Home
Posted By: Otto_Mitchell 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Hey guys, recently had an old Winchester XTR reviews by JES to 338 Federal now I’m considering having on of my 30/06 rebored to 338/06 I have 3 options
1) a Ruger m77 blued walnut
2) Kimber 84l classic blued/ walnut
3) Winchester XTR featherweight with factory McMillan stock

I’m looking to make a nice all around western hunting rifle with a little extra punch than the 06 and without going to a magnum.

Thanks
Ryan
Posted By: Justahunter Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
As bad as we all want it to, the .338-06 doesn’t have any more punch than a 30-06 shooting 200 gr. bullets… kinda been proven the world over. But, the 30-06 is far more boring. Whatever 30-06 you like the least is the one I suggest you send in.

Good luck,

Todd
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
I’d bet the Ruger or Winchester would be feel nice lightened up a bit with the rebore. Any one of them have pros and cons but the Win and Ruger are probably the heaviest and would be comfortable as 338’s.
Posted By: Jon_In_Va Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Funny
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Whichever one has back-up open sights.

I run 225 grain interbonds or 225 grain fusions for winter caribou or in the mountains. These are wide-expanding bullets that have greater killing effect on lighter skin game at longer range.

If i take a sheep, hike out is with the scope dropped, and the gun stoked with 275 grain a-frame handloads sighted to the open sights for the hike out. For that occasional bear that might challenge you for your pack full o bloody sheep meat.

That is the versatility of the 338-06/338rcm ballistics. A great mountain rifle cartridge in big bear country. But ive been saying this since 2008.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Do it
Posted By: Judman Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Ruger 👊🏻
Posted By: Seafire Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
I took a 270, brand new in the box, which I paid $250 on pre tax season close out....

Model 70, and had it bored out to 338/06.....

that was 20 years ago... even if it is not suppose to be an upgrade from an 06.... I didn't let my barrel know that...

so it thinks Its an upgrade from a 30/06....

definitely hits with what seems like more punch... yet you notice the lesser recoil than a 338 Mag gives ya....
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
I took a 270, brand new in the box, which I paid $250 on pre tax season close out....

Model 70, and had it bored out to 338/06.....

that was 20 years ago... even if it is not suppose to be an upgrade from an 06.... I didn't let my barrel know that...

so it thinks Its an upgrade from a 30/06....

definitely hits with what seems like more punch... yet you notice the lesser recoil than a 338 Mag gives ya....

That’s the absolute perfect use for a .270….I wish more people would do that. 😉
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/11/22
Originally Posted by Justahunter
As bad as we all want it to, the .338-06 doesn’t have any more punch than a 30-06 shooting 200 gr. bullets… kinda been proven the world over. But, the 30-06 is far more boring. Whatever 30-06 you like the least is the one I suggest you send in.

Good luck,

Todd

How big of sample of big game animals shot with both does your information come from? Have you compared them yourself?
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
XTR would be a nice one.
Posted By: Nashville Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
I rebarreled a kimber 84L to 338-06. I would do it again.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
I vote the XTR as well...
Posted By: dmurf205 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
What ever you decide, you have picked the right man for the job. JES does beautiful work. I have a Browning BAR and it would not shoot better than softball sized groups and some were bigger than that. Now it is a 338/06 and I have to use RN bullets because of the super short magazine but it will easily do an inch on a good day. I called several shops that specalize in reboring and they all told be that the Browning had a lot of chrome it the barrel and bla, bla, bla. They wouldn't touch it. When I got it back from JES the bore looked like a mirror.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Using the featherweight barrel and reboring to .338 will be getting awfully skinny with a muzzle diameter of .550 or thereabouts! FWIW the two winlite fwts I have had have both been very accurate and I am loath to tear apart a good shooting gun. (a lesson learned the hard way)
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
I have a .338-06, love it. However, I probably wouldn't build another. With bullets and powder we have today allowing smaller rifles to punch above their weight class, I find myself reaching for other rifles in my safe. I would probably bypass the rebore and just build a full custom, but that's just me.
Posted By: JPro Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Otto_Mitchell
Hey guys, recently had an old Winchester XTR reviews by JES to 338 Federal now I’m considering having on of my 30/06 rebored to 338/06 I have 3 options

I’m looking to make a nice all around western hunting rifle with a little extra punch than the 06 and without going to a magnum.

Thanks
Ryan

I'd likely do the Ruger, as it has more barrel contour to work with. The other option would be to swap somebody for a .338WinMag sporter of comparable value and load it down a bit. That's what I did when I wanted a .338cal rifle. Powders in the 4895/Varget/RL15 class can work well with 185-210gr stuff. Accuracy can be fine.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by JPro

Thanks
Ryan

I'd likely do the Ruger, as it has more barrel contour to work with. The other option would be to swap somebody for a .338WinMag sporter of comparable value and load it down a bit. That's what I did when I wanted a .338cal rifle. Powders in the 4895/Varget/RL15 class can work well with 185-210gr stuff. Accuracy can be fine.

Dream crusher grin
Posted By: JPro Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Rifle loonies and car guys live in a world where logic is subjective. lol
Originally Posted by JPro
Rifle loonies and car guys live in a world where logic is subjective. lol

Agreed.. It is pretty fun though.

I do like the JES option of freshening up a rifle I would otherwise not use or have much interest in.

Pretty inexpensive to take a cartridge for a test drive. They usually shoot quite well too.
Posted By: Justahunter Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Good luck,

Todd

How big of sample of big game animals shot with both does your information come from? Have you compared them yourself?

I hate to get into this here with you, because it is going to high jack the thread. Since it's been discussed, I'll oblige.

I have enough experience with both. The information is out there if you care to search my history.. Albeit not a lot of killing experience with the .338-06 but plenty with the 30-06. But since this is the internet and I can make my resume' what I want it to be regardless of truth, I'll just stick to popular trends since you are wanting large sample sizes...

