Home
Hello One And All.....
What do you guys want to see in the next iteration of the Lipsey's Hawkeye African? If they produce one that is.

I have the 6.5x55 they produced and it is the most accurate out-of-box rifle I have. Not to mention, in my opinion, the best looking rifle I own.

I would like to see the next one in the good ol' 30-06.
A lefty chambered in something that kills deer and readily available
I’d like a 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel. Or, a 338 win mag.
I'm holding out for .318 or .425 W.R. .....and holding, and holding....
How about a 300 or .375 H&H or 7x57. Something that says Africa
Originally Posted by OGB

+2 ... Won't happen. But sweet dreams...
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
How about a 300 or .375 H&H or 7x57. Something that says Africa

They already did the 7x57. Ruger called it the .275 Rigby.
I think a 9.3X62 would be fun.
6.5 creed. I’m having a hard time finding a rifle chambered as such.
.358 Winchester. It sounds cool and in some States you can use it for deer hunting while anything smaller diameter can't be used.

kwg
30-06 is my choice
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

It has already been done. Fantastic rifle!

RS
If it's an odd-6 I'd be interested.
350 legend?
300 H&H
Nothing says Africa like the 280 Ackley.

Which means the next version will be a Creedmoor.
300 H&H
This is me being nice.
This is me not offending.

This is me being PC!
300 H&H be that cats ass..
Or 8x57 be pretty cool
We're not going to see it in .300 H&H or .375 H&H, those take an action longer than Ruger's current M77s. They work with the '06 length magnums, 3.34" max OAL. Ruger dropped their H&H length rifles a long time ago. Probably the most africa-ey thing you'd squeeze into an '06 length action would be a .458 Win Mag ... at least, things that haven't been done in quite a few years.
How about something that I'll probably never need but would probably buy like 404 Jeffrey.
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
How about something that I'll probably never need but would probably buy like 404 Jeffrey.

+1.

Just what I was thinking. And they'd be smart enough to prod Big H to get off the stick and pump out some brass.

Make it weigh somewheres between 9lb - 10lb. Just Dandy.
7mm Rem or .300 Win

Those saw (and still see I’ll bet) a lot of African action.

.338 might be another good one, if we’re talking a rifle to really be used on safari. I just like them making ones with iron sights.
8x57 or 458WM
6.8 western would be mad, bro
I have two of each when they have come out; 275 Rigby, 6.5x55, & 9.3x62. These three had small barrel contours and weighed about 7lbs. I would like them to keep this format, and make the next one in 35 Whelen or 30.06. Or both!! 🤞
And,….338.06!

OK, 280 Rem. too.
The chamberings that would peak my interest would be a 404 J, 270 Win, or 338-06. But then I am a 270 and 338-06 slut.
.30-06 for me
When will they announce the new run?
Originally Posted by hotsoup
30-06 is my choice
This would be grand.
7x64 Brenneke would be top choice. 358 Win #2. 318 WR #3.
Of course, there is no guarantee that Lipsey’s will even resume this line.

I wonder if the supply chain is the problem, or capitalization, or if the last caliber sold well enough, which was the 280AI. That rifle had a bigger barrel contour than the previous three, and I felt it lost its balance and was a bit muzzle heavy. Hopefully, if they resume production, whatever caliber they choose, it will have the previous muzzle contour and light weight. I think those will sell well, especially in something as well loved as the 30.06. (or 35 Whelen )👍🤞
The barrel contour used on the Lipsey's 9.3x62mm is lighter than on the other Ruger version. Plenty fine for a magazine's worth of shooting.

I like the Lipsey's version and all up with a small, fixed scope is 8.5 lbs.
A LH model in 6.5x55,7mm or 30-06 please.
Whatever they decide, let's hope Ruger WILL ship!

I fail to understand how Ruger's earnings seem to grow yearly, yet the LGS can't get chit from shinola for guns from Ruger other than the odd American. Mind boggling......
I had one in .275 Rigby and it was one of the worst shooting factory rifle I have owned. That said. It was accurate enough to hunt with and I killed a few pigs with it.

I'd like to see one chambered in .303 Brit, .300h&h wouldn't suck either.
Had a Rigby, it was too pretty to hunt with. Shot well with tailored loads, though. Probably should have kept it. Oh well. With Africa in mind, the 318 WR gets my vote.

