Home
in a bolt action.... Ruger American Predator...

Picked one up this summer....took some getting use to, especially at the reload bench, but we are both starting to figure each other out...

Been getting rewarded with tight groups... not much on powder... and gives surprisingly good velocity for the bullet weights....

2900 fps plus with 90 to 100 grain bullets...

2400 to 2600 with 120 to 123 grain bullets...

today hit 2400 fps with a 140 grain Speer SP...might have to try that with a 140 grain Ballistic Tip...
29 grains of W 748....

Accuracy powders in mine, seem to be 2015, AR Comp and W 748.....but the number of rounds down the barrel seem to be smoothing up the action, and accuracy...

another advantage seems to be, at 100 yds, getting pretty much or very close to the same points of impact...definitely minute of deer.....within half an inch at most variation in Point of Impact....

The rifle comes with an AR 10 round mag....I've asked about if they make other mags, that are for 223, that are modified to fit the Grendal round... was surprised and pleased to find out at the range today, that any AR mag with fit it... but the 223 AR Mags also have no problem taking the 6,5 Grendal round.. so guess I am going to be picking up a Mag Pul Magazine or two in the 5 round configuration... in a Polymer instead of the Steel....

3 shot groups you can cover with a nickel or dime.... 5 shot groups you can cover with a quarter to half dollar size.. worse groups maybe need a little bigger half dollar.. but fits right in there...

The end of the muzzle is threaded.... so might have to get on the list for a can for it, if Biden and CommunMamaDingDong ain't give the keys to the White House...

even at those velocities, the aerodynamic of the 6.5 cal bullets, it is still a pretty flat shooter.. at least according to the gongs at 300 and 400 yds are our local range...

Scope on top... 3 x 12 Bushnell AR scope....fits the rifle profile well, and a pretty usable scope for the job at hand...
Glass plenty good for my less than perfect eye sight...

now all I need is a candidate for the supper table, which are running all over the yard and neighborhood and the surrounding woods bordering the neighborhood...
My 9 year old son has killed 3 deer over the last three seasons with an AR upper in 6.5 Grendel. He is small for his age, so even compact bolt guns are too long on LOP for him. All three kills have been clean with factory Hornady 123 gr. SSTs. I built a “pistol” upper for him first, but wasn’t happy with the accuracy, even though the 12” barreled upper made a perfect fit for him. Then, for the next season, I built a 16” upper with a Faxon barrel. It was okay, but nothing to get real excited about. I sprang for one of Andy Holbein’s Grendel Hunter uppers and it is really nice. I am still not handloading for it, but I probably will try to work up something before next year.

Yours sound like a good setup. I wish you the best on filling the freezer with it.

I’m shooting the 120 Sierra and 120 NBT in my heavy barreled Howa mini with H4895, 2520fps and great accuracy.
I miss my Grendel. Experimenter in me believes it to be the perfect youth whitetail cartridge. Visions of the 100 grain Partition cause me to think zero recoil and complete penetration.
I decided on slim and trim for my Grendel; stole a Howa Mini from Whittakers and ponied up for a hinged floorplate to get rid of the box hanging out the bottom. Boomie is whittling one of the stocks down, but I might spring for one of Wayne York’s 18oz stocks when the dust settles from my other recent purchases.

This one likes the Speer 120gr gold dots so well I may never get around to trying the 129gr ABLRs. Zeroed at 100, it’s about 5” low at 200, or right on the dot just below the center with the scope set on 9x.

Great little round, and rifle.

I thinned my stock down considerably on my mini and put a 1/2” recoil pad on it. It completely changed the feel of the rifle.
I’m running the Youth stock on mine with a 1/2” Limbsaver slip-on. It’s perfect, and I can take it off if I’m wearing a bunch of heavy clothes. Boomer has the adult stock, which may go to my grandson for his when he grows a bit.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I miss my Grendel. Experimenter in me believes it to be the perfect youth whitetail cartridge. Visions of the 100 grain Partition cause me to think zero recoil and complete penetration.

