Home
Posted By: Live2hunt941 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
If you were going to buy a 22 hornet what rifle would you look for. I think I want one to go along with my super grade model 70 super grade that I inherited from my great grandad If you have one that might be for sale let me know but the main reason for this is to get recommendations on a good choice for my next hornet Thanks in advance
Posted By: JSTUART Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21

Krico
Sako
Brno
Anschutz
Walther

Unless you have set your heart on something new. I personally went with Brno ZKW 465.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Cooper
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
I'd track down a CZ527 while I still could.
Posted By: quackwhore Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
I’ll second the BRNO ZKW 465. I regret selling mine terribly. The finest hornet I’ve ever handled!
Posted By: JustinL1 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
I was browsing Gun Broker the other day for .22 Hornets (I don’t know why lol)- there were a lot of Ruger 77’s in .22 Hornet, they aren’t cheap but I was always curious about those.
Posted By: Millerish Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
CZ for a short term accurate tool, Cooper for life
Posted By: dan_oz Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by quackwhore
I’ll second the BRNO ZKW 465. I regret selling mine terribly. The finest hornet I’ve ever handled!

Yes, they are fine little rifles. Every one I've ever seen or used has been very accurate, including the one I own, and they are very nicely made. I won't part with mine.

Sako L46 is another nice one, of much the same vintage. I'd also have a CZ, Anschuetz or Walther.
Posted By: oilburner350 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I was browsing Gun Broker the other day for .22 Hornets (I don’t know why lol)- there were a lot of Ruger 77’s in .22 Hornet, they aren’t cheap but I was always curious about those.

If I sold my 77/22 Hornet my wife would divorce me. That's her favorite rifle
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
I have a heavy barreled Anschutz that is fantastic. If you can find one, they are worth it.

As a second Hornet, a CZ would be my next as they are very accurate. I wouldn’t turn down a good Sako if it was a deal.
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
I’ve owned a Ruger and won’t own another. Couldn’t get a 4” group at 100 yards with it. Went through all the typical moves to help it and never could improve it Sold it to a buddy of mine who had to have it and thought he would hand load it into tighter groups.... didn’t happen. He sold it after tinkering with it for a year best group was 2”. And in my mind on this caliber it’s unacceptable
Posted By: CBB Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by Ky221

This right here...

Won't be easy to find but get one. My grandfather bought one new. What an amazing little rifle. Handles beautifully, nice walnut stock, excellent trigger, smooth bolt, and an absolute tackdriver.

Worth the wait and the online search to find
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
CZ527 . Not the prettiest of the lot listed but they sure do shoot. Case full of Lil' Gun and a CCI Small Rifle Mag primer ( hat tip to Mule Deer ) will get you 3000 fps+ and fine accuracy.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Never owned one of the Ruger’s but most people I know that have on them usually did quite a bit to make them shoot very well, my vote is for CZ 527 extremely well-built and great shooters right out of the box
https://www.gunsamerica.com/971483284/CZ-527-American-22-Hornet.htm

Imo... pretty good deal. These aren't easy to find
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
A single shot allows you to use pointy bullets like the 40gr VMax and BTs without reducing powder space. I’ve had a Browning LW for over 20 years, and it’s a peach. Mule Deer used a Ruger No.1 for years, then sold it for some reason, now he’s back in the game with some old bolt-action after deciding he couldn’t be happy without one. They are very useful and there’s something very compelling about those tiny cartridges. Very thrifty too; 9-13gr of powder and SP primers for most powders except Lil Gun, which gets CCI 450s.

M70s are way out of my comfort zone price-wise, but I get the idea of having a match for your SG. My notion is that a small-bore should be well, small.
Posted By: blairvt Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by CBB

Damn, over $1000. Seems like I paid $500 for a 223
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
CZ's are pieces of fhuqking schit. There's nothing redeeming in Winchester turnbolts. I've had Numbah Ones in KHorn and they are an easy pass too. I prefer B-78's to Numbah Ones,but no thanks in said chambering. Ruger 77's for me. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My Favoritest 22LR's,ain't upon the smallest receiver. Hint.

My Winchester KHorn in the MacaMillion wearing a Shilen spout,is a piece of fhuqking schit,compared to my 77's chambered same. Hint....................
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
An Anschutz 1433.

