Home
Posted By: Igloo Rem 700 SPS stainless vs blued - 01/11/22
What do you guys who have had them think? If all else was the same, is it worth paying about $150 more for the stainless version? Has it held up okay for you?

I've had the matte version but never the stainless.
I think the stainless are worth the extra price. I have a couple of stainless Remington's, and a few with what I believe they call the Rynite coating. I prefer both of those types to the matte or blue finish.
I think the coating is Trynite, with Rynite being a synthetic stock they used back in the early 90's. I may be wrong.

As for me, I think an SS barreled action is worth the extra $100-150. We have a lot of humidity down here.
I don’t buy hunting rifles that aren’t stainless. My opinion is that it’s worth it. Cerakote over blued steel isn’t a substitute, even if that’s what the manufacturers claim and want to throw at us.
I detest the notion of a coating over CM steel being "better than stainless". If companies can turn out CM steel AR barrels that are nitrided, why can't bolt gun manufacturers do the same? At least it coats the interior.
Originally Posted by JPro
I think the coating is Trynite, with Rynite being a synthetic stock they used back in the early 90's. I may be wrong.

I think you're right. I couldn't remember what they called it. It has been a good finish.
Stainless are okay but they have that rough azz finish that I cannot stand.

Looks like the bead blasted it with road rock.

Not sure why they couldn't do a smooth finish like they did on the BDL SS rifles.
Are we comparing apples to apples? Has the cost diff. gone to $150. That sounds really high. I could be out of the loop, &/or Remington prices are really volatile now.

Even though, SS has a lot of advantages.
I have both. One is a stainless .243 and the other a blue .243. Both are from the same Remington era (~2012-2014). Accuracy wise, they are both about the same. Accuracy is usually in the 1/2 - 3/4 MOA range for 3 shots. Finish on the stainless is much smoother than the blued model. The bolt on the stainless model came jeweled and runs much smoother. It also does not need the firing pin hole bushed like the blued model does. However, the stainless model had a bunch of metal filings in the chamber/receiver area that took forever to remove. It almost looked like ball powder but was metal. Interior barrel finish on the stainless model is smoother and cleans up easier.

If I had my choice, it would be the stainless model.
For years I insisted on stainless on my hunting rifles, but finally figured out that I take such good care of my stuff, that I've never had a blued rifle rust on me. Even after hunting in the snow or rain. I still like stainless, but I doubt I'd pay $150 more for stainless over blue in the same rifle.
I think the price difference is worth it. I have 2 Remington 700’s that are stainless, but the BDL does get some rust in one area. I bought the gun used as I wanted a .300 WSM about 9 years ago. There is a place where the stock rubbed the finish to bare metal. I saved the spot down so it no longer rusts, but I do have to clean it thoroughly after my hunting trip. Now my other one that is a SPS, no issues at all. I’ve hunted with guys that had the non stainless SPS and they did get some rust spots on them. I’ll be honest, I don’t know how well they maintained their rifles to begin with though. Now my older 700 BDL DM that is blued never a spot of rust on it.
Thanks for the info guys, especially the feedback on SPS Stainless. I was a bit skeptical after actually seeing that it looks like...well, yeah, like it was blasted with gravel. Still, as noted the bolt is nicely jeweled and all else looks well.

As for the price yes its apples to apples but this Canadian pricing. Between the exchange rate and the coof and shortages, kinda is what it is right now. Still cheaper than most other stainless rifles, even if only a few bucks. Next year though, I hear the mark up is going to be something.

I like actual blued rifles, the matte finish on the SPS and ADL models seems to rust far too easily to suit my taste so in a 700 stainless works for me.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Stainless are okay but they have that rough azz finish that I cannot stand.

Looks like the bead blasted it with road rock.

Not sure why they couldn't do a smooth finish like they did on the BDL SS rifles.

I agree. No idea what they were thinking on those.

I have the BDL SS in 7 RSAUM. I think it's one of the best I've seen from Remington. If I were a one gun hunter I would be very proud to have it as my only rifle.
Those do look awfully nice.

