Home
Posted By: iunderpressure JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20
I had a Nosler M48 Patriot/Liberty rebored from 308 win to 358 win, but it shoots horrible with flyers and completely unpredictable. When Jess sent the rifle back it had a little note saying it was test fired with Hornady ammo.

I recrowned the barrel. Didn’t help. Looking down the barrel from the muzzle, it looks like the edge of the rifling has a step in areas. It starts and stops. It also has chips along the edges of the rifling.

I tried to get pictures, but they aren’t the best. Feel like I took a good rifle and trashed it. I feel there is no way around having it rebarreled.
Posted By: blairvt Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20
Did you give him a chance to make it right?
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20
No, I guess my thinking is what can he do? He can't put material back. If I shipped it back, I would add to the losses. The rifling looks like crap.
Posted By: AKduck Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20
Talk to JES.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20

Always go back to your smith with your concerns, and give them a chance to answer / and or make it right... JES should fix you up if it’s wrong.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/15/20
There’s lots of info here on JES services along with results. They’ve been mostly good. It seems like it depends on what you start with as far as barrel and rifling yielding a perfect outcome on the rebore. I’d be unhappy too if wouldn’t shoot.
Posted By: akmtnrunner Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Yeah, talk with JES about it.

One other cause could also simply be the fact that a thinner wall barrel will suffer more from harmonics. I know that is the case with my T3x that I had JES make into a 338. How I support the fore end makes a big difference.
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
The rifling doesn’t look factory. It’s rough. I see the normal tool marks from it looks like drilling out the bore and some parallel marks following the rifling. Doesn’t bother me. Not expecting a perfect new barrel, but the rough edge on the lands in the rifling is what jumps out at me. I don’t know if it’s because of the stainless or a dull cutting tool, but the edge of the lands has chips/gouges and in some places it appears stepped, like it wasn’t cut all the way to the groove depth.

This is the 3 groove.
Posted By: GeoW Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Are you using your borescope?
Posted By: weagle Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Seems odd. Flyers? Unpredictable? Could be bedding issues, optics, mounts, ammo, trigger control etc.
Posted By: EdM Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Rocket science here...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
I just had a pre-64 .243 bored to .358 Win.

It fouled pretty bad, cleaned it and used DBC. Fouling has gotten less and less, getting easier to clean with every shoot and clean cycle.

Thru the Hawkeye, I can see where his rifling cutter chattered a bit in a few places, some tool marks from drilling.

But, very smooth pass thru with a tight patch, bore feels very uniform. I can see a few areas where voids in the metal showed up, which can’t be avoided.

But, with select loads it’s sub MOA. Shoots MOA with others, a few not as good. More good than bad.

Call him. I hear lots of good reports, first bad one yet. His price and turn around are great.

DF
Posted By: mathman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
I wonder if he's not taking his time and taking a deep cut with each pass. The cut rifling barrel makers all mention how little metal they take per pass down each groove. This would seem incompatible with fast turn around times.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Are you using your borescope?

No, I wish I had one. I’m looking down the barrel and all the “issues” are within a few inches of the muzzle. I did just place an order for a cheap borescope.
Originally Posted by weagle
Seems odd. Flyers? Unpredictable? Could be bedding issues, optics, mounts, ammo, trigger control etc.

I’m not new to this. It’s this rifle. Not saying I’m not a bone head and something didn’t slip through, but before posting anything, I went through this rifle several times over several months. I would get aggravated and come back to it.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
How long is the barrel? Could you chop off a couple inches and try that?

What did Jesse say about it?
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I hear lots of good reports, first bad one yet. His price and turn around are great.

DF

This is why I went with him. The only complaining that I heard was sometimes with the way he stamps barrels.

I was happy with how he stamped my barrel. He just stamped a 5 over the 0 to make 358.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
How long is the barrel? Could you chop off a couple inches and try that?

What did Jesse say about it?

I’m pretty short at around 19” now.

I haven’t called him. I plan on doing it tomorrow. Just looking at it and thinking he’s a one man operation, I didn’t have any expectations.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your rifle.

Wish you the best.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Good luck.

It reminds me that there's nothing I could do with a 358 that I couldn't do with a 308, and there are a few things I could do better with the 308.
Posted By: Teeder Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
Good luck.

It reminds me that there's nothing I could do with a 358 that I couldn't do with a 308, and there are a few things I could do better with the 308.

I have a perfectly good .308 that I bought with the intention of going .358, but this is where I keep coming back to. Plus the factory ammo availability, if needed.
Originally Posted by iunderpressure

I hear lots of good reports, first bad one yet. His price and turn around are great.

DF

This is why I went with him. The only complaining that I heard was sometimes with the way he stamps barrels.

I was happy with how he stamped my barrel. He just stamped a 5 over the 0 to make 358.

He sent a note that he'd stamped the bottom of my barrel, didn't mess up the factory stamp.

