-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s typically been my preferred route on a sporter: Buy an SS 700 in tupperware, swap the stock, maybe cut the barrel, tune the trigger, and get shooting. I used to buy quite a few off Whittaker’s online used rack.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
With reviews like those, it is pretty hard to say no! Sounds like it definitely is worth it over the standard SPS. Which I couldn't find in 7mm-08 anyway.

Done deal, ordered it and some reloading supplies. Will see what it can do next time I am home.

The Weatherby Vanguard I am shooting now really is a shooter, but I just can't really enjoy how it fits me. Small enough complaint but it just ain't there. And finding components for a 6.5 is currently a mofo.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have you guys dealt with any primary extraction concerns on the 700s or just left it as is if its working?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Igloo
Have you guys dealt with any primary extraction concerns on the 700s or just left it as is if its working?

Having had 700's since the 1970's, I have never had one extraction problem whatsoever.............and I've had a lot of Remington 700's.

Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
They'll still extract, I gather there's just less mechanical advantage from the camming surfaces on the receiver and bolt handle not touching each other.

But that's a very strong endorsement for the Remington extractor setup all the same.

Last edited by Igloo; 01/14/22.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No change to the extractor on the one described above. If it ever fails, I’ll address it then.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you guys who have had them think? If all else was the same, is it worth paying about $150 more for the stainless version? Has it held up okay for you?

I've had the matte version but never the stainless.

All I have are stainless... 7 of them I think. It rains a lot here in hunting season.

I know the guys who build lots of hunting rifles will say to always use a stainless barrel, even with a blued receiver, because the barrel is the one place where rust/pitting makes a functional difference.

Obviously, I think stainless is worth the extra $150. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What do you guys who have had them think? If all else was the same, is it worth paying about $150 more for the stainless version? Has it held up okay for you?

I've had the matte version but never the stainless.

All I have are stainless... 7 of them I think. It rains a lot here in hunting season.

I know the guys who build lots of hunting rifles will say to always use a stainless barrel, even with a blued receiver, because the barrel is the one place where rust/pitting makes a functional difference.

Obviously, I think stainless is worth the extra $150. smile

This reminds me. A long time back I was looking at what people here thought of cerakote and someone said "why would you go with that when what counts is inside? Your bore is more important, just buy stainless" and I had never realized that before...sad as it is to say.

If you have 7 of the Remingtons and they are all holding up, great! After seeing the SPS I was really wondering.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (204guy, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,535
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.