How about we discuss popular sales of rifles chambered in these such calibers? I guess the over loading number of factory 338-06 rifles available to the consumer and the amount of factory ammo available would give the 338-06 A-Square a strong argument to it's improved killing prowess over the 30-06. So much so, I can't walk into a gun store and find a .338-06 A Square anywhere and haven't been able to for the last 25 years I've been walking into gun stores the world over keeping track of such... Don't think I've ever seen one in any gun shop ever. The one I had was a custom built on an O3-A3. It's a shootin' sumbeetch and still available to me anytime I want it. After crunching the numbers and studying the on paper ballistics of both, the 338-06 doesn't really offer anything over a 30-06. The world of gun and ammo sales kinda confirms it.... If it was an improvement, they would be a little more available and popular, don't you think?

Now lets talk about the amount of kills the world over both have chalked up... How many deer, elk, moose, bears and other animals has the 30-06 been responsible for taking over its years of service? How many deer, elk, moose, bears and other animals has the 338-06 taken over it's years of service? Do you honestly think it's even 1% of the total of the 30-06? Circling back around to the availability, do you think there is even 1% the amount of 338-06 rifles available over 30-06's?

One more question..... Do you think there is an animal the world over that would be able to tell the difference between a 30-06 launching 200 grain Nosler partitions over a 338-06 launching 225's? or 220 gr vs 250 gr?

Now don't get me wrong, the 338-06 is a beautiful thing. It is an absolute hammer, very efficient, seem to be inherently accurate and all around a very versatile and great chambering that won't bounce off of anything.. But so is the 30-06.

Like JPro said... "Rifle loonies and car guys live in a world where logic is subjective." Thinking the 338-06 really offers anything "logical" over the 30-06 is very subjective. But so is 90% of all the other chamberings available. That's all I was getting at...

Todd
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Justahunter,
Not trying to start anything. I was just curious of your experience. I have shot quite a few deer and elk with 200 Hornadys and 210 Partitions out of 2 different 338-06’s I have owned. Still have one. Personally, I think the larger bullet diameter does “punch “ harder.
I have found that a lot of cartridges and bullets far outperform what paper ballistics indicate. And if a cartridges sales and availability are indicators of effectiveness then the 6.5 Manbun must be the best ever.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Ruger all the way, i bought a rusted bore pre-64 270, sent to JES for 338-06 rebore, it sits in a pacific research stock, all metal is cerekoted, Smith installed a stainless trigger free of charge, couple wraps camo tape around the scope tube for the muzzle with Butler Creek cap for the front and that things set for any weather condition or game, 250gr A-Frames at 2550 fps will get a lot done, or load 210gr TTSX to 2800 fps for flatter trajectory and carry over any elk mountain, the rifle with six rounds on board only weighs 8 lbs.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Justahunter,

How do these 275 grain swift-a frame handloads compare to a 30-06? Same same?
Justahunter,
Not trying to start anything. I was just curious of your experience. I have shot quite a few deer and elk with 200 Hornadys and 210 Partitions out of 2 different 338-06’s I have owned. Still have one. Personally, I think the larger bullet diameter does “punch “ harder.
I have found that a lot of cartridges and bullets far outperform what paper ballistics indicate. And if a cartridges sales and availability are indicators of effectiveness then the 6.5 Manbun must be the best ever.

I can't argue with any bit of that. I pretty much 100% agree with all of it.

Todd
Posted By: frank500 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Mine runs a 275 grain Speer at 2375. My 06 runs a Barnes 250 at 2320. On my 12” ar500 plate the difference is notable.
When I can shoot again I’ll video the two
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Justahunter,

How do these 275 grain swift-a frame handloads compare to a 30-06? Same same?

I have 100% no experience shooting or hunting those out of the 338-06. Only 250's. But it is my opinion that all else equal, a 220 out of a 30-06 will have the same effect. In other words, say you are walking out with open sighted loads in Alaska bear country and an aggressive bear charges you.. It is 6 one way half a dozen the other what load/rifle combo will be more effective. I don't personally think there is enough difference to really make a difference if the bullets hit exactly the same path and all else is equal.. Do you? Now put that bullet in a .338 Winchester Magnum launching 200-300 more FPS faster and I think there is some validity on which has more power to matter.

Todd
Got it Todd, thanks. Ill try to sell this here 338 rcm and go back to my 30 cals.

55 grains more of bullet weight and an expaned diameter far larger than the 220/.308 partition means nothing.
Got it Todd, thanks. Ill try to sell this here 338 rcm and go back to my 30 cals.

55 grains more of bullet weight and an expaned diameter far larger than the 220/.308 partition means nothing.

Oh come on now, don't get testy or be obtuse. Serious discussion, leave your emotions out of it. Seriously, I think you have some awesome experience and knowledge to share. Educate me. What does 55 more grains of bullet weight and "expanded diameter far larger" mean if both bullets travel the exact same path? If it was so much greater of a difference, why isn't the 338-06 more popular? I mean it kills better without much more recoil. Why didn't it take off? If that bullet weight and larger diameter really means something, why aren't all these "Alaska" model factory guns factory chambered in the 338-06? Why are most all of these type of firearms chambered in the 30-06 and 338 Win Mag?

Todd

Posted By: brinky72 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
I called JES regarding a possible 358 Winchester rebore. He advised that as long as he had twenty thousandths of an inch over the bore he could swing it. Just give him a jingle and he’ll either pick up the phone or call you back and give you the run down. Very down to earth guy. I’ve heard nothing but good about his work. I rebarreled a Ruger M77 from’06 to 35 Whelen with a same contour and length barrel. I love it and would do it again. Just keep in mind that Ruger 77’s aren’t light. So, I’d pick the lighter of the bunch and go with that. My 35 Whelen with heavy loads flinging 250’s at 2700 doesn’t kick any more than a stout 30-‘06. Good stock and good recoil pad are everything.

Oh come on now, don't get testy or be obtuse. Serious discussion, leave your emotions out of it. Seriously, I think you have some awesome experience and knowledge to share. Educate me. What does 55 more grains of bullet weight and "expanded diameter far larger" mean if both bullets travel the exact same path? If it was so much greater of a difference, why isn't the 338-06 more popular? I mean it kills better without much more recoil. Why didn't it take off? If that bullet weight and larger diameter really means something, why aren't all these "Alaska" model factory guns factory chambered in the 338-06? Why are most all of these type of firearms chambered in the 30-06 and 338 Win Mag?

Todd

I’ve noticed a difference between the 30-06 I had on the very same rifle and the 35 Whelen I turned it into. A .358” 250 grain bullet going 2650 fps makes a bit more of an impression on the black bears and deer that I have shot with it. I didn’t light load the ‘06 either. Nothing but 180 or 200 grain bullets at or near max. If a 338-06 is no better than a 30-06 why not sell your’06 and get a 270 or 280? Same difference.
[/quote]

I’ve noticed a difference between the 30-06 I had on the very same rifle and the 35 Whelen I turned it into. A .358” 250 grain bullet going 2650 fps makes a bit more of an impression on the black bears and deer that I have shot with it. I didn’t light load the ‘06 either. Nothing but 180 or 200 grain bullets at or near max. If a 338-06 is no better than a 30-06 why not sell your’06 and get a 270 or 280? Same difference. [/quote]

Good argument. So are you saying that the old 30-06 loaded with 200 grainers would not have killed the black bears and deer that you killed with it being a .35 Whelen if all hits were exactly the same?

For the record with me, there is nothing I wouldn't hunt with a .270 Win with a 150 Nosler Partition that I wouldn't hunt with a 338-06 and a 225 gr Nosler Partition. I think the end results would be much the same. That's what I'm getting at really. If I lung shoot a moose with a 150 Nosler Partion and lung shoot the same moose with a 225 Nosler Partition, I still lung shot a moose thats going to die quickly.

Todd
Great conversation. Here's one I'll throw out there, is it bullet expanded width that shows the harder hitting effects or just the bigger cartridges.

My little snippet, I love the 338 Win Mag and Whelen, thought they were the cats meow cause it seemed like stuff didn't wander about after shooting, they kinda got weak knees and croaked. Fast forward a few years to the 7 Mashburn with 175 Bitterroots. Those suckers planted elk very quick, if not faster than my beloved 338's and 35's. On recovery, if you recovered one of them would be 3/4's of an inch or larger buried in the far side. Most of the bullets I used in my 338 or 35 went that wide...

I kinda started to believe it was the massive frontal area of a great bullet that really did some "wow" to em.

I think Mainer has mentioned the big ol Swifts and similar putting the skids to big bull moose. Alot of frontal area on one of them, along with big penetration. He has showed them big recovered slugs and they're impressive.

The 220 PT from the 06 is a wonderful penetrator but I don't know if it'll muster up the frontal area.

Not arguing with any of you all cause this stuff is good [bleep], and it's cool to see others view points.

Gunners 250 A-Frame load should be a beast as well. I can't imagine the swatch of destruction it'll lay down.
beretzs,

Great post.

Todd
Posted By: TX35W Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/12/22
Still haven't gotten around to making a 338/06, but having shot a huge pile of animals with various 30 cals/7mms/270's and big pile of animals with 358 bores...to me it is very obvious that there is a huge difference in effect between the 30-and-unders and the .358+ bores on every species of game from whitetail up to elk/bull caribou size.

I've hit a few animals with 7mms and 30 cals which dropped in their tracks and a few with .358+ bores that did not. Stuff happens.

But once you get a big enough sample size the difference is not subtle. At reasonable hunting ranges the medium bores hit much harder. Exactly as Beretzs said, animals tend to either drop straight down or maybe just stagger and act confused. What they very rarely do is the pedal-to-the-metal death run that they nearly always do when you hit them with smaller calibers. I'm sure if you had a small sample size and didn't match the bullet to the animal, maybe you could come to a different conclusion.

There is also a lower velocity threshold where the medium bores stop having that effect (and you get the death run like you'd get with any other caliber) but it seems to vary bullet to bullet.

Edit: no flies on the 308 200gr partition; I just had a WSM throated long for that exact bullet. But it don't make a 30-06 into a medium bore.

I mostly agree with all that has been discussed here. I’m still in the school that I don’t think there is enough killing difference between the medium bore 06 based cartridges to really matter in the big game woods. Big bear country maybe but elk and moose, not so much. I personally think that’s why the 30-06 still remains and always will be king over all of them.

I also need to admit that after spending years in the Elmer Kieth camp (where most of you all in this discussion seem to be) I have transitioned to the O’Connor/Weatherby camp over the years. I’ve personally seen super high velocity “shut off more lights” in the hunting woods than frontal area..

How boring would it be if we all saw it the same?

Todd
Doug, the owner of the hardware store in talkeetna shot a fella buy the name of eric sqaure through the chest with a heavy 30-06 remington corlokt.

Missed his heart. Now middle to late aged anchorage fellas are moderately tough, but i dunno about compared to some of my local bears.

Doug made a good shot and Eric made a full recovery.

Todd, im gonna check with eric and see if hes willing to test a 338 275 grain a-frame in the exact same spot.
Mainer,

The problem there was the Remington corlokt… don’t blame that full recovery on the 30-06 when corlokts are in the equation.. I thought we were all better than that…

Todd
That’s funny right there. Don’t care who you are grin

Good argument. So are you saying that the old 30-06 loaded with 200 grainers would not have killed the black bears and deer that you killed with it being a .35 Whelen if all hits were exactly the same?

For the record with me, there is nothing I wouldn't hunt with a .270 Win with a 150 Nosler Partition that I wouldn't hunt with a 338-06 and a 225 gr Nosler Partition. I think the end results would be much the same. That's what I'm getting at really. If I lung shoot a moose with a 150 Nosler Partion and lung shoot the same moose with a 225 Nosler Partition, I still lung shot a moose thats going to die quickly.

Todd[/quote]

IME everything that I have shot with several 30-06’s have ran a little ways before expiring. Be it with 150’s or 220’s. All dead nonetheless. So far my Whelen has knocked everything over DRT or within thirty feet. Having watched the animals I have hit with the Whelen v any ‘06I’ve owned the Whelen has a noticeable more effect upon impact. Last season I literally watched two of the deer I shot roll over on impact. The bear I shot were all DRT. Is it the caliber, the bullet/load combination, luck? I don’t know but it sure works for me. I built it and load it to knock the hell out of angry bears over hounds and to the pleasure of the hounds men I run with it does just that. If I had to hunt a 30-06 the rest of my life I would probably do it without too much bitchin’ as it’s a fine cartridge that I shoot well and have had good results with. But, I sure dig the Whelen and it’s effectiveness on deer and bear. I almost went the 338-06 route on that build and considered AI versions of both. I’ve always liked the 35 Whelen in it's regular dress and went that way.
[/quote]

If I lung shoot a moose with a 150 Nosler Partion and lung shoot the same moose with a 225 Nosler Partition, I still lung shot a moose thats going to die quickly.

Todd

Wrong.

Big, rut-raged bull moose routinely continue to move for anywhere 30 seconds to hours, with partial lung function. They then die in the cold swift river, a fkn muskeg swamp, or in a tangle of willows/alders. A high velocity/light weight btch-slap to the lungs from a 20 something caliber, is the wrong answer.

Since you obvouisly need to learn through the goggles of gunwriters........Ask Barsness where his first Alaskan moose ended up dying after a behind the shoulder shot with a 338 win mag.

The way you take down a big bull, is you break out the entire fkn front end of the thing with a heavy, regardless of the velocity. You KEEP shooting till that big boy is anchored on the dry ground.
I agree. I’ve only killed two and only guided for a few more. Most of my extensive guiding is based off elk hunting, I admit. Alaska is a definite different animal. Never had much by way of rivers for them to die in and they were all the tiny runt Shirus variety. In my experience, I would rather use a .300 Wby and 180 grain A-Frames rather than a 275 A Frame out of a 338-06. The people that need to actually tool up for Alaska and not have a guide tooled up to help them out is a tiny tiny drop in the bucket. Maybe if it weren’t the 338-06 would be more valid.

Todd
Posted By: brinky72 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
Edit: no flies on the 308 200gr partition; I just had a WSM throated long for that exact bullet. But it don't make a 30-06 into a medium bore.

That was my favorite 30-06 bullet. A 200 grain partition on top of as much RL22 that I could stuff in the case. I would do a 30-06 in a Winchester M70 featherweight, put some irons on it, a decent 3X9 and maybe throat it so the 200’s were at the base of the neck and make sure the magazine allowed same. That would be a nice rig to me.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
Late to this thread, but do it! You will like the 338-06.

As far as rifles, I would do the Kimber, but I prefer them to the XTR or Ruger. Simple personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. So you should pick the rifle.

As far as crawling down the caliber/game performance rabbit hole....

My observations have led me to believe that there is a visual difference when a >338 caliber hits vs < 338.

If I need to throw out my observational experience, here it is.

Hundreds of deer/antelope. archery, 224-50 caliber.
Three dozen elk from archery, 243-375 caliber.
Six black bear from archery, 270, 30-06, and 338-06.
24 African animals with 300 H&H, 340 Dakota, 375 H&H and Cape Buffalo with a 404 Jeffery.

I have said this before, they all kill. The difference lies in the visual impact and how the animal acts after the shot.

I will add this simple observation from my first Africa trip. I carried a 300 H&H with 180gr TTSX, hunting partner used 340 Dakota with 225gr TSX.
I shot Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Mt Zebra, Warthog, Waterbuck, and Black Wildebeest. Every critter died but without exception every one ran at least 60 yards.
Partner shot Gemsbuck, Warthog, Kudu, MT Zebra and impala. With out exception each one was dead with 10-15 yards. Was an eye opening experience to say the least.

The list of bullets used on animals in the 338-06 have been:
180gr- NAB
200gr- NAB, Ballistic Silvertip, Old Hornady Interlock
210gr- Partition, TSX

I have also messed around with 160, 225, 250, and 275gr bullets. Never killed anything with any of them.

Currently have two Model 70 Classics and a 3rd "Safari" rifle at the smith's to be picked up when I get a chance.

Have two 30-06's, as every one should own one or two of them. grin
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

These broke a good amount of bone and just stumbled this little bull.

He did slide down the snow a bit but you have to love the hurt the 338’s and larger put on big stuff.

Great topic though fellas.

The above bullet is a 338 210 Swift

This is a 175 BBC from the Mashburn.

Only shot one moose so I don’t have much of an opinion there.
That off side leg is pointing the wrong way. Took an awful hit.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
I've only shot two critters with the .338-06, a big 6x5 Montana Whitetail buck and an average sized Whitetail doe. Load was the Nosler 200 gr CTBS (same a BT but for the color, I think) at over 2800 FPS, and the shots were both inside 75 yards. I am a firm believer that the .338-06 is a real hammer, but this big buck actually ran pretty far, probably 75-100 yards. I was almost thinking I'd missed him until he got to a fence and didn't jump it like the rest of the herd that ran with him. Rather, he turned left and ran a few more yards then fell over.
I shot him behind the shoulder, midway up the body, and didn't break anything but ribs in and out. Here's the entry side:
[Linked Image]
and the exit:
[Linked Image]
Pretty sure if I'd whacked him in the shoulder he'd have gone straight down, as he probably would with the .257 Roberts/100 TSX combo that I've killed more deer with than any other chambering. Just goes to show you need to be circumspect with interpreting data and experience. I don't think this data point means a thing except maybe it takes bigger critters to make the .338-06 shine. But I had just finished mine and was itching to hunt with it, thus, the MT Whitetails that year (2020).

Cheers,
Rex
Yes, we should all be circumspect of 1 data point. Farthest I ever had a whitetail run was a mature buck with a 338 win mag and factory loaded 225gr Trophy Bonded in 1997. Same load took a nice bull elk, I did not see the impact or the reaction to the hit because a bunch of snow flew up from the muzzle blast. Dad said he shuddered, gathered himself and took off following the herd. Only made it about 40 yards up the ridge before he peeled off and down into a small drainage. That bullet entered right at the last rib and exited between the neck and shoulder. Shot was about 250 yards.

I have had deer run a ways when shot with a 338-06 and 210gr TSX also, but you could tell they were done. Never a doubt. The last two adult mule deer and SE Black Bear all went down at the shot with the 200gr CT Ballistic silvertips.

Not like some smaller calibers where you knew they were hit, but running like nothing was wrong until they tipped over.

I like to call it a crumple effect. Hit them with a big diameter and they crumple, They may run, but they are running crumpled.

So in my humble opinion.
A bigger diameter hits harder with all else being equal. Same bullet, velocity, & placement.

A softer bullet hits harder than a tougher bullet, with all else being equal. Same diameter, velocity, & placement,

A higher velocity hits harder, with all else being equal. Same bullet, diameter, & placement.

There are obviously myriads of combinations that will produce a positive end result, which is a clean kill.
Posted By: Trystan Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22

Good luck,

Todd

That's why if your going to rebore you go 35 Whelen

Trystan
Originally Posted by CRS
Yes, we should all be circumspect of 1 data point. Farthest I ever had a whitetail run was a mature buck with a 338 win mag and factory loaded 225gr Trophy Bonded in 1997. Same load took a nice bull elk, I did not see the impact or the reaction to the hit because a bunch of snow flew up from the muzzle blast. Dad said he shuddered, gathered himself and took off following the herd. Only made it about 40 yards up the ridge before he peeled off and down into a small drainage. That bullet entered right at the last rib and exited between the neck and shoulder. Shot was about 250 yards.

I have had deer run a ways when shot with a 338-06 and 210gr TSX also, but you could tell they were done. Never a doubt. The last two adult mule deer and SE Black Bear all went down at the shot with the 200gr CT Ballistic silvertips.

Not like some smaller calibers where you knew they were hit, but running like nothing was wrong until they tipped over.

I like to call it a crumple effect. Hit them with a big diameter and they crumple, They may run, but they are running crumpled.

So in my humble opinion.
A bigger diameter hits harder with all else being equal. Same bullet, velocity, & placement.

A softer bullet hits harder than a tougher bullet, with all else being equal. Same diameter, velocity, & placement,

A higher velocity hits harder, with all else being equal. Same bullet, diameter, & placement.

There are obviously myriads of combinations that will produce a positive end result, which is a clean kill.

That is the nice thing about the bigger bullets, you can use the softer ones for lighter game. Never used the 200 BT but have used the 200 AB and it's a good one as well. I have so many 338 bullets you all are almost talking me into a 338-06 crazy
Not trying to talk anyone into a 338-06. Just stating my observations, opinion, and what I like.

OP wants to rebore a rifle and try one. He should go for it. That is what looney's do. crazy

I really like the cartridge, even tried to go uber practical and sold/traded all my rifles so chambered. Replaced them with a 300 H&H, while I like that cartridge, regretted the decision immediately.

Soon I will have three 338-06's. All will be right in my gun room. grin
Originally Posted by CRS
Not trying to talk anyone into a 338-06. Just stating my observations, opinion, and what I like.

OP wants to rebore a rifle and try one. He should go for it. That is what looney's do. crazy

I really like the cartridge, even tried to go uber practical and sold/traded all my rifles so chambered. Replaced them with a 300 H&H, while I like that cartridge, regretted the decision immediately.

Soon I will have three 338-06's. All will be right in my gun room. grin

I don't need much of a nudge most days grin
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by CRS

So in my humble opinion.

That is the nice thing about the bigger bullets, you can use the softer ones for lighter game. Never used the 200 BT but have used the 200 AB and it's a good one as well. I have so many 338 bullets you all are almost talking me into a 338-06 crazy

The 200 Speer has been my favorite for whitetails. Real hammer at about 2600 - 2700fps. Definitely more reaction than any 30 cal or lower that I've used. Had poor penetration with the 180 AB at .338 Fed speeds. A sample of 1, though.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
Beretzs,
Do it!!
The 338-06 is my all time favorite big game cartridge.If I was limited to one, that would be it. I’ve always used the 200-210 grain bullets. Big enough to hit hard yet still good enough to stretch ranges out past 400 yds. I save the heavier bullets for the 338 winnie. Although, the win mag does knock elk off their feet more often.

There is a great old article in Handloader magazine written by Steve Timm. Him and his friends had 3 of them. They tested from 200 up to the old 275 Speer. They hunted them for deer, elk, and bear in the Oregon coast mountains. I think, if I remember right, they used the 210 Partition and 200 Speer the most for hunting.
Beretzs,
Do it!!
The 338-06 is my all time favorite big game cartridge.If I was limited to one, that would be it. I’ve always used the 200-210 grain bullets. Big enough to hit hard yet still good enough to stretch ranges out past 400 yds. I save the heavier bullets for the 338 winnie. Although, the win mag does knock elk off their feet more often.

There is a great old article in Handloader magazine written by Steve Timm. Him and his friends had 3 of them. They tested from 200 up to the old 275 Speer. They hunted them for deer, elk, and bear in the Oregon coast mountains. I think, if I remember right, they used the 210 Partition and 200 Speer the most for hunting.

Thanks for the extra nudge. I'll have to keep my eye out for a good donor. More than likely I'd just send it off to JES and let him work his magic with it.

I am using the 210 Swift's in the 338 Win now and like the way they work so much I can't hardly stand to waste my time trying to find something that'll do any better.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
My current 338-06 is a JES rebore on a 1963 Remington 700. It’s about a pound lighter than my 338 win, makes it nice for packing.
My current 338-06 is a JES rebore on a 1963 Remington 700. It’s about a pound lighter than my 338 win, makes it nice for packing.

Ultimately I'd like a Model 70 or a Kimber, but I never know what'll run across. Gunner's 338-06 is about the epitome of what I'd like.
700's don't turn out too bad.

[Linked Image]
That looks sharp. Great looking hunting rifle!
Posted By: Seafire Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
After reading this thread, when my own post was on page one....

I can follow up on my 338/06 with this...a Model 70 Control Round Feed model..

it is my one "load and forget" rifle in the cabinet...

I use 3 bullets that I have a bunch still around, although I don't know if any of them are even made anymore..

200, 225 and 250 grain Hornady SPs....

anything I have pointed the rifle at, and pulled the trigger, dropped on the spot.... no following blood trails into brush or anything else..

bang flop... whether running or standing still...

rebored to 338/06 from a 270... and added a Bell and Carlson stock to it from the Factory Stock... took down the weight..

a Leupold 2 x 7 shotgun scope is all it needed or uses on top...

Have loaded it up, have loaded it down...

two extremes on that statement.... SR4759 with a 200 grain Hornady SP... 2400 fps... duplicates an old 33 Winchester...

250 gr Hornady SP or RN... 62.5 grains of H 380.. 2650 fps... serious punch....

H 380 is an overlooked powder in this cartridge.... 65 grains with 200 grain bullets, 64 grains with 225 grain bullets... 62.5 with 250 grain bullets..

all three different bullet weights.... 50 grains of 4064, each one 2500 fps MV, and same point of impact pretty much, at 100 yds.. flexible...

the 338/06 kills stuff...

always thought about I had to have a 338/06 and 35 Whelen... after doing the 338/06, never had the need to do a Whelen...

this from a guy, when I usually hunt with my 30/06, the load is usually a stiff load of H 4831 with a 220 gr RN or a 220 gr SMP Partition, at about 2800+ or so FPS...
yeah, it'll do that in an 06....

I don't need a thumper when I hunt most of the time... but when I do... its the 338/06 or the 30/06 with 220 grainers...my preference is the 338/06....

just because I guess it is rarer than the 06.... and seems to be an upgrade over the 06... and I don't notice anything less than the 338 Win Mag in performance, just felt recoil.

The rifle just gives a lot of confidence to ya, to get any job ya give it in North America, DONE...
I was just looking over GB. Might just get a M70 EW and let JES work his rifler'er on it.. Seems to be a 270 is all I can really find right now at a decent price.

Got the creative juices flowing. Thanks fellas.....
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/13/22
Nothing like loading a 338-06 to 338 win mag speeds, or a 30-06 to 300 mag speeds. Not something I would do, but whatever!
The 338-06 is probably the last big game rifle I would sell. It would tough to let go of my 270's though.

There nothing around the world that I would not use it on, with the exception of elephant.
Originally Posted by CRS
The 338-06 is probably the last big game rifle I would sell. It would tough to let go of my 270's though.

There nothing around the world that I would not use it on, with the exception of elephant.

Shoot wasn't there a few of them taken with the old 318 WR back in the day as well...

Agreed about the 270's .
Wasn’t long ago someone had a beauty of a 338-06 AI in the classifieds here. Glad that sold. It made me sweat thinking about how I would propose that one to my wife.
I was just looking over GB. Might just get a M70 EW and let JES work his rifler'er on it.. Seems to be a 270 is all I can really find right now at a decent price.

An EW would be a great platform for a .338-06!
Again, perfect use for a .270! grin
Originally Posted by Teeder

An EW would be a great platform for a .338-06!
Again, perfect use for a .270! grin

Yeah, it is my second option, couldn't find any 30-06's whistle
Originally Posted by brinky72
Wasn’t long ago someone had a beauty of a 338-06 AI in the classifieds here. Glad that sold. It made me sweat thinking about how I would propose that one to my wife.

I didn't see that.

I could be coaxed into an AI with this one. No reason other than I want one... I'll have to search for a set of dies....
Berets,
Sent you a PM
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/14/22
Originally Posted by CRS
Berets,
Sent you a PM

Got it and replied to you. Thank you.
Posted By: WAM Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/14/22
I almost chose a .338-06 for my anniversary gift from my wife. The choice was a Mark V Ultralightweight .338-06 or Mark V lightweight sporter in .30-06. I chose the .30-06 mainly because I already had a .35 Whelen.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by WAM
I almost chose a .338-06 for my anniversary gift from my wife. The choice was a Mark V Ultralightweight .338-06 or Mark V lightweight sporter in .30-06. I chose the .30-06 mainly because I already had a .35 Whelen.

My anti looney thinking is get the 338-06, sell the Whelen and skip the 30-06.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22
Read the whole thread, guess I missed the boat. I have a 338 win mag, 338-06 , 35 whelen and lots of 30-06's. Only way I would spend money on a rebore is if the barrel on the gun was wore out. Then the question would be rebarrel or rebore. Just the way I see it...mb
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Read the whole thread, guess I missed the boat. I have a 338 win mag, 338-06 , 35 whelen and lots of 30-06's. Only way I would spend money on a rebore is if the barrel on the gun was wore out. Then the question would be rebarrel or rebore. Just the way I see it...mb

I guess my thoughts aren’t so much of a rebore on an 06, I just wanna grind the stink out of them so a 338 is the next logical choice, unless you’re into 8mm’s grin
Posted By: Heeler Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22
Beretzs,
Do it!!

Thanks for the extra nudge. I'll have to keep my eye out for a good donor. More than likely I'd just send it off to JES and let him work his magic with it.

I am using the 210 Swift's in the 338 Win now and like the way they work so much I can't hardly stand to waste my time trying to find something that'll do any better.

I run the 210 Swift SCII over RL-15 in my 338-06 and happier than a puppy with 2 peters on how it performs.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by Heeler
Beretzs,
Do it!!

I run the 210 Swift SCII over RL-15 in my 338-06 and happier than a puppy with 2 peters on how it performs.

Yes sir. Same bullet I use in my 338 Win. It is my favorite to date, outside of the 225 Bitterroots.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/15/22

I guess my thoughts aren’t so much of a rebore on an 06, I just wanna grind the stink out of them so a 338 is the next logical choice, unless you’re into 8mm’s grin

Always thought the 8 mag was cool. Then along came a 358STA. Not sure my dental work is up for the task.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/16/22
Had an 8 mag a long time ago. Did not grow on me at all.

As far as someone wanting to re bore a rifle, go for it. It is your resources to do what you want.
Posted By: WAM Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by WAM

Good advice but too late. That choice was almost 20 years ago. Still have both rifles! Happy Trails
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by WAM

Good advice but too late. That choice was almost 20 years ago. Still have both rifles! Happy Trails

grin My guess is they have both served you very well!
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by WAM

Do you notice a difference between the two?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/16/22

Always thought the 8 mag was cool. Then along came a 358STA. Not sure my dental work is up for the task.

The 358 STA is in the running for me as well. I’ve got the action and barrel. Just can’t decide on a cartridge.
Posted By: WAM Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/17/22
Originally Posted by WAM

Do you notice a difference between the two?

The Mark V lightweight is a handful with 200 grain loads. Only tried that once. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed 210 gr loads in a .338-06 in an under 7 lb rifle. I’ve not hunted with the .30-06 enough to make a factual judgement. The .35 Whelen is a big critter killing machine. I’m sure the .338-06 is also.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/17/22
A man could stack up a lot of game with a 30-06 in a nice handling rig. An accurate bolt with a well made stock stoked with a decent 180-200 grain bullet would serve a guy for a lifetime. Interesting how many great hunting rounds have been made from running that case through a different die.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/18/22
A man could stack up a lot of game with a 30-06 in a nice handling rig. An accurate bolt with a well made stock stoked with a decent 180-200 grain bullet would serve a guy for a lifetime. Interesting how many great hunting rounds have been made from running that case through a different die.

For sure.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/20/22

For sure.

Absolutely, but it so boringingly pedestrian. cool
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by CRS

For sure.

Absolutely, but it so boringingly pedestrian. cool

Double Amen….
Posted By: Heeler Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/21/22
Beretzs,
This one is back up for sale.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e64-custom-barreled-action-338-06#UNREAD
Posted By: Justahunter Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/21/22
I deleted my post. I was being a jerk and added no value to the thread. Kinder gentler times these are…

Todd
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by Heeler

Damn, I think I jumped too quickly though.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22

Thanks
Ryan

About 3 or 4 years ago, AlaskaLanche described a rebore on an 84L ‘06, shortened to 20” as I recall.
Very interesting lightweight easy carrying build.

Worth searching up for the details.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by 338Rules

Thanks
Ryan

About 3 or 4 years ago, AlaskaLanche described a rebore on an 84L ‘06, shortened to 20” as I recall.

I remember that rifle. I think ouch! He bought the donor. 84L from me.
Posted By: G8ters Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
Nothing to add but JES is awesome. He cut a 24 “ barrel to 20” too. Just fired 6 shot out of a just rebored (quick turnaround time during the holidays) of an interarms mark x from a 270 to a 35 whelen. Loaded up some loads to test and break in barrel. Used started at 50 grains of aa2460 on 225 sierra game king. First two were 50g to get to zero at 100y. 3rd and 4th was 50.5g. 5&6 were 51 grains. Very impressed to say the least. 3rd and 4th were maybe 3/4 moa center to center and 5&6 was 1 moa. Wasn’t meaning to do any load development just putzing around. Look out fall black bear. Btw, I highly recommend timney trigger for the mark x.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
Pretty tough to beat JES for the work he does.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Thanks
Ryan

An 84L would make a great .338-06, but I'd use a heavier barrel.
Posted By: buttstock Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
A 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions ( or 200 grain Speer Hot-cor spitzers) to 2600+ fps. punches pretty hard, and flies flatter than you would think. Might be a first option to consider before reboring. Saves money on rebore costs, dies and new bullets to inventory.

Check out the Alaska forum, here and on accuratereloading.com. Alaskan master bear guide Phill Shoemaker has high regard for the 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions.

I used to have a FN commercial m98 in 338-06. Sold it to a board member. I load 200 grain Speers in my 30-06. Meets my needs.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by buttstock
A 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions ( or 200 grain Speer Hot-cor spitzers) to 2600+ fps. punches pretty hard, and flies flatter than you would think. Might be a first option to consider before reboring. Saves money on rebore costs, dies and new bullets to inventory.

Check out the Alaska forum, here and on accuratereloading.com. Alaskan master bear guide Phill Shoemaker has high regard for the 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Partitions.

I used to have a FN commercial m98 in 338-06. Sold it to a board member. I load 200 grain Speers in my 30-06. Meets my needs.

You've got the common sense answer there. Can't disagree with that, but what if you want a 338-06 to shoot up a bunch of 338 bullets you already have? Plus, if you have a set of 30-06 bushing dies, its only a few bucks more to add a few bushings and load the 338-06 with the same dies you'd use for the 30-06...
Posted By: buttstock Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/22/22

You've got the common sense answer there. Can't disagree with that, but what if you want a 338-06 to shoot up a bunch of 338 bullets you already have? Plus, if you have a set of 30-06 bushing dies, its only a few bucks more to add a few bushings and load the 338-06 with the same dies you'd use for the 30-06...

I fully support playing with new toys. I did it myself with the aforementioned 338-06 rifle ( and about 1/2 dozen other rifle caliber, not to mention pistols and shotguns).

Just offering input to make the 30-06 punch above its weight class as an easy - and possibly overlooked-alternative.
Posted By: CRS Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Thanks
Ryan

An 84L would make a great .338-06, but I'd use a heavier barrel.

Yep, agree 100%. He did an ultralight though.

I think an 8400 Montana would be better IMO. I might even have a donor stashed away somewhere....... grin
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/24/22
As far as a rebore, will JES turn a 270 into a 338-06 or does it have to be an ‘06 chamber as a base?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
As far as a rebore, will JES turn a 270 into a 338-06 or does it have to be an ‘06 chamber as a base?

He will do a 270.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/24/22

It’s not really a question of rechambering, it’s more of a question of barrel contour. You should have a finished contour of around .620” to get a .338 bore. May be able to use a .600” finished contour, but I doubt much less. You could cut the barrel back a bit to get to a finished .620” contour if you have a smaller finished contour than required to rebore. Got to have some meat on the bone when it’s all said and done. Like others have said, for all the work involved you could just get a 338 Win Mag and load 225 gr down at 2,700 fps and 250 gr down at 2,600 fps and still satisfactorily outperform a 338-06. I’d never dump a nice 270 Win for a 338-06, when 338 Win Mag are for sale all the time at reasonable prices. Folks buy them and can’t shoot ‘em. I call it the 300 Wby syndrome. Factory load use. However you can load the 338 Win Mag down to moderate recoil levels if you so desire. Just a thought.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/25/22
While I agree with Rossimp's suggestions for barrel diameter in his post above, JES will rebore as long as the resultant barrel has at least .100" wall thickness. IOW, to become a .338 the barrel has to be at least .538 in diameter. Even featherweight contours are about .550 so most any rifle with a 30-06 based (or smaller) chamber can become a 338-06 at JES.
But I do like the .620"-ish size myself.
Rex
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/26/22
Will JES rebore stainless barrels?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/26/22
Will JES rebore stainless barrels?

All day long.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 338/06 Rebore - 04/26/22
Originally Posted by Rossimp

It’s not really a question of rechambering, it’s more of a question of barrel contour. You should have a finished contour of around .620” to get a .338 bore. May be able to use a .600” finished contour, but I doubt much less. You could cut the barrel back a bit to get to a finished .620” contour if you have a smaller finished contour than required to rebore. Got to have some meat on the bone when it’s all said and done. Like others have said, for all the work involved you could just get a 338 Win Mag and load 225 gr down at 2,700 fps and 250 gr down at 2,600 fps and still satisfactorily outperform a 338-06. I’d never dump a nice 270 Win for a 338-06, when 338 Win Mag are for sale all the time at reasonable prices. Folks buy them and can’t shoot ‘em. I call it the 300 Wby syndrome. Factory load use. However you can load the 338 Win Mag down to moderate recoil levels if you so desire. Just a thought.

mine was a Model 70 in 270, and I had it rebored and never fired it as a 270.

Bought the rifle at Walmart in Butte Montana, after deer season... its the control round feed version, so that will give you and idea when that was, or how long I've had it..

already had a couple of 270s.... Great shape, no lousy looking stock or anything else...

$250.00 out the door.... Sold the stock for $125.00 and put a synthetic stock someone gave me...

sorry to ruin " a nice rifle" but consider the cost, etc.. It works just fine for me...

my 338/06 will shoot a 200 grain Speer/ Hornady/ Nosler out the barrel at 2950 to 3000 fps thru a 24 inch barrel.

think ahead.... tell her you traded off 3 of your other rifles for it...

works just fine , unless she knows how many you have now....

then ALL bets are off...
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by Nashville
I rebarreled a kimber 84L to 338-06. I would do it again.

Someone PM'd me about this thread asking what I thought....well I guess I'm late to the party haha

I had JES rebore my 338-06 and cut the barrel back to 21" about 8 years ago I believe. I've used it to kill a couple caribou, moose, and grizzly bears. Since then I had it cut back to 16" and threaded it so I can shoot it suppressed in my backyard. Its a short handy lightweight setup that packs a punch. 210 Swift Sciroccos at 2700 fps or 230 ELDX at 2600 fps both pack a punch even from the shorty 16" barrel.

Certainly my go to rifle the last several years.

At 7.25 pounds with a 20 oz SWFA scope and a 16 oz suppressor on it, its quite civil to shoot, joy to carry, and settles nicely enough for me on target.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/17/22
Awesome 338 Alaska.. that’s a very cool set up.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/17/22
Someone mentioned Steve Timm and an article he wrote in Handloader #109.

I couldn't find the article online, but Steve did post his opinion on that cartridge in a thread I found on the 'fire created somewhere around 15 years ago.

I thought I'd add it to today's discussion:

DOGZAPPER:

I'm really enjoying the thrashing of the .338-'06. It's fun sitting on the sidelines, having killed well over 100 head of big game with the cartridge. Just sittin' here eating popcorn, watching the show.

Trust me, it is a GREAT cartridge.

I believe that logic would lead the elk hunter to a cartridge in which he has confidence. I've killed more than a few elk with both the .30-'06 and the .338-'06; they both work and work exceedingly well. My personal feeling, over many elk, is that the .338-'06 has the edge. Your mileage may vary, depending on the number of elk slain with both and prejudice if you have not killed lots of elk.

To some degree, it depends on the individual rifle, as well. Some rifles just have the "magic." They fit perfectly and seemingly kill way out of their league. I have a 7SGLC that shoots 120 Ballistics at 3,250 fps that handles like a fine English shotgun and is my lucky elk rifle. Bulls get up and the SGLC lays them right down....pronto.

So, is the 7SGLC a great elk rifle???? I can state that in my hands that my individual rifle sure as heck is.

Beyond all of this, the hunter himself is by far the most important element. We used to have rich-dudes show up in elk camp who never shot from year to year; guess what, they failed to kill and one of us grunts ended up running down their bulls and killing them. I cannot stress enough that the hunter should train year around, he should get lots of trigger time, he should practice in field positions (archery targets are great) and he should know the animal and scout, scout, scout.

The hunter is WAY more important than the cartridge or rifle.

Guns don't kill critters, I KILL CRITTERS!!!!!

Steve Timm
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/17/22
338-06 ballistics are so darn versatile for alaskan hunters.

Was cutting canoe trail up some sweeper and log jam-choked creek coupla weeks ago.

Set up my cot on shore to rest. There was something bizarre under my cot that i didnt initially notice:

An entire moose skull partially digested in some grizzly sht. The pieces were 3-4 inches in size. Eye ball sockets, jaw bones, skull plate. He mustve been getting old, to not be able to fully digest heavy bone.

Felt real nice, having a lil open sighted 338 rcm stoked with 275 grain a-frames. A mini express rifle, as light and handy as 30-30 model 94.........

Posted By: Riflehunter Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/18/22
338-06 ballistics are so darn versatile for alaskan hunters.

Was cutting canoe trail up some sweeper and log jam-choked creek coupla weeks ago.

Set up my cot on shore to rest. There was something bizarre under my cot that i didnt initially notice:

An entire moose skull partially digested in some grizzly sht. The pieces were 3-4 inches in size. Eye ball sockets, jaw bones, skull plate. He mustve been getting old, to not be able to fully digest heavy bone.

Felt real nice, having a lil open sighted 338 rcm stoked with 275 grain a-frames. A mini express rifle, as light and handy as 30-30 model 94.........

Do you know what speed you get with 275's in the 20 inch barrel? I get 2720 with the 225's and 2530 with the 250's with RL17.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 338/06 Rebore - 06/18/22
Riflehunter,

About 2300 fps with 55 grains of rl 16. Very mild load, mild recoil and fast follow-up shots.
© 24hourcampfire