Home
Posted By: Mach3 If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
The one do-it-all hunting rifle out of your collection for ALL North American game.

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

Which one would you pick?
Posted By: zcm82 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
Savage 99EG in 300 Savage. No scope, Marble's micrometer peep sight with an extra fine bead Marble's front sight. 110grain HP for pests, 130 TTSX for deer sized game, 150TTSX for bigger game.
Posted By: hanco Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
Sako 338 Win Mag, 3.5x10 Leupold, serial number 8, probably first day of production.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Howa .30-06, NF 3-10 SHV.
My Tikka 280 AI with the attached LRHS.
Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
THIS one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tikka T3X 7 RM, Swift 4-12X40 or Bushy 4-12X40 AO

Here's why.

Among several others since 2018

I have other rifles I like the looks of better but none perform any better.

7 RM has ballistics among the best in the business and bullets FOR any N A game.
It does NOT knock the snot out of me.

Jerry

ps: multiple mags for quick reloading.

I can't have just one.
My Grandfather's tang safety M77 300 wm wearing a M8 6x
Posted By: pullit Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
My Remington 270 with a Nightforce scope
Winchester M70 FWT, 280 Rem, Leupold 3.5-10

Marlin 336 JM stamped in 30-30 a close second.
John Hofmiester custom 358 Winchester built on a Pre-64 action or its Ray Montgomery built 700 cousin in 358 Winchester, but it will definitely be a 358 Winchester both wear VX-3 2.5-8X36MM headdresses
My 338-06 on a Tikka T3 action, wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scope, bell and carlson stock. Its a shooter and capable of most all game that I want to take. Nothing fancy but an effective tool.
Posted By: John55 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
D’Arcy Echols Legend in 300Wby, scoped with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x that has their B&C reticle.
Ruger 77 Hawkeye 30-06 with Docter 6x scope.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
"all North American game" would include the big bears so it would have to be my Ruger tanger in 338 Win Mag. I'd have to upgrade its current scope.

If we're talking the lower 48, I'd go with my Husky in 270 Win and its old Weaver 4-16.
Dirty odd sex. Whatever rifle makes you guys mad lol
I guess it would have to be my 7-08 NULA......I think that would fill my needs as I doubt big bears are on my horizon. With a good stiff bullet I'd be happy to use it on a moose.

Glass is a Leupold 2.5x8
Posted By: skeen Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/28/21
Sako Finnlight in .270 dropped in a McMillan Hunter stock, topped with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16×42.
My Ruger Hawkeye AW in .308 with that SS 1-4 it has on it. Ammo dependent on what I am after. 150 BT for deer, 110 gr. Varmegeddon for coyotes and such. 165 of some flavor for elk or similar, and load a heavy partition or use some of the 180 Failsafes I already have for toothy stuff. Not really interested in hunting big bears anyway.
Ruger 77 mk II all weather boat paddle with Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10.

Mine started with a Burris 3x9 signature back in the 90's but just got the upgrade to the elite. Ultimate Elk, Deer, Antelope, Moose and Bear killer. No worries about the conditions or being away from the trailhead for a week. It's been carried many miles strapped to a horse in a scabbard. Dozens of snow storms. Taken a fall down an icy slope. Still my favorite.
haven't seen the need for more then a couple 3 77gr tmk in the magazine

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo
Posted By: GreggH Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
My Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag with Zeiss Conquest 3x9 would be my first pick.
GreggH
Before I learned I didn't want to hunt all it was an ABolt .300 WM with 2-10x scope.
Originally Posted by John55
D’Arcy Echols Legend in 300Wby, scoped with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x that has their B&C reticle.

I’d have never guessed grin
if I had to, I reckon I'd grab Percy.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Mine would be my 7mm Mashburn Super.. it’s had a few scopes, 2 different stocks and some small changes through the years but it’s been a pretty solid rifle.

Kind of a newer version of Ol Betsy

For the past 3 seasons the one I grab almost every time I leave the house is a Sako A7S with a factory fluted barrel in 300wsm. It wears a Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50. Bought it off of Sako76 here on the fire. Great gun from a great guy to deal with!

Wish there was a like button on this forum! Whole lotta posts on this thread to like!
Tikka t3x 6.5 kreed w/ 3-9x42 HD super chicken. Easy button.
Posted By: WAM Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Weatherby Mark V Fibermark, .300 Wby Mag, 26” barrel, Kahles 2.5-10x50 scope #4 reticle. Lights out accurate with power aplenty.
Posted By: John55 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mine would be my 7mm Mashburn Super.. it’s had a few scopes, 2 different stocks and some small changes through the years but it’s been a pretty solid rifle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][/URL

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/beretzs/a/087ee340-789a-405d-8742-858fb5d171f2/p/a48166df-e7b4-4d76-9df4-9983e91a2229][Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Neither would I😎
Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
VERY Nice Beretz

LIKE !!

Jerry
Posted By: memtb Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
I did that in 1990! No regrets, no intent to change! My “only” hunting rifle!

Though in 31 years, I have modified the load a bit, and went from a 2.5-8 Leupold to a 3.5-10 Leupold CDX mounted in Leupold QD bases/rings.

Rifle: semi-custom, Model 70:Win., Douglas Match Grade SS barrel with iron sights, in. McMillan Classic stock.