Old70
This is what Ruger African balsa-wood looks like after a few boxes of factory 416 ruger:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That stock took a beating from that 416
I was going to say 7x57 and 9.3x62 but they have already been done. So I'd agree with the 7x64 and 8x57. Good old African rounds.

280 AI?? I wonder how they're selling? I think the Arican rifle is the wrong model for that round. I'd pick the 6.5x55 every single time.
7x64 or 404J.

I'd buy both
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
This is what Ruger African balsa-wood looks like after a few boxes of factory 416 ruger:

Holy cow! shocked Did Ruger replace the stock?

As mentioned above - the 9.3x62 has aleady been done. The 1st iteration with a heavy barrel in Circassian walnut, and the 2nd iteration with light barrel, standard walnut and black forend tip.
250-3000
Originally Posted by Bill_N
300 H&H

This
Originally Posted by kwg020
.358 Winchester. It sounds cool and in some States you can use it for deer hunting while anything smaller diameter can't be used.

kwg

A 358Win in a scaled down Express Rifle would be very cool.
The 300 H&H and 404 Jeffery have been mentioned a couple of times, but they will not fit in a long action. The 416 Ruger fits as does the 416 Taylor, but they too are standard long action rounds. So, no 404J or 300 H&H. Sorry!
The Lipsey’s African is a light weight, slim profile, small contour barrel rifle, so I don’t even think rounds like the 416 Ruger would be a good fit. This rifle probably maxes out with something like the the 9.3x62.

Hence, cartridges like a 270, 280, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen, etc. are more in line I believe with the LIPSEY’S Ruger African vs. RUGER’S African, which indeed includes the 375 & 416 Ruger rounds. Ruger’s African rifle is a bigger, beefier rifle with bigger stock & larger heavier contour barrel.
Another run of the 9.3x62 would awesome. I won't drag my feet and pass it up if there's a next time.
I'll 2nd the .303 Brit. How many African animals died at the other end of one do you suppose?

Todd
They should just make a limited run of 9.3x62s every year.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
They should just make a limited run of 9.3x62s every year.

Indeed.
Lots of good suggestions. I’ve been hoping for a 30-06 but would also jump on one in 7x64 or 338-06. The 358 would be a jewel with a 22in bbl. My 9.3 had wood that was pretty plain and kicked a bit heavy for me. Someone else owns it now.

The local Cabelas had a new Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 recently. It’s been in their inventory for awhile and has some dings in the stock from all its time on the rack.
30-06
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

The local Cabelas had a new Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 recently. It’s been in their inventory for awhile and has some dings in the stock from all its time on the rack.

Please send location!
.30-06 would be good for a user, I had one in 9.3x62 and wouldn't do that again. Loaded up it wasn't much fun to shoot, loaded down it was inferior to the '06 in most ways I care about and was more expensive to load.
I would hurt myself getting my wallet out if they did a .318 Westley Richards

It's already out there
404 Jeffrey
You guys need to look at threads on the rest of the Campfire. Apparently you are not aware that in a few years there will only be one cartridge manufactured, the 6.5 Creedmore. I would definitely pass on that one.
But given my choice it would be the 30/06. It traveled with TR as a 30/03. Hemingway, and Ruark extolled it's virtues and it still works.
Bfly
458 Win
308 Norma
Mainer, did you by chance remove the barreled action from that .416 and then put it back? That’s what I did with my .358 and found out the hard way that the factory torque specs for the 77 front screen are 92 inch lbs. My .358 stock cracked into kindling.
In the old 77V a guy needed to exercise care loading 220 Swifts in the mag and they are semi rimmed. Can't even imagine what Ruger would have to do to get a full rimmed cartridge like the 303 to function in a hawkeye.. They don't do any quality control on Ruger Americans doubt if they are going to do any on a new line either their bean counters are trashing the brand...mb
I have one in 6.5x55 and its rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles.

I know that I have been thinning the herd but if Lipsey's was turn out another run in 7x64 or 30-06 I'd have to get one.

StarchedCover
If Ruger is willing to rip off the Lithuanian M98 mag box and feed rail dimensions for the 303 Brit, I'll leave burn marks on my Dickie's getting my wallet out fast enough to buy one.
Originally Posted by Puddle
The barrel contour used on the Lipsey's 9.3x62mm is lighter than on the other Ruger version. Plenty fine for a magazine's worth of shooting.

W/ a VX-1 2-7x33mm...

Would like to see one in .270 Win.

