Home
Has anyone used the lightweight aluminum Talleys on a .338 Win Mag on a long-term basis? Thinking of swapping over the steel mounts to the lightweight Talleys on a 9lb Model 70, but not sure if they will take the recoil. The scope is 1" 12.7 oz, Talleys would be low but with the dog-leg on one of them. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Has anyone used the lightweight aluminum Talleys on a .338 Win Mag on a long-term basis? Thinking of swapping over the steel mounts to the lightweight Talleys on a 9lb Model 70, but not sure if they will take the recoil. The scope is 1" 12.7 oz, Talleys would be low but with the dog-leg on one of them. Thank you.

They worked fine on a 7 pound model 70:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know why they wouldn't work on a heavy model 70 338wm? I later switched to a better set of rings and bases (Leupold PRW) though, when I switched over to a Zeiss Conquest..
What's the point of using lightweight mounts on a rifle which will still be heavy? GD
Originally Posted by greydog
What's the point of using lightweight mounts on a rifle which will still be heavy? GD

Yeah, you really aren't saving a lot of weight. If you want to lighten a model 70 up, try a Mcmillan edge or Brown PoundR. The reason I switched mounts on my lightweight 338wm is because I wanted something more sturdy. Not that I had any issues with the Talley's, I wanted something more robust so I did not have to worry about failure down the road.
I'm in the same boat. Used the Talley lightweights on a couple rifles- 300 win mag and a 338 WM but wasn't sure if they would hold up and didn't want to find out on in the middle of a hunting trip so I changed them out to steel rings and Warne steel weaver style bases...
The McMillan Edge is not recommended by McMillan for .338 Win Mag. Using lightweight Talleys is one of several modifications to make a heavy rifle a bit lighter, don't want a .338 Win Mag much lighter than 9 lbs including scope. Quite pleasant to shoot at that weight.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm in the same boat. Used the Talley lightweights on a couple rifles- 300 win mag and a 338 WM but wasn't sure if they would hold up and didn't want to find out on in the middle of a hunting trip so I changed them out to steel rings and Warne steel weaver style bases...
Yep, that's the problem once you get around 338 WM. The stocks often can't take the recoil and split, the lightweight mounts aren't recommended and you even have to wonder whether steel bottom metal is safer than aluminum. Especially when you use 250s or more at around 2800 fps.
I would not use Talley lightweights on any heavy recoiling rifle. They may work fine until they don't.

The McMillan Edge is not recommended by McMillan for .338 Win Mag.

Under the old Mcmillan regime I had an edge stock built for a Sako 75 that was 31 ounces complete.I called them and they said recoil was the reason. I contacted Rick and it went back to Mcmillan.

There are no caliber restrictions on a Bansner stock at all and it weighs what a Mcmillan edge does.

The stock I ordered was for a Sako 75 in 7mm Remington mangle man.
I've given up on the Talley LWs. Their steel mounts are outstanding, the aluminums not so much. I've had them break on a .308 and and a .300 WSM. Both sets were properly torqued.
Verrrry interesting. For a while those Talley Lightweights were all the rage here on the fire.

Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've given up on the Talley LWs. Their steel mounts are outstanding, the aluminums not so much. I've had them break on a .308 and and a .300 WSM. Both sets were properly torqued.
Did you run it by Talley?
Yeah, they replaced the first set. When the second set went TU, I considered it a lesson learned and didn't bother contacting them. Had I been thinking I would have used the broken crap to negotiate for a cut rate on a set of their fine QD offerings.
I've had a set on my Abolt .338 for over a decade now, never had a single issue with them.
I had a ring break on my 300 WM. I’ll be honest, I don’t know if it occurred due to the recoil of the gun or possible another gun hitting it in the safe. Either way, Talley took care of it and I’ve not had another problem. I’ll also say this, I’ve had Leupold and Burris steel rings break on lesser recoiling rifles as well. Those broke while actually firing the gun at the range. Each set that has failed in the last 12+ years were torqued according to manufacturers specs.
Got em on a whelen, 340 Wby, ulw 300 Wby and numerous other rifles, Pards got em on lw 300’s 338’s blah blah blah never seen a failure
I have used them on my 375 h&h for years no problem with hard use. The owner of Talley runs them on his 375 h&h. He told me no problem as well. He wasn’t limited to choices? Anything mechanical can and will f@ck up. Make your own choice, your rifle.
Lapped and properly torqued, especially with a light scope (which is a bigger issue than the recoil) they should be just fine, but their are better choices. My.338 wears their steel Screw Lock Detachable rings and bases.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

The light weight of the scope you are using will help a lot...

Talley LW’s are what’s on my .338 M700 XCR and have been for 500 rounds or so. They’re on all my hunting rifles. My scopes are heavier than yours... I’ll believe the Talley LW problem when I see it; all they’ve shown me is excellence.
© 24hourcampfire