Home
Just re-read Jack O'Connor's article last night. Maybe some of you 7x57 fans have not had the opportunity. It appeared in a 1974 Gun Digest annual edition.

"Yet I think I have seen more game killed with fewer shots from this modest little cartridge than with any other".

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/forty-years-little-7mm
I re-read that one about once a year. Good stuff.
Bought/shot my first 7-08 in 1985.

The 7mm Mouser,is a POOR comparison.

Hint........................
Thank you sir, that was a very nice read...
I have read that article, but seldom read any of his stuff any more...
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Bought/shot my first 7-08 in 1985.

The 7mm Mouser,is a POOR comparison.

Hint........................

Only you dummy....
Btw, John meadows said your a cull now, like you were back then... hint
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have read that article, but seldom read any of his stuff any more...

Are you looking for some kind of accolade for moving past his writing?
A good read. Thank you for posting it.
I grew up reading his articles. Loved them then, and still do.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to read that again. It's been a long time. In fact it has been forever that I picked up an Old Gun Digest and leafed through an edition.
Thanks for the read. My favorite line: she wanted a big rifle for the safari so chose a 30-06.
Jack O'Conner and Bob Hagel are two great writers of the past whose books I never tire of reading and re-reading. They're still relevant today.
I'm kinda over cartridge worship. All I've tried have worked just fine, though some have been easier to work with than others. In the end, the bullet does the work, and the rifle lets you direct it to where it does that work. So when I run into a rifle that appeals to me, the cartridge it uses is not all that important, as long as it can be obtained or made without too much trouble.

Obviously, for some uses, like LR targets and bench rest, cartridge choice matters a lot, but I hunt, and shoot for fun, and like to futz around with rifles. Those things are accomplished with just about anything.

Then again, some rifles are made possible, or practical, by cartridge design, so sometimes we end up right back where we started.🤔
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Then again, some rifles are made possible, or practical, by cartridge design, so sometimes we end up right back where we started.🤔

That's pretty much the 7x57 vs 7-08. But in 'Stick's defense, in my extremely limited experience I find it takes a little longer to find consistent MOA loads in the 7x57, especially in one rifle and across a diversity of bullet weights. I don't know why that's the case (throat variations?) but it seems to be. But the 7x57 wasn't developed as, nor is generally used as, a target rifle either, so I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference in the field...although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM
Originally Posted by RevMike
although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM

HERETIC!!

BLASPHEMER!
I knew that was coming; I've already put on my helmet. I said 'temped,' I didn't say I'd done it. smile
I’ve never fired a 7x57, but my sons 7mm-08 is very accurate with whatever we load for it
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never fired a 7x57, but my sons 7mm-08 is very accurate with whatever we load for it

cry cry cry
Some of the velocities quoted are not what you see today.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That's pretty much the 7x57 vs 7-08. But in 'Stick's defense, in my extremely limited experience I find it takes a little longer to find consistent MOA loads in the 7x57, especially in one rifle and across a diversity of bullet weights. I don't know why that's the case (throat variations?) but it seems to be. But the 7x57 wasn't developed as, nor is generally used as, a target rifle either, so I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference in the field...although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM

I file that quest, and it's more radical children, half-MOA and the others, under "shoot for fun". It has almost no practical application for me, except for the odd poke I take at a woodchuck. When a deer pops out of the bushes at 20 or 30 yards, it ain't even a consideration. Since I picked up the crossbow a couple years ago, I'm taking the same shots I take with my rifles, with the same results, minus the bloodshot meat, and cold toes.

