Home
I don't own a suppressor, but might for deer hunting out to about 100 yards. Effectiveness and quiet are the priorities. I don't handload anymore either, so I'd use factory loaded subsonic ammunition. Some cartridges that come to mind are the .300 Blackout, .350 Legend, .45 LC, .45-70... Are the .30's and .35's quieter than the .45's or being suppressed doesn't it matter? Lots of rifles are being threaded for suppressors today, so what would you pick for quiet deer hunting?
45-70 would be easy.
I would agree that the .45-70 is probably your best bet. I've tried a .300 BO subsonic on hogs and the performance wasn't that great.

Is there a reason you want subsonic? I regularly shoot a .260 Rem and 6.5CM suppressed for both hogs and deer. The report is just a crack, similar to a .22mag and doesn't carry very far.
My 6 mm Creed, with a Dead Air suppressor shooting 105 gr Scenars at 3050 fps is very quiet, i have shot multiple Coyotes and Pigs with it and they don't know where the sound is coming from, this combo will kill any deer walking, subsonic isn't always the answer. Rio7
Suburban deer hunting just out of the city limits with neighbors who might not be pro deer hunting. Quiet for the shooter would be mostly the rifle report only. Quiet for someone within hearing distance would be sub sonic. I remember being in the pit below the 200 yard target board spotting for my buddy with his .270. The rifle report was a muffled boom, but the bullet going past made quite a crack.
A 308 with a 220 gr pill going subsonic along with a good can is what we use. Stupid quiet.
300 Blackout.....

215 grains worth

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My point on the 6mm is the critters are dead before they hear the sonic snap, if there's a lot of houses around someone is going o here it. Rio7
Sounds like a good place to bowhunt or crossbow
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
A 308 with a 220 gr pill going subsonic along with a good can is what we use. Stupid quiet.

I do the same with 170 grain 30-30 Nosler partitions. They will go through a big pig at 50 yards behind his shoulders. I haven’t shot one farther than that. The deer 100 yards away didn’t look up.
308 W/200 grain subsonic Atomic factory ammo and surpressed, out to 100 yards all you here is the click of the firing pin and the smuck as they hit and the thud when the deer hit the ground. Never tried over 100 yards and probably would not but to a hundred there is plenty there.
Anyone use a cva scout in .300 blk?

A lefty 300 blk is like looking for hens teeth...
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Lefties are around, here's one, kind of like a Scout, only T/C Contender. wink

Originally Posted by jeeper
45-70 would be easy.

Agree...

I also have .458 WM and .458 Lott barrels with threads...

Same with my 454C/.460SW... to shoot heavy 45 Long Colts.

.45LC is VERY VERY cheap to feed.
Originally Posted by captjohn
308 W/200 grain subsonic Atomic factory ammo and surpressed, out to 100 yards all you here is the click of the firing pin and the smuck as they hit and the thud when the deer hit the ground. Never tried over 100 yards and probably would not but to a hundred there is plenty there.

I do similar with a 208...

Delivered energy is about that of a 45acp... is what I tell folks that shoot mine. i.e. "shoot them in the ear hole".
I would go with the 45 LC or 45-70 if you want to shoot subsonic. I found lackluster results with the 300 BO subsonic. No expansion and no shock on the pigs I’ve shot. The 45 cal will leave a much bigger hole and blood trail. A wide flat point bullet will also transfer energy better to the target than a pointed 30 cal bullet that won’t expand at 1000 fps.

I’m interested in the new 8.6BO, but I think it may be a gimmick and subsonic bullets will be expensive. According to the creators, Q, the fast spin rate (1:3”) is what imparts energy to the target and makes better wounds…. I don’t know.

The 350 Legend suppressed is a great round but as someone stated earlier, the crack of the bullet will be there, but I don’t think people will hear that unless the bullet passes near them.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by jeeper
45-70 would be easy.

Agree...

I also have .458 WM and .458 Lott barrels with threads...

I forgot to mention... with the tiny powder charge need for subs... ALWAYS add a bit of dacron "filler" to keep the powder against the primer.
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Lefties are around, here's one, kind of like a Scout, only T/C Contender. wink

I’ve got a encore frame.