My Hornets were made by Savage, a 19H and a 24F.

Niether of which I ever shoot.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Winchester M70 or M54 .22 Hornet. In my case I went with the M54. Call me loony, but I like the M54 best and it shoots like nobody's business.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
i have a Ruger 22 hornet in a laminated stock and is S.S. the barrel is a little heavier too ,i put a 4 x leupold on this fine little rifle and with my handloads my rifle shoots an honest 5 shot groups at 100 yards 1 inch -1 1/4 inch off my cement bench and on my 100 yd. range. its my go to rifle year around on anything bigger than a squirrel , this little rifle hangs loaded in the garage and has killed many animals, i really like the clip system , works just like a Ruger 10-22 clip type.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Last month I, fortunately, picked up a CZ 527 22 Hornet. I say fortunately, as CZ just announced they are dropping the CZ 527 and replacing it with a Euro Trash-looking rifle and are not even chambering the 22 Hornet. Now CZ 527's in any caliber have jumped in price and are few in number. An advantage over the BRNO, Sako, and the other Euro rifles is the availability of affordable magazines.

If cost is an issue, you might consider one of the older Savage bolt-actions, or if your wallets thicker than mine, there are a few Winchester Model 70 and 54's in 22 Hornet.

Others may differ, but the 22 Hornets that I chose to avoid because of too many reports of accuracy issues, were the Ruger 77/22 Hornet, the Kimber, and the Sako Model 78.

Jerry
Posted By: Bighorn Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
CZ 527 in .22 Hornet- this is mine, a sub-.5 MOA shooter with Hornady factory ammo. Death on coyotes and wild turkey!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Best $600 rifle I ever bought. Don’t think these deals are often found though.

Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A single shot allows you to use pointy bullets like the 40gr VMax and BTs without reducing powder space. I’ve had a Browning LW for over 20 years, and it’s a peach. Mule Deer used a Ruger No.1 for years, then sold it for some reason, now he’s back in the game with some old bolt-action after deciding he couldn’t be happy without one. They are very useful and there’s something very compelling about those tiny cartridges. Very thrifty too; 9-13gr of powder and SP primers for most powders except Lil Gun, which gets CCI 450s.

M70s are way out of my comfort zone price-wise, but I get the idea of having a match for your SG. My notion is that a small-bore should be well, small.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by CBB

Damn, over $1000. Seems like I paid $500 for a 223

Yeah probably 10 years ago
Posted By: erich Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/20/21
Don't forget the Browning Micro hunter.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
The Browning Micro's are pieces of fhuqking schit too,due mag constraints(COAL and capacity). Hint.

78's are a bitch to scope correctly,if only due the Goat Fhuqk cited. CZ's schit mags,safety and triggers are fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy you Drooling Fhuqktard's Dumbfhuqkery. A positive headspaced '77 KHorn will reliably shoot in the .4's. I've more than a "few". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Best $600 rifle I ever bought. Don’t think these deals are often found though.

Mine was $695. Pretty good deals.
Posted By: dale06 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Had a couple 77/22 hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Cooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.
Only issue with the Anschutz is that plastic tip bullets will not fit in magazine.
Posted By: erich Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Mine is a Sako Vixen in 222 Rem with a Speer 45gr Spftpoint over 8gr of 800X. Using the 200yard zero for my full power load the light(22H) load is dead on at 100yards. Quiet and effective. Easy to distinguish as the full power load is the big open hollow pointed 52gr Speer varmint bullet.
Posted By: boatboy Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Following
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by dale06
Had a couple 77/2# hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Vooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.
Only issue with the Anschutz is that plastic tip bullets will not fit in magazine.

I love me some Voopers!
Posted By: dale06 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by dale06
Had a couple 77/2# hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Vooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.

I love me some Voopers!

I should have proof read it. Those Voopers are rare.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by Ky221

I like mine, now a K-Hornet.

