Home
Posted By: 8SNAKE Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
If you could have a rifle chambered in any of the Barrett Fieldcraft offerings, what would you choose, and why?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
When I was growing up in the 1980s, Alaska was flush with oil money. This is early 80s. We used to go on school trips for two to three weeks at a time. I figured out that a hamburger was a pretty hard dish to monkey up. You could even go to a Chinese restaurant or a sushi place and ask for a hamburger and they won't monkey it up. I have been wrong a few times. But in my view, a 30 government 06 is a pretty tough rifle caliber to monkey up. You could do it but you have to try. Up here in the pucker brush a 6.5 creedmoor is basically an appetite stimulator for a large brown bear. Sure, you can show me a picture of some dude hunter in Kuiu holding his magical mojo chassis rifle in the manbun but I'd like to see the same feller in deep brush with a bloody deer on this back in 0 dark thirty. Nope. Nope. Nope. 06 is great in this gun.
Posted By: JGray Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
I have Fieldcrafts in 21" 6.5 CM and 1:9 twist 270. I like them both and would hate to have to choose between them. That said, I tend to grab the 21" 6.5 CM more than any others. I do more deer hunting than elk hunting and just don't need anything bigger. I shot 2 deer with it yesterday in the 300-350 yd range and couldn't be happier.

Where I see the FC shining as a hunting rifle is in the light/handy package. Short action makes sense and mild recoil for shootability should be a priority in that type of rifle.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
22” 6.5 c special edition. Just like the balance better than the 21” or 24”.

6.5 or 7/08 in 19” if I was smart enough to use a muffler.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
30-06 or 308win. Because either is all that's needed for north America or elsewhere.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I think I would prefer that configuration as well...
Posted By: EdM Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by hotsoup
30-06 or 308win. Because either is all that's needed for north America or elsewhere.

Huh?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

Plenty of room in that mag for 180s at 2500-2600 fps. If only.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Have a 6CM.

Would like a 7-08 if given a choice for another. Have to imagine that shooting one off the bench would require some “technique”. JB recommends using a folded towel under the forend.

A 6.5 would be fine too, but Hodgdon has some pretty sporty 7-08 data, especially with StaBall.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
I could live with a 22" 6.5CM, but already have three or four other rifles that fill that slot in the line-up.

One of those and a heavier 30-06 for moose and a sporter bolt 223 could cover everything for me.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
7mm-08
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
7mm08 or 6.5 cm if deer is the target and not in griz country.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Same here. That rifle rolls all my preferences into one package. The 6.5 CM works really well for my needs, which are mainly deer....and a lot of trigger time.

Were I to choose another chambering in the same blueprint it would be 7-08.
Posted By: fishermen0105 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
18.5” 6.5 creedmoor with a can, but don’t think I could choose just one. If I was going back in time I would’ve bought more threaded models. I’ve killed the most with my ‘06 but only because I purchased it first.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Who is parting with an 18” 6.5 or 308?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by kaboku68
When I was growing up in the 1980s, Alaska was flush with oil money. This is early 80s. We used to go on school trips for two to three weeks at a time. I figured out that a hamburger was a pretty hard dish to monkey up. You could even go to a Chinese restaurant or a sushi place and ask for a hamburger and they won't monkey it up. I have been wrong a few times. But in my view, a 30 government 06 is a pretty tough rifle caliber to monkey up. You could do it but you have to try. Up here in the pucker brush a 6.5 creedmoor is basically an appetite stimulator for a large brown bear. Sure, you can show me a picture of some dude hunter in Kuiu holding his magical mojo chassis rifle in the manbun but I'd like to see the same feller in deep brush with a bloody deer on this back in 0 dark thirty. Nope. Nope. Nope. 06 is great in this gun.

I had an old neighbor who during the war years had a .270 that he used to hunt bear in Alaska with. I believe the .270 would of been fairly new at the time. If the .270 can do it the 30-06 can do it better. Especially in Alaska as you say. The 6.5 manbun just seems to be a bit under powered for what's hiding in an Alaska forest, especially after dark.