its size works real well for those of us in the Social Security Crowd also...
Just curious if you have used any CFE 223 powder while reloading for the Grendel? I’ve got a PSA 18” upper wearing a SWFA 10x scope. It shoots good enough to kill deer, caribou, etc., but nothing to write home about. I’m on. 6.5 Grendel Facebook page and several guys seem to get their best accuracy from using CFE 223 over other powders. On that same page, there’s a gentleman here in SC AK, that has been using his 6.5 Grendel AR for black bear. I think he’s using 123 gr. SST’s with no issues. He and I have had some exchanges as it’s piqued my interest in using my Grendel on a bear and caribou, in the near future.
I cut down the barrel on Howa Mini to 16" and it's in a trimmed up youth stock with the Oregongunsmithing bottom metal. Getting 2427 fps w / hornady 123gr sst and Imr 8208 XBR. Groups just under 1" at 100. I'm 6' 2" and the youth stock works perfect for a stand or stalking gun. 6lb 5oz with the Redfield 2x7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Hudge
Just curious if you have used any CFE 223 powder while reloading for the Grendel? I’ve got a PSA 18” upper wearing a SWFA 10x scope. It shoots good enough to kill deer, caribou, etc., but nothing to write home about. I’m on. 6.5 Grendel Facebook page and several guys seem to get their best accuracy from using CFE 223 over other powders. On that same page, there’s a gentleman here in SC AK, that has been using his 6.5 Grendel AR for black bear. I think he’s using 123 gr. SST’s with no issues. He and I have had some exchanges as it’s piqued my interest in using my Grendel on a bear and caribou, in the near future.

I used it with 129gr ABLRS in a CZ with fair results. Using PP2000MR with the Gold Dots. Shoots better than the Noslers did, and the Gold Dots are about $13 for 50. Leaning towards this one for the Geezer doe season next week.
The hard part is finding Ammo for them in stock, if you don’t reload. I have both a 16” AR upper and a modded 20” Howa mini, and am waiting for a chance to shoot something with them. Lots of hogs here, but still way too hot to make hunting them a lot of fun. I have some Lapua brass, some loaded Hornady Black 123 ELDMs and Hornady Custom 123 SSTs to try. Might bring one to Bama in January to try on a deer. Either would make an excellent truck gun.
I've killed 1 coyote and a couple of 225-250# whitetail bucks with mine with the 123 sst the last couple years. With those 3 critters, it was like lightning hit em.
How did you guys trim/slim up the stocks?

Weagle that is a great looking rifle

I used and angle grinder with a flapper disc and a belt sander. Go slow

Attached picture 54A509BB-48E1-4797-9878-0086C48338A2.jpeg
Originally Posted by Hudge

CFE 223 works well with 123s in my Howa.

Grip

Attached picture 72661266-4EF7-4452-8207-B0C79D7C3683.jpeg
I have one as a Howa Mini lightweight profile for my 10yr old son for whitetail. I use XBR8208 and Nosler BT in 100 and 120gr. He didn’t get to shoot one with it yet but I did myself. Neck shot at 50yrds with the 100gr BT dropped it in its tracks and bullet exploded when it hit the neck bones. Did the job but worry about it if he hits the shoulder blade. I loaded up some 120 Barnes TTSX for this year. Either way the recoil is barely noticeable which is key for kids just starting out.
I used a Work Sharp hand held belt sander. I'm going to go back and reshape the pistol grip; open it up and slim it.

Originally Posted by PA_Probe
I have one as a Howa Mini lightweight profile for my 10yr old son for whitetail. I use XBR8208 and Nosler BT in 100 and 120gr. He didn’t get to shoot one with it yet but I did myself. Neck shot at 50yrds with the 100gr BT dropped it in its tracks and bullet exploded when it hit the neck bones. Did the job but worry about it if he hits the shoulder blade. I loaded up some 120 Barnes TTSX for this year. Either way the recoil is barely noticeable which is key for kids just starting out.

Ya know Nosler makes a 100 grain Partition also dontcha?

a 100 gr Ballistic Tip, has to have an impact velocity of less than 2400 or sl.....

shooting at bone at less than 100 to 125 yds, will blow up....