Caliber/ Cartridge : 375 AI. Bullet: Barnes 250 TTSX @ 3130 fps. will go to Barnes 270 LRX when I get some!

Weighs in @ 9 lbs 1 ounce......scoped, loaded and slung! memtb
Ruger
35 Whelen
Burris
Remington Classic 8mm Rem Mag
Pentax 3-11x44

If I had to whittle it down to one for everything, it would be my Sako 85 in 6.5X55. It shoots bughole groups and kills stuff dedernhell without pounding the snot out of me. Scope on it is what's been on it since I got it new and has worked well: VX-3 (or III, can't ever remember) 2 1/2 - 8 with B & C reticle. Also, it's a really nice rifle to look at, great piece of wood.
Current collection only? Kinda narrows things down! (My 30-06s and 6.5 Creedmoors are shaking their bolt knobs at me.)

It's not 100% done yet, but, Shileny, my Shilen DGR, 7RM, LRTSi 3-12, Grayboe Outlander, Timney CE 2-stage, PTG Obendorf, Silencerco Omega build is the one. The barrel is going on a diet as soon as I figure out the lathe. I enjoy this no-smith build much.

Runner up, EZ peasy but I gotta swap the scope. That's cheating? Rem 700 Mtn 270 parts gun with a 6X SWFA, good old Walker, factory BM, sitting in a frugal Stocky's stock.

Tikka 695, 7Mag, VX6. It's taken lots of game from Africa, Sonora MX, and several states.

Posted By: Mach3 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
I would be extremely confident taking my Model 70 Super Grade maple in 270win with a custom 140gr load and VX5 glass on anything in the lower 48.
Blaser R8 with barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H. Zeiss Conquest 2-10 with Z600 reticle.
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

Have you ever seen a coastal brown bear stand up about 30 yards away to see what's making all the noise? grin
Benelli R1 30-06

Vx3 2.5-8 b&c reticle
If the big bears are included, a Weatherby Weathermark in 340 that carries a rebuilt vari-x-III 3.5x10. Take away the big bears and It would probably be a Tikka T3x 270wsm with a LRHSi 4.5x18,

These questions always require compromises. The question would even more interesting if the 1 rifle could only have 1 load. For the 340, it would be a compromise but I’d pick 210 Partitions. For the 270wsm, it would be 140 Accubonds.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Remington Classic 8mm Rem Mag
Pentax 3-11x44

That is a beautiful rifle.
These questions always lead to an oversized rifle, because there's no way I'm predator calling bears with a 6.5mm, but if need be a .375 can be shot at distance or headshot bunnies. There's a reason people own more than one rifle though.

So whatever, Winchester M70 Classic (B&C stock) in .375 WSM with a 20" barrel with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 compact. Everywhere it's legal, it'll be good. The straightwall states and situations where rimfire is required, it won't be so good.
Posted By: DBrink Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Hard to pick one, but... Remington 700 KS Mtn Rifle in 7MM STW with 160 grain Accubond or 150 grain Ballistic Tip. Hits hard downrange and recoil is manageable and will handle anything I am likely to point it at.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

Have you ever seen a coastal brown bear stand up about 30 yards away to see what's making all the noise? grin

I’d bet $ 500.00 the answer is NO > with that ?gun?

Jerry
Barring any legal caliber/weight/energy requirements, I'd honestly stick with my Rem 700 6.5X284 and 10X SS, though for hunting everything I'd swap it out for a 6X SS. I dearly love my .300 and .375, both H&Hs but they're not as versatile as my 6.5x284 the way I have them all set up.

Antelope to Griz, it has done fine for me.
Posted By: RinB Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21

G33/40 270 or 30/06 22”
Leupold Ultralight 3x9
Posted By: RGK Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
This would work. M70 .30-06 standard with a Lyman 4X. The Lyman is one of the last ones made, with a duplex reticle. It's kinda heavy at 9.5 lbs, but I work out, so I'll manage. If it was my only rifle, I'd look at maybe another, more modern scope (a 2.5-8x Leupold would be nice). An accurate, reliable favorite, made of steel and walnut.
Bob

I will probly never hunt any big game with a rifle other than Whitetails so I would pick My Kimber Sub-Alpine 30-06 with a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 but I could also be happy with a Tikka T3x Superlite .300 Win with a Leupold VX3-HD 3.5-10x40 or a half dozen other rigs I can think of 😁.....Hb
That makes me want a model 70... Nice rich tone to the walnut.

Originally Posted by RGK
k This would work. M70 .30-06 standard with a Lyman 4X. The Lyman is one of the last ones made, with a duplex reticle. It's kinda heavy at 9.5 lbs, but I work out, so I'll manage. If it was my only rifle, I'd look at maybe another, more modern scope (a 2.5-8x Leupold would be nice). An accurate, reliable favorite, made of steel and walnut.
Bob

Originally Posted by jwall

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

Jerry

All in good fun, but, yeah they're big and scary. 😬

Originally Posted by RGK
k This would work. M70 .30-06 standard with a Lyman 4X. The Lyman is one of the last ones made, with a duplex reticle. It's kinda heavy at 9.5 lbs, but I work out, so I'll manage. If it was my only rifle, I'd look at maybe another, more modern scope (a 2.5-8x Leupold would be nice). An accurate, reliable favorite, made of steel and walnut.
Bob

He did a damn fine job refinishing the stock. Looks great.

