Home
Posted By: alibi Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
I was not present when it happened. My mom had a misfire, barely dimpled primer. She was able to rack another shell and fill her tag. I was able to duplicate it by lifting the bolt handle 10* or so. If it’s not 100 % down it will misfire. Has anyone else encountered this?
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
What caliber? My 300blk was prone to misfires until I adjusted the headspace.
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
What caliber? My 300blk was prone to misfires until I adjusted the headspace.

Yep. I know two people that had misfires with them in 300 BO.
Both had to go back to Ruger.

I haven’t had any misfires with any of mine.
Posted By: alibi Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
It’s a muddy girl youth .243. I was able to simulate it while dry firing my predator .243 also. I’ll have to wait until I can find more shells for further tests.
Originally Posted by alibi
It’s a muddy girl youth .243. I was able to simulate it while dry firing my predator .243 also. I’ll have to wait until I can find more shells for further tests.

Excuse my confusion, but how does one simulate a misfire while dry firing?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Excuse my confusion, but how does one simulate a misfire while dry firing?

Yep. WTH ???
Did it the same as the problem rifle but without a shell in it. Lift your bolt up 10-15*, depress trigger and watch and listen. The offending rifle and my rifle acted the same but I don’t have any shells left for live fire with mine.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
No surprise if bolt isn't down.

Exactly how I do my bolt action guns when ready to store. Lift bolt, pull trigger and bolt shuts as firing pin falls.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
Lots of reports of that in hunting situations. Not just the Ruger. Any bolt that does not lock with the safety can be bumped up unnoticed.
Someone on Facebook was overcomplicating looking for the cause on a custom 280AI.
If the bolt isn't down, the energy will be directed there before the primer.
Posted By: drover Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
As per Kenmi the spring energy to the primer is decreased when the bolt is not fully closed. You can duplicate the same thing using practically any bolt action rifle.
The other thing to consider is that you do not want the cartridge the fire with the bolt only partially closed - consequences could be diastrous. It doesn't seem to be as much a rifle problem as it is a user error.

drover
@KenMi @drover

That is the same conclusion I was coming to. Loss of firing pin energy as it’s camming the bolt into battery. This is the first I’ve come across this. Basically a safety feature. I’m most familiar with 700 type bolts and triggers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
I’ve somehow acquired the habit of using my trigger finger to check that the bolt is fully closed, plus I often use the Indian carry, which is the rifle cradled in the crook of my left arm, with my thumb crooked over the bolt knob. That carry method leaves my right hand free while permitting me to pivot the rifle to avoid stuff in the way. Does get tiring with a heavy one.

My Mom didn’t hunt. Lucky you!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
The non locking 700s work the same as do Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Ruger and many others if bolt doesn't lock or is on fire.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
Another pat on the Tikka's back.
Never messed with a Ruger American, but have experienced it with
other rifles, and no of others who have also.

My interest now is only guns that lock the bolt.
Sure there are wirkaronds. Techniques, to accomadate bad design.

PS. Always hated the need to go off safe to unload,
untill I bought a 700 that didn't unlock the bolt.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
Some use a rubber band to keep the bolt down. If a quick reload is needed the band will easily snap when operating the bolt
Posted By: ERK Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
I’m gonna be 69 years old in about a month and have never had this problem. When stand hunting I never fully close the bolt until ready to shoot. I don’t trust safeties. Guns are not supposed to fire unless bolt is fully down. Edk
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
I would think, that at some point the shooter has some responsibility to be competent to load, chamber a live round into battery, and fire. Difficult, yes, but do-able. Otherwise we will end up like the auto industry, with seat belts, full airbags, auto collision avoidance programs, back-up cameras, roll over protection, auto on and off headlights, anti skid , anti tailgating and so on.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/10/21
I just bought one in 300 BO for $10 bucks at a LGS. 😁 I had gotten a nice gift certificate when I retired so I used that and it was on the Second Amendment sales tax holiday weekend so saved another 7% there too.
I’ve loaded some ammo but haven’t shot it yet so I’ll have to be alert for that problem.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/11/21
I was not present when it happened. My mom had a misfire, barely dimpled primer. She was able to rack another shell and fill her tag. I was able to duplicate it by lifting the bolt handle 10* or so. If it’s not 100 % down it will misfire. Has anyone else encountered this?
Yup... One guy brought in his Ruger sayin' he's getting misfires... I checked it out.. All good. He comes back, sez the same thing.. I got a box of rounds, sat him down at my shooting bench and watched how he worked the rifle.. I noticed his hand rode up a bit on the wrist of the stock and the hand came into contact with the bolt handle and moved it up just a hair...

I showed him what that does, and he was plenty embarrassed...
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
My cousin had two misfires on deer this month. Same day even. He is way more patient than me because I would have wrapped that sumbitch around a tree.

I will ask if he fugged up and didn't have the handle all the way down.

Weird though that lots of people are having the same issue with the same gun.
Posted By: goalie Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
I really like my Savage lightweight hunter and Howa safeties.

Locking the bolt on "full" safe, allowing the bolt to move in the other "safe" and fire.

3 position safety > 2 position safety.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
Fifty rounds through mine. No problems so far but when these cases are resized, I’m going to make sure that I don’t move the shoulder too much.
I put a Timmey trigger in it a couple day ago. Big difference.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Another pat on the Tikka's back.
Never messed with a Ruger American, but have experienced it with
other rifles, and no of others who have also.

My interest now is only guns that lock the bolt.
Sure there are wirkaronds. Techniques, to accomadate bad design.

PS. Always hated the need to go off safe to unload,
untill I bought a 700 that didn't unlock the bolt.

And yet- not everyone is in love with Tikka's safety-

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/lo...n-at-all-of-the-safety-mechanism.292692/
Check that the cast dual cocking piece didn't crack & break like mine did on about round #35 fired on a short action American Predator. It caused a "dud" without a primer strike initially. And then intermittent firing or light strikes. Not a confidence inspiring event! This is a known defect on the initial short action Americans/RPR models and has recently been replaced w/ a new design on the Precision Rifle short actions (same action as the American I believe). There are companies that make a machined (not cast) replacement. https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruger-precision-american-rifle-firing-pin-shroud-retainer/ Anarchy says the Ruger part can fail at around 2,000 firings. Mine broke on the upper portion where it's sloped and the thinnest. I'm thinking about replacing the new parts Ruger put back in on Warranty, as they appear the same as the part which broke. I had not heard about this until it happened to me despite reading many reviews. Definitely a poor design or materials problem which should have been foreseen. Good Luck! -Mark
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Fifty rounds through mine. No problems so far but when these cases are resized, I’m going to make sure that I don’t move the shoulder too much.
I put a Timmey trigger in it a couple day ago. Big difference.

This ^^ If you are reloading are these folks squeezing that brass down just a bit too much ? I figured this our when I bought a Hornady comparator. Otherwise, is this happening with factory ammo ?? I can see it while wearing gloves in the winter. No gloves and warm weather then maybe it needs to go back to the factory.

kwg
My .243 has been 100% reliable so far . I have had it since they first came out and have no idea how many rounds it has through it . It's my bad weather rifle because of the cost . I wish they would make one in .250 Savage or 7x57 .
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Ruger American misfire? - 10/31/21
My guess in the 300 BO is that there are some very slight dimensional differences in base to shoulder measurements with various factory loads. Good results with one load and misfires with another indicates to me that case could at least be part of the problem.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Ruger American misfire? - 11/01/21

That’s a savage rifle, not a ruger.
© 24hourcampfire