Home
Posted By: RipSnort Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
What is your favorite bore cleaner that will remove copper and fouling? It's a plus if it doesn't stink up the house.

Thanks, RS
Wipeout foam
Posted By: skitish Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Sweets
Posted By: skitish Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Sweets but it will stink up the house.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Wipe out foam... used sweets 7.62 before that. I also like CLP foam but I don’t think it is as good on copper as the wipe out.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Boretech Eliminator, very little smell
Posted By: beretzs Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by mathman

Same here. Works like a champ for me. Plus it won’t hurt a bore.
Posted By: Milwroad Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
This has worked best for me and is my go to copper remover

Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover Bore Cleaning Solvent
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Barnes, but it is ammonia based not good to leave in very long. Montana copper killer works as well and is safe to leave for awhile, but it does stink..
Posted By: KenMi Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Wipe Out, but Patch Out is even better. It is also a strong rust inhibitor. You can soak a bore 3 days if you want with no harm.
If you need it cleaned even faster, they make an accelerator to use with it.
Bore tech eliminator is good .
Wipeout is better and easier !
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Does Boretech Eliminator affect stock finish (wood, but any i guess)? Potential selling point.

Love me some Wipe Out on neglected used guns and bad fouling MF’rs, but have to dance around to protect wood finishes. It’ll eat a hole in a blink. Use Montana Extreme for routine cleaning to avoid that. Good results, if stinky..
Posted By: woodson Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by KenMi
Wipe Out, but Patch Out is even better. It is also a strong rust inhibitor. You can soak a bore 3 days if you want with no harm.
If you need it cleaned even faster, they make an accelerator to use with it.

Yup
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21

This.
1. Wipeout Accelerator used with 2 or 3.
2.WIpeout Tactical Advantage
3.WIpeout Foam

4.KG suite of products.

KG1 is one of the best carbon removers on the market if not the best.

I have tried every product listed above on multiple rifles custom and factory and 1-4 beat all of them and it is not even close. I have not bought a bronze brush in a long time and don't even brush bores anymore(nylon brush) unless it is a factory magnum barrel.

I don't even use gun oil when I use products 1-3.

Posted By: dingo Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21

Pro-Shot copper solvent IV or Sweets 7.62.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Montana copper killer is fantastic, but youll want to use it outdoors
Posted By: Hudge Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Montana copper killer is fantastic, but youll want to use it outdoors

That has been my go to for a few years now. I got low recently and couldn’t find any locally so I went with patch out, no complaints.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Read a gun rag article from a couple of years ago that tested copper removers......

Basic multipurpose ballistol actually performed quite well
I'll put in another vote for Boretech Eliminator
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
Montana Extreme if I'm in a hurry, Wipe Out or Patch Out if I'm not.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/08/21
I'm really happy with Hoppes #9 synthetic
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Read a gun rag article from a couple of years ago that tested copper removers......

Works better then Hoppes 9 which is basically worthless. It is a good gun oil though.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Eliminator is good, I like Patch Out better, not as messy as the foam version.

Bad ones I add Accelerator. Works good.

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by skitish
Sweets

This for many years.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
I no longer care to babysit Sweets.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21

What do you mean by that statement? Just curious to what the issue is with Sweets. Thanks for any insight you may provide.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by moosemike

This topic has been beaten to death over and over at nausium the last few months..........
but obviously mikey has not tried anything else, Hoppes#9 is closer to skunk piss than copper cleaner laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
I just leave it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

What do you mean by that statement? Just curious to what the issue is with Sweets. Thanks for any insight you may provide.

It can result in an etched bore if left alone for very long. I prefer to use a cleaner that I can leave in place to work while I do something else.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Works better then Hoppes 9 which is basically worthless. It is a good gun oil though.

After cleaning for carbon, I use a nonamonia copper eliminate treatment and then follow up with ballistol treatment to make sure the copper eliminated is removed.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

It can result in an etched bore if left alone for very long. I prefer to use a cleaner that I can leave in place to work while I do something else.

How long is too long with that stuff?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
The label reads not to leave it in the bore for more than 15 minutes.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
What are y’all using to remove or kill the Sweets?
Patch out is great.
Used to use Sweets copper solvent but now Boretech Eliminator. I still use Sweets oil - it does remove some residual copper if there is any there.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Montana Xtreme
Patch Out
Patch Out with Accelerator. Although can’t tell if it really works faster with the accelerator.......
Posted By: moosemike Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by moosemike

This topic has been beaten to death over and over at nausium the last few months..........
but obviously mikey has not tried anything else, Hoppes#9 is closer to skunk piss than copper cleaner laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

And clearly you don't know what Hoppes 9 Synthetic is
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Patch out is great.