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

Jerry

you bet 500$ to who. me?
Ruger Mark II, Stainless bead-blasted, Timney Trigger, Pacific Research stock.
338 Winchester
Schmidt & Bender 1.5-8x42, FD4 reticle.

I have had this rifle a long time. Scopes have come and gone on it, but the rifle has stayed. I definitely have confidence in it and the 338 Winchester cartridge.
I currently use the 225 grain TSX bullets. As a 1 rifle scenario, I would finally load the 225 TTSX and 210 TTSX that I have.

Originally Posted by Mach3
The one do-it-all hunting rifle out of your collection for ALL North American game.

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

He did a damn fine job refinishing the stock. Looks great.

That he did.
Bob

Pretty sweet rifle there. If I remember correctly, you also recut the checkering. Looks great..
Of my guns?

Rem 660 308
Brown Precision stock, shortened a bit. Decelerator.
Talley mounts vari-xii 3x9.
That's how it sits.
But i would probably bust out a nib Elite 3200 3x9 if it was my one and only.

I keep spending money to find a better one.
But it's been knocking around since
1989. Size, weight, fit, balance, nothing else is
just right.
My Remington 700 XCR ii in 270 win. McMillan edge classic stock, Timney Trigger, VX3 3.5-10x40 in Warne rings and bases.
I'd keep this faux Rigby in 275R.

Remington 700 BDL 30-06 ,2.5x8 Leupold with an aftermarket trigger.
[quote=Ndbowhunter]

[quote=jwall][quote=MtnBoomer][quote=Ndbowhunter]haven't seen the need for more then a couple 3 77gr tmk in the magazine

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo
----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

you bet 500$ to who. me?

I normally don't gamble with $$$ BUT I said it SO Yeah TO YOU under the descriptions given.

A. Coastal Brown Bear
B. Standing @ 30 yds
C. You with THAT rifle

I'll stand behind my bet BUT you have to have PROOF.

Jerry
Posted By: 308ld Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather....308, VX2 2-7X33

Posted By: Teeder Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
If it has to be one for everything including the big bears, then I'd have to go with my .338-06.
Rem 700, PacNor barrel, McM KS Mnt rifle stock, Leupold 2.5X8 in DD's.
My son just dropped 2 moose with it in about 5 minutes in Newfoundland.

[Linked Image]

If the big bears are excluded, I'd probably go with my Kimber Montana in 7mm-08.
Mnt Ascent stock, Leupold 2.5X8 in Talley's.

[Linked Image]
Winchester model 70 stainless classic, 30.06, Leupold 3x9 scope.
It would have to be the gun I bought just for that purpose: Steyr Model M Professional in .30-06 with a Kahles 6x42 with #4 reticle

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Dre Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Tikka T3 SS, 30/06, vx3 3.5-10 CDS in Talley’s, 168 Ttsx at 2950fps
Fug that pick one shidt. I worked hard all my life to have what I want bought and paid for with money I made. The whole idea. Of this country is to be as big or little as you want not be satisfied with only "pick one shidt" . OP your question sounds like a demotard gun hater rationalizing why gun owners should only have minimum firearms. You one of those commie [bleep]? Mb
Posted By: zcm82 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
And here I was starting to think we might have a rifle related thread not get derailed... how silly of me 🙄

Also, back OT, since other people have made the "lower 48 no big bears" aside, for that I'd use the 1899A short rifle in 303 Savage, same sights as I run on the 300.

I would just choose my 300 for "everything" over the 303 for the extra giddyup on extra large critters. I have severe reverse-mangum-itis, so I much prefer the 303 for shooting.
[quote=SCGunNut]Remington Classic 8mm Rem Mag
Pentax 3-11x44

-------------------------------

I didn't remember your 8 being in a Classic. NICE.

I don't think I have a pic of my 8 RM at all. I'll remedy that today. However it doesn't look diff from any other BDL.

I carried it some last year but no shot was available. I have killed deer with it in the past.

Jerry
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Blaser R8 with barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H. Zeiss Conquest 2-10 with Z600 reticle.

Yeah, it's 1 rifle but a 'cheater'. LOL

DMD do you recognize this one I posted on P 1 ?

Yep, she's a FAV and MY pick of 1 for ALL.

Thanks

Jerry
Originally Posted by pacecars

[Linked Image from ]

pace - I had to look twice. I thot that was a Stoggie like GW posts on occasion. grin
Then I saw the loop for the call.

Nice.

Jerry
Ruger Hawkeye standard wood and blue
308win
Leupold vx2 3-9x40
I'll play, hard for me to not go with my Kimber Montana in .308 with Leupold 3.5-10. Carries so well and drops what it is pointed at. Good thing we don't have to choose!
Rifle: Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

Caliber: 280 Remington

Scope: Leupold VX-II, 2-7 power

RP
Posted By: szihn Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
The "one rifle IF game" is fun but not actually very realistic for me or for most hunters.

IF I needed to pick only 1 rifle and IF I had unlimited opportunities to hunt and IF I have enough money to travel anywhere I wanted to and IF I could have unlimited availability of power, primers, bullets and brass and IF I could have 2-3 spare barrels so I would never have to worry about shooting out the bore because I would use that 1 rifles for all my shooting including jack-rabbits and rock-chucks all the way up to elephants..................I would choose my Mauser 375H&H

But BECAUSE I don't have unlimited time and money or availability of bullets powder brass and primers I would not choose just one rifle.

I don't have enough money to travel over the world and I don't have the time to take off work and I only rarely go out of Wyoming to hunt anything anymore. Confined by my budget and lack of time, and with the ammunition I do have now, I could write down the descriptions of about 8 different rifles I have on 8 different pieces of paper and put them in a hat, then have someone pick one out and the results for the rest of my life would probably be the same. From 270s, 308s 30-06s 300H&H, 8X57, 358 Win, 9.3X57, 9.3X62 and 375H&H All would cover all my needs fine. I could throw in the rifles with irons only and they would limit me to closer shots, but I'd still bet my kill rate would not drop all that much. I love hunting with iron sighted rifles and in the last 10-12 years about 90% of my kills have been made with guns with irons only, and it's VERY rare I have a tag for any animal that goes un-punched when the season is over. If I threw in the descriptions of the iron-sighted rifle to the list above I would be able to add additional 30-06s one additional 270, 300 Savages, 303 Brit, 30-30, an additional 9.3X57 and a 35 Remington.

For a "one rifle" question I am sure I would not ever choose a rifle with no scope and as I age I see the need for scopes in dimer light more and more, but even if I only had a single rifle with irons only, I'd still be doing pretty good I think. I average about 6-8 kills even year and some years have been up to 10-12 and as I said, in the last 10 years of so, about 90% of those were killed with firearms that had no scopes at all. Lets call it an average of 8 kills per year and lets say we only look at 10 years. 90% of 80 kills is still 72 kills. In the last 10 years I can remember only 3 tags that went unfilled. Of those that were unfilled I can't remember any hunts where having a scope would have helped all that much because when I didn't fill a tag is was because I could not get to elk which were on ground I was not allowed to hunt, or with one tag I simply ran out of time and could not hut that tag at all.

So I DO enjoy the what-if game as much as anyone else, but I don't believe it's realistic. At least my experience have shown me it's not all that important.

Having friends in Europe I can see a foundation for the game. Many (most) of them can't have unlimited guns. Some countries allow only one. We in the USA may be like them some time because of the lack of 'interest" of the common American to become involved and the short sightedness of the average American. They seem to always wait until the problem is overwhelming to even notice it despite the first 3 words of out highest law.

Plato was correct when he wrote "Those that refuse to be involved in Government are ALWAYS punished by being ruled by their inferiors". Humans are short sighted and largely unwise. American are not any different.

In ALL activities in life (including government) it's easier to stay out of danger then it is to get out of danger.

[quote=Ndbowhunter]

[quote=jwall][quote=MtnBoomer][quote=Ndbowhunter]haven't seen the need for more then a couple 3 77gr tmk in the magazine

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

you bet 500$ to who. me?

I normally don't gamble with $$$ BUT I said it SO Yeah TO YOU under the descriptions given.

A. Coastal Brown Bear
B. Standing @ 30 yds
C. You with THAT rifle

Jerry

to be clear, if i do you'll paypal me 500$ today ??
My Beretta Mato in 30-06, with a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select scope in Talley detachable mounts. It sits in a factory walnut stock but I also have a factory synthetic stock for hunting in bad weather if needed.
Posted By: skeen Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by hunting1
I'll play, hard for me to not go with my Kimber Montana in .308...

Honestly, I don't know why I ever sold my .308 Montana. blush
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by hunting1
I'll play, hard for me to not go with my Kimber Montana in .308...

Honestly, I don't know why I ever sold my .308 Montana. blush

Yeah these are hard to beat, once you have one it becomes hard to be without a Montana .308 Win....Thats why I have two 😂......Hb
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'd keep this faux Rigby in 275R.

I'd keep that one, too.
Bob
My BRNO ZG-47 in 30-06 with a pair of Leupold 2,5x20 in Alaska Arms QD mounts.
My 1980s Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight 270 Win w/Winlite McMillan blind magazine stock topped with Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 in Talley rings. Shoots Barnes 130s into one ragged hole at 100 yds, carries like a dream and has good mojo.

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

......................Anyone of my 4 cartridges below will certainly do the trick. No need to consider any others. As to which one? I'd probably go with my Browning 28 Nosler as a do-it-all for ANY N/A game.
Posted By: papat Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/29/21
Since the batf considers the action a gun I would go with one of my Encores with some barrels. Always trying to game the system. 280 and 204 barrels would do well for me.
[quote=jwall][quote=Ndbowhunter]

so 18" rifle length ar15

with a good lpvo

you bet 500$ to who. me?

A. Coastal Brown Bear
B. Standing @ 30 yds
C. You with THAT rifle

Jerry

to be clear, if i do you'll paypal me 500$ today ??

-----------------------------

It's impossible to do today.
Do you have proof today?

Jerry
We shouldn't joke around such a serious topic...
u two are the ones calling me out not the other way around.

not sure why but i can't get photobucket or facebook to work. or heck even my old email account. see post 20

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/pistol-in-a-tent.116445/#post-1100964
Remington 700 KS 30-06 Remington. Stock painted black w/ gray webbing then coated with B&C Maxxguard, metal cerakoted graphite black, bolt fluted TI style and also coated graphite black, both by Kampfield. Topped with a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS reticle in Talley lows, and spitting 180gr Nosler Partitions in 1/2” groups at 100. Best purchase I ever made here on the ‘fire!
Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21

not sure why but i can't get photobucket or facebook to work. or heck even my old email account. see post 20

Ndbow -

First - I'm NOT crawfishing.
Second for clarity, I was NOT calling you a liar, period ! I'm serious bout that.
---- I thot and feel it was very unlikely someone (other than an Alaskan native) would hunt an Alaskan Coastal Brown
using an AR 15 with 77 gr bullets !!!

Third Mtn Boomer said " seen a Coastal Brown Bear at 30 yds " ; I added NOT with that rifle.

Fourth - (read all first) I don't have $500.00 to throw away BUT I will honor my bet IF YOU PRODUCE proof.

Fifth - IF you can produce proof today or tomorrow ( Sept.29-30, 2021) -- I'll pay up.

I can not and will not give anyone an unreasonable amount of time to 'produce' the proof. Either you have it and
produce it or NOT.

IF you can and do -- I will mail you a Real Money Order < we will work out name/address etc. !!

Jerry
Posted By: Mach3 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Fug that pick one shidt. I worked hard all my life to have what I want bought and paid for with money I made. The whole idea. Of this country is to be as big or little as you want not be satisfied with only "pick one shidt" . OP your question sounds like a demotard gun hater rationalizing why gun owners should only have minimum firearms. You one of those commie [bleep]? Mb

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

I fugging hate anything that has to with liberals and democrats. They should all be deported.

Does that answer your question?
post 48 is the closest i'm gonna find without photobucket or facebook.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...against-bears.123185/page-3#post-1181913
My plan was to use this Cooper 280AI until I can't hunt any more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But this Cooper 280 has gotta get some love too.

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Another Campfire head case
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow. Real nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow. Real nice.

Thanks.

Can't avoid it. I just like nice walnut.

I haven't shot the 280 yet, so it may not make it out this year.

The 280AI is a tackdriver, so it'll be first up.

I'll take my 18" BAR 308 for backup/thickets.
Posted By: Benbo Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
IF big bears were never going to be on the menu….. I could probably live with my .280AI on Rem 700 stainless action, McMillan stock, Hart barrel and zeiss scope that rides on it now…..it shoots 150TTSX very very well. If the big bears were on the menu…. My old 700 BDL 8 mag. It’s in a hi tech stock, leupold 4.5-14 side focus CDS scope. It shoots 200TSX well under MOA and it flat out kills everything I’ve ever shot right now.

Hmmmm…. Final answer…. 8 mag.
Good choice on the 8Mag, and I considered my 338 before I responded.

But I'm thinking I'd rather pass on a big bear hunt (and keep 30K in the bank), than hunt everything else with a 338 from here on out. smile
Posted By: CRS Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Top one. Model 70 classic 338-06 in McMillan Edge with VX-R 2-7.

I’ve got a KS mountain rifle with a Swarovski 3-9 in 338 that would be about as good as it gets for a one gun do it all weapon. It’s a great shooter. Used to shoot deer with it with 180BT when they were around. Shot an elk with it with 250 partitions waaaay back. 215 sierras are pretty sure killers on yoties! Still love that rifle. But I rarely grab it anymore… probably should let her strut her stuff more often. I’ve been loading 210TSX in it and I’d gladly hunt ANYTHING in NA with that. But I found thst old 8MAG 5-6 years ago and it’s been a very lucky rifle too. I doubt anything could tell the dif between it and the 338. Both are SERIOUS slayers of game…. If you hit them right. Heck, I wouldn’t hesitate to take my 270 or 308 as my only rifle…. But where’s the fun in that!!?!?
Posted By: memtb Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Good choice on the 8Mag, and I considered my 338 before I responded.

But I'm thinking I'd rather pass on a big bear hunt (and keep 30K in the bank), than hunt everything else with a 338 from here on out. smile

You could do far worse than using the .338 WM for everything....my wife does and seems pretty happy with it’s performance on everything that she’s taken (small black bear to moose) with it! memtb

If I was going to build one as a "one and only" it might be different, but I do already have an all around, general purpose rifle, and it is the one I grab most often anyways. It is my 20" T3 Lite Stainless. It wears an NXS Compact 2-10 x24, and an Edge stock. It is a very reliable elk and mule deer killer, and is quite nice to carry as well.

EDIT to add. It is in .308 Win.

I'm guessing 308Win ?
Yes, kimber 84m. I worked up a load and sighted in my buddys Abolt micro in 7-08. I I LOVED that rifle and the way it carried. So I looked and couldn’t find one but stumbled onto the kimber. I would hate to guess how many deer it’s killed with all sorts of 150 bullets. It’s a very low serial number gun. It’s always shot very well. I took it to Africa a couple times loaded with 168TSX…. it was very good to me. I’ve taken it on elk hunts with the 168TSX load but never got a shot. Last year I started loading 130TTSX in it…. Wow. 270 velocities and trajectories. That 130TTSX is bad news for deer. I might take it on elk this year too…..
I had one of those Abolt Micro's in 7-08. It shot really well, and carried even better. I should have kept it, but I just like the long action 7mm's a little better.

I do love the 308 too. Had many, and they (almost) always shoot well.

I haven't loaded for my shorty BAR 308 yet, but it's a 1" gun with several factory loads, so I'll have to see if I can improve on that with handloads one of these days. Probably try to get the trigger smoothed up a little too.
Winchester M70, 30-06, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40

Montana in 7-08
Model 70, 7mm Mauser or 6.5 x 55.... 3 x 9 Leupold with German # 1 reticle....

have both.
My go-to rifle is my Rem700 with a 24" Hart bbl chambered for the 280Rem. Being I'm getting older and slower, I would go with a lighter rifle chambered for the 7MM-08.
By the way, the rifle in my Avatar is the above rifle. 230yd shot shooting 150gr Barnes TSX bullet. He dropped where he was standing.
It aint perfect, is kinda heavy...

But I still like it.....Steyr PH .30-06 w VX3i 3.5-10x.
I'm guessing 308Win ?

Sheesh, can't believe I overlooked that..
Originally Posted by CRS

Man, now that is a good looking rifle!
Ruger 77RLS 358Win and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40...

Very classy looking Ruger!
Posted By: RGK Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Another Ruger, this one in .30-06. I could be happy with this.
Bob

Posted By: Mach3 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Some really nice rifles being posted here.

Nothing beats the classy look of a good old wood stock.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Really like this one. Recall you posting it some time back. Could you fill in the details on the work you had done by Hill Country Rifles?
Originally Posted by CRS

Thank you
Posted By: Teeder Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by CRS

+1!
Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS .308 Win with a Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x42

Barnes TTSX weighted appropriately to the task.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CRS

Precisely which McMillan stock is that?
Posted By: PWN Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
G series Winchester M-70 Classic in 30.06, McMillan stock with 3x9 Kahles 4A scope.
I think it is a Hunter's Edge.
Posted By: Teeder Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by CRS

Looks like one, imo.
Posted By: CRS Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/01/21
Simply can not remember. Bought it more than a few years ago for the build.

That rifle is probably the second to last rifle I would ever get rid of. Because if I had to sell down to one rifle, I would not have to worry too much about hunting big bears.

In that scenario, a 270 would do everything I needed at that point. That is what I started with along time ago, and could easily go back.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by CRS

Looks like one, imo.

Yep.
Originally Posted by CRS

As others have said, and figuring they're references to the ODG FDE goodness, looks great. Reminds me of. ...

LOL.

For an all around NA hunting rifle, an AR 223/556 (w/3 77s) is laughable, so we are - LAUGHING. Nothing more. Nothing less. If'n you were being called out, it'd be very clear. That's simply not the case.

NoGo on the rokslide link. Not into discussing fashion trends with flat-brim wankers or whatever goes on there. Those boys couldn't decide for themselves what cup to use for their damned dessert coffees!

LOL.

For an all around NA hunting rifle, an AR 223/556 (w/3 77s) is laughable, so we are - LAUGHING. Nothing more. Nothing less. If'n you were being called out, it'd be very clear. That's simply not the case.

NoGo on the rokslide link. Not into discussing fashion trends with flat-brim wankers or whatever goes on there. Those boys couldn't decide for themselves what cup to use for their damned dessert coffees!

That’s actually kind of funny about rockslide, a member on both sites and would say there are more flat brimmers there. Instead of choosing which decorative coffee cup to use on the fire it’s more like choosing which brand of generic arthritis meds and extension cords for their sleep ap machines.
Posted By: skeen Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/01/21

Uh, this one. grin

No flat brims here, bud. wink C'mon, man, lets not bang up on Rokslide.

LOLs all around.

"Which denture adhesive for African Plains hunt?" Campfire

"HELP, need socks to match my new sling." rokslide
Posted By: skeen Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/01/21
LOLs all around.

"Which denture adhesive for African Plains hunt?" Campfire

"HELP, need socks to match my new sling." rokslide

laugh laugh laugh
It would be a tough decision no doubt, but I think I'd grab my Remington 700 Ti in 7mm RSAUM/Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 loaded with Barnes 140 TTSX's. If I didn't have that rifle I wouldn't hesitate to grab my Barrett Fieldcraft/Swarovski Z3 and an bunch of 130 gr. Accubonds or 130 gr. Sirocco's and head out.
If it was really just one and they all had to go other than that. Rem 760 30-06 shooting whatever load applied to that situation. Not my favorite gun to use but it was my father’s for decades and bears the marks from his use. Nothing else in my collection comes close in its value to me. Plus 30-06 will do it all for me from bears to bucks.
Great to see I am in very good company. Nine members posted their Rugers. It was not a difficult decision to just pick one. Ruger M77 7x57mm. It has been a real work horse in the big game fields.

Posted By: RGK Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Really like this one. Recall you posting it some time back. Could you fill in the details on the work you had done by Hill Country Rifles?

