Home
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
Just picked one up for a price I couldn't pass up. I've read previous Kimber horror stories, but I'm hoping for the best. Never owned a Kimber before. Anyone have any load recommendations? 165? 180gr? Guy who owned it before was along on out last Newfoundland trip and took both a Moose and a Bear with it, so it at least shoots decent. Anything to check over other than a good cleaning?
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
There is a thread for standard Kimber checks, mainly front action screws not contacting barrel threads and mag function/binding.

I had one that shot 168 TSX’s into 0.75 MOA or better for three shots if I did my part. I used 67 ish grains of RL-19 and a CCI 250.

Hard to beat that package for everything.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
Have owned a dozen or more and never had any of the issues folks complain about. As Scorpion posted, check out that thread and bed it properly, and it will likely serve you very well!
Yes checkout the "fiddle phuuck with your kimber" thread, and be prepared to fiddle phuuck with it.

Personally I'd shoot it. If it shoots like the average kimber, rebarrel it and save on fiddle phuucking time. If it shoots within your parameters, just keep shooting.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
I have owned two Montanas chambered in .300 WSM both were excellent sub-moa shooters right out of the box no checklist needed....Good luck...Hb
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Yes checkout the "fiddle phuuck with your kimber" thread, and be prepared to fiddle phuuck with it.

Personally I'd shoot it. If it shoots like the average kimber, rebarrel it and save on fiddle phuucking time. If it shoots within your parameters, just keep shooting.

Hmm. I’m up to 9 Kimbers now. Only 1 was difficult.

I’m betting you’ve owned nowhere near that many and are just spouting off.

To the OP:

Shoot 200gr Accubonds in mine, but Federal TLR shot good too before it was discontinued. It’s under a different name now.

Just be sure you’re hanging on for that first round. I was shooting 7mm magnums the other day then switched to a Montana 300. Got a good cut on the bridge of my nose on that first shot.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
Bellydeep,

Yeah, I'm guessing it's going to have a sharp recoil. I shoot 300 RUM frequently, but that rifle weighs quite a bit more. Do you happen to reload your 200gr AB's? I have a solid supply of those already.
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
I use 71.0gr of Hunter with a WLRM primer to push a 150gr Part Gold. Good groups and 3 dead Mule Deer so far. None went more thjan 3 steps. Don't even care what the MV is.

George
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 09/30/22
I've had 2 300 WSM MT's (3 really, but the first went back to Kimber). Both shot sub moa with a wide variety of stuff. I've had 15 or 16 (losing track) Kimber MT's. All would shoot something moa, some would shoot a lot of things well.

The MT 8400 is a GREAT stock, and is the reason the round is so shootable in such a light rifle. The barrel is too light for the round, but it's still pretty shootable. I'm old enough I don't care to deal with that level of recoil anymore.

To me a 300 is all about 180's and that's all I ever shot game with in mine (I did play around with both the 200 NAB and NP though).
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/01/22
I had three 300 WSM's and used them from New Mexico to Alaska. Like Brad, I concentrated on 180's - Partitions and Accubonds with stellar results. H4350 was my standard powder. Over the years I began to get "beat up" a bit too much by the cartridge and went back to the .270 Winchester. Since then I have adapted the 6.5CM with equally great results which now account for a 5x5 bull, two cows and a Barren Ground caribou. As written here many times, a well constructed bullet with good placement is the key to success.
With over 20 Kimber on my past list, I have had to make some modifications to coax optimal accuracy in a few rifles. Using "Brad's Method", I have had great results. I will say my Mountain Ascent and the Montana 84M in 6.5CM have been great additions without the need for any "tweaking".
Unfortunately, Kimber's move to Alabama has resulted in almost no production in rifles as I monitor the usual online sites. Apparently their handgun sales are still high in demand.
Good luck to the OP and yes a good cleaning is a proper way to begin its "second career".
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/01/22
Mine is a tack driver! H4831sc and 180 NAB or even better touches holes with 190 CX at 2860 fps. All my Kimbers shoot great if I do my part.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

To the OP:

Shoot 200gr Accubonds in mine, but Federal TLR shot good too before it was discontinued. It’s under a different name now.

Just be sure you’re hanging on for that first round. I was shooting 7mm magnums the other day then switched to a Montana 300. Got a good cut on the bridge of my nose on that first shot.

Of course I haven't. If I spend over a grand on a rifle and it shoots 3" groups, I'm smart enough to never waste my money again.

Search engine "kimber montana issues". All that needs to be done. "Kimber tinkering" - translation - the end user gets to be quality control.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
I had a M70 SS Classic and a buddy had a Kimber Montana in 300WSM. Both shot 168 TTSX's @ 3100ish via R-22 very well.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
Fhuqking Brokedick Whining Pointy Headed Retards TRYING to talk rifles,never ain't not funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

The Montucky 300 Whizzum,is farrrrr and away the BEST rifle ever offered,in said chambering. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

That being said,the 7mm Whizzum fhuqking DESTROYS it,as it will happily launch .796 BC's at 2850fps+ in issued guise. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've lonnnggggg been in the business of buying Montuckies that "don't shoot" and patiently await seeing the FIRST in the flesh. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
I don't take issue with your success with said montuckys, you can have all you want.

I wasn't impressed.

