Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lapping for what I saw in the pics?

Look at the small, cross way striations on top of the lands. That's the kind of stuff for lapping, not those large gouges and pieces of mashed over steel.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just refer Jess to this site - he comes here sometimes and can simply view the pics here.
I will be very surprised if he does not offer to fix this, even with a new barrel if required. I'd keep on shooting it until then. Try some cup and core bullets vs the barnes - a bit cheaper to get the smoothing process going.

Good luck with it.
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iunderpressure
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Have you showed those to JES? It's obviously a crap quality job.

I agree. I wish I knew his email address. I don’t even know what to say to the guy.

More pictures and a video. Hopefully clearer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2CuRHLRxkvyxG5uu5

To me, these mess ups don’t appear to be anything wrong with the metal because several of the mess ups are at the same point down the barrel on two or three grooves/lands of the rifling, but I wouldn’t know the first thing to cutting a barrel myself.

Here's what I'd say: "Hello, this is [underpressure]. Back on [date] you rebored a rifle to .358 Winchester for me [give a few details about the rifle]. After receiving the rifle back, I've been trying various loads and the results are not what I had anticipated. Looking through the barrel with my borescope I'm seeing some areas that are concerning to me. I understand a rebored barrel may not end up looking like a factory match barrel, but I think my barrel may have some issues above and beyond what's "normal" and I'd like to discuss this with you."

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Originally Posted by iunderpressure
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Have you showed those to JES? It's obviously a crap quality job.

I agree. I wish I knew his email address. I don’t even know what to say to the guy.

More pictures and a video. Hopefully clearer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2CuRHLRxkvyxG5uu5

To me, these mess ups don’t appear to be anything wrong with the metal because several of the mess ups are at the same point down the barrel on two or three grooves/lands of the rifling, but I wouldn’t know the first thing to cutting a barrel myself.

Here's what I'd say: "Hello, this is [underpressure]. Back on [date] you rebored a rifle to .358 Winchester for me [give a few details about the rifle]. After receiving the rifle back, I've been trying various loads and the results are not what I had anticipated. Looking through the barrel with my borescope I'm seeing some areas that are concerning to me. I understand a rebored barrel may not end up looking like a factory match barrel, but I think my barrel may have some issues above and beyond what's "normal" and I'd like to discuss this with you."

Well done 👍

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bullet is going to come out of that barrel confused.

IC B2

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Dinny
You may have to print the pictures and mail them with a letter. I spoke to Wayne York about this. He does have an email address and he may be able to lap and salvage the barrel.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

I emailed Wayne, and he emailed me back. He said galling is a frequent issue while trying to cut rifle certain stainless barrels. He doesn't think lapping wouldn't help correct the issues this barrel has, and a new barrel would be the best answer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn’t send Wayne York anything to rebore. He did fine on my sons 243 build but royally screwed up 2 rebores and refused to even look at them

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I wouldn’t send Wayne York anything to rebore. He did fine on my sons 243 build but royally screwed up 2 rebores and refused to even look at them

Well if there wasn't a post made that proves we're all human, this one does.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Posted this last sunday , still haven't taken it up with JES just bad mouthing his work on the internet then expect him to fix it? You are a real piece of work.
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Posted this last sunday , still haven't taken it up with JES just bad mouthing his work on the internet then expect him to fix it? You are a real piece of work.
Mb

I bet you're the life of every party you attend...

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mb

This^

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Lapping for what I saw in the pics?

Look at the small, cross way striations on top of the lands. That's the kind of stuff for lapping, not those large gouges and pieces of mashed over steel.

JES cuts rifling so he may be able to clean it up and then lap.....but not if you don’t call him and let him know

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mb

I wonder how it it that we can know what the OP's interactions with JES have or have not been in the time since he first posted his issue. Maybe they are already working together to solve the problem? I'd give both of them the benefit of the doubt for now. Though if Jess makes it right somehow I do think the OP needs to come back and report that, so the thread doesn't end looking bad for JES.
I'll just wait for the final answer...

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think JES even says that some barrels won't rebore very well. Some barrel materials/fabrication methods aren't conducive to quality rebores.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I always considered a rebore the roll of the dice. Some work, some don't and the ones that don't aren't always the fault of the one doing the work. It's just the nature of the beast.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Mb

I wonder how it it that we can know what the OP's interactions with JES have or have not been in the time since he first posted his issue. Maybe they are already working together to solve the problem? I'd give both of them the benefit of the doubt for now. Though if Jess makes it right somehow I do think the OP needs to come back and report that, so the thread doesn't end looking bad for JES.
I'll just wait for the final answer...

Cheers,
Rex

Agree.

Just common courtesy.

JES has a bunch of good reports. But all barrels won’t work as well as others. And you never know till it’s tried.

All can say, my .358 Win rebore shoots better than the pitted .243 Pre-64 Fwt I sent him.

It’s a bit finicky, but does shoot a few loads very well. I’ve just got to tweak’em, find the best one(s) and go from there.

And it is enjoyable Loony stuff, for sure.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I agree with your assessment.

Originally Posted by BtailHunter
I always considered a rebore the roll of the dice. Some work, some don't and the ones that don't aren't always the fault of the one doing the work. It's just the nature of the beast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

From all that I’ve read, I agree.

My one rebore job to date was fine by JES and it certainly shoots better now. I also sent in a pawn shop rescue, so my ceiling was high.

I’d personally think twice before sending in a perfectly fine rifle that had done value snd was a fine shooter.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

From all that I’ve read, I agree.

My one rebore job to date was fine by JES and it certainly shoots better now. I also sent in a pawn shop rescue, so my ceiling was high.

I’d personally think twice before sending in a perfectly fine rifle that had done value snd was a fine shooter.

I would never rebore a shooter. I didn’t; I wouldn’t.

But for one that’s pitted, needing a new barrel, rebore is an option.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

JES cuts rifling so he may be able to clean it up and then lap.....but not if you don’t call him and let him know

Does JES inspect the work they do before it leaves
the shop?

Whats it take to send a note with the barreled action explaining how the job turned out?
ie: why does the customer have to look through
the tube and find such 'surprises' , then have to
raise the issue with JES?
I understand Nosler 48 have PacNor barrels,
are they know to present problems in rebores?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,322 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.