kwg
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Have 308 Win and 6mm-CM, I am covered, the only thing for either would be having them threaded for my can.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
6.5 x .284 would be my choice. I have a Barrett that I am modifying to feed and chamber the 6.5 x .284 as we speak. I had Kevin Weaver open up the mag well to accept a COAL of 3.2". I've got to lengthen the mag box. I modified a Manners Ultra-Light Classic (much lighter and trimmer than the Fieldcraft stock) and I have a chambered and fitted Lothar Walther fluted barrel installed with a muzzle diameter of .640. If everything goes according to plan, the finished weight will come in right at 5 lbs.
Posted By: Model70Fan Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by Tarquin
6.5 x .284 would be my choice. I have a Barrett that I am modifying to feed and chamber the 6.5 x .284 as we speak. I had Kevin Weaver open up the mag well to accept a COAL of 3.2". I've got to lengthen the mag box. I modified a Manners Ultra-Light Classic (much lighter and trimmer than the Fieldcraft stock) and I have a chambered and fitted Lothar Walther fluted barrel installed with a muzzle diameter of .640. If everything goes according to plan, the finished weight will come in right at 5 lbs.
I’m sure folks would like to see pics when you’re finished!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have to imagine that shooting one off the bench would require some “technique”. JB recommends using a folded towel under the forend.

I haven't found either of my FC's to be difficult to shoot well off a bench compared to heavier rifles. I do use a folded towel for all my rifles however...
I’d go with a .308 Winchester. I’d want a FC with a short action and shorter barrel. A .308 Win would about the most versatile and efficient combination in a shorter barreled rifle and still have a good trajectory at any range that a FC was intended for hunting at.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Why do I need a Barrett Fieldcraft?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
You probably don't if you just hunt in your local area but if you hunt mountains then they are what you want. They do have some flies. The bolts don't lock closed and you have to make sure that your firing pin has a solid connection but they were fully bedded with a decent barrel, a very good stock and a great trigger. They tend to stay with a small group and will not walk on subsequent shots.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I’m sure folks would like to see pics when you’re finished!

I'll try and post a photo or two of my butchery (i.e., the project) this evening.
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/21/22
If I had to have one....

300 Winchester Mag......26 inch barrel

If I had to have two...

#2 would be in .270 WSM.....26 inch barrel

I would be set for heavy with some azz on it and then light and fast for ultra flat.

I already have rifles in these cartridges and reload for both....love them both for what they offer up and down the scale.

Very hard to beat both.

Best
HeavyDove.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
You probably don't if you just hunt in your local area but if you hunt mountains then they are what you want. They do have some flies. The bolts don't lock closed and you have to make sure that your firing pin has a solid connection but they were fully bedded with a decent barrel, a very good stock and a great trigger. They tend to stay with a small group and will not walk on subsequent shots.

Appreciate the objective input. I’m happy with my Borden’s.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I had stew for supper too.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
The 6.5 CM in a Fieldcraft is a sweet rifle. I picked one up for my wife.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
If I was trekking around the side of a mountain looking for Billy Goat Gruff, then a 270. If you think you might accidentally encounter something more dangerous, like a moose that might stomp you or a bear that might chew on you, then 30-06.

As it is, for a low lander, in the lower half of North America, considering ease of ammo acquisition, a 223 on the the low end and a 6.5 CM on the high end.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
7-08 in 21in spout.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22

Never heard about any firing pin issues, but agree with the rest. For what I paid, my FC is altogether satisfactory, very nicely put together as well. My Howa Alpine, which has been passed to my grandchildren, comes very close functionally at a third of the cost, admittedly a significantly discounted price. That Alpine is also fully bedded, BTW, which makes me think it’s not a bad idea with light barrels.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Never heard about any firing pin issues, but agree with the rest. For what I paid, my FC is altogether satisfactory, very nicely put together as well. My Howa Alpine, which has been passed to my grandchildren, comes very close functionally at a third of the cost, admittedly a significantly discounted price. That Alpine is also fully bedded, BTW, which makes me think it’s not a bad idea with light barrels.

I've not heard of the firing pin issue with Fieldcrafts either. I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about it. I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here. Any how, Fieldcraft went instead of the Montana and all ended well with the chunky fellow below.

