Home
Going to be raining for the Vermont opener. I decided to sight in my Marlin XL7 30-06 and use it. I've never loaded for this rifle, just grabbed a box of my basic -06 load. Sight in was pretty dang easy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Remington 788
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Going to be raining for the Vermont opener. I decided to sight in my Marlin XL7 30-06 and use it. I've never loaded for this rifle, just grabbed a box of my basic -06 load. Sight in was pretty dang easy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I agree, the Marlin X guns were a great economy rifle, the pinnacle of development of the Savage 110 action design. Marlin just combined the best attributes of the Remington 700 ADL and the Savage 110 series to make what is basically an attractive Savage 110. I like them because they use the same barrel specs as the small shank Savage 110 series, so you can swap barrels easily and relatively inexpensively. I thought that Freedom Group should have morphed the X guns into a Remington when the bought Marlin, but instead they chose the 783. I've yet to meet someone who spent any length of time around the Marlin X guns without liking them at least a little.
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Remington 788
+1
Marlin X gun for me too.
Remington 788 was what came to my mind when I read the post header.
Thompson center ventura
Espeacially if someone was to make an aftermarket trigger for a
Still have 2 xs-7's a blued 308 and an ss in 7-08. They do shoot...nb
Steven's 200, but with a better trigger...
Stevens 200s are so expensive when you find them, might as well buy a used Savage 10/110
I had an xl7 and fully agree. I remember going to a private range during “sight in days” where public could pay a fee to use the just before gun season right after I had worked up some loads for the gun. I shot a 4 shot group at 200 yards. One of the old crusty members who was helping with the event went and retrieved the target as I asked if I could get it for a closer look. Upon bringing it back, he had suddenly turned friendly and wanted to know what gun I was shooting. Group measured .65” for 4 shots at 200yards. I showed him the $250 xl7 in 25-06 and he was in disbelief. Those guns were very accurate and felt good to carry. Of course I sold it a while later…🙄
Its a toss up for me between the 788 and the Venture.
Those were good rifles in their day, but they were discontinued because something better came along. If I had a Marlin X gun, a 788, or a TC in the safe I'd use it, but can't think of a good reason to buy one when for the same money or less I can do better.

Stevens 200s are so expensive when you find them, might as well buy a used Savage 10/110

The 200 is a Savage 110 with a different color stock.
Marlin 336
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Remington 788
+1

+2
I have or have had all of these, and I'd buy them again.

Winchester 670
Remingtonn 788
Stevens 200
Marlin XS/XL 7
T/C Venture

Just currently have the Rem 788 and Stevens 200.
Winchester 670, I honestly believe that the hammer forged barrels on these rifles were some of the most accurate sporter weight barrels made.
And the lowly JC Higgins model 50 (FN 98 with High Standard chrome lined barrel). Walk out of the store with a box of cheap ammo, and shoot moa with no tuning or tinkering. I doubt that it was just coincidence that I had 3 of them over the years in .270, that would do just that, with any old Winchester, Remington or Federal ammo, that happened to be on sale.
Based on what is handwritten on your target I'll say that your scope works as it (and all others) should.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Remington 788
+1

+2
Agree 788!
Another 788 fan . Savage 340 was a fine rifle for the money in the cartridges it was offered for.
IMO the best econo rifle ever is the Ruger American series. But then, I like a good trigger. They are so popular there is a used market, as well.
BS,

It's a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 3P#4 Illuminated dot. I was only minutes away from getting some heavy rain. I gave it two clicks left then shot the 4 inch 100 yard plate and 8 inch two hundred yard plate. Good to go.
The cheap Remington 700s at Wallyworld and Academy before the bankruptcy. Also the cheap Weatherby Vanguards about 5+ rears ago. These were rifles built to last a lifetime. No plastic mags or bolt parts.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
IMO the best econo rifle ever is the Ruger American series. But then, I like a good trigger. They are so popular there is a used market, as well.

Agreed
While all mentioned rifles work as intended, the TC Venture was a superior built rifle. It is a bit heavy but fit and finish seems far above the other brands.
Seems it wasn't too long ago that Marlin lever guns were considered budget guns.
Savage 219 was offered in a combo deal with two barrels. Most common was 30-30 and 20 gauge barrels. This single shot was famous for its accuracy.

Sherwood
Winchester M 69
Tikka T3.

Used to be a budget gun anyway.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Seems it wasn't too long ago that Marlin lever guns were considered budget guns.