DF

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Live2hunt941: Over the last 50+ years I have owned MANY different brands of Rifles in 22 Hornet including Ruger (3 models), Winchester (2 models), Anschutz, Kimber and savage.
My conclusion "accuracy can and often will be hard to obtain" with the 22 Hornet. NOT impossible, but hard!
Of all of the 22 Hornets I now own my favorite is a beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B that I bought new years ago and fiddled with on and off for many years until it now finally exhibits acceptable accuracy (1.00" five shot groups at 100 yards with a 6x18 variable Leupold scope).
Personally I would now opt for the much easier to obtain 17 Hornet cartridge/Rifles.
And I must pass along thanks for the CampFirer who suggested years ago that I try "nickel plated (cured the neck tension problems/aspect?) 22 Hornet brass and Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets" to take my Ruger #1-B from being a long time 2.5 M.O.A. Rifle to a 1.0 M.O.A. Rifle.
Best of luck to you with your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just have to ask - what kind of an idiot is "small twig" - he seems to relish dunking his Rifles, scopes and slings into the water of ANY river, pond or lake he can find?
I mean I have NEVER seen that kind of intentionally idiotic abuse of a firearm EVER, in my 65+ years of Hunting with, handling, shooting and caring for firearms!
And I have Hunted in southeast Alaska NUMEROUS times along with a half century of Hunting in the rain of the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains and the rain forests of the Olympic Penninsula.
I have NEVER seen an outdoorsman or Hunter or plinker intentionally put their firearms into the water of a lake, pond, stream or river EVER!
I must contend ONLY an idiot (small twig!) would do such a stupid thing.
And that is a sad, but informative, commentary on the trustworthiness and state of mind of small twig.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
VarmintGal,

You are simply a Lying Sack Of Clueless Fhuqking Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: blairvt Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Live2hunt941: Over the last 50+ years I have owned MANY different brands of Rifles in 22 Hornet including Ruger (3 models), Winchester (2 models), Anschutz, Kimber and savage.
My conclusion "accuracy can and often will be hard to obtain" with the 22 Hornet. NOT impossible, but hard!
Of all of the 22 Hornets I now own my favorite is a beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B that I bought new years ago and fiddled with on and off for many years until it now finally exhibits acceptable accuracy (1.00" five shot groups at 100 yards with a 6x18 variable Leupold scope).
Personally I would now opt for the much easier to obtain 17 Hornet cartridge/Rifles.
And I must pass along thanks for the CampFirer who suggested years ago that I try "nickel plated (cured the neck tension problems/aspect?) 22 Hornet brass and Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets" to take my Ruger #1-B from being a long time 2.5 M.O.A. Rifle to a 1.0 M.O.A. Rifle.
Best of luck to you with your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just have to ask - what kind of an idiot is "small twig" - he seems to relish dunking his Rifles, scopes and slings into the water of ANY river, pond or lake he can find?
I mean I have NEVER seen that kind of intentionally idiotic abuse of a firearm EVER, in my 65+ years of Hunting with, handling, shooting and caring for firearms!
And I have Hunted in southeast Alaska NUMEROUS times along with a half century of Hunting in the rain of the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains and the rain forests of the Olympic Penninsula.
I have NEVER seen an outdoorsman or Hunter or plinker intentionally put their firearms into the water of a lake, pond, stream or river EVER!
I must contend ONLY an idiot (small twig!) would do such a stupid thing.
And that is a sad, but informative, commentary on the trustworthiness and state of mind of small twig.

Damn, was hoping he was gone for good. This place is so much better without him. block him! All I see is the notice that he is being ignored. Don't waste your time engaging with him
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
My Hornet is a Kimber of Oregon model 82 Custom Classic. I like it! Bought it sometime around 1989, no plans to sell it. It wears a 6x Swarovski scope and will make 1 in 100 yd groups with 45- 46 gr factory ammo. Does not like the lighter bullet loads.
Posted By: iskra Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Confession moment! I'm not a big Hornet fan. Came by my couple of them as "great gun models priced right". To share them here, under impetus of both having been referenced in this Thread.
The CZ, dated in '49 is a really sweet little rifle! Double set triggers function flawlessly. No personal experience shooting!
The Model 54, another gem! Just 'bit massive' for the chambering. The Lyman 48 is one of my favorite receiver sights & well suited to the 54 & 70 Winchester clan in general! Only downside, such leaving horrible 'open wound' if removing! Also not fired and perhaps cause for some greater caution in 'assuming' no feeding problems. My experience as utterly reliable for other chamberings in which I have 54 Models!