Barrel for it prolly as much a cva scout. 😂
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don't own a suppressor, but might for deer hunting out to about 100 yards. Effectiveness and quiet are the priorities. I don't handload anymore either, so I'd use factory loaded subsonic ammunition. Some cartridges that come to mind are the .300 Blackout, .350 Legend, .45 LC, .45-70... Are the .30's and .35's quieter than the .45's or being suppressed doesn't it matter? Lots of rifles are being threaded for suppressors today, so what would you pick for quiet deer hunting?

I've dealt with this same issue. If you handload you can make lots of stuff work, but if you're committed to not handloading anymore it's tougher. 300 BLK is the easy button: plenty of (often wimpy, though that is changing) subsonic ammo and the right twist rates for dealing with said ammo.

Of the others you mentioned, 45 colt with very heavy bullets is what I'd pick (heavy to keep the velocity down). The issue is going to be keeping things subsonic from a carbine length barrel. Even very wimpy 44 special loads tend to break the sound barrier from my 16" 1894.

If you decide to return to handloading, you can make do with just about any 300gr+ pistol bullet in 44 or 45 caliber. Started at 1050 fps at the muzzle you'll still have decent killing power out to 75 yards or so and good penetration as well. Between 75 and 100 there will be a lot of drop. Make sure your chosen platform has a fast enough twist rate to spin the heavies.
300 Blackout.....

215 grains worth

Nice looking bullet. What mold did that come from? Cast from a soft alloy and powder coated I wonder if that flat nose will flatten out further at 1050 fps?

I have a kimber Adirondack that's still new in the box in 300 BO. I need to get a suppressor for it and start using it. It's got a very light barrel that flares out right at the muzzle and is threaded. I think the rifle is under 5 pounds. My other blackouts are all ARs but I'll bet this little bolt gun would be super quiet.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
300 Blackout.....

215 grains worth

Nice looking bullet. What mold did that come from? Cast from a soft alloy and powder coated I wonder if that flat nose will flatten out further at 1050 fps?

I have a kimber Adirondack that's still new in the box in 300 BO. I need to get a suppressor for it and start using it. It's got a very light barrel that flares out right at the muzzle and is threaded. I think the rifle is under 5 pounds. My other blackouts are all ARs but I'll bet this little bolt gun would be super quiet.

Bb

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-203H
Nice, Muffin!

Guys, it is worth visiting that link just for a bit of fun - nearly a must if you are an engineer or have engineer-like tendencies. See some good integration of a web-based front end with CNC machining.

Design your own bullet -- with a pretty sophisticated web end.

A couple of friends dealt with this company several years ago and had a great time deciding on every detail. The results were great.

I'll probably get back into cast bullets when I retire, and this company will do some molds for me.

Even if an off-the-shelf Lee mold would do fine, as an old retired fart, I'd want the satisfaction of shooting an accurate load with a bullet that I designed! grin

John
I was faced with similar concerns. If you have a 300 bo I would use the hornady subsonic for hunting, or the Maker subsonic ammo. Both have been very accurate in my Ruger. I would prefer a 450 bushmaster or a 45-70, though. Just helps to have a bigger bullet. I do shoot subsonic slugs that I roll myself through a 28” barrel 12 ga with a rifled choke. Not suppressor quiet, but people who have been outside and 2-300 yards away in a light rain were surprised to hear I shot a deer. Saved me the cost and hassle of a suppressor and is effective out to 75 yards+.

Then again, modern crossbows will do a lot of what you’re looking for too.
Handloading would open a lot of possibilities. The 350L blows the 300 BO away in my opinion. A YHM R9 you can handle 350 Legend, 308 win, or other non-magnum cartridges.

Factory loads, I'd go 44 Mag/Special

As to Crossbows. My Excalibur Xbow s considerably louder than my Suppressed Subsonic 350L.
I wouldn't worry too much about nearby people when shooting suppressed, even with supersonics. Most "normies" wouldn't know the crack of a bullet breaking the sound barrier without the accompanying "boom" from the muzzle blast.

Last year, when hunting our property, I was in an orchard and one of the other landowners was on a ridge above me, maybe 300 yards, as the crow flies. I was using a suppressed TC Encore in 308 (17" barrel). I shot a deer and when I went to pick him up to help me load it onto the UTV, he was surprised that he didn't hear me shoot. So, unless you are literally shooting in your backyard with neighbors right there, I doubt it will even be an issue. Use supers.

If you just have to shoot subs, then I would recommend a big flat bullet, or one that is specially designed for subsonic use. Don't expect pass-throughs and don't expect good blood trails.
© 24hourcampfire