmies using machetes.

I did try to save it by removing it and casting actual laps and lapping the bore...wasn’t worth it, so Dan Muller made me a barrel for it. One of the ugliest barrels I’ve scoped. I have a little 452 scout that has a great looking bore but haven’t shot that yet. I’ll let my son learn with it when he’s old enough.
© 24hourcampfire