For shooting such classic models, better understanding the .22 Hornet impetus. Beyond, .222 just seeming more practical as eclipsing the Hornet round. Sorry if stepping on toes here.

Just my 'opine'!
Best & Happy Thanksgiving!
John

Attached picture R46-3U.jpg
Attached picture R35-2U.jpg
Attached picture R440-2.jpg
Attached picture R440-3U.jpg
Attached picture R440-7.jpg
Posted By: SS336 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
I made my final choice in 2000 when I paid $630 for this used 1885. Made in 1996 according to the serial #. It has been a great rifle and is very accurate.
Probably over paid, at least from what some have paid on here, but after 21 years I don’t care.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by SS336
I made my final choice in 2000 when I paid $630 for this used 1885. Made in 1996 according to the serial #. It has been a great rifle and is very accurate.
Probably over paid, at least from what some have paid on here, but after 21 years I don’t care.

Beautiful. Love that wood.

You done good.

DF
Posted By: SS336 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Thanks for kind words DF. It is a great little rifle.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Ruger 77/22
Posted By: ackleydave Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by erich

I love mine. Too bad that Browning discontinued them. I originally bought it to have made into a .17 or .20AH but did what they tell you not to do and shot it. I have since added a suppressor for even more fun. Someday I may turn it into a K hornet. Dave
Posted By: pete53 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by ackleydave

I love mine. Too bad that Browning discontinued them. I originally bought it to have made into a .17 or .20AH but did what they tell you not to do and shot it. I have since added a suppressor for even more fun. Someday I may turn it into a K hornet. Dave

i did turn my Browning Micro into a 22 K-Hornet ,shoots great !
Posted By: texasjohn Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
I am also a big fan of the .22 Hornet. Did the K-Hornet thing and came back home to the original configuration. I have owned many hornets and finally formed the opinion that if you want good accuracy and good case life stick with rifles built on centerfire actions. The Brno ZKW465 is a particular favorite of mine (I still own three). I have owned and sold Walters, Anschutz and Kimbers on converted rimfire actions. Your Model 70 Supergrade is likely the holly grail of Hornets. I get great accuracy will all of mine current rifles:
Brno ZKWs
CZ 527
Winchester Model 70 (standard grade)
Ruger #1A
Ruger #3 custom
Sedgley 1903 Springfield
Thompson Center TCR 83
BSA Majestic

A Highwall or even a low wall is on my wish list. Had good success with the martini actioned rifles also but let mine go for some reason........
If you want to hotrod the Hornet, go get a .222 or even a .221 Fireball. I load a case full of AA1680 and 35 grain Vmax bullets. Case life is almost unlimited and accuracy is superb. In the field you will not notice that you are not pushing those little pills to the highest possible velocities.............If I were in your shoes, I would look for a Brno ZKW 465. They are fairly easy to find and a "shooter grade" rifle can be had for about 1K. A good price for a pristine example would be about $1400 or so................ good hunting. I will trade you a ZKW for that Model 70 SG..............................
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
That one’s a bit nicer than mine, but not foo much. I had the pick of three of the four my dealer had. One of the counter guys got the pick of the litter. Musta been a smoker!
Posted By: dale06 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
I just bought an 1885 in 22h, it’s a shot show special and has great wood, very similar to the one above. Seems accurate but I have some fired case extraction issues with it.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
I would bet my left nut that my CZ will outshoot any Ruger 77 no matter how many shims are added.

***Hint.***
Posted By: pete53 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
these 22 Hornet rifles all sound very neat ,i don`t have a picture of this combo but i was given this by a dear friend who was a great machinist ,ammo factory manager/ engineer , O/U Weatherby 22 K-Hornet /12 gauge that he " Jonny Bell " rebuilt , made and machined the custom parts he needed , this O/U does shoot well too.
Posted By: blairvt Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by pete53
these 22 Hornet rifles all sound very neat ,i don`t have a picture of this combo but i was given this by a dear friend who was a great machinist ,ammo factory manager/ engineer , O/U Weatherby 22 K-Hornet /12 gauge that he " Jonny Bell " rebuilt , made and machined the custom parts he needed , this O/U does shoot well too.

would love to see a pic
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by pete53

would love to see a pic

Indeed.
Posted By: erich Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/22/21
It is quite common in Europe to have rifle inserts for shotgun barrels. They are called "Einstecklaufe" in German and Krieghauf is a maker and there are a number of others.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/23/21
I'm a Cooper nut when it comes to small calibers.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Cooper M38 Classic

Cooper Test Target

100 yds. @ PSC Range.