So, the Win barrel still says .243. On the bottom, it's stamped .358 1-12, designating round and twist.

I think a very uniform and consistent bore contributes to accuracy. Even if the rifling isn't that pretty, a uniform bore is critical, having seen barrels that weren't. Tight spots, loose spots, they generally don't shoot very well. I had a Kimber barrel like that, replaced it.

DBC helps with fouling. Those barrels smooth up over time with use.

I don't think he could turn them out as fast as he does and at his price point, making them all look like Kreigers...

As far as .308 vs. .358. I have both, the .358 is more fun for a Loony. You can shoot .357 revolver bullets. I have three scopes I'm mounting for different classes of ammo. A Leupold VX-3i 3-9x40 CDS for 225 NPT, NAB, and SGK. With the CDS, I'll have an effective round out to 300 yds or so. A Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 will be set up for the 200 gr. Horn FTX, another scope for 158 gr. JHP's.

DF
"As far as .308 vs. .358. I have both, the .358 is more fun for a Loony. You can shoot .357 revolver bullets. I have three scopes I'm mounting for different classes of ammo. A Leupold VX-3i 3-9x40 CDS for 225 NPT, NAB, and SGK. With the CDS, I'll have an effective round out to 300 yds or so. A Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 will be set up for the 200 gr. Horn FTX, another scope for 158 gr. JHP's."

That's way too much mucking around for me these days. If I want to shoot .357 bullets, I'll grab my Marlin or Ruger 77.
My rifle looney'ism is waning.
Originally Posted by Teeder
That's way too much mucking around for me these days. If I want to shoot .357 bullets, I'll grab my Marlin or Ruger 77.
My rifle looney'ism is waning.

Careful, there... grin

DF
laugh
Posted By: pacecars Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
He called me back the other day after I left a message about a rebore I want done. It took a couple days for him to return the call as he said he is pretty busy so you might want to call as soon as you can and leave a message
So, I found SU35's thread https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14651307/1 and this looks like what I'm seeing down the barrel. I don't think anything was done wrong, but I don't know that I would do a rebore again.

Today, I scrubbed and scrubbed on the bore getting it as clean as possible. I brushed the crap out of it. I don't use brushes very often in general.

I mounted a scope on higher than I like rings. It's what I had lying around.

Then, I went out and shot 10 handloads using Barnes TTSX bullets, one to find paper, and 3 - 3 round groups. I don't have any factory 358. I was shooting around 2" - 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

When I came in to start cleaning, the muzzle end of the barrel is holding carbon really bad as seen from the muzzle end. I don't have a borescope, so this may be going on in more of the barrel.

I thought I could try cutting more off, but I don't know that I want a 16" barrel. I don't know if it's an optical illusion (I'm holding the rifle up to a light and looking down the barrel) or what, but the main "problem" areas look like they are near the muzzle.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
I had a 700 35 Whelen that copper fouled terribly. The 1st 5 or 6 shots were not bad on target but it was downhill from there with lots of Sweet's in between range sessions. I think it took about 15 or 20 rounds total with the NECO firelapping kit to smooth it out. The throat advanced about .015" but the bore is a lot smoother & fouls very little now. Accuracy is better than before lapping. David Tubb also makes fire lapping kits with ready made abrasive bullets for about $35. It might be worth a shot... or 10 depending what JES says.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
I had JES Rebore a .270 to .35 Whelen. Overall I’m happy, but with some caveats.

My directions as to how I wanted the barrel restamped were not followed, so there is som chipped up Cerakote. Oh well.

At first the barrel copper fouled like crazy. Accuracy was okay. I loaded up a couple boxes of Speer .358 bullets I bought on sale during a rebate using a bunch of free to me once fired .30-06 brass I turned into .35 Whelen.

Around 250 rounds through the barrel something changed. Several different loads started shooting tighter. Barrel shows less copper fouling.

I’m not an expert, but I assume the recut barrel needed sone shooting and cleaning to smooth out some rough spots.

My rifle is a good enough shooter that when I’m in the field and put the scope on an animal the limiting factor in accuracy is me.

I’ll be sending more figures to JES, but like my .35 Whelen, the base rifle is going to be a pawn shop rescue.
So, I found SU35's thread https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14651307/1 and this looks like what I'm seeing down the barrel. I don't think anything was done wrong, but I don't know that I would do a rebore again.

Today, I scrubbed and scrubbed on the bore getting it as clean as possible. I brushed the crap out of it. I don't use brushes very often in general.

I mounted a scope on higher than I like rings. It's what I had lying around.

Then, I went out and shot 10 handloads using Barnes TTSX bullets, one to find paper, and 3 - 3 round groups. I don't have any factory 358. I was shooting around 2" - 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

When I came in to start cleaning, the muzzle end of the barrel is holding carbon really bad as seen from the muzzle end. I don't have a borescope, so this may be going on in more of the barrel.