I do a behind the shoulder shot when using that bullet... I've taken a fair number of deer with it in the 260 in the last 20 years or so... the 125 partition or the 120 Ballistic tip might be a better choice...
I've taken a few deer with a 120gr Speer Gold Dot. 2400 fps out of my Howa Mini and about 2250 fps from my AR. Distance was 200 to 225 yds. The Gold Dots worked fantastic and all were quick one shot kills.
(I'm culling under ODNR crop damage permits.)
My daughter killed two bucks last year with her Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel. The Federal Fusion 120 grain performed very nicely.
My son's LaRue 6.5 Grendel
Results
That sure is a nice buck... would like to break mine in with that kind of result....
Originally Posted by weagle
I cut down the barrel on Howa Mini to 16" and it's in a trimmed up youth stock with the Oregongunsmithing bottom metal. Getting 2427 fps w / hornady 123gr sst and Imr 8208 XBR. Groups just under 1" at 100. I'm 6' 2" and the youth stock works perfect for a stand or stalking gun. 6lb 5oz with the Redfield 2x7

I shoot 8208xbr with the older 123 amax in my 18" mid length gased BHW 3 groove AR. They shoot incredibly well. I haven't tried the newer eldm yet because I bought several thousand amaxes when they closed them out. The SST shot pretty well but the Amax is sub 1/2 moa all day.

I really like 8208xbr. It meters great and its really temp stable. I used it in my 223s too. Works great from 50g vmaxes to 75g bthp and everything in between. I'm about to try 8208 in my 7-08. Might be a little fast burning for 7-08 but I'm going to give it a try.

Bb

I put together an AR 15 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel for the kids to hunt deer with.

I used it one day because I knew the horseback fox hunters on the property across the road had a hunt planned and their hounds move all sorts of game. Thought I might appreciate quick follow up shots. Ended up with an 8 point and a coyote for their efforts.
Originally Posted by coryj
I put together an AR 15 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel for the kids to hunt deer with.

I used it one day because I knew the horseback fox hunters on the property across the road had a hunt planned and their hounds move all sorts of game. Thought I might appreciate quick follow up shots. Ended up with an 8 point and a coyote for their efforts.

Awesome! What age kids? My about to be 7 year old has recently started shooting my grendel AR and really enjoys it. Perfect round to get started with IMO. What ammunition did you use and how was the performance on the 8 pt?
Originally Posted by edapp

Awesome! What age kids? My about to be 7 year old has recently started shooting my grendel AR and really enjoys it. Perfect round to get started with IMO. What ammunition did you use and how was the performance on the 8 pt?

My daughter is 12 this season (4th year hunting) and my son will be 8 in December (3rd year hunting). They both use 120 grain federal fusion (which I seem to have a tough time finding even when ammo isn't scarce). I like that bullet because it's a little tougher and I trust it if they make a less than ideal shot placement. My gun shoots the fusion and hornady black in small groups to the same POI so I tend to shoot the hornady black (which is much easier to find) when I hunt to preserve the fusion ammo I have for them. I'm down to ten rounds or so. It does not like the hornady SST at all which is a shame because I see it pretty regularly. The hornady black was a high neck/base of skull shot on the 8 point, dropped it dead in it's tracks. The hornady black performs well on heart/lung shots as well on my sample of a handful of does, I just avoid the shoulder with that bullet.

Anyone have any federal fusion they'd part with? I'd be happy with any quantity. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Just got back from the range, where I raised the POI to 1” high at 100. Should be dead-on at 150 and maybe 3” low at 200.

I love this little rifle. Definitely going hunting Satuday.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just got back from the range, where I raised the POI to 1” high at 100. Should be dead-on at 150 and maybe 3” low at 200.

I love this little rifle. Definitely going hunting Satuday.

It's a great little cartridge. Let us know what ya' kill!
I picked up a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel, with a 16.5" barrel and chassis stock for my 12yr old to hunt with this year. I haven't loaded anything for the rifle yet, so he will be using Federal Fusion 120gr ammo....I'm very interested in seeing how it works out.
140 grain Speers, on top pg 29 gr of W 748, at 100 yds, will give a real small hole going in, and a half dollar sized exit
hole on a blacktail buck....