Top: Cooper M38, 22 Hornet

Middle: Cooper M38 Montana Varminter, 19 Calhoon (19-22 hornet)

Bottom: Cooper M38 Classic, 17 Ackley Hornet!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: SS336 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/23/21
Wow, geedubya, that Cooper is one accurate rifle!
Posted By: geedubya Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by SS336
Wow, geedubya, that Cooper is one accurate rifle!

I have owned a couple dozen Coopers in the Single Shot iterations, M38, M21, M22.

without exception they all were capable of greater accuracy than the nut squeezing the trigger could accomplish.
A few more examples

Cooper Varminter, 20 Vartarg (20-221 Fireball)

3 shots @ 100 yds.

5 shots @ 100 yds.

10 shots @ 100 yds.

Cooper Varmint Extreme Lefty, 223 Remington

Primer Test,

IIRC these groups were fired with +/- 5 minute intervals between groups from a barrel that had been cleaned to bare metal with JB bore paste/Kroil, then fouled (+/- 10 shots). No cleaning between groups.

Fouling shots =, 1-10

Cooper M21 Classic, Tac-20 (20-222 RemMag)

100 yds.

Cooper M22 Phoenix, 22-250 Rem

100 yds.

Cooper M22 Classic, 6mm BR Remington

Load Development.

Anywho, perhaps you catch my drift!

ya!

GWB

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/24/21
I like Coopers, too

Their factory targets are not shot at 100 yds, although those guns are accurate at a hundred.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by ackleydave

Have played with both.

IMO, the K-Hornet is mo better than the std version.

DF
Posted By: JimH Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Not in the same class as a Cooper, but the CZ seems to want to shoot-this is the only load I've tried so far.

Attached picture 51706073251_6a696cf608_w.jpg
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by JimH
Not in the same class as a Cooper, but the CZ seems to want to shoot-this is the only load I've tried so far.

Coopers are accurate, but those one hole factory targets reportedly aren’t shot at a hundred, more like 40 yds or so from what I’ve read.

Coopers also shoot tight groups at a hundred, but so does your CZ.

CZ bores thru a Hawkeye look about as slick as custom barrels. And they’re generally pretty accurate.

I have Cooper snd CZ rifles, like them both.

DF
Posted By: Teal Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
The Cooper targets I saw at Sheels always said "40 yards" or whatever. Wasn't ever 100
Posted By: drover Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by Teal
The Cooper targets I saw at Sheels always said "40 yards" or whatever. Wasn't ever 100

I think your memory is playing tricks on you, I have never seen a Cooper test target with the yardage shot on it. I have owned a lot of Coopers through the years and have spent a great deal of time at their facility, the old facility indoor test range was nearer 40 yards but at the new facility it is a true 50 yards. But nowhere on the test targets does it give the distance - when questioned about their accuracy they refer you to their warranty which is 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 100 yards for most of the centerfires, 5 shots into 1/2" for the rimfires. I can't recall the numbers but they have a different (larger) group size for their ultra-lights and some of the large magnum.

Take a look at the factory test targets GW has posted - none of them have any yardage figures on them. The test target group is a good advertising piece by Cooper because most folks assume that they are shot at 100 yards, but in their defense I have never owned a Cooper that did not meet the factory guarantee and in most cases do better.

drover
Posted By: RickcNY Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Just curious why you say CZ for a short term?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by drover

I think your memory is playing tricks on you, I have never seen a Cooper test target with the yardage shot on it. I have owned a lot of Coopers through the years and have spent a great deal of time at their facility, the old facility indoor test range was nearer 40 yards but at the new facility it is a true 50 yards. But nowhere on the test targets does it give the distance - when questioned about their accuracy they refer you to their warranty which is 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 100 yards for most of the centerfires, 5 shots into 1/2" for the rimfires. I can't recall the numbers but they have a different (larger) group size for their ultra-lights and some of the large magnum.