Now they're gold. Guys want $7-800 now for a Glenfield or Western Auto Marlin. It's nuts. Same thing for Ted Williams Winchester 94s
Handi rifle
Model 70 or 94 ranger series
It wasn't a KMart special type of econo rifle but it was priced about the same as a Remington 700: SigArms SHR 970. I still have mine with a few barrels and it's the best OEM shooter I've ever had.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Handi rifle
Yes definitely that one
Marlin X7.

It was stupid leadership at Remington that discontinued it. The same leadership that bankrupted them I believe. Shocker….
There a a few exceptions but most budget rifles are cheap because they are built cheaply with inferior junk parts. I own one such rifle. It shoots good but otherwise it’s ugly and built cheaply.

I would rather have 2 or 3 heirloom quality rifles than 3 safes full of junk budget rifles. Even if I had to save a couple extra months for a quality rifle/scope.
Ruger American Predator Series.

Chinese SKS (1960s) Series.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
There a a few exceptions but most budget rifles are cheap because they are built cheaply with inferior junk parts. I own one such rifle. It shoots good but otherwise it’s ugly and built cheaply.

I would rather have 2 or 3 heirloom quality rifles than 3 safes full of junk budget rifles. Even if I had to save a couple extra months for a quality rifle/scope.

When you hit what you aim at, where you aim at...does NOT matter if its an heirloom when actually shooting.

Nice to own beautiful, valuable or hard-to-acquire, well cared for firearms, however.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

When you hit what you aim at, where you aim at...does NOT matter if its an heirloom when actually shooting.

Nice to own beautiful, valuable or hard-to-acquire, well cared for firearms, however.

I’m not talking about show pieces. I’m talking about quality built rifles that are accurate as well.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Marlin XS/XL 7

^^ This one ^^
Remington 788
I like it……
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the old Remington sportsman 78. I've got a couple custom guns built off of that action.
Remington 600 Mohawk. liked the 788 too,
I don’t think 600/660’s were cheap, 788’s were, that’s my vote.👊🏻
Originally Posted by Remsen
It wasn't a KMart special type of econo rifle but it was priced about the same as a Remington 700: SigArms SHR 970. I still have mine with a few barrels and it's the best OEM shooter I've ever had.

Remsen, I am with you! The SHR 970 is a hard to beat!
Most all of those posted that are discontinued
cost way too much on the used market now.
Even the Handi rifles are priced outrageous
I have a few, but wouldn't try to buy one now for
what people ask for them
Originally Posted by Remsen

Wish I hadn't sold my 7mm mag SHR970! VERY accurate!
Another vote for the Remington 788
No brainer. Rem 788
Marlin xs or xl 7 shoot damn good and you'll never lose the magazine or forget it at home...that's the no brainer..mb
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I have just one. I sure like mine. The next best econo rifle would be a tie between the Remington ADL (I know, not really an econo rifle) and a Savage Aixs.

kwg
Originally Posted by rickt300
Remington 600 Mohawk. liked the 788 too,

Either, or both of the above get my votes - updated a bit to include a composite stock.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Those were good rifles in their day, but they were discontinued because something better came along. If I had a Marlin X gun, a 788, or a TC in the safe I'd use it, but can't think of a good reason to buy one when for the same money or less I can do better.

Yes, but when they were being made, they retailed for a good deal less than a 10/110
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Marlin 336

30TK
Such a thing never existed for lefties other than the plain Marlin and Winchester dept store rifles in 30-30. I would surmise the best we lefties got was the Tikka and Ruger 77 and Hawkeye. We got screwed
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Such a thing never existed for lefties other than the plain Marlin and Winchester dept store rifles in 30-30. I would surmise the best we lefties got was the Tikka and Ruger 77 and Hawkeye. We got screwed
What are the lefties, 25% of the population ? Although, I agree, you guys get screwed in the bolt action firearms department. I guess it comes down to $$$$. My brother is a lefty. He has to make due in a right hand world.

kwg
When I was young and learning to shoot, you
didn't just waltz down to the gun store and buy
any left hand rifles. You could have one made if
you had the money.
My daddy was like " here's a gun. You'll have to
learn to shoot it straight or do without. . ."
So I became a right handed shooter
I still have the 788 in .222 I bought the first week they hit the market in 1967. It served me well for years. I love 788’s and would grab one in 30-30 if I came across the rights one at the right time. My brother still has his in .243. The early ones like my .222 had walnut stocks. Within a short time they went to “ hardwood.” They had their shortcomings. They were not what you’d call a “smooth” action, kind of clunky in fact. My brother’s, like a number of them, had the brazed on bolt handle fall off. He took it in the front door at Remington in Ilion and they fitted a new bolt while he waited in the lobby. Considering the real value of money, the Remington 700 in .270 I bought as a loaner 12 or 15 years ago was cheaper, even with the generic “package” scope ( that still works fine.) It put 3 factory 150 Coreloks under an inch twice while I sighted it in…first to establish poi relative to poa and second to confirm the adjustments which were right on. It’s since killed a lot of deer, most recently 2 last month for one of my nephews. I’d say that was a pretty good bargain rifle.
I bought a 788 in 22-250 in 1974 I think it was. It shot well. I would agree with cra1948's description. Mine had a rather poor trigger and the "hardwood" stock. I think I paid $100 for it but I'm not certain.

In '77 I bought a Remington Mohawk 600 chambered in 308. It, too, shot well and had a very heavy trigger. It had enough recoil that it wasn't much fun to shoot after 15-20 rounds of heavily loaded Sierra 180 gr boat tails. It always made me glad I hadn't bought one of the 350 Rem mags!

Anyway, both were decent rifles and I wish I hadn't traded them away.
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Savage catered to lefties better than most.
I'd bet they sold to lefties better than eighties by percent.

But the 110 was only a budget gun compared to others.
It was Savage's only offering for quite awhile.
For current rifles, Ruger Americans are good as was the XS7. For my use they really need iron sights and that really raises the price.

My all time favorite is the Winchester Ranger pushfeed with the great iron sights. I scared up Tupperware stocks for mine to save the wood.

In lever guns, the 30TK Marlin is a model that deserves another run.
Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t think 600/660’s were cheap, 788’s were, that’s my vote.👊🏻

I bought one for $99. (circa 1973) at a Gibsons in Dallas. Brand new wish I had several of them to play with.
I looked at a new to me rifle this afternoon that I was VERY impressed with. The rifle was a Smith & Wesson in 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't know S&W was even in the rifle bidniz....but then it's been a very long time since I was in the Gun Bidnizz as a factory rep.

With the All Black composite stock and metal work, it fit me like as if I had drawn it up, even if it was a tad heavy in comparison to the Ruger and Savage competition. Ummm mebbe was a 24" barrel didn't measure the barrel , and a VERY SOLID LOOKING EXTRACTOR - especially compared to my Kentucky built Marlin Model 7 Stainless's Original extractor that failed on the very 1st shot from brand new.

OBTW The price point in the store on the S&W was WAY under the Ruger American I'd gone in the store to buy and IMO way better balanced feeling when I was standing and mounting the rifle's cheek piece to my cheek like I was looking at Bambi's GRAND Daddy and too scared to take the shot. Only drawback I can think might be the rifle, w/out a scope, is a tad heavy for my short arms almost 80 year old arms , but well balanced enough for my short arms. I also liked the solid bottom enclosed magazine follower too ...less trash and water can get in the enclosed Magazine Well that way for a rifle I intend to use in the most miserable conditions I know of.

So, anybody got any comments ?? pro or con or AM I GONNA BE THE 1ST Guinea Pig to ask for Info & Opinions? I just hope the S&W rifle is still there in the morning....there is only ONE of 'em in stock right now.
Ron
It's likely a closeout tc venture.

Great rifles.
I did see a TC stamp on it, don't remember where right now but was surprised at seeing a TC Stamp on the rifle. Store staff said that they are only getting one of these every month or so, and thought they could sell all of 'em they could get.
Ron
Just got off the phone and the S&W CM is on hold for me to pick up in the morning....who'da thunk you could buy a rifle like this for $300 NIB + TTL. I'll sleep good tonite for sure. Got well over a K of 6.5 bullets to play with too.
Ron
By budget - do you mean great value?

If so I’d go Tikka T3x or Kimber 84m Classic. Both far out kick their coverage.

If you just mean best bang for low money I’m in the Stevens 200 camp. I’m not a 788 guy - just couldn’t get past the rear locking lugs deal. Those Stevens when first released were like $329 lol.
PoC,

By economy rifle I do mean cheap money. While I know that can be relative to a person's income, I think we all know that over the last 5-10 years, a 3-400 hundred dollar bolt rifle fits this category. While I don't have any desire to have a safe full of this kind of rifle, having a couple of them to use is not a bad thing.

I bought that Marlin XL7 for $279. To me, that's a hell of a deal. I bought and gave my brother 3 Ruger Americans. The most I paid for one was $284 for a stainless .243 Win.

