Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JimH
Not in the same class as a Cooper, but the CZ seems to want to shoot-this is the only load I've tried so far.

Coopers are accurate, but those one hole factory targets reportedly aren’t shot at a hundred, more like 40 yds or so from what I’ve read.

Coopers also shoot tight groups at a hundred, but so does your CZ.

CZ bores thru a Hawkeye look about as slick as custom barrels. And they’re generally pretty accurate.

I have Cooper snd CZ rifles, like them both.

DF

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Cooper targets I saw at Sheels always said "40 yards" or whatever. Wasn't ever 100

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Teal
The Cooper targets I saw at Sheels always said "40 yards" or whatever. Wasn't ever 100

I think your memory is playing tricks on you, I have never seen a Cooper test target with the yardage shot on it. I have owned a lot of Coopers through the years and have spent a great deal of time at their facility, the old facility indoor test range was nearer 40 yards but at the new facility it is a true 50 yards. But nowhere on the test targets does it give the distance - when questioned about their accuracy they refer you to their warranty which is 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 100 yards for most of the centerfires, 5 shots into 1/2" for the rimfires. I can't recall the numbers but they have a different (larger) group size for their ultra-lights and some of the large magnum.

Take a look at the factory test targets GW has posted - none of them have any yardage figures on them. The test target group is a good advertising piece by Cooper because most folks assume that they are shot at 100 yards, but in their defense I have never owned a Cooper that did not meet the factory guarantee and in most cases do better.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious why you say CZ for a short term?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by drover

I think your memory is playing tricks on you, I have never seen a Cooper test target with the yardage shot on it. I have owned a lot of Coopers through the years and have spent a great deal of time at their facility, the old facility indoor test range was nearer 40 yards but at the new facility it is a true 50 yards. But nowhere on the test targets does it give the distance - when questioned about their accuracy they refer you to their warranty which is 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 100 yards for most of the centerfires, 5 shots into 1/2" for the rimfires. I can't recall the numbers but they have a different (larger) group size for their ultra-lights and some of the large magnum.

Take a look at the factory test targets GW has posted - none of them have any yardage figures on them. The test target group is a good advertising piece by Cooper because most folks assume that they are shot at 100 yards, but in their defense I have never owned a Cooper that did not meet the factory guarantee and in most cases do better.

drover

I guess I was assuming 100 as the usual rifle target. I noticed they never specified. I guess not specifying is ok, letting guys like me just assume.

Good rifles, nonetheless.

I like mine.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I guess I was assuming 100 as the usual rifle target. I noticed they never specified. I guess not specifying is ok, letting guys like me just assume.

Good rifles, nonetheless.

I like mine.

DF

It was my understanding the Cooper test targets were shot at 40 yds. with a 36X scope. I could be mistaken or mis-remembering.

The targets that I posted were shot at 100 yds. at the PSC range, as that is the distance at which I shoot when I'm developing loads to see what the rifle likes.

The OP asked:

Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
If you were going to buy a 22 hornet what rifle would you look for. Thanks in advance

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My choice was based on my experience with rifles chambered for "small caliber" cartridges.

YMMV

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 3 Ruger 77/22 Hornets, two sporters and one HB.
The HB went to CPC and had the barrel set back and K'ed, it will shoot 40gr. Nosler bullets at 3100+ fps and shoot 1 1/4" groups at 200 yds.
One of the sporters is a good shooter with a 40 gr. Nosler and 300-MP powder at 2900 fps.
The other sporter is a challenge, after all sorts of load combinations I have found one load it shoots, the 35 gr. Hornady V-max pushed by 2400.
I don't like the bullet, so this rifle will one day make a trip to CPC for an overhaul.

Then I have my collection of original Clackamas vintage Kimber Super America 82 Hornets, a straight 22 Hornet, a 22 K-Hornet, and a 17 Ackley Hormet.
More like jewels you take out of the safe to show friends, then put them safely away.

Due to the small case capacity, 22 Hornet loads seem to prefer small pistol primers over small rifle primers.

If you really want a nice Hornet class rifle, without the brass issues and magazine length constraints, the 221 Fireball might be worth considering.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Johnly1923

Due to the small case capacity, 22 Hornet loads seem to prefer small pistol primers over small rifle primers.

That has been conventional wisdom for a long time. With some of the slower powders, the CCI 450 actually performed better.

Here's a link to a K-Hornet thread I started in '16. Lots of BS, but also some good info. Check it out.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11390994/1

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Every target I've seen posted along with a Cooper rifle were at 50 yards, and I've seen more than one...the yardage and the rifle, at more than 2 Scheels stores....
Never at 100.

If this thread, which I haven't read all the way, is about the 22 Hornet I would go Browning A Bolt Micro then a CZ for decent shooters.

Anschutz probably bests them all...if not obvious for the reasons.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Just curious why you say CZ for a short term?

RickNY, what I meant by this is that finding a CZ in 22 hornet will be a pretty easy task, they are pretty common.

Millerish

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my CZ .22 K-Hornet. It shoots really well and the barrel looks pretty slick thru the Hawkeye.

I just shot it a bunch last weekend. A look down the tube with the scope, just about no fouling. I'm sure I Dyna Bore Coated it, which doesn't hurt.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/29/21.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a very pretty TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, but never could get it to shoot better than 1.5" at 100 yards with it's best loads. Sold it and bought a Ruger No 1 B that is a real tack driver with a case full of Lil Gun (thanks Mule Deer). I love the lack of noise and recoil. Being able to see tiny shards of clay pigeons disappear when you hit them is very satisfying.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
I had a very pretty TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, but never could get it to shoot better than 1.5" at 100 yards with it's best loads. Sold it and bought a Ruger No 1 B that is a real tack driver with a case full of Lil Gun (thanks Mule Deer). I love the lack of noise and recoil. Being able to see tiny shards of clay pigeons disappear when you hit them is very satisfying.

It is a fun ctg to shoot.

You using CCI 450 primers?

DF

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,075
Posts18,521,731
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.