I thought I could try cutting more off, but I don't know that I want a 16" barrel. I don't know if it's an optical illusion (I'm holding the rifle up to a light and looking down the barrel) or what, but the main "problem" areas look like they are near the muzzle.

I’d do two things before I started cutting off barrel.

First, call JES and see what he has to say.

Second, get some cheap 158 gr .357 bullets and load them up. https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c...liber_357-358_dia/358_Winchester_158.pdf

Put a hundred down the barrel. See if it cleans easier as you shoot. Try sone more of your hunting load to see if the groups improve.
This is how my JES rebored .35 Whelen is shooting after a couple hundred rounds down the barrel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Starman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Looking at the price of say a custom McGowen,
I don't know why some folks gamble their money
on reboring a factory barrel.
Posted By: TX35W Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
I've owned several JES rebores and aside from the stamping issue on one, they all shoot lights out. They were all on non-stainless barrels. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, at all. The 35 Whelen he did for me shoots like Tannhausers rifle above.
Originally Posted by Starman
Looking at the price of say a custom McGowen,
I don't know why some folks gamble their money
on reboring a factory barrel.

How much is a custom McGowan barrel plus installation?

I doubt the final price is anywhere close to what I paid for a JES rebore. A rebore is a good option for the guy who wants a hunting accurate rifle.
I’d be curious to know how many different loads have been down the tube post rebore? From reading, it’s not clear exactly what loads have been tried.

If the barrel does t like one particular handload, then I’d think the concern is premature.

I still think it needs sone rounds through it (.358 Win is great because you can shoot cheap pistol bullets) and then try a couple different bullets.
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

I doubt the final price is anywhere close to what I paid for a JES rebore...

Go to McGowen site and select your desired
specs and it will show total $.

I doubt the final price is anywhere close to what I paid for a JES rebore...

Go to McGowen site and select your desired
specs and it will show total $.

At a quick look, after I bought the barrel like I wanted, had it Cerakote, sights mounted and it all cerakoted I’m guessing I’m in around close to 3 rebore s, maybe more.

I don’t need the panache of a McGowan when my rebored rifle dies everything I want.
Whatever is good for you, but that don't
mean it applies across the board /to everyone.
Posted By: moosemike Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Good luck.

Yup
I’d be curious to know how many different loads have been down the tube post rebore? From reading, it’s not clear exactly what loads have been tried.

There isn’t much out there in factory 358. I’ve reloaded for years and reload for several calibers. Usually you can find something pretty close. Then, fine tune it.

I’ve tried barnes, speer, sierra, and nosler. I’ve used load data from magazines and manuals. The m48 magazine is relatively short compared to say a Ruger’s, so that can limit seat depths.

There isn’t much out there in factory 358. I’ve reloaded for years and reload for several calibers. Usually you can find something pretty close. Then, fine tune it.

I’ve tried barnes, speer, sierra, and nosler. I’ve used load data from magazines and manuals. The m48 magazine is relatively short compared to say a Ruger’s, so that can limit seat depths.

Exactly why I'd rather have a 308
Posted By: Tejano Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
Call JES see what he says or if he recommends going over it again with a sort of lapping cut.
Bore Scope see if it is the cutting or inherent barrel voids. Send photos to JES. See if it is localized at the muzzle.
Consider the Tubbs Final Finish it could help.
How about a .375 or 9.3-08?
Maybe try DBC see if it does anything, but this is more for fouling than accuracy.
If mostly at the muzzle try cutting back an inch or two and testing.
Look for a take off barrel and see if JES will rebore it for a reduced price or free. Keep in mind if the problem is voids it wasn't JES fault at all.
All the suggested screwing around in time/money
to 'try and (hopefully) get things right'..after re-bore... 😂

So for this particular rifle, was it just a single Barnes load or have you tried a couple of different bullets/loads?

That could be an issue with certain bullets. I just got off the phone with a Nosler tech, asking why they didn't have 200 NAB load data for the .358 Win. He said that bullet ended up with a COAL beyond SAAMI, so they didn't work up loads.

My pre-64 JES bored .358 has plenty of mag room and plenty of throat for about any bullet. A 12 twist should be good for heavies, but this one seems to like lighter bullets. I'll start with TAC and work up loads for the 200 NAB.

To me, the solution to a JES bored gun, as pointed out by others, is to shoot it a bunch. That tends to smooth it out. Mine cleans easier and seem to be settling down after less than a hundred rounds. With a few sub MOA loads already, I think I'll have more as I load more and shoot more. And to the OP, I did initially have some 2" and 3" loads with lots of fouling.

Stay with it, don't give up. It may end up suprising you.

