Home
Posted By: gitem_12 fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
last thursday I placed an order for 3 boxes of Nosler 7mm 160 grain accubonds. listed as in stock. my card was hit for the charges. yesterday, three days after the oder placed and confirmation was sent I get a notification that the product was out of stock and my order was cancelled. what a schidty company cabelas has turned itno
Posted By: JeffyD Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
You're preachin' to the choir.
Wife and kids and I used to enjoy making a day trip out of a visit to Cabela's.
Haven't stepped into their store, or placed any orders, in 3 years or so. No need to. They can keep their overpriced Chinese crap.
Screwing over their once loyal customers by not honoring their "lifetime" warranties was the final nail in their coffin for me.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
On one of these outdoor forums some guy new to hunting asked about a one stop shop for gear. 15 -20 years ago I would have said Cabelas.
Not these days.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
I avoid the big box stores for hunting and gun equipment if at all possible. Support the local small shop.
Posted By: Teal Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I avoid the big box stores for hunting and gun equipment if at all possible. Support the local small shop.

Used to be a place in Green Bay called "Nickolai's" - was just like that. Could get EVERYTHING there. As a youth, I got my first 22lr and deer rifle there.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
I most always do but when NOONE has the stuff I need and CABELAS had it listed IN STOCK, thats where I had to buy it
Posted By: MagMarc Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Bass Pro ruined them and is doing the same to Sportsmans Warehouse. BP closed the Cabelas near me when they took over. I don’t buy from any of them now.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
I quit Cabelas years ago and am ready to quit shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse. We have a wonderful LGS about 8 miles away called Gunnies in Orem, Utah. Well stocked, great prices and knowledgeable employees. They are my "go to" shop now. When I lived in Helena, MT, my favorite store was Capital Sports. Their used gun rack often has some cool, old stuff you can't find anywhere else.
Posted By: trplem Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by Teal

Used to be a place in Green Bay called "Nickolai's" - was just like that. Could get EVERYTHING there. As a youth, I got my first 22lr and deer rifle there.

I bought a bunch of reloading gear from them back in the '90's. A few friends lived up that way making it a convenient side trip. After they moved away heading there was a less frequent event. When did they close up?
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Cabelas was a good company. Then Bass Pro bought them and ruined them. Cut from inventory the good things and brought in worthless junk.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Scheels is going to over shadow them all
Posted By: JPro Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by gitem_12
last thursday I placed an order for 3 boxes of Nosler 7mm 160 grain accubonds. listed as in stock. my card was hit for the charges. yesterday, three days after the oder placed and confirmation was sent I get a notification that the product was out of stock and my order was cancelled. what a schidty company cabelas has turned itno

They did me like this twice. But they sent the other items I'd added to my cart to bump the total up to enough for free shipping. Of course, the ammo didn't ship, so they reneged on the free shipping deal. I told them I was done ordering from Bass Pro / Cabelas. Anybody that big should have an up-to-date inventory. Leaving high-demand items as "available" is just bait and switch.....
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I've heard good things about Scheels but I haven't been to one.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21

I hope so, as I'm another Cabela's refugee.

We had a great local Cabela's. Bass Pro took over and you know the rest.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Had a Bad experience with them a couple yrs. back! I'm done, they don't care, Bass pro, Blows!!! I miss the old Cabela's too! Tried their Customer service, non existent like everywhere else! I don't need em! Boycott!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

Me neither, but they ship fast.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Cabelas was a good company. Then Bass Pro bought them and ruined them. Cut from inventory the good things and brought in worthless junk.

PREZACTLY !
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21

Agreed.....and it is a true shame ...Hb
Posted By: Seafire Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/21/21
I brought a House Brand Cabelas scope after Ass Blows took over.

A $200 scope and the check out kid, asks me do I want to buy a 2 year warranty for $90 more.

Then I point out that the box states a life time warranty, and the kids response.... so do you want to buy a 2 year warranty for $90?

