Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV UTV winch - 10/19/18
My neighbor showed me the winch he mounted on the bottom side of the roll bar in the center of his cab. It looked like a winch Harbor Freight sells. He uses it to pull deer up into the bed. He tilts the bed and drags the deer up in it. He also has a 4500# Super winch on the front.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: UTV winch - 10/19/18
Guessing we have 20+ of the 2500 lb winches from Harbor Freight at camp. 6 on the outdoor meat pole, 6 in the cooler and at least 9+ on 4 wheelers, Gators, Rangers, pickups, etc.. Some at least 10 years old and some bought this year. Have had minor problems with corrosion, batteries, etc... but considering the life they live (some outdoors all the time) they have done amazingly well. Never had a problem that could not be fixed and the oldest is still going strong. Have them mounted in the back of 4 pickups and we have a 6 foot wooden slide. Deer slide right up into the back. Same deal with Gators, etc.. Take them back to camp and pull them off the truck/UTV with the meatpole winches and when they are weighed, jaw bones pulled, rinsed out etc., they are then winched up in the cooler. Have you figured out we are a bunch of old guys yet? But they do work and if you watch, can be bought for $50 each.
Posted By: jdollar Re: UTV winch - 10/19/18
Damn, y’all must have some huge whitetail if you need a winch to get it into the tilted bed of a UTV! I’m 70 yo and have never killed a whitetail I couldn’t load in a side by side.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: UTV winch - 10/20/18
Jdollar, Assume you have had 3 back surgeries, 4 shoulder and 2 knee, like I have. If so, you have the right to belittle the way I load deer. Unless you have and until you do, you have no idea of what it takes for someone like me, so politely suggest you GFY!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: UTV winch - 10/23/18
Originally Posted by jdollar
Damn, y’all must have some huge whitetail if you need a winch to get it into the tilted bed of a UTV! I’m 70 yo and have never killed a whitetail I couldn’t load in a side by side.

Sounds like you are the exception to the rule of men growing old: losing muscle mass, stamina, testosterone decreasing, etc.
Posted By: BobMt Re: UTV winch - 10/25/18

they are talking about whole deer ….not cut up ……...bob
Posted By: tzone Re: UTV winch - 10/25/18
If I had a bigger machine than I do, I think the Warne Provantage 3500 or 4500 would get a hard look.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: UTV winch - 10/26/18

I'm 71 and have fused neck vertebra, arthritic shoulders and bad knees....I have learned to work smarter not harder. I use every advantage I can nowadays. I have a Rhino with a Superwinch 4500 on the front and a 2500 that I fit onto a welded bracket in the back of the roll cage and I can move it to another bracket on the front of my small trailer for loading elk.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: UTV winch - 10/26/18
The Superwinch 4500 with synthetic rope is the way to go for UTV's, I originally ran the Warn 3500 but it died on me about year or so after I bought the Rhino. Also, if you're going to run the synthetic rope I highly recommend using a hawse fairlead as well, it will save your rope from getting chaffed.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: UTV winch - 11/05/18
I just bought a Polaris ranger 1000, I’m trying to figure out how to mount a small winch for deer also,
Posted By: coyote268 Re: UTV winch - 11/06/18
Well, I'm 81 with a bad back and a screwed up shoulder and I'm not afraid that I use a Warn 3500 to pull a Deer or Pig up hill to my Pioneer. I also use a block and tackle to get them into the bed of it. I'm not to proud to admit the block and tackle really help and the winch really saves me from a uphill tug.
Posted By: bkraft Re: UTV winch - 11/06/18
Guy I shoot with has a winch mounted to the front bed wall of his pickup. Tommy John Surgery and a bad rotator cuff, I can understand why. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Posted By: jdollar Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Jdollar, Assume you have had 3 back surgeries, 4 shoulder and 2 knee, like I have. If so, you have the right to belittle the way I load deer. Unless you have and until you do, you have no idea of what it takes for someone like me, so politely suggest you GFY!