DF
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/16/20
For phucqk's sake.
Several years ago I had JES rebore a 30-06 to 35 Whelen. I couldn't find any 200 grain load it liked but it did shoot Remington 250 grains really well. In the end I don't believe the gun was any better for any animal in any situation than when it was a 30-06. It just kicked more is all.
Posted By: Dinny Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/17/20
Yesterday I killed a bear at 265yds with one shot from one of my many JES rebores. This particular .358 required nearly 200 rounds down the tube until accuracy improved and fouling reduced.

Wayne York charges about $100 more than JES for rebores. He made a barrel lapping machine that polishes the machining marks smooth. Turnaround time is 3-4 months.

He may be able to smooth it out faster than shooting and cleaning it yourself.

As for cleaning, I have found aggressive copper cleaners to be necessary for cleaning JES rebores until they smooth out.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: beretzs Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/17/20
I have had him do three rifles for me and will send him a 4th pretty quick.

1. M70 338 Win SS Classic I rebored and rechambered to 35 Newton. Rifle shot amazing but once the barrel was chopped so you couldn't see the BOSS numbers it was 20", but the gun shot like crazy

2. M70 P64 300 Wby to a 375 Improved. This rifle also shoots 3 rounds under 1" with 260 Partitions, 250 TTSX's and Federal 300 PT's. I shot it about 25 times, cleaning every 5 down to steel. DBC'ed it and it's just a peach.

3. Ruger Hawkeye 280 to a 9.3x62. This rifle has shot 250 Accubonds with RL15 like it's meant to be a 22-250. Just not a darned issue at all with this one. I will try more bullets later on, but as DF mentioned, they take a bit of shooting to smooth out some, but they are accurate.

If the bore looks a bit rough, try the Tubb's bullets in it. It has saved a few rifles I was going to rebarrel. It lengthened the throat a touch, but accuracy has been easy after that treatment. The barrels were both later P64's with rougher rifling that fouled very badly. Same story as a JES rebore in my opinion. It's work the 35 bucks to try them out and follow the directions to the T and I'd bet a dollar you'll see a bunch of improvement.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Dinny
Yesterday I killed a bear at 265yds with one shot from one of my many JES rebores. This particular .358 required nearly 200 rounds down the tube until accuracy improved and fouling reduced.

Wayne York charges about $100 more than JES for rebores. He made a barrel lapping machine that polishes the machining marks smooth. Turnaround time is 3-4 months.

He may be able to smooth it out faster than shooting and cleaning it yourself.

As for cleaning, I have found aggressive copper cleaners to be necessary for cleaning JES rebores until they smooth out.

Thanks, Dinny

Patch Out and brushes worked for the first clenaing after I got it. It was fouled from his test firing.

Then, DBC and repeat shoot and clean cycles until it now cleans rather quickly. And accuracy improves with time and shooting, as many have already noted.

I'm sure Wayne's work will look better thru the bore scope initially. I can do a good bit of shooting for the difference.

DF
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/17/20
Yesterday, I ordered the Tubb Final Finish bullet set.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/18/20
With Teslong borescopes being about as cheap as a FinalFinish kit, makes sure you 'scope it before you start removing material, even if it's just a polish.
You really don't even have much idea what's really going on.
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Here are some quick pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bniuRh2ZUtCbhmAY8
I will get s video and add it later of the muzzle area. For the 4 inches near the muzzle, copper is really bad and the edge of the rifling looks rolled.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20

Tub’s kit will also work your throat deeper vs. hand lapping which if done well doesn’t move the throat forward.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Here are some quick pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bniuRh2ZUtCbhmAY8

Have you showed those to JES? It's obviously a crap quality job.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I agree. I wish I knew his email address. I don’t even know what to say to the guy.

More pictures and a video. Hopefully clearer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2CuRHLRxkvyxG5uu5

To me, these mess ups don’t appear to be anything wrong with the metal because several of the mess ups are at the same point down the barrel on two or three grooves/lands of the rifling, but I wouldn’t know the first thing to cutting a barrel myself.
Posted By: Dinny Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
You may have to print the pictures and mail them with a letter. I spoke to Wayne York about this. He does have an email address and he may be able to lap and salvage the barrel.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/
Posted By: jwp475 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Tub’s kit will also work your throat deeper vs. hand lapping which if done well doesn’t move the throat forward.

Tubbs final finish isn't going to move the throat any significant amount to matter
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20

JWP my point was the rifle should go back to JES to have them lap it for free...
The more the guy does to the rifle before it goes back to the smith ... doesn’t make a lot of sense so I was suggesting somewhat lightly that lapping would be better.

But it seems like sending it back to let JES fix it wasn’t the goal from the get go... (2nd OP post).
Posted By: mathman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Lapping for what I saw in the pics?

Look at the small, cross way striations on top of the lands. That's the kind of stuff for lapping, not those large gouges and pieces of mashed over steel.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Just refer Jess to this site - he comes here sometimes and can simply view the pics here.
I will be very surprised if he does not offer to fix this, even with a new barrel if required. I'd keep on shooting it until then. Try some cup and core bullets vs the barnes - a bit cheaper to get the smoothing process going.