Learned that this morning about 10 O'clock... nothing as outstanding as Skeen's son's buck...

but venison is venison...
Originally Posted by Seafire
140 grain Speers, on top pg 29 gr of W 748, at 100 yds, will give a real small hole going in, and a half dollar sized exit

Learned that this morning about 10 O'clock... nothing as outstanding as Skeen's son's buck...

Nice work!

Nice!
timely post as i'm thinking bout a CZ-527 american in 6.5 grendel with a 24" barrel. wonder what kinda velos folks get outta the 120 bt? seems performance on deer would be great with the 120 bt at 300 yds and in.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
timely post as i'm thinking bout a CZ-527 american in 6.5 grendel with a 24" barrel. wonder what kinda velos folks get outta the 120 bt? seems performance on deer would be great with the 120 bt at 300 yds and in.
Big Ed

After searching around for load data on the net... and finding it in bits and pieces, here and there.... I finally had a picture big enough to have a point of references, to go out and do some testing...

All powders in my Ruger Predator were more than capable turning out minute of blacktail or White tail at 300 yds...

Depending on powder and charge... with a 120, one can expect from 2400 to 2600 fps. MV...

another thing I found on line... loads for an AR 15, can be surpassed with the same powders for a bolt action model...

100 grains, can be run at 2850 to a hair less than 3000 fps MV... and Nosler makes an often over looked 100 grain Partition, and on some of their over runs for the Euro Market, a 105 gr SMP Partition can be found here and there out of their Pro Shop...

I'm not a Barnes fan, but they have made some 100 grainers in 6.5 mm....

The 140 I used from Speer... it put a dime sized hole going in, via the neck, just above the right shoulder, and came out on the other side, with a half dollar sized hole.. draining blood big time....

at 250 yds or less, with the velocity possible 2350 to 2400 fps....I like the heavier Sectional Density of the 140 grainers..
and the Speer definitely high lighted that works real well...

I was presented a Texas heart shot, but I don't take them... so when it stopped to get a look at where the other deer were scattering to, I placed my shot just off to the right of the rear hip... where part of the lower neck was exposed... shot hit pin point right there, and deer went down instantly, and rolled onto its back... with all four hoofs sticking up in the air, like a dog wanting his tummy rubbed... he had fallen into a slight indentation. .. hence his position...

think of the Grendal as a 30/30, with a flatter shooting bullet and a lot more pinpoint accuracy potential...

The Ruger Predator uses an AR Mag, and comes with a 10 rounder...I was able to try a Magpul 5 rounder for the 223...
a Grendal works just perfect with them also.. even tho the factory told me that one needed a Grendal mag exclusively.. thru them... which turned out to be false.... any AR 223 mag should work just fine with the Grendal Round....
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Nice work!

Thanks Joel and Skeen! Appreciate it!

I'd certainly recommend the rifle and the round, for kids, women, young and old... and makes a hand truck gun also...

My hand load which is just a little more than load book data, is only 300 fps behind the MV of a 140 grain Creedmoor factory load., and that can be adjusted for with a couple clicks up on the turrent elevation knob...

I used my 22", custom stocked, Howa mini exclusively this year for hunting. I ran Hammer 99 grain bullets and was impressed. The first buck was a blacktail at 100 yards - double lunged, he spun a circle and sat down. I shot three coyotes out to 210 yards with quick kills and great exit holes. With a little reservation, I took it with me on my Idaho deer hunting trip last week. I practiced out to five hundred, swore to stay inside four hundred and hoped for a three to three fifty shot. I ended up sneaking up to 176 on a good buck in his bed. when he finally stood up out of his bed, he was quartered away. the bullet entered about his second rib and exited in front of the off side shoulder. The buck fell over backward, slid down an icy windfall and expired. The exit wound was about the size of a nickel and internal damage was better than I expected. All in all, the Grendel performed great. I wish I could of stretched out the ranges for for testing a bit more but I did like the results - alot.
1st deer with the cut down (16 1/4" barrel) Howa Mini: 85yds, 123gr SST at 2427fps. High shoulder shot, never took a step.

Exit about golf ball size, I could not be happier with the performance of this little gun.