+1

Use with Accelerator if lots of fouling.

DF
Posted By: Joezone Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
What are y’all using to remove or kill the Sweets?

99% Isopropyl alcohol
I have Sweets. Haven’t used it in decades.

Better stuff available. I like one that can soak over night if needed. Don’t try that with Sweets.

DF
First, I minimize how much copper accumulates by applying DBC to my bores, and then when cleaning the bore is needed I use a shot of WO left overnight. If in a hurry I use Montana Extreme 50BMG.
Posted By: MOW Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
I use Wipeout foam, if I think there is still copper (which is not often) I will follow with Butches Bore Shine. I finish with CLP as a preservative.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/09/21
I start with 2 patches soaked with good old Hoppes #9 to get the major crud out then I run a patch of Wipe-out accelerator followed by wipe-out foam...I let it soak for an hour or so then I run 8 or 10 more patches of Hoppes #9 followed by a dry patch and then a patch soaked in Lucas gun oil or Birchwood Casey Barricade and My rifle barrel is clean as a whistle, all copper fouling is gone and I shoot Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively........Good luck....Hb
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I start with 2 patches soaked with good old Hoppes #9 to get the major crud out then I run a patch of Wipe-out accelerator followed by wipe-out foam...I let it soak for an hour or so then I run 8 or 10 more patches of Hoppes #9 followed by a dry patch and then a patch soaked in Lucas gun oil or Birchwood Casey Barricade and My rifle barrel is clean as a whistle, all copper fouling is gone and I shoot Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively........Good luck....Hb

When buying cleaning products it is wise to keep to one vendor. Sharpshootr stuff is a different animal then most of the other bore cleaners on the market. They might react with each other in not a good way.
Posted By: DBoston Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/11/21
The etching with ammonia based cleaners only occurs if you let it dry out on the metal, if kept wet there should be no etching. On really problem barrels I would plug the muzzle and fill the barrel with the copper remover, it can stay like this muzzle down over night with an oily patch in the chamber.

Lately except when applying DBC I have not needed anything more aggressive than JB bore cleaner with any good solvent. For routine cleaning I will be going with Wipe Out more and more as I use up the other products. With the de-coppering gun powders the need for the ammonia based products is practically nil.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/12/21
I don’t use JB’s or brushes after DBC. Wipe out is good, Patch Out isn’t as messy and IMO, is easier. I let Patch Out soak and usually after a few cycles it’s clean.

The more I shoot and clean after DBC, the easier and faster clean up becomes. To me JB probably take out DBC.

DF
Posted By: Starman Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by DBoston
The etching with ammonia based cleaners only occurs if you let it dry out on the metal, if kept wet there should be no etching.

Yes not advisable to let ammonia solutions dry.
but also true -
Ammonia solution can be used to etch steels.
How well 5% in Sweets or less in other bore
cleaners can etch steel, is another matter.
Loading manuals from the 50s, recommended
26% ammonia for at least 20 minutes in a
plugged(sealed) barrel , then a good flush,
dry and oiling.
Ammonia is also hydrophilic, meaning it
draws moisture from the atmosphere.

I still use Sweets responsibly without a worry.
Posted By: efw Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/13/21
Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/13/21

yup
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Fotis

yup

To me, it's a close second to Patch Out. With Patch Out, I can use the Accelerator if needed. I like Wipe Out, it's just a bit messy. Patch Out is about as effective and IME, easier to use.

Eliminator is good and you're right, it doesn't have much smell.

DF
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/13/21
I've used hopes #9 for 50 years and it seems to work for me. too old to change now.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I've used hopes #9 for 50 years and it seems to work for me. too old to change now.

If you have used Hoppes#9 for 50 years you have never got all the copper out of your bore, buy a bore scope and see what I mean,
you are never too old to change unless you are Nancy Pelosi laugh
Posted By: ledvm Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/14/21
Patchout
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/14/21
Eliminator. Although the bottles suck.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Best Copper Cleaner ?? - 01/14/21

Sweets was my standby favorite, still keep a bottle around. Been using Wipe Out for years now. Comes in a metal can, haven't ever had a can leak which supports claim it doesn't harm carbon steel or 416 stainless. I too got tired of sitting with Sweets making sure it didn't dry in bore and etch. Can't imagine anything less hassle free that works as well as Wipe out. Doubt I will ever use Sweet's again. Good cleaner, but it has it's own set of diminishing side effects if not used explicitly as described in directions. Really little wiggle room where as Wipe Out can be left in barrel overnight with no bad effects.
© 24hourcampfire