Good luck with it.
Rex
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20

I agree. I wish I knew his email address. I don’t even know what to say to the guy.

To me, these mess ups don’t appear to be anything wrong with the metal because several of the mess ups are at the same point down the barrel on two or three grooves/lands of the rifling, but I wouldn’t know the first thing to cutting a barrel myself.

Here's what I'd say: "Hello, this is [underpressure]. Back on [date] you rebored a rifle to .358 Winchester for me [give a few details about the rifle]. After receiving the rifle back, I've been trying various loads and the results are not what I had anticipated. Looking through the barrel with my borescope I'm seeing some areas that are concerning to me. I understand a rebored barrel may not end up looking like a factory match barrel, but I think my barrel may have some issues above and beyond what's "normal" and I'd like to discuss this with you."
Posted By: TomM1 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20

Here's what I'd say: "Hello, this is [underpressure]. Back on [date] you rebored a rifle to .358 Winchester for me [give a few details about the rifle]. After receiving the rifle back, I've been trying various loads and the results are not what I had anticipated. Looking through the barrel with my borescope I'm seeing some areas that are concerning to me. I understand a rebored barrel may not end up looking like a factory match barrel, but I think my barrel may have some issues above and beyond what's "normal" and I'd like to discuss this with you."

Well done 👍
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/20/20
Bullet is going to come out of that barrel confused.
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Dinny
You may have to print the pictures and mail them with a letter. I spoke to Wayne York about this. He does have an email address and he may be able to lap and salvage the barrel.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

I emailed Wayne, and he emailed me back. He said galling is a frequent issue while trying to cut rifle certain stainless barrels. He doesn't think lapping wouldn't help correct the issues this barrel has, and a new barrel would be the best answer.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
I wouldn’t send Wayne York anything to rebore. He did fine on my sons 243 build but royally screwed up 2 rebores and refused to even look at them
Posted By: Dinny Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I wouldn’t send Wayne York anything to rebore. He did fine on my sons 243 build but royally screwed up 2 rebores and refused to even look at them

Well if there wasn't a post made that proves we're all human, this one does.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Posted this last sunday , still haven't taken it up with JES just bad mouthing his work on the internet then expect him to fix it? You are a real piece of work.
Mb
Posted By: Dinny Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Posted this last sunday , still haven't taken it up with JES just bad mouthing his work on the internet then expect him to fix it? You are a real piece of work.
Mb

I bet you're the life of every party you attend...
Posted By: GeoW Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Mb

This^
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by mathman
Lapping for what I saw in the pics?

Look at the small, cross way striations on top of the lands. That's the kind of stuff for lapping, not those large gouges and pieces of mashed over steel.

JES cuts rifling so he may be able to clean it up and then lap.....but not if you don’t call him and let him know
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Mb

I wonder how it it that we can know what the OP's interactions with JES have or have not been in the time since he first posted his issue. Maybe they are already working together to solve the problem? I'd give both of them the benefit of the doubt for now. Though if Jess makes it right somehow I do think the OP needs to come back and report that, so the thread doesn't end looking bad for JES.
I'll just wait for the final answer...

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: Tyrone Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
I think JES even says that some barrels won't rebore very well. Some barrel materials/fabrication methods aren't conducive to quality rebores.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
I always considered a rebore the roll of the dice. Some work, some don't and the ones that don't aren't always the fault of the one doing the work. It's just the nature of the beast.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Mb

I wonder how it it that we can know what the OP's interactions with JES have or have not been in the time since he first posted his issue. Maybe they are already working together to solve the problem? I'd give both of them the benefit of the doubt for now. Though if Jess makes it right somehow I do think the OP needs to come back and report that, so the thread doesn't end looking bad for JES.
I'll just wait for the final answer...

Cheers,
Rex

Agree.

Just common courtesy.

JES has a bunch of good reports. But all barrels won’t work as well as others. And you never know till it’s tried.

All can say, my .358 Win rebore shoots better than the pitted .243 Pre-64 Fwt I sent him.

It’s a bit finicky, but does shoot a few loads very well. I’ve just got to tweak’em, find the best one(s) and go from there.

And it is enjoyable Loony stuff, for sure.

DF
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/21/20
I agree with your assessment.

I always considered a rebore the roll of the dice. Some work, some don't and the ones that don't aren't always the fault of the one doing the work. It's just the nature of the beast.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/22/20

From all that I’ve read, I agree.

My one rebore job to date was fine by JES and it certainly shoots better now. I also sent in a pawn shop rescue, so my ceiling was high.

I’d personally think twice before sending in a perfectly fine rifle that had done value snd was a fine shooter.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/22/20

My one rebore job to date was fine by JES and it certainly shoots better now. I also sent in a pawn shop rescue, so my ceiling was high.

I’d personally think twice before sending in a perfectly fine rifle that had done value snd was a fine shooter.