My kids 10 and 11 years old both got their deer yesterday with a Howa Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel. I loaded it light for them, 100g NBT at 2600 fps. We sighted it to be dead on at 200 yards. Daughters deer was ~ 175 yards and sons was a good 200 yards. Worked great on both.
Originally Posted by PA_Probe

My daughter's deer was hit in the high shoulder. Exit wound was 2 fist size, but it went through both shoulders. Sons deer was lung shot and exit was about the size of a nickel with very good lung damage.
1st deer with the cut down (16 1/4" barrel) Howa Mini: 85yds, 123gr SST at 2427fps. High shoulder shot, never took a step.

Exit about golf ball size, I could not be happier with the performance of this little gun.

Alright!
Originally Posted by skeen

Alright!

I've been seeing pics of deer being taken with the 6.5 Grendal, all over the net here...

One thing you commonly see, is the statement of a golf ball or a 50 cent sized exit hole.....
doesn't seem to matter what the bullet weight was....

even local guy here had the same thing happen, at 300 yds... 129 SP Hornady...golf ball sized exit hole...
Possibly it’s due to a fortuitous combination of enough velocity to fully expand, but not ‘splode the c&c bullets most use, plus enough bullet weight to carry them on through. Mule Deer and some others have commented on how “ordinary” or “deer” bullets perform well when kept to sane speeds. The Grendel starts them out well within that window, and maintains enough speed to ensure expansion to some surprising distances. It also helps I suspect, when you use bullets like the 129gr ABLR and Speer 120gr GD. The ABLR is supposed to expand down to 1300fps, and the Grendel can deliver it at that speed waayyyyy out there.
125gr Nosler partitions shoot great out of my 18" PSA barrel.
1st kill !
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Just swapped the 4.5-14 E1 on my Howa for a Weaver K6. Lost about 6oz and the balance seems improved. Had to remove the slip-on pad due to the scanty ER of the Weaver, but it still fits fine and passes the nose-bump test when worked from the shoulder.

No issues with the Burris, just wanted it for something that’s on its way here. I do wish they offered a standard duplex, but that ship has sailed. I’m totally satisfied with the passel of Philippine Burris scopes I’ve picked up over the last year.
Shot a 100 # ish pig at 220 yards today with my Howa. Picked up a couple of boxes of the old factory 123gr Amax last year. Quartering away - bullet entered back middle and exit opposite front shoulder. Went a couple yards. Not sure I connected with the others I took running shots at. Hate wasting those Amax.
Glad I read this I thought 140s would be too much
Sounds like they do just fine
Hank
Results

The boy's Grendel kills again. smile
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not deer related, but the Grendel gets it done on hogs.

https://youtu.be/KGmrzBW09hQ

Thanks, Dinny
I run 8208xbr in mine too. 2500fpswith a 123 amax from an 18" bhw barrel.

Bb
Thinking about the 129 ABLR. Never too fast, yet still has the needed velocity out beyond way far enough, as you said, like (850) . For next year, at the rate I'm moving.
Results

said it once and I'll say it again....

That is a damn respectable buck your son took there Skeen...

I see 'em like that here in Oregon, out of town...but normally shots need to be made quick, because two to three seconds, they are gone... downhill, or just disappear digitally into brush so thick, even the snakes have to slow thru it...

hope you son, mounts that one...it sure is a wall hanger, in my book..
Well now that I finally have winter routine setting in, especially with this covid crap, and living like 3 miles from the range...

I've got time to play with the Grendel over the next 3 or 4 months...

Since there are applications for the 300 Blackout, I am going to do some testing on the Grendel in that type of service,
with the 160 gr RN, that I've picked up a couple of boxes of....

Powders I'll probably test after working with the 140 Speers, W 748, AR Comp and 2015 BR....

from times past working with 6.5 x 55 Swede and the old 160s, I know that leaving the Muzzle in the 1800 to 2000 or 2100 fps range, they are still a very viable deer round, in spots like heavy brush, or places like good old northern MN or No Wisconsin swamps...

also have found out with the two sets of dies I've picked up for the Grendel, they will reform 7.62 x 39 brass to be able to be useful in the Ruger Bolt Action Grendel... Put it into what I call 30/30 type of service parameters....