I still get giddy over the little clusters, but don't sweat that stuff when it comes to hunting loads, or what I practice with. I want hits with good bullets.
Yep. I"m trying to get one of my 7x57s to shoot anything other than 175-grain bullets into less than 1.5 MOA, but you're right: inside of 100 yards who cares. BTW, I don't think JOC ever mentioned how his 7x57s shot; just how effective they were on game.
I own a 7x57 and it is a sweet shooting SOB
I don't get too worked up on group size in my hunting rifles as long as a rifle can put 3 shots into 1.5", but then again I don't take shots at game over about 400 yards. I haven't even shot it yet but with my 7x57 I would think it's probably less than that. It's not a long range hunter. But out to 350-400 yards I would think it will be pretty lethal on game with a 140 grain bullet.
I have had very good luck with my “little 7”. It’s a Ruger #1 that I purchased in the late 70’s. It is short, reasonably light, and more then accurate for the job.
My longest shoot, 330 paces on a pronghorn. It shoots 140 and 150 gr Nosler BT’s into about an inch. IMR 4350 used to be my powder of choice, lately trying Ramshot Hunter and I think I like it better.
It could be my only hunting rifle and that would be fine. Of course I do have a few more... grin
People make a big deal about bullet selection. Most of my rifles are dedicated hunting rifles and in my case they are pretty specialized. All of them are called upon for deer hunting but some I have for larger game. I've had my .270 for 54 years and I've only shot a few different bullet weights in it. Of these most are Spitzer Boat Tails. I can say with my .270 I've only ever needed a couple different weights. The 130 and 150 are about all I'll ever need. Of those, only about three different brands. For deer and hogs it's usually either a 130 grain SGK or Nosler or Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip. With this 7x57 I visuallize about the same. If I should get the opportunity to go for elk or maybe another Nilgai hunt I would probably load me up some 150 grain Partitions. For some people that's a pretty limited bullet selection, but for me it meets all the needs of that rifle. I may yet play around with some other bullets but for now those listed are what you'll find me hunting with.
Yep. I"m trying to get one of my 7x57s to shoot anything other than 175-grain bullets into less than 1.5 MOA, but you're right: inside of 100 yards who cares. BTW, I don't think JOC ever mentioned how his 7x57s shot; just how effective they were on game.

Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.
NOTHING is fhuqking funnier than a Texan trying to "talk" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I rather enjoy your Dumbfhuqk Chronicles,as you "think" it is a requisite to perpetually denote that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you are also an AMAZINGLY sllloooowwwwwww "learner". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Simply put,boolits matter more than everything else and a Clueless Fhuqk who "does" as "much" as you,will never begin to have even a First Fhuqking Clue in regards to what do what. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................
Originally Posted by ingwe
although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM

HERETIC!!

BLASPHEMER!

+1

If not for Eleanor, Jack would have starved to death.

g
I'm looking forward to shooting and hunting with my (new to me) 7x57. I think of it as a .270 lite.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.
Originally Posted by WAM
Some of the velocities quoted are not what you see today.

True. I remember chronographing a 140 grain load out of my 22 inch barrel Model 70, and it came up 200 fps short from what was claimed. By the way, it was a over max load of IMR4350 that Jim Carmichael had given.

But, it sill killed the snot of a deer.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

I have a Featherweight 7x57 like yours and I used the 160 grain Sierra BT/Nosler Partition and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped in it with good results. Didn't seem all that hard to find an accurate load in it.

Thinking of trying IMR 4451 with the 160 grain Sierra for a deer/rabbit/antelope load.
Originally Posted by Filaman
I'm looking forward to shooting and hunting with my (new to me) 7x57. I think of it as a .270 lite.

"Although we have a generous superfluous, abundance of rifle cartridges, it is interesting to note that with only a few exceptions, the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (The .270 Win is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007 under size.)" Finn Aagaard.

Think of it as a .270 Straight...
Wouldn't that be the .270 Ingwe?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Wouldn't that be the .270 Ingwe?

No.

Theres .270 Win ( aka .270 Gay)

Theres the .270 Ingwe-a preposterous wildcat cartridge that violates all things holy about the 7x57

Then theres the 7x57...the Ultimate, Consummate cartridge...
laugh laugh

Think of it as a .270 Straight...

BrokebackĂ—57
AI that sumbich and we'll talk....
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

HS, I did just that, spent a bunch, but in the end not sure it was worth it.... Shot well, was a little faster, but the 7x57 is 'just right' as it is.. IMHO.

If I end up with another '7' it will probably be a x57 NOT AI'd
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? I get excellent accuracy and some really great velocity with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I'm talkin' .50 to .75" groups and 2800 FPS+ for velocity. The same load does MOA and about 2760 FPS from a Ruger #1A. The only rifle I'm still having trouble with is the custom Mauser that has an extremely tight chamber.

I'll be doing some work with the Mauser once my doctor clears me for shooting. I have fired a single shot this year thanks to an accident in my truck where my chest got banged up a bit. I see him again next month and I'm gonna push it. I'll go shoot after that whether he OKs it or not.