GR

Not true. My 416 ruger African weighs 8 lbs 6 oz scoped with a 2.5 power fixed scope.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Mainer, did you by chance remove the barreled action from that .416 and then put it back? That’s what I did with my .358 and found out the hard way that the factory torque specs for the 77 front screen are 92 inch lbs. My .358 stock cracked into kindling.

PA, I never checked torque. Mine cracked where end grain ran out near back of mag box. Nothing to do with action screws. The wood is as light as balsa wood and the grain isn't perfectly straight-through. Combine that with an insane amount of recoil, and that is the end result.

Will try this stock next:

https://hsprecision.com/product/pss033/

PA, I never checked torque. Mine cracked where end grain ran out near back of mag box. Nothing to do with action screws. The wood is as light as balsa wood and the grain isn't perfectly straight-through. Combine that with an insane amount of recoil, and that is the end result.

The comb on that one looks like a good fit for a scope or irons. Should be good on that .416

Not true. My 416 ruger African weighs 8 lbs 6 oz scoped with a 2.5 power fixed scope.

On the contrary...

Absolutely true.

The RUGER Hawkeye African 9.3x62mm came w/ a truck axle Bbl. compared to the light contour Bbl. on the Lipsey's.

[Linked Image from gunblast.com]

GR
Garand,
What I was referring to was the weight.

Obviously the larger caliber ruger Africans have a larger countour barrel, but they're not heavy.

At the recoil level of the 375 ruger and the 416 ruger, the barrel contour is appropriate. I wouldn't want them any lighter.
If they announce a left hand 7x57, I will order one the next day!

Yes, I know I am dreaming!
Like several of the earlier posters, I would love to see something (anything!) in a left-handed model. For an African I would really hope that it would be a LH in a classic or medium bore caliber. My wishlist (which I'm not holding my breath will appear) is:

300 H&H (zero chance because of the action length)
35 Whelen
275 Rigby (7x57 being a secondary equivalent choice)
9.3x62
257 Roberts
7x64 Brenneke (I'm frustrated by the limited ammo selection in the US)
25-06
6.5x55 (Great caliber but I already own one)

If Ruger made a LH African model in 308 or 30-06, I'd still buy one but it would lose a few points for being chambered in a practical & affordable caliber.

Mainer, I have one of the earlier Ruger Hawkeye African models, in .375 Ruger. The stock split in a couple of places after 90 rounds were fired thru it. Rather than fussing with Ruger, I just ordered a McMillan stock, Magnum fill, in their Mcwoody pattern. It has been a great stock, with a couple hundred rounds fired, and no problems whatsoever. This stock will not split!
LEFTYS UNITE!!!!!!!!

Let's start a petition for a lefty "African" to Lipey's.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

A 358Win in a scaled down Express Rifle would be very cool.

.358 Win for…well, the Win! 😎
Bighorn, yep I don't doubt it. Too much recoil for balsa wood, plain and simple.

Doc,
As much moose meat as I've put away with a .358 winchester, It's hard to beat Ruger's 338 rcm carbine. It already does what you're looking for: a short action "micro-express" rifle.

6.5 lbs with open sights, 7.5 lbs scoped. Holds 4 in the magazine with a simple flip of the mag follower.

Scope is sighted to 225 grain boat tail bullets at 2650.

Open sights are sighted to 275 grain swift A-frames at 2300 fps.

Did someone say 358Win African?....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Garand,
What I was referring to was the weight.

Obviously the larger caliber ruger Africans have a larger countour barrel, but they're not heavy.

At the recoil level of the 375 ruger and the 416 ruger, the barrel contour is appropriate. I wouldn't want them any lighter.

The Lipsey's African 9.3... was sure made for carryin'.

8>)

GR
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WOW!! .... Nice rifle!
Originally Posted by Stump Buster

Okay! You've convinced me that 358 Win is the way to go. Now just move the bolt to the other side of the rifle... grin

OK.
You convinced me to replace my tiger-striped Ruger factory balsa wood with a B&C Medalist stock.
Went there and ordered one just now.
There is a "Pre-Christmas" sale on for Dec. 15 & 16, 2022, get 15% off.
$48 comes off at checkout when you buy a $320 stock, it becomes $272 +$15 shipping.

Ruger M77 MKII and Hawkeye Sporter Stock, Long Action, #1055.

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1157

Says it has a "factory Ruger magnum contour" barrel channel.
Maybe no sanding of barrel channel will be required for my rifle.
13.65" LOP and weighs "Approximately 2.0 lbs."
Full 6061-T6 aluminum endoskeleton from grip to forearm tip.