I haven't quit buying things they have that I need, as long as it doesn't say ASS Blows on it...

Now I am waiting for them to ask me if I'd like to buy a 2 year warranty for $90 on a pound of powder, or a box of primers or any bullets...
That's how bright I think, that they think they are...

and now Sportsman's Sold out to them also...
Posted By: HeavyBarrel Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
Bought one gun from the Louisville Kentucky store 2 years ago because it was a great price. Worst gun buying experience I have ever had and I have bought many in my 50 years! Will never buy another from them no matter how good the deal!

HeavyBarrel
Posted By: gunzo Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
Cabelas was my place to get quality outdoor clothing for years. But BP ruined/cheapened the line & kept the same high prices that quality stuff brings.

But, was never in my interest for reasonable prices for ammo or loading components. That said, this day in time might have in desperation & trying to find something, anywhere, including them.

OTOH, in these times of hundreds of thousands of buyers electronically shopping & grabbing what they can, I can fully expect glitches & otherwise.

Hell, I threw my hat in the ring last week to grab a small portion of a lot of 12,000 bullets & I was the 5th or 6th reply. I was too late. Disappointed, but not angry as it's just the way things are.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
You guys can FUGG the hell out of Cabela's and Sportsman's all you want. Leaves more Tikka superlites for me...
Posted By: efw Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Agreed.....and it is a true shame ...Hb

Yep genuinely sad. Dick must be spinning in his grave.
Posted By: dale06 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21

I’m a regular at Scheels. It’s what Cabelas was 15 years ago. Used to go to and buy at Cabelas often. Been close to a year since I’ve been in Cabelas.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
I seldom passed up a stop at the Cabelas in Lehi Utah on my trips north on I-15. Now I hit the Scheels in the south end of the Salt Lake valley.
Great stock, helpful staff, good prices, employee owned.
Wish there was one closer to me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21

Good in theory, but pickings are slim at the one I usually shop at, AND they are apparently locked into one jobber, so if the jobber doesn’t handle something, it’s “unavailable”. They got pretty snippy with me a while back about ordering a rifle.

I called them a couple weeks ago about a S&W I wanted. They had it, and I bought it. They were my primary source for primers and powder, such as they had anyway, but then HAZMAT fees went down and online suppliers carried much more stuff, so I branched out.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
+1 on Scheels, I buy bullets from them frequently, decent prices and fast shipping. Agreed Bass Pro clothing is Chinese crap, bought a couple pair of their cargo pants and they fell apart in less than a year.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21

I try support smaller business when I can but when I was looking for my Shield Plus two weeks ago I went to a couple small dealers in my area but they wanted 55-65 dollars more than Palmetto State Armory that was about 25 miles from me. 55-65 dollars may not be a lot of money to keep some from buying local but it's enough to me that I can't justify buying from those smaller shops. Just the way it is.
Posted By: trplem Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
For those that haven't been to Scheel's, This is how good it is. I, A 51 year old man that can reliably pass as a functional adult, will go to the big Appleton mall to visit the one near me.
Posted By: pullit Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
Have made many trips to Cabela's over the years and work within 5 miles of a Bass Pro. I now drive by BP and never even stop and it is getting to be that way with Cabela's when I am near one.
Great store that has been jacked up and screwed up by bean counters.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21

That’s exactly what happened. Fortunately I have other options, especially with the internet. Years ago I used cabelas but not anymore.
Posted By: Teal Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
I sorely miss the old Sportsman's Warehouse we had here before they did the constriction. Was unaware Bass Pro bought them.
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You're preachin' to the choir.
Screwing over their once loyal customers by not honoring their "lifetime" warranties was the final nail in their coffin for me.

I had a bulletproof rifle case with the lifetime warranty from Cabela's. I had heard of replacements being sent during a hunt if something happened.
Well mine broke open at the Casper airport. I called Cabela's (after being bought by Bass Pro) and they basically said return it when you get back.
I managed to rig a latch, then taped it at the airport. After I got home and dredged up the receipt, I was able to return it for credit, but it was a battle to get them to warranty it.
I replaced it with something not made by Cabela's or BPS.

