Home
Posted By: mjac Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/21/22
Bolt is occasionally sticking with mild book hand loads and book oal.

Chambers fine but after firing the bolt will lift not quite all the way, then it takes a sharp slap with palm of my hand to operate. I did fire some factory ammo but I didn't note any of it creating the above condition.

I have shot the identical components and loads in two other 7mm08 I own without any problems.

Any thoughts, fixes, etc?
Posted By: drover Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/21/22
1 - Back off of your load a bit and see if the issue goes away

2 - If you are using brass that has been fired in a different rifle then try some virgin brass, the brass fired in a different chamber may not be resized enough at the base or may have developed a "memory" and is not shrinking back to its pre-fired dimension

drover
Or sell it to me, I will figure it out
Posted By: mjac Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by drover

2 - If you are using brass that has been fired in a different rifle then try some virgin brass, the brass fired in a different chamber may not be resized enough at the base or may have developed a "memory" and is not shrinking back to its pre-fired dimension

drover

Full disclosure; the rifle is new to me and I do not have any good load developed.

I started with some mid range load data (many powders) that I had used during load development of another 708 I have.

Nothing near max and with full length sized brass. Brass that yes, was fired before.

Now, with this bolt issue, load development has been halted.

Would you suggest I chose one powder and back down a bit? Pending the result, move to another brass?

Thanks
Posted By: mjac Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Or sell it to me, I will figure it out

Maybe........
Define “mild.”
Posted By: 805 Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/22/22
I’d load some brand new brass and see what happens. Just because brass is FL sized doesn’t mean it will work in your rifles chamber.
Posted By: drover Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by mjac

drover

Full disclosure; the rifle is new to me and I do not have any good load developed.

I started with some mid range load data (many powders) that I had used during load development of another 708 I have.

Nothing near max and with full length sized brass. Brass that yes, was fired before.

Would you suggest I chose one powder and back down a bit? Pending the result, move to another brass?

Thanks

I would try some new brass first if you have or can get a few.

drover
Posted By: mjac Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Define “mild.”

Over the five powders I was using, the average was 1.5g below max.
Originally Posted by 805
I’d load some brand new brass and see what happens

I'll try this for sure.

Originally Posted by 805
Just because brass is FL sized doesn’t mean it will work in your rifles chamber.

This did not know this before and certainly changes my thinking.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by mjac

drover

Thanks

I would try some new brass first if you have or can get a few.

drover

Thank you. I may be awhile before I can do this as I do not currently have any new brass.
Sounds like poor primary extraction.
When I resize brass fired from another chamber, I check my die setting to be sure that
the cases will chamber without restriction (in the gun it will be used in) when the bolt closes down on it.
Nickle plated brass needs die set down a little further than plain brass cases.

Multiple guns of same caliber may need different die setting when sizing brass for that gun.

Just my experience and thinking.
Tim
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
When I resize brass fired from another chamber, I check my die setting to be sure that
the cases will chamber without restriction (in the gun it will be used in) when the bolt closes down on it.
Nickle plated brass needs die set down a little further than plain brass cases.

Multiple guns of same caliber may need different die setting when sizing brass for that gun.

Just my experience and thinking.
Tim

Thank you for your comments.
I should mention that my loads chamber and are extracted (unfired) without any difficultly. Another 7mm08 (Tikka) will chamber the same handloads and extract, unfired AND fired without any problem.
I am on the hunt in the classifieds for some new brass and will follow your practice.

Btw, Your, Khe Sanh quote in your sig line. Where you there? I was nearby with 3/5.
mjac
No,I was not stationed in Khe Sanh. I did a tour with 5thSFGA.
I thought the message on that sign was very thought provoking. I read
it in Stars and Stripes while there.

To bad more of our leaders have not served. I think we (US) would be better served now if they had.

Kinda lost on what your ammo problem really is.
Did you prep the brass you are loading? or inherit it?
All same head stamp?
Never mix head stamps.

Good luck
Tim
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
mjac
No,I was not stationed in Khe Sanh. I did a tour with 5thSFGA.
I thought the message on that sign was very thought provoking. I read
it in Stars and Stripes while there.

To bad more of our leaders have not served. I think we (US) would be better served now if they had.

Kinda lost on what your ammo problem really is.
Did you prep the brass you are loading? or inherit it?
All same head stamp?
Never mix head stamps.

Good luck
Tim

Tim, Khe Sanh was a hellva fight. Welcome Home.

Yes. It came to me as once fired and I full sized, trimmed, etc. All PPU. The brass and the loads have been working well in my other 708, a Tikka but not so in the rem 788.
I have some new Hornady on the way and hoping that will resolve the problem
I have messed with several 788s and never such an issue for me.

Good luck.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/22/22
788s are not as strong or rigid as 700s.

There's currently a thread in the campfire about this. Top post on the 2nd page explains it well.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16867336/2
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 01/28/22
Other suggestions: clean chamber and bolt. Check action screw tightness. With your brass, screw the die in until it touches the shellholder, then turn it a little tighter so you get a little bump feel on the press handle when sizing.
Posted By: mjac Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 02/16/22
An update. New, virgin brass and same loads, nary a problem.

Thanks
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Rem 788 7mm08 bolt issue - 02/19/22
Just bring die down a hair for your used brass. Be gentle on the bolt handle, I've not had it happen but have read that they can break rather easy compared 700's
© 24hourcampfire