I would never rebore a shooter. I didn’t; I wouldn’t.

But for one that’s pitted, needing a new barrel, rebore is an option.

DF
Posted By: Starman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/22/20

JES cuts rifling so he may be able to clean it up and then lap.....but not if you don’t call him and let him know

Does JES inspect the work they do before it leaves
the shop?

Whats it take to send a note with the barreled action explaining how the job turned out?
ie: why does the customer have to look through
the tube and find such 'surprises' , then have to
raise the issue with JES?
I understand Nosler 48 have PacNor barrels,
are they know to present problems in rebores?

Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/23/20
I've been following this thread and keep waiting to see where someone actually asked JES about it... if they haven't, that's weird. If they have, I wish they'd post the results.
Posted By: Tejano Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/23/20
I would not re-bore a Pac Nor unless it was shot out or damaged. Supposedly a button rifled barrel can add stress to the barrel, not as much as a hammer forged one but more than a cut rifled barrel.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/23/20
Under pressure,

I'd buy that rifle off you in a split second if you don't want it.

I'd run a 40 caliber bore snake through it, covered with lapping compound to tone-down those tooling marks.

Those tooling marks mean nothing.

15 minutes away from 1 inch groups........
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/23/20
Definitely get with JES. I have a Tikka that was rebored from a 270 to a 35 Whelen and it was having issues with factory ammo. I called him and left a message. He instructed me to send it to him.

A week or so later I received it back with a note advising he fixed it and shot three different brands of ammo through it. It now shoots sub moa groups with factory Barnes 200gr ttsx. I killed my first elk with it a couple months ago.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/23/20

I would never rebore a shooter. I didn’t; I wouldn’t.

But for one that’s pitted, needing a new barrel, rebore is an option.

DF

My thoughts as well. A rebore from 308 to 358, just because, is silly to me. If the barrel was toasted, nothing to lose.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
I've thought about trying a rebore but am leaning more and more towards remage these days.

Bb
Posted By: sidepass Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I think JES even says that some barrels won't rebore very well. Some barrel materials/fabrication methods aren't conducive to quality rebores.

Then I hope he declines the job.

i
Posted By: GeoW Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
OP, have you spoken with JES yet? Getting ready to throw the bullshit flag!
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Ill buy the fkn thing, polish the bore and take it winter caribou hunting. Come back on here and give it a stellar review.

24hourcrybabies: "where internet complaining is infinite and paper targets rule the roost"
Posted By: 79S Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ill buy the fkn thing, polish the bore and take it winter caribou hunting. Come back on here and give it a stellar review.

24hourcrybabies: "where internet complaining is infinite and paper targets rule the roost"

Calm down big money hustla I see that nat geo scratch burning a hole in your sweat pants pocket...
Posted By: mathman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Polish out what is in the pics?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
Mb

This^

For sure.
Originally Posted by 79S

Calm down big money hustla I see that nat geo scratch burning a hole in your sweat pants pocket...

Man, you know the 358 is my all time favorite cartridge. Can't leave that rifle to the vultures....
Can't kick ah dog when it's down.....
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20

Does JES inspect the work they do before it leaves
the shop?

Don't you think your expectations are a bit unrealistic?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by sidepass

i

How in the hell is he supposed to know until he tries?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
JES does a good job for what it is. He turns'em out fast at a good price.

I didn't expect my .358 Win rebore to look like a Brux thru the Hawkeye and it didn't.

One thing for sure, he bores an even and uniform barrel, which seems critical for good accuracy. His rifling may be a bit rough, probably cuts it faster with each pass than premium barrels makers would. But their barrels cost a bunch more. And, the voids/inclusions you sometimes see aren't his fault, nor do they affect accuracy that much if any, IMO.

Shooting smooths out the machining, DBC helps with fouling. The .358 Win isn't a match round to begin with, so MOA in a hunting weight rifle is about the best one should expect. Mine has gone 3/4 MOA with a few loads, MOA with several. It is more finicky than my Shilen barreled Creed, but so is about everything else.

It shoots better than the pitted .243 I sent him. I'm still working on loads and am enjoying this gun. But, I always did like the Pre-64 Fwt., still do. BTW, am sending the VX-3 back to Leupold today. It went bonkers, won't zero.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20

i

Good point.

But, I would think he knows which ones are at highest risk and would probably pass that info to his customer.

Then, it's the customer's call.

DF
The last guy who started a thread about tooling marks in a $250 rebore, later went on to shoot 3/4 groups after he gave it some time to break in. Anyone remember that thread a couple months back?

An anal paper puncher with an Amazon prime bore scope, Christ is that a force to be reckoned with.
Posted By: mathman Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
IIRC the tool marks in the earlier thread weren't nearly as bad or as extensive as those seen here.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14749236/1
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
All three of mine are good. I have two bored to 358 Winchester and one to 9.3X62. All good, all visually look good. I wouldn't put a bore scope down mine thought. I'm too happy with the way they shoot. Minute of meat. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: 79S Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by 79S

Man, you know the 358 is my all time favorite cartridge. Can't leave that rifle to the vultures....
Can't kick ah dog when it's down.....