The plan is to run some factory ammo from the M70 and the Mauser over the chronograph to see the actual difference. I did do a short run with what few 175 gr. Hornady RNs I had left, loaded to duplicate the original 1892/3 load. The Mauser ran roughly 150 FPS faster at 2450 FPS vs he 2320 FPS average between the M70 and Ruger #1. Still trying to figure that one out.
Paul B.
Some people just can't leave well enough alone. laugh

I have a Featherweight 7x57 like yours and I used the 160 grain Sierra BT/Nosler Partition and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped in it with good results. Didn't seem all that hard to find an accurate load in it.

Thinking of trying IMR 4451 with the 160 grain Sierra for a deer/rabbit/antelope load.

Try Ramshot Hunter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? Paul B.

I have not, but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you're on the mend.

Originally Posted by MagMarc
Try Ramshot Hunter

I've used it and Big Game. Neither would do squat with the 140-gr Partitions, although the rifle shoots heavies really well with Hunter.
A 7mm round at said speeds is truly a ballistic sweet spot ... coupled with a recoil sweet spot. With short action options. What's not to like?

Sheesh, EVERYTHING can't be a 6.5 Creed ...

[sound of umbrella opening]
I this day and age,I'd go 284 Kreedmire,over BR.

Hint...............

"I haven't made any very long shots with the 7Ă—57, but I try to avoid long shots with any rifle. Most game is killed at 200 yards or less, but many of these kills get stretched out when they are processed through a typewriter."

Love this guy.
It is not so, that the .270 Win. and the .30-06 are not just so.
As are the 7mm-08 and the .308 Win. so so.
Now, while the 8x57 is being more so, it is just so,
that the 7x57 Mauser is just so much more, just so.

Thank you for the article.
Rev Mike my buddies's 1A didn't like anything either till I handed him a box of Super x 175 gr RN's. My 1st year production m77r has the same long throat the 154 hornady rn works well also. MB
Originally Posted by Muffin

HS, I did just that, spent a bunch, but in the end not sure it was worth it.... Shot well, was a little faster, but the 7x57 is 'just right' as it is.. IMHO.

If I end up with another '7' it will probably be a x57 NOT AI'd

I've seen you mention that AI'd 7x57. I'll admit I'm jealous. I don't know if I understand what you mean by "just right". I believe in certain velocities for certain bullets at certain ranges, I believe in reamer specs that give the bullet a good head start, and I believe in case efficiency relative to bore size. In my estimation, the 7x57 AI with the right reamer specs covers those bases pretty well. I should add that I'm not a fan of case taper. It means I'll have to lose time and brass through trimming, and I just don't have time for that anymore. An AI'd Mauser case in a standard-length action with a minimum but long throat so that long bullets are in the neck rather than in the case, and that comes pretty close to Western hunting perfection, given today's affordable bullet, optic, and LRF tech.

To each his own though. If I lived in Florida, I'd likely agree that screwing around with an AI just isn't required. I did live in Florida for a short time in my 20's and what I saw for possible hunting didn't require anything special in regard to cases, bullets, optics, or range finders.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? Paul B.

I have not, but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you're on the mend.

Originally Posted by MagMarc
Try Ramshot Hunter

I've used it and Big Game. Neither would do squat with the 140-gr Partitions, although the rifle shoots heavies really well with Hunter.

I figure I've been healed up for at least two, maybe three months. Sternum cracked in four places and breathing hasn't hurt for months.

I have two pressure series loaded up for the 7x57 and I'm anxious to run them over the Chrony. Then there is the test to compare factory in the Mauser vs the M70 to get an idea about figuring out the problem with the Mauser. It's too late now to even try to book an elk hunt but I'll cal the outfitter after I get to shooting again and see if he has any last minute cancellations. Who know? I just might get lucky.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Rev Mike my buddies's 1A didn't like anything either till I handed him a box of Super x 175 gr RN's. My 1st year production m77r has the same long throat the 154 hornady rn works well also. MB

The 175-gr RN is one of the bullets this particular rifle actually likes.

I haven’t had much luck getting 140 partitions, 139 or 154 interlocks to do well in 7 anything. This is difficult for me because interlocks shoot great for me in everything else and usually what I reach for. When I want lighter in 7mm, the Speer 145 hotcor has been a consistent standout in 7x57, 7-08 and a couple of 280’s. The 150 and 160 partition do good as well for me. I’ve pretty much settled on 145 hotcor for deer, 160 partition for bigger stuff when needed. Do have an itch to try 145 LRX’s though. Going to wait until I see how the 129 LRX does on game in my 270 first.
Mike check the throat length and adj your seating to work, works for me. MB
Always a great read!
40 years and still the little guy !