Take a look at the factory test targets GW has posted - none of them have any yardage figures on them. The test target group is a good advertising piece by Cooper because most folks assume that they are shot at 100 yards, but in their defense I have never owned a Cooper that did not meet the factory guarantee and in most cases do better.

drover

I guess I was assuming 100 as the usual rifle target. I noticed they never specified. I guess not specifying is ok, letting guys like me just assume.

Good rifles, nonetheless.

I like mine.

DF
Posted By: geedubya Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I guess I was assuming 100 as the usual rifle target. I noticed they never specified. I guess not specifying is ok, letting guys like me just assume.

Good rifles, nonetheless.

I like mine.

DF

It was my understanding the Cooper test targets were shot at 40 yds. with a 36X scope. I could be mistaken or mis-remembering.

The targets that I posted were shot at 100 yds. at the PSC range, as that is the distance at which I shoot when I'm developing loads to see what the rifle likes.

The OP asked:

Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
If you were going to buy a 22 hornet what rifle would you look for. Thanks in advance

My choice was based on my experience with rifles chambered for "small caliber" cartridges.

YMMV

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Johnly1923 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/27/21
I have 3 Ruger 77/22 Hornets, two sporters and one HB.
The HB went to CPC and had the barrel set back and K'ed, it will shoot 40gr. Nosler bullets at 3100+ fps and shoot 1 1/4" groups at 200 yds.
One of the sporters is a good shooter with a 40 gr. Nosler and 300-MP powder at 2900 fps.
The other sporter is a challenge, after all sorts of load combinations I have found one load it shoots, the 35 gr. Hornady V-max pushed by 2400.
I don't like the bullet, so this rifle will one day make a trip to CPC for an overhaul.

Then I have my collection of original Clackamas vintage Kimber Super America 82 Hornets, a straight 22 Hornet, a 22 K-Hornet, and a 17 Ackley Hormet.
More like jewels you take out of the safe to show friends, then put them safely away.

Due to the small case capacity, 22 Hornet loads seem to prefer small pistol primers over small rifle primers.

If you really want a nice Hornet class rifle, without the brass issues and magazine length constraints, the 221 Fireball might be worth considering.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/28/21
Originally Posted by Johnly1923

Due to the small case capacity, 22 Hornet loads seem to prefer small pistol primers over small rifle primers.

That has been conventional wisdom for a long time. With some of the slower powders, the CCI 450 actually performed better.

Here's a link to a K-Hornet thread I started in '16. Lots of BS, but also some good info. Check it out.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11390994/1

DF
Posted By: HawkI Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/28/21

Every target I've seen posted along with a Cooper rifle were at 50 yards, and I've seen more than one...the yardage and the rifle, at more than 2 Scheels stores....
Never at 100.

If this thread, which I haven't read all the way, is about the 22 Hornet I would go Browning A Bolt Micro then a CZ for decent shooters.

Anschutz probably bests them all...if not obvious for the reasons.
Posted By: Millerish Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/29/21
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Just curious why you say CZ for a short term?

RickNY, what I meant by this is that finding a CZ in 22 hornet will be a pretty easy task, they are pretty common.

Millerish
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/29/21
I like my CZ .22 K-Hornet. It shoots really well and the barrel looks pretty slick thru the Hawkeye.

I just shot it a bunch last weekend. A look down the tube with the scope, just about no fouling. I'm sure I Dyna Bore Coated it, which doesn't hurt.

DF
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: 22 hornet choices - 11/30/21
I had a very pretty TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, but never could get it to shoot better than 1.5" at 100 yards with it's best loads. Sold it and bought a Ruger No 1 B that is a real tack driver with a case full of Lil Gun (thanks Mule Deer). I love the lack of noise and recoil. Being able to see tiny shards of clay pigeons disappear when you hit them is very satisfying.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet choices - 12/01/21
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
I had a very pretty TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, but never could get it to shoot better than 1.5" at 100 yards with it's best loads. Sold it and bought a Ruger No 1 B that is a real tack driver with a case full of Lil Gun (thanks Mule Deer). I love the lack of noise and recoil. Being able to see tiny shards of clay pigeons disappear when you hit them is very satisfying.

It is a fun ctg to shoot.

You using CCI 450 primers?

DF
© 24hourcampfire