Home
Posted By: JBabcock Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
1954 action, 1955 barrel that grades out as excellent, 1957 stock, refinished. Very happy with the work they did.

[Linked Image]

If you need anything pertaining to a pre-64 Model 70, these guys are the ones you need to talk to...

https://pre64win.com/
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
Chambered in 30-06. I bought a 1954 standard, swapped out the barrel, stock and bottom metal.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
Very nice rifle. smile

What scope are you going to use on it?
Posted By: handwerk Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
A classy do all rifle...enjoy!
Leupold VX-II 2x7. I want to stick with something that’s kind of vintage. It’s a gloss finished scope I’ve had for a long time. I think it will look good on this rifle.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
Great choice. smile
Posted By: Judman Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
Dandy
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
What is the weight of the rifle with scope?
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Haven’t mounted the scope, and I haven’t weighed the rifle yet. I will though.
Posted By: boliep Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Leupold VX-II 2x7. I want to stick with something that’s kind of vintage. It’s a gloss finished scope I’ve had for a long time. I think it will look good on this rifle.

If you really want to go vintage and correct for that rifle, I have a Weaver K4 with a thin crosshair and dot reticle.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/12/20
I have a 1963 vintage M70 .300 W. Mag, also a .30-06 a bit older.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/12/20
Originally Posted by boliep

If you really want to go vintage and correct for that rifle, I have a Weaver K4 with a thin crosshair and dot reticle.

It would look great, but I want the better optics of the Leupold. At my age, I need them.
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/12/20
I have a circa 52' FW. Always wondered if the barrel contour change just ahead of the receiver was a shared style with early Colt and S&W revolvers made prior to sight ribs? Mine's a 308win. Built on the same length action with a steel mag filler. Great rifles, yours is a beauty!

Haven’t mounted the scope yet, but rifle weighs 6.5lbs naked. With the mounts and scope, it’s going to come in right at 7lbs 8oz. That’s weighing it on my Postal Scale.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/12/20
That is sweet. I’ve got a featherweight 308 that is shot to hell and the stock is trashed. I may have to give these folks a buzz.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
That is sweet. I’ve got a featherweight 308 that is shot to hell and the stock is trashed. I may have to give these folks a buzz.

Great folks to deal with. I’m fortunate that I live in the same state. I was in their shop yesterday and they must have had 150 different barrels. And they were just starting on a Featherweight stock that was going to be brought back to its former glory.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/13/20
That’s about as sexy as it gets. Very cool!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/13/20
Turned out beautiful! Can't wait to hear how it shoots!
Posted By: okie john Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/14/20
If you need anything pertaining to a pre-64 Model 70, these guys are the ones you need to talk to...

I should not have clicked that link.

Okie John
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/14/20
Lol! Great guys. Check out their High Country rifle. I’m already scheming!
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

And their just across 520!
Posted By: Odessa Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/15/20
Your rifle looks very nice, good job on putting it together.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/16/20
Originally Posted by Odessa
Your rifle looks very nice, good job on putting it together.

Thanks. I didn’t really want to destroy the value of it, but figured those guys would use the parts to put a nice one together. And I used all original parts, though the years are off a bit. It’s a really nice gun and something I’ve always wanted. Very happy with the way it turned out. Plan on using it just for high country deer hunts.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/16/20

Haven’t mounted the scope yet, but rifle weighs 6.5lbs naked. With the mounts and scope, it’s going to come in right at 7lbs 8oz. That’s weighing it on my Postal Scale.

Came in at exactly 7.5 lbs with the scope mounted up.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/16/20
I have it’s twin and find the 7.5lbs empty to be just right in a 30-06.

Nice rifle, glad to hear you are going to hunt it!
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by TomM1

I built it specifically to go after high country Mule Deer. I’m in the twilight years of my hunting career. You might say I’m a classic! And I want to finish my career using a classic rifle.
Posted By: Grumman Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20
I don’t blame you and have been thinking about adding a featherweight to the stable. To me those rifles have soul in a way synthetic stocks and stainless just don’t have.
I have 2 SS Classics, and there great rifles. But it’s hard to beat blued steel and wood.
Posted By: okie john Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20

Okie John

I did NOT need to know that.

Okie John
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20

Thats an awfully fat featherweight. Mine have all been closer to 6.5 pounds. Hell, even my 338 only weighs 7. The beauty of having the featherweight over the standard, is the lighter weight and 2" shorter barrel. Makes for a handier, easier to pack all day long rifle.

Okie John

I did NOT need to know that.

Okie John

Well, you’ll have to take a left onto 405, And then head North to Woodenville. But it’s a short drive for you!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thats an awfully fat featherweight. Mine have all been closer to 6.5 pounds. Hell, even my 338 only weighs 7. The beauty of having the featherweight over the standard, is the lighter weight and 2" shorter barrel. Makes for a handier, easier to pack all day long rifle.

I think they meant scoped and ready to hunt, empty of ammunition. If you had a 6.5lb loaded Featherweight in any cartridge I'd bet you'd have a line of folks ready to buy whistle

I think my 30-06 Featherweight goes 8lbs on the nose with a SS 3x9 on top with a McM Hunters EDGE.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Pre-64 Featherweight - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think they meant scoped and ready to hunt, empty of ammunition. If you had a 6.5lb loaded Featherweight in any cartridge I'd bet you'd have a line of folks ready to buy whistle

I think my 30-06 Featherweight goes 8lbs on the nose with a SS 3x9 on top with a McM Hunters EDGE.

That makes sense.
© 24hourcampfire