Every rifle I've full length bedded in a quality synthetic stock has shot well. All of them have been sporter/#2 or less contours. I kinda like having no gap around the barrel for water/twigs. The first one I full length bedded was after seeing freezing rain ice up in the free float while hunting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...84m-light-primer-strike-ftf#Post14532586
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...84m-light-primer-strike-ftf#Post14532586

Thanks!
Posted By: hardin284 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/26/22
One in 6 cm or .243 win and one in .338 Fed should cover things
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/26/22
I’ve both threaded and unthreaded versions . Life sucks
Posted By: Dre Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/27/22
Wouldn’t care if it was 270 or 06 or 6.5 PRC
They all sounds good
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/27/22
A 1:7 22-250 in a walking rifle sounds interesting.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/27/22
I’ve got mine in a 6.5 creed. 7-08 would be nice too!
6 or 6.5 MM
Posted By: lastround Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/28/22
I owned a 6.5 Creedmoor for a couple of years. Killed a couple of whitetail does with it. It was a very accurate gun, but to my deep regret I let it go down the road in order to buy something I thought I wanted more. I have since traded off that “Something”. Oh the mistakes we make.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/29/22
The short action fieldcrafts are where it's at with the 3" magbox. The LA doesn't offer much magbox. Anything in a SA is worth owning. It's amazing how many companies still can't get mag box and twist right. It's like the 29 years I spent trying to tell scope companies not to do mildot reticle with moa turrets. The shooting industry like most industries unfortunately is controlled by politicians not leaders who don't actually shoot.

Bb
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
25-06 just because it would be cool!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
i do have a 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft rifle on order
Posted By: Teal Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by pete53

With whom? Barrett suspended production almost 3 years ago IIRC.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Teal

Roundoak
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Mgw619

Roundoak
😂
Posted By: Teeder Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22

Roundoak

It's got some pretty sweet bucks under its belt!

I bet if you shoot one with it, it doubles in size before it hits the ground!
Posted By: Teal Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Teeder

Roundoak

Roundoak's most successful cartridge was "right click - save as"
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Teeder

Roundoak

Responsible for this bruiser -

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/01/22

Say what?
Posted By: Jpterry Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
I've had a 6.5cm, 308, 7-08, 270 and 30-06...all went down the road to someone that wanted them more than me. The only one I kept is my Fieldcraft Swede...love that dang rifle.
Posted By: Brad Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
I had two Fieldcrafts. Both mine (6.5 CM & 270 Win) had the no.2 24" contour barrel. There are things to like, and things to dislike. For me, more to dislike. I found the stock clunky. I don't like the scope mount options (too high). I dislike the thick stock. I really dislike the big gap that allows all kinds of water, snow, and debris down into the magazine.

Posted By: SKane Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22

Ohhhhhh? Do tell.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by SKane

Ohhhhhh? Do tell.

Safariman making a comeback tour for ol' petey?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
NIB Twat-Six. Only flogged on it for (5) days if I recall correctly,then had it rebarreled to something good. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just saying...............
This thread is about the Barrett Fieldcraft, not the Kimber Montana. Have another gallon, hint. Just saying……….

Originally Posted by Big Stick
NIB Twat-Six. Only flogged on it for (5) days if I recall correctly,then had it rebarreled to something good. Hint.

Just saying...............
Posted By: Shag Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Brad
I had two Fieldcrafts. Both mine (6.5 CM & 270 Win) had the no.2 24" contour barrel. There are things to like, and things to dislike. For me, more to dislike. I found the stock clunky. I don't like the scope mount options (too high). I dislike the thick stock. I really dislike the big gap that allows all kinds of water, snow, and debris down into the magazine.

Brad, wow telling photo of a major flaw. Thanks for sharing.
Bradgelina,

You were Whining out your quivering lips,as you put trembling finger to your keyboard and wiped droll offa your tits...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As the ilk goes,the Montucky is often extrapolated to the FC's and your fears are funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is the MOST Sincere form of Flattery and some folks actually go Outdoors in REAL weather,though you only get to read about it and ogle The Splendid Pixels from your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
As I said, have another gallon. Hint. LAUGHING……….
His every day off is a half gallon. I spend all my extra money on my wife and kids. Yes i still have all my kids and have never laid a hand on a woman in a violent manner. I'm married 31 yrs and damn proud of it. My wares? I do just [bleep] fine in fact more stellar than most and never have physically hurt a child or a woman. Just amazes me the people on this site that respect Bacon Throat. Hes best at intimidation of women and children and I've not one ounce of respect for the pile of schitt. [bleep] the folks that do. All of them. He'd be killed in prison. Total fkn scumbag.
Bradgelina,

Your High Pitched Hissy Fit is fhuqking soothing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm REALLY enjoy your Weather SCARES,due the fact you don't shoot (6) shots a year and then only from a sun laden haybale,inside someone else's fence. Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is the MOST Sincere form of Flattery and some folks actually go Outdoors in REAL weather,though you only get to read about it and ogle The Splendid Pixels from your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

You Melting Snowflakes are a HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Look at you chasing me around the campfire! In your every thought! hahahaha You sawed pile of kid killing piece of schitt! smile
Pardon my posting here,prior to you,as you extoll your Bumbling Brokedicktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I know,I know...you "saw" a picture of a Fieldcraft once,as you were on the outside looking in,Licking Windows. That must of been a BIG Day for you and your ilk. Hint.