Another option in any case might be to have the rifle nitrided, which I am thinking about.
Ive got a couple and yes, I think its worth it.
Originally Posted by Igloo
What do you guys who have had them think? If all else was the same, is it worth paying about $150 more for the stainless version? Has it held up okay for you?

Other than when I run across a nice, older, blued rifle, any new hunting rifle I buy is SS. Weather aside, every SS bbl I own cleans easier (DBC'd or not) than its blued version--M700's, M77's, M70's, 10/22's, etc.
Thanks for the info guys, especially the feedback on SPS Stainless. I was a bit skeptical after actually seeing that it looks like...well, yeah, like it was blasted with gravel. Still, as noted the bolt is nicely jeweled and all else looks well.

As for the price yes its apples to apples but this Canadian pricing. Between the exchange rate and the coof and shortages, kinda is what it is right now. Still cheaper than most other stainless rifles, even if only a few bucks. Next year though, I hear the mark up is going to be something.

I hear you about the gravel blasted finishes. But the last few years of the original Remington built stainless SPS's are not as rough as the earlier production.
As an added note, the new RemArms M700ADL Matte/Synthetic that have arrived on the store shelves is actually approaching a low satin finish to my eyes on the bluing. The blued finish is more even also.
Oh wow, good to hear that, thank you.

Think I'll have a go at the stainless 700 in 7mm-08. Seems a pretty decent rifle for the money.
I have a Remington M700 SPS stainless model purchased at Whittaker’s Gun Shop in 2018. I immediately sent it to Eddie F. Along with a McMillan Hunter’s Edgefilled stock. He shortened the barrel to 22”, installed a TriggerTech trigger, and bedded it in the McMillan stock. It is currently the most accurate big game rifle (from the bench) that I own. Three shot groups are usually less than a half inch at 100 yds. I’ve shot five shot groups several times that are still in the 3/4” range. That is varmint rifle accuracy from a big game rifle. The purpose of all the above is to let you know that you don’t need to worry about your purchase of a stainless SPS Remington. Absolutely no rust, no cleaning problems, and no mechanical problems. Oh, and what caliber is mine chambered for? 7mm-08.
That’s typically been my preferred route on a sporter: Buy an SS 700 in tupperware, swap the stock, maybe cut the barrel, tune the trigger, and get shooting. I used to buy quite a few off Whittaker’s online used rack.
With reviews like those, it is pretty hard to say no! Sounds like it definitely is worth it over the standard SPS. Which I couldn't find in 7mm-08 anyway.

Done deal, ordered it and some reloading supplies. Will see what it can do next time I am home.

The Weatherby Vanguard I am shooting now really is a shooter, but I just can't really enjoy how it fits me. Small enough complaint but it just ain't there. And finding components for a 6.5 is currently a mofo.
Have you guys dealt with any primary extraction concerns on the 700s or just left it as is if its working?
Have you guys dealt with any primary extraction concerns on the 700s or just left it as is if its working?

Having had 700's since the 1970's, I have never had one extraction problem whatsoever.............and I've had a lot of Remington 700's.
They'll still extract, I gather there's just less mechanical advantage from the camming surfaces on the receiver and bolt handle not touching each other.

But that's a very strong endorsement for the Remington extractor setup all the same.

No change to the extractor on the one described above. If it ever fails, I’ll address it then.

All I have are stainless... 7 of them I think. It rains a lot here in hunting season.

I know the guys who build lots of hunting rifles will say to always use a stainless barrel, even with a blued receiver, because the barrel is the one place where rust/pitting makes a functional difference.

Obviously, I think stainless is worth the extra $150. smile
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

All I have are stainless... 7 of them I think. It rains a lot here in hunting season.

I know the guys who build lots of hunting rifles will say to always use a stainless barrel, even with a blued receiver, because the barrel is the one place where rust/pitting makes a functional difference.

Obviously, I think stainless is worth the extra $150. smile

This reminds me. A long time back I was looking at what people here thought of cerakote and someone said "why would you go with that when what counts is inside? Your bore is more important, just buy stainless" and I had never realized that before...sad as it is to say.

If you have 7 of the Remingtons and they are all holding up, great! After seeing the SPS I was really wondering.
© 24hourcampfire