When will it grow up ? whistle

laugh laugh

Just joking, couldn't help it.

Jerry
It is all grown up,it's just a welter weight that hits like a heavy weight. wink grin
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Mike check the throat length and adj your seating to work, works for me. MB

That's pretty much the procedure I'm going to follow. I have some four-round lots loaded with I4350 and the Tipped Match Kings in .5 grain increments. They're loaded .10 off the lands. Once I find out which is the most promising I'll start reducing the CBTO length. We will see what happens. The thought has gone through my head that as a last resort I'd send it to Hill for a complete make-over, but I can't bring myself to justify spending $1700 to do it.
It is all grown up,it's just a welter weight that hits like a heavy weight. wink grin

wink

Jerry
Originally Posted by GeoW

If not for Eleanor, Jack would have starved to death.

g

Applause
35 years ago I had an original 7mm Rolling Block and 13 boxes of Privi 175 grain round nose soft point. It resembled the load pictured below with a little more core exposed, The jacket was pretty heavy and the core was dead soft- you could mark it with your thumbnail.

[Linked Image from wholesalehunter.com]
https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/304

The last 2" of the Rolling Block's barrel was washed out so me and a gunsmith pal bobbed it off even with the forend metal, recrowned it and modofied a set of Williams aperture and bead sights to fit. The rifle still had nearly 27 inches of barrel left and it was plenty accurate with that load. I lived in an area rich with deer, coyotes, groundhogs etc. Aside from zeroing and shooting enough to find MPBR, practically every round from the next 6-7 boxes killed something; and for all the modern varmint and deer rifles I've used, nothing flattened stuff better than that old Roller with 175 grain RNSP bullets.

If I had to hunt the rest of my life with a good 7x57 or 7-08, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Just my $.02

RM

HERETIC!!

BLASPHEMER!

I got your back, let me know if you need help with the slap down.
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop.

I googled that and found the following quote from Seafire on archive, thus no link.

out of an older Hornady manual, I picked up a load of 40 grains of IMR 3031..

not what folks traditionally think of with the 7 mm Mauser, especially with that heavy of a bullet...

however out of 3 different rifles chambered in that round with 22 inch barrels, that load gave me MV of 2650 fps, with the 175 grain RN, and also groups sizes were about half an inch...

the two Rugers liked that combo best of all... the 175 SP shot 3/4 inch groups.. but with the RN's they shot 1/2 inch groups...

those Rugers loved IMR 3031! especially a charge of 40 grains, regardless of bullet weight...
I remember reading that article years ago.

I first bought a 7x57 about 40 years ago. More recently, over perhaps the last couple of decades, I've been using the rimmed version. Either way they seem to perform well. I've killed truckloads of animals with them. They seem to have a good balance of killing power and manageability - even in a 6 lb rifle sans recoil pad.
Here's some 3031 loads in an old Hornady 3rd Edition 1980 manual.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 7x57 was a great cartridge in its time. It is still a very capable cartridge but offers nothing for me. There is nothing the 7x57 can do that I can't get done with a 6.5CM or 7mm-08. Shorter/lighter action, many more ammo options from the factory, etc. Plus, I have a .280 Rem.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The 7x57 was a great cartridge in its time. It is still a very capable cartridge but offers nothing for me. There is nothing the 7x57 can do that I can't get done with a 6.5CM or 7mm-08. Shorter/lighter action, many more ammo options from the factory, etc. Plus, I have a .280 Rem.

It's kinda like driving an old classic car. There are lots of new cars that are better, but then a new car is not a classic either.

I would sell my 280 way before my 275Rigby. smile
I would never pick the 7x57 over the 7mm08 unless I was in love with the particular platform the 7x57 came in.
So many things are chosen by emotion and not what is practical at the time.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Here's some 3031 loads in an old Hornady 3rd Edition 1980 manual.

Had that edition which I used for my M70FW,
always recall the 2900 MV with 154 grain,
(test rifle being a custom F. N. Mauser/ 22 inch.)
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Is that necessarily bad?
Rev Mike, have you tried the 156.gr Norma Oryx. It is by far the most accurate round in all three of my rifles. It’s a JB load, pretty sure it’s 46 gr of H4350. Check Gun Gack one.
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Is that necessarily bad?