There have been a lot of post here with good examples. With today's economy I think a rifle in the 4-500 dollar range probably falls in to the economy rifle bracket.
Marlin XL/XS 7's
savage 200
Walmart/Academy Sports rem 700
Browning A-Bolt II. Wasn't cheap when it was new, but by the time they were discontinued they only cost a pittance. I bought my first one for $330 in 2013, and have bought a couple used ones for $500ish over the years. Quality, accurate, solid rifles. Not the cheapest thing out there, but in my opinion one of the cheapest rifles that works like a high end rifle and feels quality, unlike an American which shoots great but feels like crap
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.
I bought two Steven 200 rifles on a close out deal for $180 each. One in .270 and one in 7-08. I did some polishing and spring changes on the triggers. My intention was for these to be loaner/ATV/truck rifles which they have excelled at. They quickly became my most used rifles. Those two rifles have accounted for a tremendous amount of animals between myself and the many people I have loaned them out to. Some of the best money I have ever spent.
Stevens 200.
Originally Posted by aboltfan
PoC,

By economy rifle I do mean cheap money. While I know that can be relative to a person's income, I think we all know that over the last 5-10 years, a 3-400 hundred dollar bolt rifle fits this category. While I don't have any desire to have a safe full of this kind of rifle, having a couple of them to use is not a bad thing.

I bought that Marlin XL7 for $279. To me, that's a hell of a deal. I bought and gave my brother 3 Ruger Americans. The most I paid for one was $284 for a stainless .243 Win.

There have been a lot of post here with good examples. With today's economy I think a rifle in the 4-500 dollar range probably falls in to the economy rifle bracket.

I’ve got to say the Ruger American series are great rifles. Reliable and more accurate than they should be for the price. I own two ranch rifles and I’m impressed.
Tikka before they became mainstream.
The CVA cascade has my attention right now. Anyone have one care to comment.
It is hard to leave those Walmart closeout Vanguards of a few years ago out of this discussion. I bought three of the wood stocked 243s at $325 ea. I still have one.

It gets my vote for third place, only because it was a closeout deal and not regular price.

Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.

2'nd place goes to that Winchester "Black Shadow" kit. I bought one in 300 Win Mag 30 years ago new at Walmart for $300. The 3-9x32 Simmons went on a 22 and a decent scope went on the 300.

Winchester's discount rifles still had their wonderful user adjustable trigger. I lightened the trigger pull and glassed the action into the tupperware. But the rifle never shot to my expectations. I sold it to a workmate after showing him my targets. He and his sons have been killing deer and elk with it for over 25 years.

My first place vote goes to the old Win 670 push feed. I have had two, both in 30-06. With trigger adjustment and glass bedding they both shot inside .75 MOA with 165 gr BTs or Sierra 165 gr game king HP, and the second one also with the Hornady 190 gr boat tail spire point.

It is essentially the same rifle as the later Black Shadow synthetic. But for the "hardwood" stock.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Marlin XS/XL 7
^^ This one ^^

+2!
About this time last year I bought a Marlin XL 7 SS 270. Made in Kentucky from a very old dealer friend I had helped get into the bidnizz back in the early/mid '80's. Got it scoped up and headed to the range in anticipation of a perfect go anywhere anytime rig. Opened a box of older WW factory ammo and sent a round down range....perfect 1st shot, made a couple more rounds downrange and then Oh SxxT !! somethin's wrong here... let the rifle cool a while Then tried to open the bolt again ....ugh it was stuck. Finally used the butt of my gloved up hand a few times on the bolt handle and Wah Lah !!! it opened ...but with the tinkling sound of gun parts hitting the cement side walk and inside the composite stock are still ringing in my ears every time I pick the Marlin 270 up.

Been almost a year looking to find someone who could find the Savage extractor necessary to the repair job. Then found a guy next couty north of me who said UH HUH I can fixit and I laughed. He called me a week later and said $81 please sir and the Marlin cycles like a new one should .

I am still waiting on the weather to clear, as most of the range's bench's are not under a roof....but I can cycle the bolt slicker than blowing you nose full of snot now that the bolt is slicker than greased poop.

Shooting single shots & using a cleaning rod to knock the spent rounds out of the chamber, the rifle shoot's a reliable 1/2" group in almost any thing in factory ammo I've run thru it so far....I smile everytime I think about how close I got to dumping the rifle in the river and calling my Insurance Agent about the rifle that was "stolen" outta the truck. I took a large hog with it that thought he was hiding and peeking at me thru a hand sized hole in some really dense brush at about 150- 170 yards ...bang flop....gotta luv happy endings.

The Marlin X guns were discontinued because Freedom Group bought Marlin and chose not to continue making them as competition against their existing line of entry level Remingtons.

The T-C were discontinued because S&W bought T-C and chose to discontinue the entire T-C line.

