Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Nickle plated Brass - 10/27/21
i have a rifle that if very difficult to close the bolt on loaded rounds using nickle plated brass, spent cases extract just fine. it does not have this issue with regular brass. does this make sense?
Posted By: mathman Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/27/21
All brass sized the same way/amount?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/27/21

It kinda makes sense - the coefficient of friction between nickel/steel and brass/steel is 50% higher. All other things being equal - e.g. sizing of case body and headspace.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
If the coefficient of friction is playing any significant role in how easy it is to close the bolt your cases are oversize.

I'd be inclined to look at sizing as a potential issue here. Is it factory loads or reloads?

If reloads, were they fired in this rifle?

Are they perhaps over length? Or bulged at the case mouth from overcrimping? Or perhaps this batch is a bit out of spec, such as on head size or extractor groove depth. What action is it ? PF or CRF bolt action for example?

You could try painting one up with a Sharpie and then carefully chambering it, to see if you can find any points where it is a bit tight.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
factory loads or relaods, they all do the same thing
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

It kinda makes sense - the coefficient of friction between nickel/steel and brass/steel is 50% higher. All other things being equal - e.g. sizing of case body and headspace.

You sure about that? I think nickel has a lower coefficient of friction than brass.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Nickle brass sucks! Unless you have small base dies, I wouldn't reload it. It has always been my experience it doesn't move as well as regular brass.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Interesting. A friend, who is not a reloader, gave me a bunch of once fired nickle plated brass. I have reloaded it several times without any issues...
Posted By: hanco Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
I’ve reloaded 7mag, no issue that I remember
Posted By: agazain Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Use a dedicated sizing die -- nickel cases scratch the sides. Adjust to fit your chamber...
I reload them fine out of my 7 mag as well. I am wondering. but the 280s range from a bit stiff to close the bolt on to down right TOUGH to close the bolt on. fired cases extract with no issues at all
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
I use nickel brass almost exclusively for my .280 Remington custom Mauser. I've never had a problem with that brass.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I use nickel brass almost exclusively for my .280 Remington custom Mauser. I've never had a problem with that brass.
Paul B.

Winchester or Federal

these are Winchester.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
I bought a hundred Rem. nickle brass for my 7mag in 1994.The brass was great.I know I loaded some of those cases a dozen times.I bought another hundred cases later in the early 2000's and that brass was horrible.Very inconsistent on the hardness of the brass causing big variation of neck tention.Some of it was so hard it was difficult seating bullets.I'm sorry,new brass should be soft.Never bought anymore after that.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Paul B.

Winchester or Federal

these are Winchester.

Mine was Winchester 280. FWIW...
Originally Posted by dan_oz

You could try painting one up with a Sharpie and then carefully chambering it, to see if you can find any points where it is a bit tight.

That's what I'd do first.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I bought a hundred Rem. nickle brass for my 7mag in 1994.The brass was great.I know I loaded some of those cases a dozen times.I bought another hundred cases later in the early 2000's and that brass was horrible.Very inconsistent on the hardness of the brass causing big variation of neck tention.Some of it was so hard it was difficult seating bullets.I'm sorry,new brass should be soft.Never bought anymore after that.

Tried nickle plated brass once. Never again. Stuff is too hard for me.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by southtexas
Interesting. A friend, who is not a reloader, gave me a bunch of once fired nickle plated brass. I have reloaded it several times without any issues...

Same here. No problems. The only real issue with it is its hard on the trimmer. Wears them out twice as fast.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by baldhunter

90's R-P is excellent stuff.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
Get a case length gauge.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016251573?pid=964480
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

i could see that being an issue but not so much with factory loads doing the same thing
Posted By: dale06 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
I’ve loaded nickel brass in 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 25-06, 7mm Rem mag, and 45-70. I use mostly non nickel brass but use nickel in certain guns or to separate different loads.
I’ve never had an issue with it.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Paul B.

Winchester or Federal

these are Winchester.

I use Winchester.
Paul B.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/29/21
I run nickel brass in 2 of my rifles. A custom 6.5-06 (Using 25-06 brass) the other, a Rem700 in a 280 Rem. The 6.5-06 I have to full length resize, the 280 I can get by with only neck sizing. They both are good rifles. Just odd. Maybe some input on this also?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Nickle plated Brass - 10/30/21
I use it for a few rifles and have had no problems at all with either. I will say it’s harder if you’re using a primer pocket “uniformer”.
On pistol cases they resize easier in my experience.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 11/01/21
narrowing it down even further, the issue ONLY occurs when using Winchecter Nickel plated brass. Federal chambers just fine
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Nickle plated Brass - 11/01/21
The only nickel plated brass I’ve ever used has been one batch of Starline.45-70 I got for the purpose of keeping track of certain loads. I never had any particular issues with it.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Nickle plated Brass - 11/01/21
Try running your Win brass through a 45acp carbide die with the decapping rod removed.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Nickle plated Brass - 11/01/21
The only issue I have had with plated cases is shorter case life due to cracking quicker than non plated brass cases.
Posted By: las Re: Nickle plated Brass - 11/01/21
I have re- loaded just a little- 40 rounds? - such brass for my .338WM. Once fired Federal brass, shoulder (not belt) sized - barely bumped back.. No problems at all, excellent accuracy.

I need to reload those things again. I have 3 rounds left.... smile
© 24hourcampfire