Lol.. that’s very true..
Posted By: moosemike Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20

i

He knows. He told me that Husqvarna barrels don't cut well because they're too hard
Posted By: EdM Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20

i

Good point.

But, I would think he knows which ones are at highest risk and would probably pass that info to his customer.

Then, it's the customer's call.

DF

Cliff LaBounty sure did.
Posted By: sidepass Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by moosemike

i

He knows. He told me that Husqvarna barrels don't cut well because they're too hard

Sounds like he knows which ones are problematic . If told a particular model was one he had issues with then the onus would be one me if I requested a re bore.
Posted By: weagle Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
I sent him an old Westernfield Sako L57 .243 about a week ago to be rebored to .358 win. I expect it back fairly soon and hopefully it will shoot as well as the 3 others he's done for me.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: deflave Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
This thread is funny.

LOL

Fo show. Fo show.
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Bullet is going to come out of that barrel confused.

LOL
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
I’m curious to hear if the OP has contacted JES? Not to stir the pot, just my own curiosity.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20
I’m curious to hear if the OP has contacted JES? Not to stir the pot, just my own curiosity.

^^^^^^this

Crazy talk.
Posted By: 79S Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/25/20

He’s still trying to figure out how to word the conversation.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/26/20
LOL
Posted By: cdb Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/26/20
It’s been suggested several times that the OP call JES. Until he speaks with JES I’m calling BS. Calling JES is the first thing he should have done.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by cdb
It’s been suggested several times that the OP call JES. Until he speaks with JES I’m calling BS. Calling JES is the first thing he should have done.

This is soooooo true.
Posted By: iunderpressure Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/27/20
I just heard back from Jesse. He said I could send it back to him, and he could try and clean it up.

I asked him if he cut one groove at a time, or if three grooves were cut at once. He responded that only one is cut at a time. That's what I thought, but I was asking because issues in the barrel usually came at the same point on all three grooves. I did learn he doesn't have a borescope or an email address.

My expectations were too high for sending in a perfectly good rifle that I wanted in 358 win. I was wanting to keep the look and everything of the factory rifle. I chose to do it because everything that I read was good about JES rebores. I even read where people were buying rifles just to have them rebored.

My rifle was completed quickly, but it was also a let down. The rifle is cerakoted. When I opened the returned box, the cerakote was scraped off the sides of the barrel on opposite sides as a result of a slip in a vise or wrench. I didn't have an issue with how he stamped the caliber. It bothers me how there was no mention of the cerakote damage. Just makes me feel that there isn't a lot of attention to detail. This goes back to the second line of this post. I should have sent it back right after I first got it returned to me, but I wasn't too impressed based on the rifle before me. I just keep thinking if I did this for a living. If I took the finish off of a guys rifle that was sent to me for bore work, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't sit well with me. People say but what do you expect for x amount of dollars. I expect a job to be done for the amount charged.

After cutting down the barrel myself trying to remove the worst of the rifling and with the cerakote damage, I'm not at all happy with the rifle. I know that's half my fault, but the more I deal with it, the more it aggravates me. I think I'm just going to rebarrel the rifle and start over. After I'm done, I will have thrown enough money away that I could have built a custom rifle.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/28/20
You did what to it? And now you are not happy with it, 1/2 of it being what you've done? Ok, guess that is halfway sensible.

Seems there used to be verbage on his website about potential things that can happen.... Don't see it there now. What a clusterfuuck.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by cdb

I'll loan you this one.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 79S Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/30/20
I just heard back from Jesse. He said I could send it back to him, and he could try and clean it up.

I asked him if he cut one groove at a time, or if three grooves were cut at once. He responded that only one is cut at a time. That's what I thought, but I was asking because issues in the barrel usually came at the same point on all three grooves. I did learn he doesn't have a borescope or an email address.

My expectations were too high for sending in a perfectly good rifle that I wanted in 358 win. I was wanting to keep the look and everything of the factory rifle. I chose to do it because everything that I read was good about JES rebores. I even read where people were buying rifles just to have them rebored.

My rifle was completed quickly, but it was also a let down. The rifle is cerakoted. When I opened the returned box, the cerakote was scraped off the sides of the barrel on opposite sides as a result of a slip in a vise or wrench. I didn't have an issue with how he stamped the caliber. It bothers me how there was no mention of the cerakote damage. Just makes me feel that there isn't a lot of attention to detail. This goes back to the second line of this post. I should have sent it back right after I first got it returned to me, but I wasn't too impressed based on the rifle before me. I just keep thinking if I did this for a living. If I took the finish off of a guys rifle that was sent to me for bore work, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't sit well with me. People say but what do you expect for x amount of dollars. I expect a job to be done for the amount charged.

After cutting down the barrel myself trying to remove the worst of the rifling and with the cerakote damage, I'm not at all happy with the rifle. I know that's half my fault, but the more I deal with it, the more it aggravates me. I think I'm just going to rebarrel the rifle and start over. After I'm done, I will have thrown enough money away that I could have built a custom rifle.

So you took a hacksaw too it before you heard back from him?
Posted By: 79S Re: JES Rebore Issues - 11/30/20
No, I guess my thinking is what can he do? He can't put material back. If I shipped it back, I would add to the losses. The rifling looks like crap.

At this point did you already take a hacksaw to it?
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/01/20
Had him take a Remington 700 sps 243, rebored to 358 and cut it to 18.5”. Shoots great, killed a whitetail with it yesterday. New favorite deer rifle.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/01/20
. I did learn he doesn't have a borescope or an email address.

JES doesn't have a borescope? That is just fascinating.
Posted By: Seafire Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/01/20
This is one of those threads, that has taught me to read the last page or two first....

it'll highlight how the rest of it started going by page three or so.
Posted By: GeoW Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/01/20
Or OP has an axe to grind.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
I have three rifles rebored by Jes. They all shoot very well.

Posted By: tankerjockey Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
And the 338-06.

Posted By: pabucktail Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
Based on what I've seen, the ratio of happy to unhappy JES customers seems to be about 1000:1.

The rifles he's done for me thus far shoot very well.
Posted By: mart Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
Based on what I've seen, the ratio of happy to unhappy JES customers seems to be about 1000:1.

That seems to be the case. The one seems to garner a lot more keyboard time than the 1000. He’s done one for me and three for a friend. All shot well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20

There are a lot of JES bored rifles out there. For sure the law of averages will catch him sooner or later, can't hit a home run every time at bat.

I would never send a shooter for a re-bore. I didn't and I won't.

The one JES rifle I have, posted earlier, is satisfactory, although the bore looks a bit rough thru the Hawkeye.

It shoots about as well as the typical .358 Win, which is not a target or a long range round. It is what it is..

A ,358 Win in a light hunting rifle that will consistently shoot 1 1/2" or better will do what it's designed to do. Mine has gone 3/4", which is pretty good.

It has smoothed out with shooting and I've heard that about those re-bores.

For the price and the turn around time, I can't bad mouth JES. I'm glad he's out there doing his thing.

DF
Posted By: pabucktail Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
With one exception, I don’t know if the ones I sent him were shooters or not. I needed a rifle to my specs so I just sent him donors. The .30-30 Marlin TK was a shooter, but I needed more power. It’s still a shooter, just as a .444 now.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
I think this thread offers a useful read for people considering a JES rebore.

A JES rebore can be a great option to obtain a decent shooting rifle in a medium bore cartridge, particularly when the rifle you are starting with has bore issues or is a mediocre shooter or maybe has a few cosmetic challenges.

If you want a custom rifle level end product with a perfect exterior and perfect pictures through your borescope, I'd consider a different option.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
I think this thread offers a useful read for people considering a JES rebore.

A JES rebore can be a great option to obtain a decent shooting rifle in a medium bore cartridge, particularly when the rifle you are starting with has bore issues or is a mediocre shooter or maybe has a few cosmetic challenges.

If you want a custom rifle level end product with a perfect exterior and perfect pictures through your borescope, I'd consider a different option.

Agree.

JES is a great $250 option for a rifle with a tired bore needing a second lease on life.

Can't compete with a $2,000 custom job. Shouldn't have to, wasn't intended to.

IMO.

DF
Posted By: flintlocke Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by mart

That seems to be the case. The one seems to garner a lot more keyboard time than the 1000. He’s done one for me and three for a friend. All shot well.

And as having been a barrel maker's flunky, I can say with a 100% confidence level, that no barrel can be bored and rifled to perfection if the original material the rifle barrel was not perfect. Sad but true, barrel materials will have pits, voids, inclusions, hard spots and soft spots. Perhaps more so nowadays if the steel is imported. You can't cook a gourmet meal with MRE's as the main ingredient.
Posted By: beretzs Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/03/20
My latest JES rebore shoots okay. I pulled number 5 and put the 6th back in.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...30_A7FF_8151A80E7F49_IMG_5648.HEIC[/img]

200 yards

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: GeoW Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/03/20
Thought about scaring up a tomato stake in 243, sending it to have bored to a 338 Fed or 358 Win. Wonder if finding a 243 or the like, shot out, by a premium barrel maker would be the way to go?

g
Posted By: prm Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/03/20
Anyone have a takeoff Kimber 84M barrel in any 308 based cartridge, 308 or smaller? I could use another 338 Fed barrel.
JES did a T3X barrel for me that shot quite well.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: JES Rebore Issues - 12/03/20
prm, PM sent.
© 24hourcampfire