ETA: I also have discovered Scheels, in Rapid City and mail order. I wish they had stores closer to home!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/23/21
Drove to BPS/Cabelas (not sure which it actually is now) to buy an $850 fish finder a few weeks ago. Cash in hand, ready to buy. They wouldn’t sell to me because it was going on sake 4 days later for $450(loss leader, only a few in stock in each store). Kid tells me they’re in stock, points to them in fact, but won’t sell.

From their fishing counter, I call Scheels, they price match the $450 sale price over the phone and don’t make me wait the 4 days to get it. Free shipping and n my door step in 3 days.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Drove to BPS/Cabelas (not sure which it actually is now) to buy an $850 fish finder a few weeks ago. Cash in hand, ready to buy. They wouldn’t sell to me because it was going on sake 4 days later for $450(loss leader, only a few in stock in each store). Kid tells me they’re in stock, points to them in fact, but won’t sell.

From their fishing counter, I call Scheels, they price match the $450 sale price over the phone and don’t make me wait the 4 days to get it. Free shipping and n my door step in 3 days.

You shoulda bought at the local place instead of waitin. Geeze
Posted By: BobBrown Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1 on Scheels, I buy bullets from them frequently, decent prices and fast shipping. Agreed Bass Pro clothing is Chinese crap, bought a couple pair of their cargo pants and they fell apart in less than a year.

Shucks . You didn’t get a “good” deal!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/23/21
Scheels is a employee owned store. I have yet to meet one sales person that did not know what he/she were talking about.All were very courteous and willing to help you find anything in the store
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/23/21
Now I know why I give ass pro the finger everytime I drive by them, thanks guys.
Posted By: Oakster Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/24/21
I liked Cabelas for the used gun inventory and that is phasing out. They cant even list all of their guns on the website so it can be properly browsed. Il liked Sportsmans Warehouse for reloading equipment. The prices were good and the people were friendly. I hope they keep it up after the shortage. I am sure Bass Pro will kill them soon enough. I used to buy Handloader magazine there but Bass Pro wont let them sell the magazines anymore.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/24/21
I live ten minutes from a BPS. I don't go there anymore even for fishing gear. For fishing I go to a small shop in an old gas station that is family owned and been open for generations. When you walk in the door you are ten steps from everything you will ever need to fish my area. At BPS
You have to walk through ten aisles of hats, gummy bears and plastic shoes to get to twenty rows of junk gear only to find they are out of stock on
The two items you use here.
There aren't any hunting gear shops down my way so I always bought from Cabelas. I remember filling in their order form and calling in my order.
These days I find I order from many difference online sources. Mostly small retailers with no store fronts. Once in a while from bigger places like Natches or Midway. I got my pack from Scheels online. Probably isnt a Scheels store 1500 miles from me.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/24/21
Originally Posted by Oakster
I liked Cabelas for the used gun inventory and that is phasing out. They cant even list all of their guns on the website so it can be properly browsed. Il liked Sportsmans Warehouse for reloading equipment. The prices were good and the people were friendly. I hope they keep it up after the shortage. I am sure Bass Pro will kill them soon enough. I used to buy Handloader magazine there but Bass Pro wont let them sell the magazines anymore.

that's funny my local sportmans has quite a few magazines for sale.
Posted By: guy57 Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/25/21
Bought a pair of Cabelas super mag waders before last duck season. this spring while fishing steelhead one foot and leg got wet, they leaked like a sive. When i took them back to Cabelas the girl informed me that i owned them for over 60 days so i would need to contact corporate and see if they would do anything about it. I"ll never spend another penny at that chithole place. I sure do miss the OLD Cabelas.
Posted By: KenMi Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/25/21
Yeah, since Ass Hole shops took them over, the customer service went down the $hitter.
Called last week about a trail camera they had on sale, that they hadn't even got in yet. Lady said they had 17,000 coming in this week, and with that many, the sale price would certainly remain in place.
Checked today. 1 in stock, site won't allow an order. Sale price is gone.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/25/21
Originally Posted by KenMi
Yeah, since Ass Hole shops took them over, the customer service went down the $hitter.
Called last week about a trail camera they had on sale, that they hadn't even got in yet. Lady said they had 17,000 coming in this week, and with that many, the sale price would certainly remain in place.
Checked today. 1 in stock, site won't allow an order. Sale price is gone.