I wasn’t belittling anything. A gutted out whitetailaround here might weigh 125 lbs at most, probably less. A rope around his antlers and run around the roll cage gets his head and shoulders in the bed. The rest isn’t a chore after that. So, also politely, GFY TOO...
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
When you top 70, 125lb can be more than you can handle, especially if you have a bad shoulder, back, or something. If a winch makes it easier without danger of further hurting yourself, do it.
A $25 solution to get a deer in a UTV. They work fine when attached to the roll cage and then work to haul up the deer on a pole, tree , or tripod at home too if you don’t field dress/ gut it. Of course you can also spend a lot more for the electric version.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Spec...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1541816208&sr=8-1
There are lots of different block and tackle hoists that will work. I have one of these old timer fence stretchers. I replaced the 1/2" rope years ago. This one is made to lock onto a wire. To use it for other purposes, I have a couple short chains for the hooks on both blocks. The big advantage with this one is that you can lock the rope. In the photo, you can see a tube on the top block. The running end comes out through it. To lock it, pull the rope away from the block to lift the tube and it locks the rope. To release it, pull the rope straight down which pulls the tube back to the release position.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Windfall Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
I wondered when someone was going to bring up multi roller pulleys? I am surprised that more people don't realize how easy it is to hoist a deer up using more than a single roller pulley. I carry a 2 and 3 roller small sailing pulley set in my pack and my deer go up into a tree away from the varmints so that I can cut them into pieces to pack them out. I never took physics in school and I don't know where all the weight goes, but it sure doesn't go into the rope that I'm pulling on.
You're trading effort for distance. This is an oversimplification, but the more rollers you have, the more rope it takes to move them. A single pulley, like a snatch block for a winch, will use twice the rope of a straight pull but cut the load in half. A double pulley B&T, like the pic I posted, will require a lot more rope to move the block the same distance but with a corresponding reduction is effort. Each time you add a set of rollers, you add to the length of rope you pull through but reduce the effort even more.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
[Linked Image]

Here my setup. Simple and cheap. Aluminum angle running lengthwise across back of bed. Boat winch.
Posted By: Windfall Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
Rock Chuck, I always carry at least 50' of rope in my pack and that pulley set had a 12 point nicely up in a pine tree with only me pulling on it. Last year we had a pilot, an engineer, an emt and a plant manager at deer camp cutting meat and it was like an epiphany to every one of them when I showed them how easy it was to hoist up our four deer using multi roller pulleys.
If you can lift 50 lb by hand, a 4 roller B&T will let you lift 200.
The $25 item I linked from Amazon is rated for 600 lbs and has a 4:1 advantage, so a 200lb deer would require only 50 lbs of pull. Simple set up and useful for hanging deer for gutting and quartering after you get to camp or home. And the rope locks in place with a simple release lever
Posted By: kellory Re: UTV winch - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You're trading effort for distance. This is an oversimplification, but the more rollers you have, the more rope it takes to move them. A single pulley, like a snatch block for a winch, will use twice the rope of a straight pull but cut the load in half. A double pulley B&T, like the pic I posted, will require a lot more rope to move the block the same distance but with a corresponding reduction is effort. Each time you add a set of rollers, you add to the length of rope you pull through but reduce the effort even more.

Very good explanation. I use block and tackle on hanging deer for butchering, and a hand crank boat Winch through a ground anchored snatch block for skinning.
The $25 item I linked from Amazon is rated for 600 lbs and has a 4:1 advantage, so a 200lb deer would require only 50 lbs of pull. Simple set up and useful for hanging deer for gutting and quartering after you get to camp or home. And the rope locks in place with a simple release lever

Now up to about $45.00.
Originally Posted by kellory

Now up to about $45.00.
that's for 1500lb version. The 600lb version is about $23.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kellory

Now up to about $45.00.
that's for 1500lb version. The 600lb version is about $23.

I stand corrected. I went to the linked item.