Emotion has totally [bleep] this country. So no, it's not bad, if you're a chick.
RM8: I agree the the country is headed in a dangerous direction.

But from a strictly practical standpoint, while Ruger American Rifle is more practical, I'd prefer to hunt with the pre64 M70 that belonged to my father.

It won't accomplish the mission any better than the RAR, But emotionally, I'd prefer to carry the M70, or a dozen other rifles that may cost much more than the RAR, but don't dispatch bambi any better.

Is this bad? You yourself just said " I would never pick the 7x57 over the 7mm08 unless I was in love with the particular platform the 7x57 came in.". Isn't "love" an emotion?
Good stuff there. I love my 7x57s, and they work exactly as advertised.
Great JOC article on the 7x57, Thanks.

I also enjoyed the Imbedded 7mm vs 30 Caliber article by JR Sundra.
30% less recoil with comparable SDs is compelling.

I wonder how 6.5s would compare with modern bullet construction
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Rev Mike, have you tried the 156.gr Norma Oryx. It is by far the most accurate round in all three of my rifles. It’s a JB load, pretty sure it’s 46 gr of H4350. Check Gun Gack one.

I have not, but I have a box and I'll put them in the rotation for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

Need a "Like" button...
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It's kinda like driving an old classic car. There are lots of new cars that are better, but then a new car is not a classic either.

I would sell my 280 way before my 275Rigby. smile

I understand the attraction. Had a 1967 Pontiac GTO convertible when I was in the USAF. Navy blue, white top, 6.5liter engine, Muncie transmission, Hurst shifter, hood mounted tach. Could get scratch in 3rd gear. Loved that car but wouldn't trade any of my current vehicles for it.

Good one elk.

Seven Deadly Millimeters - Ron Spomer

7mm Mauser - Smallbore Blockbuster - Ross Seyfried

The Welterweight Rifle with the Heavyweight Punch - John Jobson

Big Punch in Little Case - Jack O'Connor
Along with the .257 Roberts and 6.5x55, the old 7x57 is one of my all time favourites. I have one in a Ruger No.1A and after playing with a few new rifles and cartridges this is one rifle I keep coming back to. I would of loved one of the Ruger bolt rifles from a few years ago with the blued bolt handle and black fore end but we didn't get any out here. I have a real soft spot for the older cartridges that just seem to work with no real fuss.
Having grown up reading the writings of JOC, along with others such as Jobson, who sang the praises of the 7X57, I eventually had to have one myself. I ended up with a Model 70 Lightweight, and have had it for well over 20 years. By far and away, the biggest percentage of my deer have been killed with cartridges in the 6.5 to 7 mm range. That includes the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X55 Swede, 270 Winchester, 7X57, and the 7-08. I've killed at least twice as many with the 270 than all the others combined, and consider it to be best deer killing cartridge I've ever used.

If one is to believe everyone they read, they might end up believing that certain cartridges are "magical", in their performance. I think that's what we've been led to believe about the 7X57, as well as several others. I've read all the books that Karamojo Bell wrote, and we all have heard the story about all the elephants he killed with the 7X57, and how "magical" it seemed to be. However, Bell also killed a slew of elephants with other cartridges also, and often commented as to how it was the reliability of the excellent German made ammunition that led him to use the 7X57 so much.

The 7X57 is a good cartridge, otherwise it wouldn't still be around after over a 125 years. But, to be honest, it's not any better than any others in it's range. It's still hanging around, mostly I believe, on the account of all the nostalgia connected to it. There's nothing wrong with that either, as I like the idea of using a cartridge with all that history behind. Use it, and be happy with it, as I have done myself.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Having grown up reading the writings of JOC, along with others such as Jobson, who sang the praises of the 7X57, I eventually had to have one myself. I ended up with a Model 70 Lightweight, and have had it for well over 20 years. By far and away, the biggest percentage of my deer have been killed with cartridges in the 6.5 to 7 mm range. That includes the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X55 Swede, 270 Winchester, 7X57, and the 7-08. I've killed at least twice as many with the 270 than all the others combined, and consider it to be best deer killing cartridge I've ever used.

If one is to believe everyone they read, they might end up believing that certain cartridges are "magical", in their performance. I think that's what we've been led to believe about the 7X57, as well as several others. I've read all the books that Karamojo Bell wrote, and we all have heard the story about all the elephants he killed with the 7X57, and how "magical" it seemed to be. However, Bell also killed a slew of elephants with other cartridges also, and often commented as to how it was the reliability of the excellent German made ammunition that led him to use the 7X57 so much.

The 7X57 is a good cartridge, otherwise it wouldn't still be around after over a 125 years. But, to be honest, it's not any better than any others in it's range. It's still hanging around, mostly I believe, on the account of all the nostalgia connected to it. There's nothing wrong with that either, as I like the idea of using a cartridge with all that history behind. Use it, and be happy with it, as I have done myself.

Apart from nostalgia the cartridge length which lends itself to a standard length action coupled with reasonable recoil are about the only reasons I can think for owning one...or picking one up cheap.

Good one elk.

Interesting how every time the 7x57 comes up the thread just runs on and on and on.

I just found an old thread that contains the Jobson article, as well as another by O'Connor. I hadn't read the Jobson article before this. I got a kick out of him just barely disguising his shot over Elmer Keith's bow. Evidently Jobson was more of a fan of Eleanor O'Connor than he was of Elmer Keith.

Good stuff!
My 7x57 is a Liberty edition 1A with beautiful wood....
Shoots well if hang a 150 BT way out there with an over book charge of H4350 (IIRC). Good speed (2800 IIRC) and 3/4” groups.

I should drag it back out......

Good one elk.

Interesting how every time the 7x57 comes up the thread just runs on and on and on.

I just found an old thread that contains the Jobson article, as well as another by O'Connor. I hadn't read the Jobson article before this. I got a kick out of him just barely disguising his shot over Elmer Keith's bow. Evidently Jobson was more of a fan of Eleanor O'Connor than he was of Elmer Keith.

Good stuff!

Maybe John Jobson saw through all the bragging and chest thumping from Elmer, and saw what really mattered.

Good stuff!

It is simply because it is the Consummate, Ultimate Cartridge.... laugh
7X57 Mauser References

2019 - Handloader #320, June, The Modern 7x57, John Barsness

2017 - American Rifleman, October, A Tale of Two Sevens, Craig Boddington

2015 - Guns Magazine, May, The Magnificent 7x57 Mauser, John Barsness

2015 - Sporting Shooter Magazine, Handloading the 7x57 Mauser, Nick Harvey

2014 - Rifle Magazine #273, March, Ruger 7x57mm Mauser, Dave Scovill

2014 - Handloader #289, April, 7x57 Mauser Part II, Gil Sengel

2012 - African Expedition, Mauser's 7mm, Koos Barnard

2012 - Guns and Hunting - Two Decades of Thoughts on Guns and Calibers, A Tale of Two Sevens (Chapter 1). The 7x57 mm Mauser (Chapter 17). Finn Aagaard

2012 - Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, 7X57mm Mauser, Dave Scovill

Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, Contemporaries of the 7x57, Mike Venturino

Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, The 7mm Comes Full Circle, John Haviland

Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, Seven Deadly Millimeters, Ron Spomer

Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, The Legacy of the 7x57, John Barsness

Rifle Magazine, Fall 2012 Special Edition, The Commercial Sevens, Mike Venturino

2010 – New Zealand Guns and Hunting, #119, July/August, The 7X57 Stalking Rifle, Garry Keown

2010 – New Zealand Guns and Hunting, #118, May/June, The 7X57 – the 7mm Mauser and the 275 Rigby,
Garry Keown

2009 – American Rifleman, November, A Perfectly Delightful Cartridge – 7x57 mm Mauser, Jim Wilson

2008 – Handloader, #252, April/May, 7x57 Mauser - The “First” 7mm, John Haviland

2007 – Handloader, #246, April/May, 7x57mm Mauser – The Original 7mm, John Barsness

2004 – Handloader, #231, October/November, 7x57mm Mauser – Accolades from an admirer, Steve Gash

2001 – Handloader, #211, June/July, 7x57mm Mauser – The grand, old 7mm, Stan Trzonec

2000 – Handloader, #206, August/September, 7mm’s – The all-American standard, John Barsness

1999 – American Rifleman, February, 7x57mm Mauser in Modern Rifles, Edward A. Matunas

1995 – Handloader, February 1995, Modern Powders in the 7x57, Ken Waters

1992 – Game Loads And Practical Ballistics For the American Hunter, (see index), Bob Hagel

1991-Guns and Ammo, 1991, 7mm Mauser…Smallbore Blockbuster!, Ross Seyfried

1991 – Rifle, #137, September/October, The 7mm Mauser, Ludwig Olson

1990-American Rifleman, April, 1990, John Rigby & Co., Finn Aagaard

1989 – Nosler Reloading Manual, The 7x57 Mauser, Finn Aagaard

1986-American Rifleman, Nov. 1986, The 7x57 Mauser, Finn Aagaard

1986-Guns, July, 1986, Know Your Hunting Cartridges: The 7mm Mauser, Ed Matunas

1984 – Outdoor Life, March, The 7x57 Mauser, Jim Carmichael

1983 – Handloader, #102, March/April, light hunting bullets in the 7x57mm, Mike Venturino

1982 – Rifle, #83, September/October, Model 70 Featherweight – 7x57mm, Bob Hagel

1982 – Handloader #95, January/February, still popular…7mm Mauser, Ken Waters

1977 – Handloader, #66, March/ April, Super velocities in ONE 7x57, Dennis Hall

1974 – Gun Digest, #28, Forty Years with the Little 7mm, Jack O’Connor

1973 - Gun Digest, 27th Anniversary Edition, The Beautiful Blazers all but Forgotten ! Bob Bell

1976 – Guns & Ammo, November 1976, 7x57 Mauser, Les Bowman

1973 – Sports Afield, August, The Welterweight Rifle With The Heavyweight Punch, John Jobson

1973 – Rifle, #27, May/June, Ruger 77 7x57---, Bob Hagel

1970 – The Hunting Rifle, Big Punch in Little Case, Jack O’Connor

1968 – Handloader, # 16, November/December, Cartridge of the Month, 7mm Mauser, (Staff)

1968 – Handloader, September, The 7x57 Mauser, Ken Waters

1967- Gun Digest 1967, The Mysterious Seven, Robert Sherwood

1964 – The Rifle Book, The All-Around Rifle (7x57), Jack O’Connor

1948 – Outdoor Life, October, Arms and Ammunition – The 7mm is great stuff for most big game. Jack O’Connor
I believe you posted either this list, or one like it, before as I've used it to dig up a bunch of these articles. Thanks for posting it.
What, a 7mm Mauser thread and no pictures?

My (circa 1984) Ruger M77.

Eleanore O'Connor 7x57

Eleanore O'Connor 7x57 and 30-06

My custom 7x57

My Winchester M 70 7x57 Featherweight. Not the XTR but the South Carolina one (I think).

Does a 275Rigby count?

My custom 7x57

My Winchester M 70 7x57 Featherweight. Not the XTR but the South Carolina one (I think).

Fleur-de-lis puts into Jack O'Connor class.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've read all the books that Karamojo Bell wrote, and we all have heard the story about all the elephants he killed with the 7X57, and how "magical" it seemed to be. However, Bell also killed a slew of elephants with other cartridges also, and often commented as to how it was the reliability of the excellent German made ammunition that led him to use the 7X57 so much.

7x57 was not Bells most reliable killer
M98 was not his most reliable rifle, nor
was his M98 7mm his personal favorite.

Bell put his success with small bores
down to understanding anatomy and
proper shot placement, yet writers since
have spun up and perpetuated the 'magic'.

The often mentioned 'punching above weight'
is hype, for on the pragmatic real world level
Bell simply found through experience that
.256 bore, .275 bore, .303 Cal, killed just as
effectively with correct shot placement... (ie;)
In scientific empirical evidence terms,. Smaller
bores to the brain/heart was proven suffiicient
despite all the marketing hype from companies
trying to push their proprietary large bores.

Those who get sold on gun Co. hype about large
bores and muzzle energies, might then imagine
smaller bores having some magical mysterious
punch above their weight ability.

Sober rational minds would say they
just plain work when applied correctly.

My custom 7x57

Fleur-de-lis puts into Jack O'Connor class.

wink

Does a 275Rigby count?

Oh sure, some people just prefer their calibers in inches. grin

Ken:

Definitely SC - the 7x57 was produced before assembly was moved to Portugal. Nice custom, by the way.
M1909 7x57, Burris 4x Signature (USA), 22" Douglas Air Gauge No 1, no idea what flavor of walnut but looks like you could dip a spoon it it and eat it. smile

Ken:

Definitely SC - the 7x57 was produced before assembly was moved to Portugal. Nice custom, by the way.

Thanks Rev.
© 24hourcampfire