It is VERY "disconcerting",to field them in REAL World atmospherics. At least you can "afford" to Pretend about it. Hint.

They are "tender" too and dust,grit,rocks and "stuff" will REALLY "compromise" them. Hint.

A Melting Snowflake like you,would need a fhuqking co-signer for the tape alone. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
You're a predator of women and children. Others here are ballless. I'm not. There is no place for dog schitt like you in this world. You best hope you don't end up in prison. They kill scumbags like you.
I'm VERY "surprised" the only thing you can speak of,are your HomoErotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are a "rugged" lot. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,along with what I'm wearing? Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,as you feverishly Lick Windows.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
You will self destruct. Funny as [bleep] watching you do it.
I'm happy to be whatever you NEED most,to salve your Realities,as you emit that High Pitched Nasal Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,as you Lick Windows and "live" vicariously,glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the duration(s) of same,along with what I'm wearing? Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

I'd really like a 7 Creedmoor too. My 7-08 is shooting great when it's not eating scopes but I still think the Creedmoor case is a better design. I'm happy that I got a 7-08 that shoots well though and I have a tac driving 6 Creedmoor. If I could get another one it would be a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 22 Creedmoor.

Most sammi spec 7-08 reamers I've seen don't have a great design around the neck shoulder junction when compared to the newer spec Creedmoor stuff. Maybe Barrett made some adjustments or came up with their own reamer specs but likely not. A lot of standard spec 7-08s shoot great. Givin the 3" mag box on the FC a 7-08 is fine on that action. I'm just a fan of the 30 degree shoulder, lead angles, and throating on most of the Creedmoor spec stuff.

But I'm doing well in a 18.5" 7-08 that's shooting 1/2 moa with 180s at 2500ish fps. My last batch had single digit extreme spread with one of my favorite powders h4350 in new stareline brass. I started I need to run an eldx through an elk and see how it outperforms the 150 eldx I used on an elk 2 years ago with less than good penetration. The lower speed longer bullet should help.

Bb
Posted By: Switch Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
I too love my Swede! It does everything the man bun does, only better. The only problem is that extra 1/2" of bolt throw will tucker a guy out!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Brad

My issues with the FC's, also. I'll stick with my Montana's.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

I'd really like a 7 Creedmoor too. My 7-08 is shooting great when it's not eating scopes but I still think the Creedmoor case is a better design. I'm happy that I got a 7-08 that shoots well though and I have a tac driving 6 Creedmoor. If I could get another one it would be a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 22 Creedmoor.

Most sammi spec 7-08 reamers I've seen don't have a great design around the neck shoulder junction when compared to the newer spec Creedmoor stuff. Maybe Barrett made some adjustments or came up with their own reamer specs but likely not. A lot of standard spec 7-08s shoot great. Givin the 3" mag box on the FC a 7-08 is fine on that action. I'm just a fan of the 30 degree shoulder, lead angles, and throating on most of the Creedmoor spec stuff.

But I'm doing well in a 18.5" 7-08 that's shooting 1/2 moa with 180s at 2500ish fps. My last batch had single digit extreme spread with one of my favorite powders h4350 in new stareline brass. I started I need to run an eldx through an elk and see how it outperforms the 150 eldx I used on an elk 2 years ago with less than good penetration. The lower speed longer bullet should help.

Bb
Agreed, Bb.

What scope is riding on your 7-08 these days? It seems like an anomaly of a rifle to eat so many rugged scopes. I’m still not sure what to make of the underlying cause. I keep thinking rings/bases, but I think you’ve mentioned addressing that in the past. My Kimber Montana 7-08 is at least as lightweight, and it’s been reliable with the same SS 3-9x for a lot of rounds shooting the 162 AM at ~2650.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/03/22
I've had the same 2.5x8 Leupold on my 7-08 Montana since 2013. Never changes zero.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/04/22
My 1 in 10 270 does just fine with a 6x42 FX3 on it 4 elk in 4 years. 130 NPT on top of 60.0 H4831SC.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/08/22
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

Bb
Agreed, Bb.

