Home
Posted By: JamesJr Walmart ADL Transformation - 08/31/20
I bought one of the Model 700 ADL 223 on clearance at Walmart. Didn't like it in that configuration, so did a little work on it. Had my gunsmith lop 4 inches off the barrel, making it a 20 incher. Turned it into a BDL using a stock and bottom metal I had on hand. Left the Weaver bases on, and replaced the junk scope with a Zeiss Terra 4X12 I had laying around. Tried a bunch of different powder and bullet combos, before finding one with 27.5 Varget and a 55 grain VMax. The top three shots were too high at a 100 yards, so I adjusted it to where the bottom two are. I think it'll work for what I want.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: scoony Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 08/31/20
I mounted a SWFA 6x on mine. I am contemplating the dbm route with mine.

I am also thinking about getting mine cut to 20” and threaded for a suppressor.

Sierra 55 grain hpbt game kings with PP Varmint are shooting 1/2 groups at 100 yards.

I think y’all are just showing off. 😎
Posted By: scoony Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/04/20
I actually got mine really just to play with at the range.

Just for conversation sake, If I was to get a 20-21" remage barrel for this in a 1-8 twist to shoot the fodder I reload for my ARs, and I wanted to mount my suppressor on it, what barrel profile would give get me close to, but not over 0.75" at the muzzle? I am going to shoot through my supply of 55 grainers, but next year, I am thinking about a new barrel, stock, and dbm.
JamesJr: Good for you and good job on transforming that Rifle.
Looks great and shoots good to boot.
My question is this - was the barrel originally the "Varmint" contour or is it the sporter wieght?
Enjoy your nifty rig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Good to see accurate rifles coming out of Remington.
Glad to see I am not the only one using paper plates for targets though I like the white ones.
Posted By: scoony Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/05/20
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JamesJr: Good for you and good job on transforming that Rifle.
Looks great and shoots good to boot.
My question is this - was the barrel originally the "Varmint" contour or is it the sporter wieght?
Enjoy your nifty rig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

These are sporter weight barrels.
Another Walmart ADL, albeit 243...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/05/20
Heres another...a Walmart ADL from a few years back, that I converted to a BDL....

I call bullshit...everyone knows that new Remington 700s 1: don't shoot worth a damn. 2: the bolts fall apart right out of the box
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I call bullshit...everyone knows that new Remington 700s 1: don't shoot worth a damn. 2: the bolts fall apart right out of the box

Yeah, bolts fall off, extractors/ejectors need to be replaced, they go off accidentally all the time, the triggers need replaced, and yeah..they don;'t shoot. But the clearance price was right!

Oh...and I've found you have to replace the barrel about every 12,000 shots, depending on chambering. What pieces of schitt !
I think I'll sell the five I've got....
Wait, what's that about the triggers? grin
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/05/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Wait, what's that about the triggers? grin

Normally, I'll replace a Remington 700 or 7 trigger, especially if it's one of those XMark-Pro with the adjustment screw in the bottom of the trigger. EVERY one of the Walmart ADL's that I have bought have all had the XMark trigger without that screw, and had a dimple stamped on the bolt release, which supposedly means they were sent back to the factory and had the trigger reworked. Those triggers have all been perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. The one on the rifle I posted about here adjusted easily to the 3 pound setting that I like my hunting rifles to be.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Yeah, bolts fall off, extractors/ejectors need to be replaced, they go off accidentally all the time, the triggers need replaced, and yeah..they don;'t shoot. But the clearance price was right!

Oh...and I've found you have to replace the barrel about every 12,000 shots, depending on chambering. What pieces of schitt !

you should have said replace the trigger twice smile - I concur.

I love Ruger 77’s, and Sako 85’s. But at the end of the day if you replace the 2-3 faults in a remy (trigger, MAYBE the bolt handle, and if you want the extractor) you can make them shoot like a $2000 custom action.

Why the extractor is not all a bad thing -
not to mention they are the safety action for “over pressure” out there with the 3 rings of steel ... as your gunsmith how much bolt nose to barrel gap there is in a Model 70 with the extractor cut..
Sako’s, Rugers, even Bat’s bolt faces have web of the brass slightly exposed (up to 20 thousands, unless you have an extractor cut in the barrel, then it’s much more). Remy bolts cover that with thier recessed barrel cut and extending barrel face and if it blows they pressure seal it together.

I used to hate Remington 700’s until I became a smith... Now I bought 2 of them “clearance” 700’s , an an extra stripped stainless action for building Pdog /deer rifles ... it still irks me that they will be much safer than my Sako 85’s in an over pressure situation.

BTW - Remy just before the bankruptcy FINALLY upgraded their machinery so the latest 700’s coming off the line were built (straightness anyway) much, much better than in previous years.

Posted By: scoony Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/05/20

What DBM is that? How do you like it? I am looking at the PT&G DBM with AICS Mags
Ingwe -

Which brand of bottom metal did you go with ?

Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres another...a Walmart ADL from a few years back, that I converted to a BDL....

Do Wal Mart's all over the country, except Billings, MT. do these nice "clearance sales" on rifles? Every time these "sales" on Vanguards or 700s come up on this forum I head on down to Wal Mart only to find that the prices haven't moved one cent. When I ask the gun counter guys (who I know) about these current sales they look at me like I have an antler growing out of my forehead.
When the sales hit you need to check www.brickseek.com to see what stores have those specific models in stock, then go there and tell them it’s in stock and you want it....