Got about 500 bullets coming, 85 Gr HPs from Sierra....with those and some 100 grainers I have, also plan on playing to see how it does with those bullet weights and Blue Dot....I operates real well, with bullets in the 1800 to 2400 fps MV range...

If I can get a moderator under Biden and Harris still, this is the rifle I can see a lot of use available for....
I'm surprised there haven't been more guys trying the 100 gr. TTSX in their grendels. you should be able to get them 2900+/- fps. they penetrate like nobodies business, and they are longer than most lead core 120 gr. pills.
100 grainers of a lot of the manufacturers are often overlooked for hunting deer etc...

the do better than people normally give them credit for

the 100 TTSX is definitely the pick of the litter
I still have a few I purchased for my previous Grendel, a CZ. Don’t recall the details, but I ended up with 129gr ABLRs in that one before it left here. Might work up a couple in my Mini, but the GDs are easy and cheap. Gonna tote it until I get the Earn-a-Buck doe that puts me back in the buck business. Have a couple/three hundred ABLRs too.
A LH Grendel would be very welcome at my house for the boys to use. Unfortunately, I'm too poor or cheap to come up with one as I've never seen a factory option. For the distances we shoot on our place, I'd likely load the 100gr Partition.
Was really looking forward to the Barrett Fieldcraft coming out in 6.5 Grendel would love one for everything in western NY
My 12 year old got her personal best last weekend using the 6.5 grendel. 18" ballistic advantage barrel and 120 grain corelokt load from druid hill armory. I think the smile says it all.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the Ballistic Advantage Barrel? I have a couple of there 223 and 300 Blackouts and they shoot great.I am heavily invested in the 6.8 SPC between powder ,bullets and brass and 3 rifles...well 2 rifles and 1 that the Milwaukee Police Department has that I HOPE to get back 1 day. But quite a few buddies of mine that I hog hunt with are buying 6.5 Grendels. I may have to get one just to play with.It might be a bolt for my Grandkids to use.
Thanks,
Bill

quote=coryj]I put together an AR 15 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel for the kids to hunt deer with.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the Ballistic Advantage Barrel? I have a couple of there 223 and 300 Blackouts and they shoot great.I am heavily invested in the 6.8 SPC between powder ,bullets and brass and 3 rifles...well 2 rifles and 1 that the Milwaukee Police Department has that I HOPE to get back 1 day. But quite a few buddies of mine that I hog hunt with are buying 6.5 Grendels. I may have to get one just to play with.It might be a bolt for my Grandkids to use.
Thanks,
Bill

quote=coryj]I put together an AR 15 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel for the kids to hunt deer with.

[/quote]

The BA barrel has been pretty accurate for my needs. Sub-MOA with Hornady black, MOA +/- with federal fusion, but it hates Hornady SSTs. I started shooting some druid hill armory ammo recently, their 120 grain corelokt load and it was right around MOA with just a rolled up sweatshirt for a front rest off a bench. Haven't really given that load a fair shake with a solid rest.
Thank you Coryj for the info.
My 12 year old got her personal best last weekend using the 6.5 grendel. 18" ballistic advantage barrel and 120 grain corelokt load from druid hill armory. I think the smile says it all.

Good for her! And, yes, you're correct; the smile says it all. smile

Attached picture Capture (1).JPG
Kudos to the daughter!

Nice buck.
Purely anecdotal, but we are 0-1 with the 6.5 Grendel.

I picked up a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel in a chassis stock for my 12 yr old to hunt with, and he's been shooting 120gr Federal Fusions. He had a shot at his first deer last night (a very good buck), a perfect broadside shot at around 75-100 yards. I was in the stand with him, watching through binoculars when he shot. The shot knocked the buck down, he got up and stumbled again, and then flopped into the tree line. We got down, expecting to find him just inside the woods, but all we found was some hair and a blood trail. Ended up waiting about 25-35 minutes, and tracked blood for almost 3 hours last night and well over 400 yards. I've never tracked blood this far and never found a deer, it was definitely odd. Went back this morning, and never could find any more blood. Looked through the woods for a couple more hours, and never found a thing. I considered getting a tracking dog, but there was no way the deer was still on our property.