This is the 5th one of the B&C Medalist stocks I have bought.
Very satisfying. I prefer them over the HS Precision of which I have 3.
I like black with red spider web.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
350 legend?

That would be BIG seller!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nothing says Africa like the 280 Ackley.

Which means the next version will be a Creedmoor.

I handled one at a gun show on Saturday. Very tempting and fairly priced.
How about a .416 Ruger
Rifle crank, are the pistol grips clubby and slippery on the bell and carlson ruger stocks?

Of the two, which stock hast the narrowest pistol grip?

My main rifle for years, was a CZ 550 kevlar carbine in 9.3x62. It was a B&C stock, pistol grip was all sorta wrong. No biggie, but I do appreciate narrower pistol grips. I got skinny Indian fingers.

9.3 lashed against rear thwart:

Rifle crank, are the pistol grips clubby and slippery on the bell and carlson ruger stocks?

Of the two, which stock hast the narrowest pistol grip?

My main rifle for years, was a CZ 550 kevlar carbine in 9.3x62. It was a B&C stock, pistol grip was all sorta wrong. No biggie, but I do appreciate narrower pistol grips. I got skinny Indian fingers.

9.3 lashed against rear thwart:

mainer_in_ak,

Sorry for not getting back sooner.
I see the 9.3 in excellent composition above, heh-heh-heh.

I find the B&C stock for Ruger M77 Mk II/Hawkeye is indeed a bit slimmer in the grip than the B&C CZ550 Mag stock.
They do both have palm swells for right-handed shooter.
The HS Precision does not have a palm swell on the old one I got over a decade ago,
yet it is about a half-pound heavier than the B&C Ruger stock.

The B&C CZ stock weighs about 2.5 pounds, same as the HS Precision Ruger stock.
Out of the box, the B&C Ruger stock weighed only 1# 14 oz.
B&C advertised it at "approximately 2.0 pounds" which it is,
if no more than two ounces of epoxy bedding is added, eh ?

I have a couple pictures here, comparing profiles of my old HS Precision on a .458 WM Ruger Mk II
with the new B&C "Medalist" type for the Ruger Hawkeye on a .400 Whelen:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will get some more pics comparing the CZ and other views of HS-P and B&C,
and wrap a tape measure around the middle of the grips ...
H-S Precision at top and B&C below it,
Ruger M77 Mk II and Hawkeye respectively,
H-S Precision is 1/16" smaller circumference in mid pistol grip and has no palm swell,
B&C has palm swell for right hand:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then there are these, both B&C-made,
the CZ 550 Magnum is 3/16" bigger in circumference than the Ruger M77 Hawkeye:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like the feel of the Ruger better than the CZ.
Besides the 3/16" smaller circumference, the palm swell is further rearward on the Ruger,
maybe not quite as big a hump too,
makes the grip feel more open/slimmer on the Ruger B&C, compared to the CZ B&C.
For about $130 less money, I'll take the B&C Ruger M77 over the H-S Precision,
I consider them very comparable in quality and functionality for me.
Just a matter of what suits the buyer best.

In fact, I didn't know H-S had started making the Ruger Mark II stock again.
It was on-again-off-again with them.
The B&C Ruger Mark II is a very recent addition.
I am glad it is lighter than the old H-S Precision I have.
A report on the weight of a new-made H-S Precision stock for the Ruger Mark II would be interesting.
Did they ever announce another run of the african Lipsey exclusives?
I have a first gen 9.3x62, the barrel is fat, the rifle is heavy but boy does it shoot 250 grain Accubonds!
Mainer: Would the Ruger Alaskan rubber covered factory stock fit? I found after that after the first day in Africa during the dry season the "stickyness" issue was fixed. You could also shave off the rubber coating and use it as fire starter ala Phil Shoemaker.
Another run of 7x57, 9.3x62 would be nice. I would love to see the 8x57 in an African. There would be a good market for it in Europe and Africa.
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Another run of 7x57, 9.3x62 would be nice. I would love to see the 8x57 in an African. There would be a good market for it in Europe and Africa.
There'd be at least one sale of 8x57 here in ne wi, despite its department of redundancy department status in my home. A 303 variant would have me whipping out the old velcro wallet way more the faster, though
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by OGB

+2 ... Won't happen. But sweet dreams...

+3.... Wake up Ruger!
© 24hourcampfire