Sure. Hill Country installed a 24" factory-taper barrel, glassed and bedded the action and barrel channel (full-length pressure), oil refinish, red 1" pad, cera-Kote bolt handle, extractor and floorplate, engine turned the bolt body and tuned the trigger for a 3 lb pull. I also had them polish off the Ruger dirty bird on the floorplate. It shoots 168 grain Barnes TTSX factory into one hole at 100 meters. An awesome lefty. I like it.
Bob
My primary rifle: Left hand Rem KS 270. Leupold 2.5x8 CDS with #4 reticle. Nosler factory 130gr NAB Trophy Grade.
Posted By: LBP Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/01/21
NULA, .223 Rem, Leupold VX3 2.5-8. I’ve had it for years and it’s all I need for my hunting.
I hunt pronghorn, deer, elk & moose mostly. Some day I hope to hunt caribou & Alaskan brown bear.

So for that, I need a large enough caliber for big bear and waterproof gear. Therefore, my choice would be:

35 Whelen
Ruger Hawkeye SS/Syn.
Leupold 2.5-8

Pronghorn & Deer--- Hornady Superformance 200 gr. @ 2,950 fps.
Elk & Caribou-------Federal Prem. 225 gr. TBBC @ 2,600 fps
Moose & Bear------Nosler Custom 250 gr. NP @ 2,500 fps or Handloaded 280 gr. SAF @ 2,300 fps.

I've also been to Africa (10) times and if that was included, it would change to a 375 H&H. But as this was NA only, I'll stick to the 35 Whelen. For me, the 338WM would run a close second in the same rifle/scope, but the barrel is 2" longer, and the rifle weighs about a pound or a bit more. Love that Whelen with 22" barrel, and 7 lb. bare weight (sans scope & rings).

Love that rifle
Posted By: ingwe Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/04/21

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

If I havent already answered..it would be this one.

Ruger African

.275 Rigby

Burriss FFII 3x9 BP

Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/04/21
THIS one.

Tikka T3X 7 RM, Swift 4-12X40 or Bushy 4-12X40 AO

Here's why.

Among several others since 2018

I have other rifles I like the looks of better but none perform any better.

7 RM has ballistics among the best in the business and bullets FOR any N A game.
It does NOT knock the snot out of me.

ps: multiple mags for quick reloading.

Here are 2 more reasons I like/use the 7.

Windage & Elevation .....Trajectory.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Love that rifle

Thanks buddy. It’s a gem for my purposes.

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

Oh gosh, no question about it, I'd grab my 30-06 Remington 700 CDL with the 6x Leupold. It's already given me grizzly, black bear, elk, mule deer, pronghorn and wolf... I think it will continue to do just fine with pretty much anything.

Regards, Guy
You and them darned 700’s grin
Model 7 AWR 300saum McMillan
Not gonna happen...........NEVER will there be just one ever!
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer

I'd like there to be. I'd like to think there is a gun out there that will be the one to satisfy me. I've never found it yet but I like to still believe it exists
Posted By: Bugger Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/05/21
Remington 700 BDL (or CDL) 30-06 SWFA 6x
Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer

Don't bet your bottom dollar on that ! ! There are places where NO guns are allowed !

Sad but true. "america" (uncapitalized on purpose) is being 'threatedned' EVERY day!!

Some have forgotten or REFUSE to accept that in a Democracy the MAJORITY rules NOT minorities !!!!!!!!!
Minorities are NOW running, er ruining, more things than EVER before.
SAY IT AIN'T SO !!!

Now H K -- the preface is a HYPOTHETICAL IF....

Being a Rifle Loony I really like LOTS of diff rifles. I don't have a rifle that I don't LIKE> Any rifle I've had that I didn't
like is GONE!! There are several cartridges that I don't like or CAN NOT stand. I don't have ONE in either category.
They are GONE > NEVER to return.

Hypothetically >>> IF I had to choose just ONE....I'm pretty confident in THIS

Tikka T3X Lite SS 7 Rem. Mag. covers ALL N A bases w/o arm busting recoil.

FIRST day to hunt this rifle -- Anterless Only season

FIRST Day to hunt in Modern Gun Season

Have killed deer with IT every legal season since I got it.

ATST I really like and use these ALSO

30-06
270 WIN

284 Win

6.5X55

300 WM......... Killed this FIRST DAY to hunt it.

There are several rifles/cartridges that cover the bases for hunters WHERE they hunt.

The 7 RM will cover ANY WHERE, ANY GAME you hunt.

Jerry
AN ADDENDUM:

AS Long as I have this:

6.5 X 55 aka Swede

OR

This....> 270 Win, diff from my 06

** I will never have a 6.5 Cueermoor or 6 Cueermoor. They have NOTHING to offer me.

Jerry
Posted By: ERK Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/05/21
I would pick up my 700 bdl in 300 win mag and not look back. Edk
I guess my 1957 Win. featherweight in 270 .
Posted By: jay Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/05/21
Try to use a different rifle and caliber every year.
This year will be 3 that get taken out:
Kimber Montana -708
Remington 760 - 300 Savage
Winchester 1886 - 33 Winchester
My Dad and my Grandfather were one gun guys. I often wonder what happened to me.
Mike

My Dad was also a 1 Rifle guy, 760 30-06 till 1990. He saw me kill with a 243 and shoot crows with a 270 in the 80s.

Before he passed he had a 243 and 270 C F rifles. smile. I helped him. LOL

Jerry
My 257 Weatherby vanguard with a Leupold vx111
Mike

My Dad was also a 1 Rifle guy, 760 30-06 till 1990. He saw me kill with a 243 and shoot crows with a 270 in the 80s.

Before he passed he had a 243 and 270 C F rifles. smile. I helped him. LOL

Jerry

Dad was a 7600 Carbine guy. He felt it was the end all be all.
<[[[Some have forgotten or REFUSE to accept that in a Democracy the MAJORITY rules NOT minorities !!!!!!!!!]]]]>

But some have also forgotten, we do not live in a democracy, We live in a Republic!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
My days of traveling long distances to hunt big game are pretty much over. Not that I can't, I've just shot what I want to shoot and am happy hunting local whitetails. That makes the choice easy for me. I'd keep my Mexican Mauser custom in 7mm Mauser. It can easily handle any deer hunting or hog hunting I'll likely do in the future. And should the chance for something larger arise, I'd be comfortable that the Little Mauser would handle anything that should come along.
Nice Mauser. Looks like a very handy rifle.
Posted By: jwall Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
<[[[Some have forgotten or REFUSE to accept that in a Democracy the MAJORITY rules NOT minorities !!!!!!!!!]]]]>

But some have also forgotten, we do not live in a democracy, We live in a Republic!

Your point is ?

Elected by Democracy Voting citizens.

Jerry
Simply this: the majority does not always win.
Also, those people elected to “represent us” have forgotten or choose to ignore their obligations and responsibilities. They would rather work the system and make themselves wealthy and more powerful.
Not sure of the answers, but the current situation is unacceptable and untenable.
Posted By: MGunns Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
My Remington 700 cdl in 35 Whelen. Chopped to 21 inches, gunmetal cerakote and zeiss 3-9x40.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
My days of traveling long distances to hunt big game are pretty much over. Not that I can't, I've just shot what I want to shoot and am happy hunting local whitetails. That makes the choice easy for me. I'd keep my Mexican Mauser custom in 7mm Mauser. It can easily handle any deer hunting or hog hunting I'll likely do in the future. And should the chance for something larger arise, I'd be comfortable that the Little Mauser would handle anything that should come along.

Hey friend, That rifle looks really nice to me. I'm sure it servers you very well.
Also, those people elected to “represent us” have forgotten or choose to ignore their obligations and responsibilities. They would rather work the system and make themselves wealthy and more powerful.
Not sure of the answers, but the current situation is unacceptable and untenable.

You sound lost. I believe you're looking for the Hunters Campfire
Posted By: zcm82 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by moosemike
My Dad and my Grandfather were one gun guys. I often wonder what happened to me.

I have an uncle that's a 1 gun guy like that. He used an old 788 in 308 for 20-ish years until it got stolen. He bought a 336 in 30-30 as a replacement and has been using that for 30+ years now on all his whitetail, black bear, and 1 moose.
Originally Posted by moosemike

You sound lost. I believe you're looking for the Hunters Campfire

I wasn’t lost, just responded to someone else’s posting and questions.
Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled program.
For me it would be my 7mm RM built on an FN commercial action by Mark Penrod and John Mercer with a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10. I’ve got lots of other rifles, but this one just seems to be the one I almost always grab and go with. Shoots great and just feels right to me.

Posted By: JPro Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
That's a handsome FN. I like the somewhat closed grip angle as well. See so many custom Mausers with open grips that just don't feel right to me.
Being left handed, I'd likely go with my tikka t3 ss 3006. I recently replaced the factory stock with a B&C medalist. My favorite optic right now is a Stener GS3 2x10x42.
Posted By: AKduck Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/06/21
Barrett FC 270
Out of what I currently own would be my 30-06 if we are talking grizzly in the mix.
Posted By: ChipM Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/07/21
My father was a one gun guy as well, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

I keep on chasing the one gun unicorn and probably will forever. For now it's a Weatherby Mark V SS Carbine in 7-08 with a B&C Stock and Leupold 2.5x8. For the Northeast, deer, bear and if ever drawn for a moose permit it's ideal. With that said, I have a couple of others that may take a walk in the woods this year

Rifle
Caliber
Scope

That's Easy---Browning-Belgium-Safari --Grade--30-06---3.5x-10x Zeiss Scope
Posted By: LJB3 Re: If you had to pick just ONE - 10/09/21
Winchester Model 70, Super grade stainless
Cal. 30-06
Swarovski 3-10×42
A lot of nice and practical rifles here.

A few things I noticed. All but just a few of the rifles listed have a quality synthetic stock or a wood stock, probably close to an equal amount between the two. A few were plastic factory stocks.

Chartridge choices across the board were very practical as well except for a couple 6.5’s😀😀

And lastly, the hunters here must not hang out on the optics forum much. I counted what people listed as there first choice and what I could identify that wasn’t listed. This included 75 rifles, (some I was unable to identify the scope or it wasn’t stated) of the 75 rifles these are the scopes listed:

37 have Leupold scopes,
10 Zeiss (mostly Conquest),
4 Kahles,
4 Nightforce,
4 Bushnell,
4 Super Snipers
3 Swarovski
3 Burris

Other brands less than 3. And to think I’ve sold off all my Leupolds because I thought they were no good.
© 24hourcampfire