To the op, shoot it. If it shoots, continue shooting. If it shoots like schiet, rebarrel it.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
I've owned 4, 1 good, 3 lemons. The 3 lemons were older guns made slightly before the "MOA accuracy standard" came along. As part of that, Kimber started doing most of the "phiddle [bleep]" for you. The 4th gun, a .308 Mountain Ascent, shoots 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 320 yards when I have the 3.5-10X on it .. usually have a 2.5-8X though.

I think a Montana in .300 WSM is pretty near ideal for a one-gun guy. It checks off a lot of the boxes. Assuming accuracy and no quirks in the chamber affecting sizing of cartridges, that is.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
It's funnier than fhuqk,that you Drooltards love to expound on all the schit you can't do,as you perfect your "Victim" status...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Joe Average sure as fhuqk ain't very bright,as you Fhuqktards quantify obliviously. Hint.

You Crying Kchunts are wellllllll shy of obtaining a FIRST fhuqking clue and your STUPIDITY never disappoints,in it's outright hilarity. I REALLY enjoy how "tricky" something as fhuqking simple as a rifle,is for you gals. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22

To the OP:

Of course I haven't. If I spend over a grand on a rifle and it shoots 3" groups, I'm smart enough to never waste my money again.

Search engine "kimber montana issues". All that needs to be done. "Kimber tinkering" - translation - the end user gets to be quality control.

I think operator error was likely the problem.

Rifles that light are hard to shoot. Definitely not for everyone.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Bellydeep,

Yeah, I'm guessing it's going to have a sharp recoil. I shoot 300 RUM frequently, but that rifle weighs quite a bit more. Do you happen to reload your 200gr AB's? I have a solid supply of those already.

Yes, I reload for mine. 4831 or RL-22 work nicely.

If you’re shooting a RUM the WSM shouldn’t be a problem.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
Regardless of how it shoots and I bet it shoots well - I'd rebarrel to 7 wsm as it's a better mousetrap in that wrapper.

To the OP:

I think operator error was likely the problem.

Rifles that light are hard to shoot. Definitely not for everyone.

I got rid of a kimber hunter in 30-06 last spring that I couldn't get to shoot better than 2" groups at 100 yards. It was my first lightweight rifle with some recoil, and looking back it was probably all me. Have a Montana 84L in 30-06 now that shoots like a dream, technique is important in the lightweights.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by Teal
Regardless of how it shoots and I bet it shoots well - I'd rebarrel to 7 wsm as it's a better mousetrap in that wrapper.

Inside 800 yards it won't make a difference. And at least 300 WSM brass is obtainable. Sort of.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by Brad

Inside 800 yards it won't make a difference. And at least 300 WSM brass is obtainable. Sort of.

I'm sitting on a PILE, 4 figures worth, of 7mm bullets and exactly zero 30 cal bullets. Big motivator for me and there's nothing I've ever done in the past with a 30 that I couldn't have done with a 7 too. Why I'd do what I said I'd do.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22
The Pointy Boot Fence Hopping Crowd,don't shoot anything other than their mouths and Imaginations. Then they like to prove it,by espousing outright Delusional Retardation. Hint.

The 7 Whizzum simply throttles the 30cal version of same,in said platform and do thusly at sealevel. Hint.

Pardon reality yet again colliding with fhuqking FANTASY. Hint.

P.S. and by the way,I hear that 30cal. false shoulders are THE way to roll in 7 Whizzum.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22

I'm sitting on a PILE, 4 figures worth, of 7mm bullets and exactly zero 30 cal bullets. Big motivator for me and there's nothing I've ever done in the past with a 30 that I couldn't have done with a 7 too. Why I'd do what I said I'd do.

This thread isn't about you, what you want, or what bullets you have. It's about the OP's new rifle. A 300 WSM. In the middle of shortages everywhere you and the resident narcissist recommend re-barreling a perfectly good rifle chambered in a round that has brass, bullets and ammo available to a round that has a severe shortage of brass and factory ammo.

Brilliant...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22
It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,how simplistic mechanical Facts,fuel soooo many Hurt Feeler Reports by the Professional "Victims". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

A Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktard who has never even SEEN let alone shot said projectile,is trying to pawn her Hormones upon others. The 7 Whizzum will simply recoil less and GREATLY outperform it's 30cal cousin. This is a BIG day for her,because now she can honestly say she's "seen" one...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Pardon a 24" Montucky 7 Whizzum squirting same,crushing even a 30" 300 Whizzum squirting 212's. Hint.

Bless her Delusional Day Dreaming heart. Hint.

Though Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Posted By: Teal Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22

This thread isn't about you, what you want, or what bullets you have. It's about the OP's new rifle. A 300 WSM. In the middle of shortages everywhere you and the resident narcissist recommend re-barreling a perfectly good rifle chambered in a round that has brass, bullets and ammo available to a round that has a severe shortage of brass and factory ammo.

Brilliant...

Quit being a [bleep] - his question was long answered before I did. As a normal conversation - things drift.

Ammo
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/03/22
Quit being a [bleep] - his question was long answered before I did. As a normal conversation - things drift.

Fair enough - but I'd have used the word DICK grin
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/04/22
You can't drink all day, if you don't start in the morning.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber Montana 300WSM - 10/05/22
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
You can't drink all day, if you don't start in the morning.

Some of these fellers couldn't handle Hopslam all day.....
© 24hourcampfire