Not sure what to think at this point, but we may be moving up to a Featherweight in 6.5x55 with 140gr bullets. I'm still not 100% sure where he hit the deer, so it may not be fair to completely blame the Grendel, but it has me a little concerned.
Originally Posted by Jason280

I picked up a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel in a chassis stock for my 12 yr old to hunt with, and he's been shooting 120gr Federal Fusions. He had a shot at his first deer last night (a very good buck), a perfect broadside shot at around 75-100 yards. I was in the stand with him, watching through binoculars when he shot. The shot knocked the buck down, he got up and stumbled again, and then flopped into the tree line. We got down, expecting to find him just inside the woods, but all we found was some hair and a blood trail. Ended up waiting about 25-35 minutes, and tracked blood for almost 3 hours last night and well over 400 yards. I've never tracked blood this far and never found a deer, it was definitely odd. Went back this morning, and never could find any more blood. Looked through the woods for a couple more hours, and never found a thing. I considered getting a tracking dog, but there was no way the deer was still on our property.

Not sure what to think at this point, but we may be moving up to a Featherweight in 6.5x55 with 140gr bullets. I'm still not 100% sure where he hit the deer, so it may not be fair to completely blame the Grendel, but it has me a little concerned.

Location of the hit - is all that matters. A 6.5mm 120 Fushion in the vitals should have killed that deer...

Sweet! Congrats to the proud dad, and your daughter...

That is a nice central Virginia Buck....

I'd like to come back home one season, and hunt in VA and over into WVa....

From there but never had gotten to hunt there.. and have seen some huge bucks...

Just wish Virginia was still the Virginia I left to go to College out of state...
Jason,

Before you give up on the Grendal for the Swede ( I shoot both calibers)...

I handload my ammo... My Grendel had its first season... I took one, and took another kid of a family friend out, who borrowed my Grendel ( Ruger American Predator)...

I loaded a 140 grain Speer, with 29.5 grains of W 748.... 2400 fps MV from a 22 inch barrel...
The Swede with load of a 140 gr bullet meeting military specs, is about the same speed range, depending upon powder... between 2400 to 2500 fps MV...

My deer dropped at the shot.. DRT...

His took a shot, just as he turned, chasing a doe hit between the rib and left rear hip... but the way it had turned just as it got hit,
the bullet went up thru the chest cavity, thru the heart along with a right lung and out the right shoulder.. he did a button hook, and flopped over, probably 30 yds total, but he did the button hook, because he was losing blood fast
Originally Posted by Jason280

My guess is that the shot hit just below the spine, too far forward to get the aorta. I made a hit like that a couple of weeks ago with my crossbow. I got the deer, but had a long, difficult tracking job, in the wrong direction of course. By the time I caught up with him, he was almost done. In that case, a sharp arrow might be better than a bullet, because the bleeding doesn’t stop as quickly. Have tracked a couple for others hit like that with rifles, and the blood just quits. Your son’s deer will probably recover if the yotes don’t get him. I killed one in 2016 hit like that the year before with an expandable crossbow head that didn’t open. He was fat and fine, but the head and a piece of shaft was embedded in him, and the point was poking his hide on the far side. No infection, just a bit of scarring. The only outward sign he’d been wounded was the small, freaky, multi-point rack he had.
Grendel is a good round. 100 Barnes, NBT, and any cup core 120-140 will work fine though I believe 120 may give the most useful trajectory.

Too bad they never Saami’d a 6.5BR for a mini action. A BR can run 2700-2800 with 120’s.

The 120 corelokts are deadly having used them in Swedes dumping a few deer. They will not bugholes like the 120 NBT which would be my go to at these speeds. The tipped 130 Sierra would also be interesting.

Hard to find a bad 6.5 hunting bullet.
Results

My son's Larue Grendel scores again on a last day Kansas late season rifle buck! smile

75 yard neck shot, DRT.

My son's Larue Grendel scores again on a last day Kansas late season rifle buck! smile

75 yard neck shot, DRT.

[/quote]

Tell him congratulations! That’s a fine buck, I know y’all are proud.
peak98

75 yard neck shot, DRT.

[/quote]

Tell him congratulations! That’s a fine buck, I know y’all are proud.
peak98
© 24hourcampfire