I don't know why Remington discontinued the 788s, but Remington is well known for making poor choices.

What would you buy that is better for equal or less money?
Why does there have to be an economy rifle. Why are folks so averse to spending good money on quality products?

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The Marlin X guns were discontinued because Freedom Group bought Marlin and chose not to continue making them as competition against their existing line of entry level Remingtons.

The T-C were discontinued because S&W bought T-C and chose to discontinue the entire T-C line.

I don't know why Remington discontinued the 788s, but Remington is well known for making poor choices.

Because Remington itself was discontinued
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Why does there have to be an economy rifle. Why are folks so averse to spending good money on quality products?

Because you can get a light, accurate rifle for not a lot of money. And they're reliable
Originally Posted by moosemike

Because you can get a light, accurate rifle for not a lot of money. And they're reliable
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm missing my Stevens 200 22-250. I sold it to a buddy that needed a good yote rifle. That rifle has one of the best barrels I've seen on a rifle. "Economy" or not..

I could point you to a dozen examples of "quality products" that cost "good money" that were fuucking pieces of shiit. And that's just in the realm of hunting rifles. Throwing money at something doesn't equal making it better.

That said, there's the idea that a lot of people don't want or need something expensive, just so they can say they got "quality."

In other words, economy is not at odds with quality. The most expensive rifle in this house doesn't feed for shiit, and the safety is really sticky. It's sure accurate though. The cheapest rifle in this house feeds just fine, and the safety works just fine. And it sure is accurate. There is a factor of 7 in the price differential between these two rifles, and they are both chambered in the same cartridge.
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
Marlin XR-7(correct me if I am wrong, the original Marlin X series)
Winchester Model 70 Ranger or the 670
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

What does that mean?

Freedom Group discontinued the Marlin X guns long before Remington failed.
Originally Posted by Darryle
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

The Marlin RL7 was a totally different rifle design, sort of the hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Winchester 70.

The Marlin XL7 and XS7 are a hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Savage 110. The X guns have the same kind of floating bolt head and barrel nut that makes setting the headspace easy. Plus they use the same barrel thread pitch and tenon diameter as the small shank Savage 110 series rifles, so installing Savage 110 specs barrels is quite easy.

What does that mean?

Freedom Group discontinued the Marlin X guns long before Remington failed.
Because I missed where he said "Remington 788" and I read it as "783". The 783 ended when Remington ended. But that wasn't what he was talking about
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

The Marlin RL7 was a totally different rifle design, sort of the hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Winchester 70.

The Marlin XL7 and XS7 are a hybrid design that borrowed attributes from the Remington 700 and Savage 110. The X guns have the same kind of floating bolt head and barrel nut that makes setting the headspace easy. Plus they use the same barrel thread pitch and tenon diameter as the small shank Savage 110 series rifles, so installing Savage 110 specs barrels is quite easy.

Marlin MR-7
I have been accused of being "cheap" I personally prefer "thrifty" but you get the idea....
I must say I love me some Savage 10, 110, etc... Stevens 200... love them all. Have stacks of barrels and am constantly swapping parts about... fun stuff
I have learned they shoot, really well and currently all my long range guns are Savages, they do have custom barrels, stocks etc.... but they just work, are cheap and fun.
Ted Williams Model 53
T/C Venture
H&R Handi
Remington 600/660

Marlin MR-7

You're right, MR-7, not RL-7, I realized that about 30 seconds after I pushed Post Reply.
Marlin MR-7

That is it, I had one in all 5 calibers, 25'06, 270, 280, 308 and 30'06, actually 2 of the 25'06 versions.

I paid $288 + tax back in the late 90s, I'd donate someone's left testicle for a NIB one today.
JC Higgins models 50 and 51. Remington 78, Winchester 70 Ranger, I usually buy them off the used racks if they are priced right.
A pre-64 Model 70...

Heh, don't look at me funny, it's fits the description...

But they really should come back with lh models, that they never had.
MOST for the least,as Killing Rifles go? Hint.

Barrett Fieldcraft S/A's...nothing else is in the same fhuqking realm. Hint................
To

I think that people want to have a rifle and not be afraid to scratch it up a little. Many people that I meet will buy or inherit an expensive gun and set it in a safe and never hunt it or even shoot it. I buy them to use, and I’m always looking for an honest ‘meat gun’. Oftentimes when a lower priced model develops a reputation for above average performance, people naturally flock to it. They want a rifle to beat on and abuse and not feel like it’s ruined if a scratch or rust appears.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

Mine had as good a trigger as you could ask for in a factory rifle.......probably a little pull heavy, but crisp....no creep.
© 24hourcampfire