How much was the sales price compared to regular price?
Posted By: KenMi Re: fugg Cabelas - 06/25/21
$79 vs 99

Today it doesn't even come up in their site search
Posted By: Jethro15 Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/18/21
Once Bass Pro took over, Cabelas wasn’t even an option anymore. It’s a shame, like someone else mentioned, they used to be the one stop shop.
Posted By: joepb Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/18/21
The last two orders I have placed have been screwed up. I am done with them.
Posted By: MAC Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/18/21
I have a piece of property in Peetz, CO which is 14 miles from the Cabelas headquarters in Sidney, NE. Used to spend a lot of time there. Dick Cabela used to walk around the store talking with people and helping customers. He was a heck of a nice guy. He would roll over in his grave if he saw what has become of Cabelas since Bass Pro took it over. Worst thing Cabelas ever did was allow it to go public on the NYSE. When it was family run Dick and Jim ran it great but when it went corporate it changed big time.
Posted By: Jericho Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/18/21
i was just checking out the used guns on Cabela's library....holy moly....
Posted By: HaYen Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/20/21
I double your Fugg and raise you a Frick
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/20/21
There was a time when I considered setting up an allotment to Cabelas because I spent that much money with them.

I haven't purchased a single item since BP bought them. I don't see that ever changing.
Posted By: Redneck Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by HaYen
I double your Fugg and raise you a Frick
I'll see your Frick and raise you two...
Posted By: las Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/23/21

Send a Scheels up here, woodja?

Ammo shelves at SW here in Soldotna are full- all of it crap calibers few here use. I might have to get a .25-06 again..... they did have a couple dozen boxes of that smile. Last week they had about 20 boxes of Blue Box 150 in '06. I'm holding out for Corelokts tho- I'm not a fan of those Hi-shoks. Probably should have bought some anyway, at $27. Ain't buying anything over $40!

NO 30-30, 308, 30-06, 270, 260, 243, 257, 300Mag, 338WM or other common hunting calibers. Lots of .223, 6mm Creed, and various elephant calibers, and the like.

I'll check Cabelas and SW when I'm in Anchorage Monday and Tuesday, with little hope of finding anything worth buying at reasonable price. I'm good for this hunting season, maybe next - just have to pick what gun has ammo - or set up my reloading bench again.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/27/21
Cabelas: Hard Nope

To many other & more relevant options IMO
Posted By: las Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/27/21
Picked up 2 box ( limit 5) i20 ga 7 1/2 atSW /AnC today. Good price. Nothing for rifle on shelves except for PD and elephant. Kinda short on those critters up here.

Cabelas got virtual nothing. Really bare! Parked in lot now with camper - about only good use for them . Got company and a half dozen guns in camper tho.

Shoot at Cooper Landing Range on way back home tomorrow
Posted By: WAM Re: fugg Cabelas - 07/27/21
I used to buy almost all my hunting and shooting stuff from Cabelas. We even used to time our hunting trip travel times to hit the Cabelas in Boise during store hours before they opened one nearby. Now, just a pile of crap or way overpriced name brand stuff like Sitka, etc… At the one near me, geezers troll the ammo aisles snapping up ammo that they’ll never shoot and have the blue hair spousal unit grab a second limit. I was really done when they refused to honor the Lifetime Warranty on the boot foot lightweight waders that cracked or on the Gore-Tex boots that leak in wet grass. Double Fugg em now and forever!
© 24hourcampfire