Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PA_Probe
I have one as a Howa Mini lightweight profile for my 10yr old son for whitetail. I use XBR8208 and Nosler BT in 100 and 120gr. He didn’t get to shoot one with it yet but I did myself. Neck shot at 50yrds with the 100gr BT dropped it in its tracks and bullet exploded when it hit the neck bones. Did the job but worry about it if he hits the shoulder blade. I loaded up some 120 Barnes TTSX for this year. Either way the recoil is barely noticeable which is key for kids just starting out.

My daughter's deer was hit in the high shoulder. Exit wound was 2 fist size, but it went through both shoulders. Sons deer was lung shot and exit was about the size of a nickel with very good lung damage.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by weagle
1st deer with the cut down (16 1/4" barrel) Howa Mini: 85yds, 123gr SST at 2427fps. High shoulder shot, never took a step.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Exit about golf ball size, I could not be happier with the performance of this little gun.

Alright!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by weagle
1st deer with the cut down (16 1/4" barrel) Howa Mini: 85yds, 123gr SST at 2427fps. High shoulder shot, never took a step.

Exit about golf ball size, I could not be happier with the performance of this little gun.

Alright!

I've been seeing pics of deer being taken with the 6.5 Grendal, all over the net here...

One thing you commonly see, is the statement of a golf ball or a 50 cent sized exit hole.....
doesn't seem to matter what the bullet weight was....

even local guy here had the same thing happen, at 300 yds... 129 SP Hornady...golf ball sized exit hole...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Possibly it’s due to a fortuitous combination of enough velocity to fully expand, but not ‘splode the c&c bullets most use, plus enough bullet weight to carry them on through. Mule Deer and some others have commented on how “ordinary” or “deer” bullets perform well when kept to sane speeds. The Grendel starts them out well within that window, and maintains enough speed to ensure expansion to some surprising distances. It also helps I suspect, when you use bullets like the 129gr ABLR and Speer 120gr GD. The ABLR is supposed to expand down to 1300fps, and the Grendel can deliver it at that speed waayyyyy out there.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
125gr Nosler partitions shoot great out of my 18" PSA barrel.
1st kill !
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just swapped the 4.5-14 E1 on my Howa for a Weaver K6. Lost about 6oz and the balance seems improved. Had to remove the slip-on pad due to the scanty ER of the Weaver, but it still fits fine and passes the nose-bump test when worked from the shoulder.

No issues with the Burris, just wanted it for something that’s on its way here. I do wish they offered a standard duplex, but that ship has sailed. I’m totally satisfied with the passel of Philippine Burris scopes I’ve picked up over the last year.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Shot a 100 # ish pig at 220 yards today with my Howa. Picked up a couple of boxes of the old factory 123gr Amax last year. Quartering away - bullet entered back middle and exit opposite front shoulder. Went a couple yards. Not sure I connected with the others I took running shots at. Hate wasting those Amax.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Glad I read this I thought 140s would be too much
Sounds like they do just fine
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son's LaRue 6.5 Grendel
Results

The boy's Grendel kills again. smile
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not deer related, but the Grendel gets it done on hogs.

https://youtu.be/KGmrzBW09hQ

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run 8208xbr in mine too. 2500fpswith a 123 amax from an 18" bhw barrel.

Bb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thinking about the 129 ABLR. Never too fast, yet still has the needed velocity out beyond way far enough, as you said, like (850) . For next year, at the rate I'm moving.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My son's LaRue 6.5 Grendel
Results

The boy's Grendel kills again. smile
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

said it once and I'll say it again....

That is a damn respectable buck your son took there Skeen...

I see 'em like that here in Oregon, out of town...but normally shots need to be made quick, because two to three seconds, they are gone... downhill, or just disappear digitally into brush so thick, even the snakes have to slow thru it...

hope you son, mounts that one...it sure is a wall hanger, in my book..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well now that I finally have winter routine setting in, especially with this covid crap, and living like 3 miles from the range...

I've got time to play with the Grendel over the next 3 or 4 months...

Since there are applications for the 300 Blackout, I am going to do some testing on the Grendel in that type of service,
with the 160 gr RN, that I've picked up a couple of boxes of....

Powders I'll probably test after working with the 140 Speers, W 748, AR Comp and 2015 BR....

from times past working with 6.5 x 55 Swede and the old 160s, I know that leaving the Muzzle in the 1800 to 2000 or 2100 fps range, they are still a very viable deer round, in spots like heavy brush, or places like good old northern MN or No Wisconsin swamps...

also have found out with the two sets of dies I've picked up for the Grendel, they will reform 7.62 x 39 brass to be able to be useful in the Ruger Bolt Action Grendel... Put it into what I call 30/30 type of service parameters....

Got about 500 bullets coming, 85 Gr HPs from Sierra....with those and some 100 grainers I have, also plan on playing to see how it does with those bullet weights and Blue Dot....I operates real well, with bullets in the 1800 to 2400 fps MV range...

If I can get a moderator under Biden and Harris still, this is the rifle I can see a lot of use available for....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm surprised there haven't been more guys trying the 100 gr. TTSX in their grendels. you should be able to get them 2900+/- fps. they penetrate like nobodies business, and they are longer than most lead core 120 gr. pills.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
100 grainers of a lot of the manufacturers are often overlooked for hunting deer etc...

the do better than people normally give them credit for

the 100 TTSX is definitely the pick of the litter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I still have a few I purchased for my previous Grendel, a CZ. Don’t recall the details, but I ended up with 129gr ABLRs in that one before it left here. Might work up a couple in my Mini, but the GDs are easy and cheap. Gonna tote it until I get the Earn-a-Buck doe that puts me back in the buck business. Have a couple/three hundred ABLRs too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A LH Grendel would be very welcome at my house for the boys to use. Unfortunately, I'm too poor or cheap to come up with one as I've never seen a factory option. For the distances we shoot on our place, I'd likely load the 100gr Partition.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Was really looking forward to the Barrett Fieldcraft coming out in 6.5 Grendel would love one for everything in western NY

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 12 year old got her personal best last weekend using the 6.5 grendel. 18" ballistic advantage barrel and 120 grain corelokt load from druid hill armory. I think the smile says it all.

Attached Images
Capture.JPG (63.52 KB, 136 downloads)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.