Posted By: Windfall Re: UTV winch - 11/11/18
That boat winch reminds me of the 210 pounder that I winched up a 200 yard long steep hill with a rope filled boat winch tied to the trees. My arms were shot by the time I got that critter to the top of the hill. I bought one of those little Simpson two stroke capstan rope winches after that and that served me well because we can't use an ATV or couldn't cut them up back in those days. I still use that boat winch bolted to the studs for hanging them when I get them back to the garage and that works well for a short pull.
Posted By: kellory Re: UTV winch - 11/11/18
Originally Posted by Windfall
That boat winch reminds me of the 210 pounder that I winched up a 200 yard long steep hill with a rope filled boat winch tied to the trees. My arms were shot by the time I got that critter to the top of the hill. I bought one of those little Simpson two stroke capstan rope winches after that and that served me well because we can't use an ATV or couldn't cut them up back in those days. I still use that boat winch bolted to the studs for hanging them when I get them back to the garage and that works well for a short pull.

I have a game scale for hanging game. It's maxed out at #300. We had one 8 pointer a couple years ago that read #280, and his head was still on the floor. (Not yet gutted). Block and tackle is a smart choice.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: UTV winch - 11/11/18
i'd like to watch anyone here put a 210lb deer up in the back of my dumpbed on my Polaris by yourself. I took a extention rack for a atv and cut it off and mounted it down low in my hitch receiver then cut a folding tailgate in it. its about 10" off the ground and the best way I've ever seen to load a deer. my Polaris is a x2 so its 8ft long and weighs 1000lb .I can't even tell it with 200plus pounds hanging off the back.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'd like to watch anyone here put a 210lb deer up in the back of my dumpbed on my Polaris by yourself. I took a extention rack for a atv and cut it off and mounted it down low in my hitch receiver then cut a folding tailgate in it. its about 10" off the ground and the best way I've ever seen to load a deer. my Polaris is a x2 so its 8ft long and weighs 1000lb .I can't even tell it with 200plus pounds hanging off the back.

I could do it without too much trouble, but I'm not as old as some of the guys on here. I have to lift heavy stuff every day. But why work that hard if you don't have to?
Posted By: Windfall Re: UTV winch - 11/11/18
It wouldn't need to be a big one either. I was trying to load about a 160# (gutted) 8 point onto dad's '69 Plymouth and the front end went up and then down when I lifted up the back end. Might have been pretty funny to watch, but I wasn't amused. A rope through the back windows to secure one end finally got it done.

Kellory, I thought that you Ohio guys gutted your deer before pulling them out of the woods. Innards weigh 21 to 23% of the deer's live weight and I'll be darned if I want to haul out 40# of guts when I'm only going to throw them away. The coyotes and crows need to eat too. The southern guys don't gut stuff right away which always seemed odd with the higher temperatures they get down there. I worked in a packing house for three summers and those cow insides came out real soon once the hide was off to help cool them faster. Then they got cut in half, washed, shrouded and into the cooler to hang for a week all in a few minutes.
Originally Posted by Windfall
It wouldn't need to be a big one either. I was trying to load about a 160# (gutted) 8 point onto dad's '69 Plymouth and the front end went up and then down when I lifted up the back end. Might have been pretty funny to watch, but I wasn't amused. A rope through the back windows to secure one end finally got it done.

Kellory, I thought that you Ohio guys gutted your deer before pulling them out of the woods. Innards weigh 21 to 23% of the deer's live weight and I'll be darned if I want to haul out 40# of guts when I'm only going to throw them away. The coyotes and crows need to eat too. The southern guys don't gut stuff right away which always seemed odd with the higher temperatures they get down there. I worked in a packing house for three summers and those cow insides came out real soon once the hide was off to help cool them faster. Then they got cut in half, washed, shrouded and into the cooler to hang for a week all in a few minutes.

We do not gut in the field. It's not far back to the barn, and we keep the meat cleaner and the mess to a minimum, doing it in the barn. We have a wheel barrow under while gutting, then skin it out and wash it down. Then let it cool before cutting up.
© 24hourcampfire