Every once and a while a stupid employee might try to “misplace one” so they can get it cheaper later - however there is this little thing about not being able to locate rifles in inventory that the ATF gives nasty, nasty fines for ... so if you ask about it being in inventory and asking for the manager they tend to show up right after you head home.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Do Wal Mart's all over the country, except Billings, MT. do these nice "clearance sales" on rifles? Every time these "sales" on Vanguards or 700s come up on this forum I head on down to Wal Mart only to find that the prices haven't moved one cent. When I ask the gun counter guys (who I know) about these current sales they look at me like I have an antler growing out of my forehead.

Nope, some do some don't. Billings lowlander had the Vanguards in 2018. BTDT But the one on the hill never dropped. Generally, besides the 223 final clearance 700s, I have not seen the 700s drop in this part of the county. Never below $300. Great Falls, one store drops, the other not. In Missoula, the 1100s at both stores went low in 2019. In Idaho, Burley might drop snd Boise doesn't. In 2020, the 223 700s were being phased out and stores received 1 each, vs other times its left overs at that store. Never know. Usually. Iirc the discounts will be at Walmarts with the full gun display, not the turn style type.
Originally Posted by scoony

What DBM is that? How do you like it? I am looking at the PT&G DBM with AICS Mags

Low dollar Magpul. Works fine.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/06/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
When the sales hit you need to check www.brickseek.com to see what stores have those specific models in stock, then go there and tell them it’s in stock and you want it....

Every once and a while a stupid employee might try to “misplace one” so they can get it cheaper later - however there is this little thing about not being able to locate rifles in inventory that the ATF gives nasty, nasty fines for ... so if you ask about it being in inventory and asking for the manager they tend to show up right after you head home.

When I first started chasing the Walmart clearance items using Brickseek 3 years ago, I found that if Brickseek showed it being there, it was there. I can only recall one time that the sporting goods department couldn't come up with an item, and that was a scope. Last year, there were several times that items weren't there, mostly stuff like trail cams and scopes. This year was a different story. I took one road trip in which I hit 5 different Walmarts that were showing up on Brickseek as having guns in stock, and only one of them actually did. I asked to see a store manager at one, and insisted that he personally check the inventory. He did, and showed me the log that they keep of guns in stock, and it showed zero stock for the Remington 700 ADL in 223, the one Brockseek showed they had. All I could do was to take his word for it.

Now, here's the kicker.............checking Brickseek today, they still show that three Walmarts close to me have those rifles in stock, for $79. There is evidently a glitch somewhere in the system, either on Brickseek or Walmart's inventory list. I doubt that they have "lost" or "misplaced" that many rifles.
Another $375 ADL 308 after some upgrades. Less than $600 in the whole thing.

It shoots too, 300yds with Fusion 165gr

Posted By: scoony Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/06/20
ANother trip to the range with my Walmart Rem 700 adl 223. Tested some new loads and shot out to 200 yards today.

The barrel was hot so I was aiming through a mirage but managed to shoot this group with the 55 grain HPBTs at 200 yards. I screwed up when installing the zero stop kit in the SWFA 6x. First shots today was way low. Had my son help spot as I shot at a 330 yard steel plate and adjust the reticle. Turns out, I was a complete rotation off. I must have miscounted the rotations when figuring out the shims to use. Once I figured that out I was back on target.

What is weird is the only modification is mounting a scope. The barrel is making all sorts of contact with the stock and I was not allowing the barrel to cool down between shots/groups. Shot 5 round group after group. Rifle did not seem to care. Vmax with 27 grains varget also seems to be a very good load. Next time out will be 10 shots groups and 300 yard test. Also have a bunch 55 grain spire points that I want to shoot up.

Posted By: hookeye Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/07/20
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

When I first started chasing the Walmart clearance items using Brickseek 3 years ago, I found that if Brickseek showed it being there, it was there. I can only recall one time that the sporting goods department couldn't come up with an item, and that was a scope. Last year, there were several times that items weren't there, mostly stuff like trail cams and scopes. This year was a different story. I took one road trip in which I hit 5 different Walmarts that were showing up on Brickseek as having guns in stock, and only one of them actually did. I asked to see a store manager at one, and insisted that he personally check the inventory. He did, and showed me the log that they keep of guns in stock, and it showed zero stock for the Remington 700 ADL in 223, the one Brockseek showed they had. All I could do was to take his word for it.

Now, here's the kicker.............checking Brickseek today, they still show that three Walmarts close to me have those rifles in stock, for $79. There is evidently a glitch somewhere in the system, either on Brickseek or Walmart's inventory list. I doubt that they have "lost" or "misplaced" that many rifles.

I checked Brickseek, went to a distant walmart, they had at least one of that SKU......in the display rack.
Worker was clueless, said they had nobody to sell a gun today.

Might drive back and get a manager.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Nope, some do some don't. Billings lowlander had the Vanguards in 2018. BTDT But the one on the hill never dropped. Generally, besides the 223 final clearance 700s, I have not seen the 700s drop in this part of the county. Never below $300. Great Falls, one store drops, the other not. In Missoula, the 1100s at both stores went low in 2019. In Idaho, Burley might drop snd Boise doesn't. In 2020, the 223 700s were being phased out and stores received 1 each, vs other times its left overs at that store. Never know. Usually. Iirc the discounts will be at Walmarts with the full gun display, not the turn style type.

FYI, a few weeks ago, a friend of mine just bought a closeout 700 ADL 223 at one of the Missoula Walmarts for $189...
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/07/20
Here’s one I did a few years ago. Sold it to member here.

700 ADL 223
Bedded it in a classic, cut the barrel to 22”, dropped a walker trigger into it and swapped out the plastic trigger guard for an aluminum one

It shot 55g NBT pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: dale06 Re: Walmart ADL Transformation - 09/09/20
Just bought one of the new SPS Rem 700s in 223. One trip to range, shoots Nos 50 BT just under 1”, five shots/100 yds.
It did put a Trigger Tech in it though.
© 24hourcampfire