Home
Posted By: DeanAnderson Another 300 Savage... - 11/15/22
Just committed to buy the Remington 722, in 300 Savage, that dodge268 was offering in the classifieds. This will be my first 300 Savage that isn't in a 99 Savage and first bolt gun in it. 300 Savage is one of my favorite cartridges, killed a bunch of WI whitetail with it over the years so really looking forward to this rifle. Just wish I still had all the 300 Savage stuff I used to have back when! Lol! But I'll start picking stuff up here and there when and where I find it. There's usually some 300 Savage stuff at the gunshows I hit in WI.
Posted By: mathman Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/15/22
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 300 Savage. It allows me to load the little 300 in ways a 99 wouldn't. Long seated Berger VLD or Hornady AMax bullets for examples.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/15/22
Nice!

I have an abundant supply of .308" Barnes 130gr TTSX, so really hoping those shoot well.
Posted By: mathman Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/15/22
I haven't used those myself, but I have seen several very positive reports about them in the 300 Savage.

For example:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...bullet-load-recommendations#Post16766229
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/15/22
When I was still-hunting for whitetails with a Remington 760 in 300 SAV, I loaded the 170 grain Remington RNCL 30-30 bullet. Only hunted with that rifle and load for 2 years, but punched 2 tags, including my biggest New England buck.
Posted By: hanco Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Nice!

I have an abundant supply of .308" Barnes 130gr TTSX, so really hoping those shoot well.

They shoot really well in my 99’s Dean. I kinda wouldn’t mind a Classic in 300 Savage.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Anyone tried the Hornady 150SST made especially for the 300Savage? They shoot very well in my 99, anxious to see how they work on bambi....and/or a piggy.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
ST they shoot great in my M99. No deer yet but I can’t see them doing anything but folding them.
I have a 700 .300 Savage I put together for eastern whitetails. Fairly heavy Douglas barrel, but 21 " long. Shoots fine. But I no longer travel east so it hasn't done much lately. But it is a handy little rifle. Was going to bring it on this whitetail hunt, but didn't do it. I love it. Had some 99s but I am a bolt action guy so they left for this replacement. I really like it but at my age, it is not likely to see a ton of use.
Get it and enjoy.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have a 700 .300 Savage I put together for eastern whitetails. Fairly heavy Douglas barrel, but 21 " long. Shoots fine. But I no longer travel east so it hasn't done much lately. But it is a handy little rifle. Was going to bring it on this whitetail hunt, but didn't do it. I love it. Had some 99s but I am a bolt action guy so they left for this replacement. I really like it but at my age, it is not likely to see a ton of use.
Get it and enjoy.

WCH, sounds like a cool rifle. That little Savage case was well ahead of its time.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
There's a really nice 700 Classic listed in GB now, but ouch, they're very proud of it! The money, for me, is right with this 722 as I too am getting longer in the tooth and it's main job will be NE WI whitetails. Which this rifle/cartridge combination will do without any problems.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by southtexas
Anyone tried the Hornady 150SST made especially for the 300Savage? They shoot very well in my 99, anxious to see how they work on bambi....and/or a piggy.

Use with confidence. I've killed about 20 pigs with them now and they perform like the standard 150 interlocks on game.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
The 125 grain NBT or AB does a great job of killing deer at 3K fps from my daughter's 700 Classic.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
There's a really nice 700 Classic listed in GB now, but ouch, they're very proud of it! The money, for me, is right with this 722 as I too am getting longer in the tooth and it's main job will be NE WI whitetails. Which this rifle/cartridge combination will do without any problems.

I remember when wholesalers couldn't give 700 Classics in 300 SAV or 8x57 away, so they sold them at a deep discount and people bought them for donor actions.

I bought a couple of the take-off barrels, used one of them in 300 SAV to put together one-half of a pair of Remington 7s that were intended to emulate the Savage 1920s, the other with a 700 Classic 250-3000 barrel.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Only classic I ever purchased was a 35 Whelen. That cartridge sure puts the smack on deer and black bear!
Posted By: hanco Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/16/22
Only classic I ever purchased was a 35 Whelen. That cartridge sure puts the smack on deer and black bear!

Wouldn’t mind a 35 Whelen classic either
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
When I was still-hunting for whitetails with a Remington 760 in 300 SAV, I loaded the 170 grain Remington RNCL 30-30 bullet. Only hunted with that rifle and load for 2 years, but punched 2 tags, including my biggest New England buck.

I use the 170 gr Hornady RN with LVR. Works very well also.
Posted By: OLSKOOL Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
i have had many 300s in 99 savages. the last one i had was an R heavy i picked up at a pawn shop. it was a tack driver with varget and some old Remington 150gr. CL bullets i had, being the wise man that i am i sold it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Lol! OLSKOOL, right there with you!
Posted By: Hook Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I remember when wholesalers couldn't give 700 Classics in 300 SAV or 8x57 away, so they sold them at a deep discount and people bought them for donor actions.

I bought a couple of the take-off barrels, used one of them in 300 SAV to put together one-half of a pair of Remington 7s that were intended to emulate the Savage 1920s, the other with a 700 Classic 250-3000 barrel.

When my son stopped using his M7 in 7mm08 (because he stole my Brno 22F from me), I decided to recaliber it. I found one of those Classic barrels online and, since I had beaucoup 300 Sav stuff left over from my M99 I got rid of, I jumped at it. I planned to lop the 24' barrel off but it shot so well I have yet to do it. A M7 with a 24" barrel looks funky but the dang thing stacks TTSXs on top of each other and I don't want mess with a good thing....yet, anyway!
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Dean- that will be a useful rifle for you, I believe. I have a couple 300s but are Savage 99. I could supply you with a box of Winchester 150 gr loads (silver box) if you need them. I have an old set of Herters dies you would be welcome to for a starter but right now I am having difficulty finding the sizer body. Got to be around here somewhere. Must be getting old...
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Haha! Thank you Bruce, very much appreciated! Good luck Saturday morning, keep warm!

This opening day, I'll be using my custom Mauser in 375/350 with Speer Hot-Cor 235gr jacketed soft points. Overkill, yes! But first chance to use this rifle for hunting, has been at the range only so far.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
That will kill! smile Good luck
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: Another 300 Savage... - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by southtexas

I've killed two deer with these in my Savage 99. The first was quartered sharply towards me at 50 yards. The bullet entered near the point of the right shoulder & exited just behind the last rib on the other side. The right shoulder was shattered, there was a big hole in the heart & lungs.
The second one was hit a little far back striking one lung and the liver had a lot of damage. That one exited also. Exit wounds were not very big. Both ran about 100 yds.
© 24hourcampfire