What scope is riding on your 7-08 these days? It seems like an anomaly of a rifle to eat so many rugged scopes. I’m still not sure what to make of the underlying cause. I keep thinking rings/bases, but I think you’ve mentioned addressing that in the past. My Kimber Montana 7-08 is at least as lightweight, and it’s been reliable with the same SS 3-9x for a lot of rounds shooting the 162 AM at ~2650.

I don't know what's going on but it's hard on scopes. I'm running a 1 piece 20 moa Leopold rail currently and ss low rings. The lapping pins say they are linked up. I love the SS 3-9 but I've lost a few of them and I'm still waiting replacements on some.

Last time I took my 6 creed FC to the range it had gone from 1/4 moa right where I want it to 2 moa jumping around. It wears a SS 3-9 so I'm thinking I may have just toasted #7. More testing will happen if I ever get a warm day.

I'd much rather scopes totally crash hard when they take a dump because I've wasted too much time and ammo on ones that just crap out to a dancing 2 moa. Whenever that happens now I immediately check the mounts and then change the scope.

The 7-08 is getting a fixed 6 ss next. If it toasts that I'll know I have a problem. I was waiting for black Friday but there were no fixed 6 in mil quad to be had. I could have went moa but I'll just rob a mil quad off another rifle when it warms up. A fixed 6 is ok but I prefer the glass and range on a 3-9 even though it gives up parallax and I really prefer adjustable parallax. I wonder how a 3-12 Bushey lrhs would do on the 7-08. I wish I had a dozen more lrhs 3-12s.

Bb
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/08/22
For my public humiliation post my 700 ss mtn in a first gen ti stock 7-08 is still wearing a leupold 3-9x40 vx2 with lr reticle and still stacks 162 amaxes at close to 2700 fps in 3/4 moa groups. I've had that scope on there for years with no problem other than its not set up to dial. The dots on the reticle take me to 500.

I'd put it on the FC but I'm afraid someone would see it and I'd loose all credibility. I still think light weight scopes hold up better on light weight rifles. Some momentum or other physics things at play.

Bb
Posted By: Bayouhunter Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/08/22
I will take some humiliation next.. lol. I have VX5-HDs on a 6.5 and 7-08 fieldcraft. Both have held their zero since being mounted several years ago. Just took a nice whitetail in Kentucky in early November, 170yards with the 7-08. I know that some bash on the leupolds but they have been working well on both of my Barrett rifles.
YMMV
Jonathan

Seekins rings mounted on rail...btw
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/08/22
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

Bb
Agreed, Bb.

I don't know what's going on but it's hard on scopes. I'm running a 1 piece 20 moa Leopold rail currently and ss low rings. The lapping pins say they are linked up. I love the SS 3-9 but I've lost a few of them and I'm still waiting replacements on some.

Last time I took my 6 creed FC to the range it had gone from 1/4 moa right where I want it to 2 moa jumping around. It wears a SS 3-9 so I'm thinking I may have just toasted #7. More testing will happen if I ever get a warm day.

I'd much rather scopes totally crash hard when they take a dump because I've wasted too much time and ammo on ones that just crap out to a dancing 2 moa. Whenever that happens now I immediately check the mounts and then change the scope.

The 7-08 is getting a fixed 6 ss next. If it toasts that I'll know I have a problem. I was waiting for black Friday but there were no fixed 6 in mil quad to be had. I could have went moa but I'll just rob a mil quad off another rifle when it warms up. A fixed 6 is ok but I prefer the glass and range on a 3-9 even though it gives up parallax and I really prefer adjustable parallax. I wonder how a 3-12 Bushey lrhs would do on the 7-08. I wish I had a dozen more lrhs 3-12s.

Bb
It's definitely strange. My FC 6.5 CM also wears a SS 3-9x that has been going strong for hundreds of rounds. Another SS 3-9x rode my Montana 7 WSM for hundreds of rounds successfully, as well. Like I said, your FC 7-08 is a bit of an anomaly.

I'm also curious how the SS 6x or LRHS 3-12x will do on that rifle. I, too, wish I had a dozen more LRHS 3-12x, but I'm not sure that they're more durable than the SS 3-9x or 6x. Please let me know what happens if and when when you try either (or both) on your FC 7-08.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 12/08/22
I have a 6.5 creed. Shoots very well from any shooting position. I’m always amazed at its consistent nature in such a lightweight rig. I don’t carry it much as I have rifles I like better, but I have zero complaints about the quality of that rifle. It’s killed everything I intended to with it..
Posted By: SKane Re: Barrett Fieldcraft - 02/09/23

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire