Home
Posted By: Web .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
I've recently joined 24hourcampfire and feel it will be not only a great source of information but educational, as well. Now, my question. I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 257 Roberts built in 1987. I am wondering if +P ammo is safe for this rifle. I do have some 117 grain Remington green box but would like to get a little more "pop" out of it and +P ammo gives me more ammo options. Thanx in advance.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
Yes, the +P ammo will be fine in the rifle.
Posted By: mathman Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Web
I've recently joined 24hourcampfire and feel it will be not only a great source of information but educational, as well. Now, my question. I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 257 Roberts built in 1987. I am wondering if +P ammo is safe for this rifle. I do have some 117 grain Remington green box but would like to get a little more "pop" out of it and +P ammo gives me more ammo options. Thanx in advance.

You'll have a large safety margin. Even the +P 257 ammo is pretty tame compared to other cartridges the Model 70 easily handles.
Posted By: Redneck Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Jason280
Yes, the +P ammo will be fine in the rifle.
Exactly... IIRC, the Roberts was originally brought out with speeds in the 2400 fps range... Modern rounds for that same Roberts is now in the 2800 fps range - and it's still pretty tame..

Wonderful rifle you got there my friend..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
If you're not yet a handloader, you'll want to become one if you want to have both performance and bullet weight options.

The best current production 257 Roberts factory ammo that I've shot is the 117 grain Hornady Superformance, as it has shot good groups in several different rifles chambered for this vintage cartridge.
Posted By: GreggH Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
What 260 said. Get into loading yourself for the Roberts. They are easy to work with. You will enjoy that rifle.

GreggH
Posted By: pete53 Re: .257 Roberts - 11/30/22
257 Roberts is the little darling in deer cartridges in my eyes , i have purchased all the family a 257 Roberts rifles so we have 7 -257 Roberts rifles great cartridge you will enjoy this cartridge.congrats ,Pete53
Posted By: JeffyD Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Welcome to the 'fire, my fellow fan of the . 257R! cool
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Fella can't hardly hit a barn from the inside with a Bob.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And Mod 70 Winchesters are the pits.

Riddle me this. Why can't the damn thing put all 5 in one hole? Maybe 'cause it was built in '51? I dunno. Frustrates the hell out of everyone within 5 shooting benches it does.

Posted By: 257 roberts Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I had a Featherweight in 257 Roberts that I hunted with for many years, finally settled on Hornaday Light Magnum 117 gr, it was a deer killer, my nephews son now has it and is using Federal 120 gr ammo and has killed deer with it....you have a very fine rifle
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I have a custom Mexican Mauser in 257 with a Douglas match grade barrel. She’s very particular…only likes 100 grain partitions, 42.5 gr IMR-4350 and WLR primers. Little bugholes on the target and DRT on deer.

Beautiful little gun.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Good luck with your Winchester! You will likely find some factory ammo that shoots quite well, but as stated above, it should really thrive in reloads. I am a big fan of the 117 grain Sierra Game King.

I have a Bob in a Ruger Hawkeye. It was part of a limited run that was sold to a Gun Store in Pa. I swear someone at Ruger worked it over before it left the factory. It came with a slicked up action, safety, and the trigger was adjusted down to about three pounds. Fit and finish out if the box was outstanding! Everyone that shoots this rifle loves it. I actually wish I had bought two of them. Mine helped harvest a deer about a week ago.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Riddle me this. Why can't the damn thing put all 5 in one hole? Maybe 'cause it was built in '51? I dunno. Frustrates the hell out of everyone within 5 shooting benches it does.

257Rob from the 50's in Super Grade..... not real common, very nice
Posted By: hanco Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I bought a 700 Classic. It is very pleasant to shoot. I should have bought one years ago
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
257 Roberts threads are ALMOST as popular as dog threads on the Fire.

I own one of each and like them both ..... a LOT! smile
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by pete53
I have purchased all the family a 257 Roberts rifles so we have 7 -257 Roberts

That's cool.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I have an M70 Featherweight and a Ruger #1B in .257 Robt. I haven't done much with them as of yet but will probably do so in the very near future. The Ruger came with six boxes of Norma 100 gr. ammo That Ruger literally stacks them one on top of the other. I'm hoping to find a reload that does the same. The M70 so far has not shot all that well so may have to do some bedding and trigger work for openers and then go from there.
PJ
Posted By: hanco Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I load 100 grain Barnes for mine, less than an inch groups. 44.5 grains of IMR 4350
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
DigitalDan that looks beautiful - how about a another pic ?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
I had one of those from that era and used +P ammo regularly. Also the +P ammo isn't all that hot. +P .257 is at ~ 50,000 cup.
Posted By: mathman Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I had one of those from that era and used +P ammo regularly. Also the +P ammo isn't all that hot. +P .257 is at ~ 50,000 cup.

Yep.

Originally Posted by mathman
You'll have a large safety margin. Even the +P 257 ammo is pretty tame compared to other cartridges the Model 70 easily handles.
Posted By: tzone Re: .257 Roberts - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by Web

That's a sweet rifle in a cool caliber.

Where you from?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by Web

Welcome to the forum. It's a damn good one. As has already been mentioned, that rifle can easily handle +P. Not that the Roberts needs it. It is a decidedly good killer at non-+P speeds, and that Remington round nose will wreck innards.
Posted By: Jstocks Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
I’ve always thought I’d like to own one. They seem to be a favorite of those who have them and shoot them.

Question to you fellas? Do you get pass through generally speaking on mature whitetails?
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
Hard not to like the 257-

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Brad Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
GN308, I always liked that photo! Looks like he might have come from the upper right downhill and gave up the ghost in that draw.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by Jstocks
I’ve always thought I’d like to own one. They seem to be a favorite of those who have them and shoot them.

Question to you fellas? Do you get pass through generally speaking on mature whitetails?

I never caught one when shooting mule deer. All broadside shots.
Posted By: JPro Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
My experience was limited to the 120gr Partition at 2,850fps or so. It didn't stop in deer. I wound up moving to the various small-cased 6.5mm rounds for this role, as well as the 120gr 7mm-08, but if the typical deer hunter has a well-loaded .257 Roberts in hand, he is just as well off.

And that is a really cool photo above...
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by Brad
GN308, I always liked that photo! Looks like he might have come from the upper right downhill and gave up the ghost in that draw.

That’s correct! I was on the left ridge top (taking a leak) when I saw him vacuuming acorns straight uphill on the other ridge. Entry was high shoulder. THEN a 100ft slide for both of us. 🤣
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/02/22
I have 2 of the Roberts, one is a Hyper Single falling block and the other is a 722 Remington that I bought from Mike Walker. They both work really well with the 120 Partitions.
Posted By: Brad Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Originally Posted by Brad

That’s correct! I was on the left ridge top (taking a leak) when I saw him vacuuming acorns straight uphill on the other ridge. Entry was high shoulder. THEN a 100ft slide for both of us. 🤣

"Relaxed & Relieved" is the best way to take a critter grin

Good to know I can still read oak leaves laugh
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Your M70 can handle far more than +p .257 Roberts.
.257 Roberts +P cartridges are held below 58,000 PSI. The .270 Win, chambered in your same rifle, has a SAAMI max of 65,000 PSI, a 12% increase in pressure.
And it is safe to load the Roberts to that level for use in a rifle suitable for that level. It's not "necessary", but there's nothing wrong with it if you can find tested data, which is the problem part.
You can trust the loads posted by John Barsness, "Mule Deer" here on this site.

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Have used the remington 117 round nose with good results out of my 257.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
I have no problem pushing the Roberts in a modern rifle with good brass. This one is on a long action 700, 24" Brux.

It shoots sub half MOA with 100 TTSX over 47 gr. H-100V at 3,266 av with low S.D. and E.D.'s.

Hunter's Edge stock, Conquest glass. Hammers WT's and hogs.

Ya about gotta reload if you're going with the Roberts, IMO.

DF

Posted By: Puddle Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Hey Dirtfarmer,

That reminds me of back when two of us headed over to the gunsmith's shop with 2 complete M700 actions; mine a LA, and my buddy's a SA.

Mine was a .257 Roberts built around the LA and my buddy's SA was used to build a .257 Souper.

Afterwards, we spent the next decade arguing which was the best cartridge. All that got resolved was who was the best shooter, and I 'aint sayin' who...

Mine is Lilja stainless, fluted barreled at 24", black McMillan stocked, Gold Ring glass, with all the metal cerakoted OD Green.

These days all I feed it is 110 gr. NABs in front of 45.5 grains H4350.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Posted By: Brad Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Beautiful rifle Dan.

While I've had a number of synthetic wrapped 257 Rob's, I prefer it in chromoly and walnut.

Mine:

It shoots too:

Posted By: hanco Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Beautiful rifle Brad
Posted By: beretzs Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
That’s a dandy 257 Brad.
Posted By: greydog Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
My 257 is one I built on an Eatons 100 (FN) rifle which I picked up at a gunshow. The barrel is a gain twist which finishes at 1 in 12; a little too slow but the barrel was priced right. It shoots very well with any 100 grain and also stabilizes Speer 120 Spitzers and shoots them well. It's an easy cartridge to like. GD
Posted By: Teeder Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Love that stock, Brad.
Wish I could find a 7-08 like that.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .257 Roberts - 12/03/22
Wow Brad,

That one’s got it all, beauty and performance.

Congrats.

DF
Posted By: boatammo Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
Brad very nice glad to see You are shooting it. Mine shoots very well with 46.0 H4350 and 100 gr. NBT. I've killed a deer with it both the last 2 years.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
Brad, You got some sexy wood there bruh!

🤣
Posted By: Brad Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
Thanks gents. I looked for years for the "right" piece of wood on a Kimber 257. I finally found it smile
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
Even if/when forced to suffer Living Wood and Bluing,doesn't mean one has to suffer Dog Schit chamberings. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Or schit mounts,or schit glass. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint.

SuperKchunt,

You'd need a co-signer,for the tape alone...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the durations of same,if only to put your vicarious "living" in perspective. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/04/22
SuperKchunt,

You'd need a co-signer,for the tape alone...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". At least you can "afford" to steal pictures and are even forced to do same for "your" Avatar. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the durations of same,if only to put your vicarious "living" in perspective. Hint.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
Brad and DF, those rifles are beauts for sure. While I love my little Ruger 257, it doesn't measure up in the looks or accuracy department. Still works perfect as a southern woods rifle.

Posted By: kenjs1 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by kenjs1

REALLY nice Dan.
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
I guess all the deer getting killed by 25’s with low bc bullets are just imagination and pretend. Lucky thing is that imaginary rifles and boolits are free because apparently no one can afford them.

Laughing +P!!! 😂
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
And also most of the .25 owners aren't "pretending" that they hunt game at 800 yards, so that they appear "bigger" than what they really are.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
Queere Man,

Of course you are guessing,as it's your only "move"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,on a scale your "means","ailities" and "comprehension" can't even begin to fathom. Hint.

Keep extolling your copious very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel them,with wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

SniffleKchunt,

You better join "forces" with her...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Posted By: Riflehunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
Queere Man,

Of course you are guessing,as it's your only "move"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,on a scale your "means","ailities" and "comprehension" can't even begin to fathom. Hint.

Keep extolling your copious very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel them,with wares that exist. Hint.

SniffleKchunt,

You better join "forces" with her...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Did you send the more "personal" photos to that r slicker on the other thread?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
SniffleKchunt,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon the itty-bitty Seex Kreed upsetting you so. In your "defense",rifles of the ilk are "tender" and 800yds is a "LONG" shot. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................
Posted By: Sherwood Re: .257 Roberts - 12/05/22
We have all heard the discussions of why 25-06 rifles are faster and thus better than the 257 Roberts. But there are many times when that extra speed is unnecessary for the woodsman who rarely shoots beyond 150 yards or so. This cartridge has been fading but I hope it doesn't die. - Sherwood
Posted By: rickt300 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Brad and DF, those rifles are beauts for sure. While I love my little Ruger 257, it doesn't measure up in the looks or accuracy department. Still works perfect as a southern woods rifle.

Mine is more beat up than yours, but possibly it has killed more deer in the last 5 years.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Sherwood
We have all heard the discussions of why 25-06 rifles are faster and thus better than the 257 Roberts. But there are many times when that extra speed is unnecessary for the woodsman who rarely shoots beyond 150 yards or so.

Same can be said about bullet BC.

Don't tell dumb dumb about that. He'll throw a fit.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
The .257 Rob AI is basically a .25 Creedmoor.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by rickt300

Mine is more beat up than yours, but possibly it has killed more deer in the last 5 years.

That means you've killed 2 deer, at least.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Tyrone

250AI
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

250AI
Yes, thank you.

Point being, they are great cartridges.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
You Crying CLUELESS Kchunts are a fhuqking riot! Hint.

If you are trying to convey that all .257's suck,due projectile selection,you make a rather valid point obliviously. Hint.

In fairness however,I've not got another Seek Kreed since yesterday. I've a "hunch" it too,will do rather impressive things from the muzzle,to beyond the 1000yd line...despite Melting Snowflakes and their VERY Tender Feelers. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Google as you must and cry as you do. Hint.

Posted By: David_Walter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
‘Stick,

That “Seek Creed” looks like a Waypoint, at least to me?
Originally Posted by rickt300

That means you've killed 2 deer, at least.

Never underestimate a guy who rode a bike over Independence Pass.
You Crying CLUELESS Kchunts are a fhuqking riot! Hint.

If you are trying to convey that all .257's suck,due projectile selection,you make a rather valid point obliviously. Hint.

In fairness however,I've not got another Seek Kreed since yesterday. I've a "hunch" it too,will do rather impressive things from the muzzle,to beyond the 1000yd line...despite Melting Snowflakes and their VERY Tender Feelers. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Google as you must and cry as you do. Hint.

But will it make any difference at 200 yards? Groomed your man bun?
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
The .257 Roberts has about the ideal case capacity. I'm just waiting for my dies to come through from CH4D for a .25 Souper Improved 30 degree (similar case capacity as .257 Roberts)...they've been 22 months and 2 more to go. I've got the reamer. Remington short action with extended mag, 7 twist barrel. Will try the 134 Hornady ELD with .650 bc and also the Badlands 110 grain at about 3100 fps with .570 bc. 7 lbs including scope. I don't shoot much over 400 yards...occasionally 600 but that's rare. There's some good projectiles coming through now in .257.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
My Roberts got it done again this morning, hadn't used it for a couple years and was feeling guilty. 170 yards in a drizzle, 100 Hornady Interlock out of the old MkII Ruger. 1st 100 Interlock I've recovered, it was hung up in the far side hide, looks like an advertisement picture. Not the biggest buck around, 8 point a bit over 16" inside spread. Should make plenty of chilli meat.
David',

I'm thinking you might could be onto sumptin'. Hint.(grin)

Skookum parcel. Hint..............

Rickety,

Your gross inabilities and handicaps,aren't the bane of all...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It will only come as a "SURPRISE!" to someone with your "means","abilities" and "comprehension",that less recoil,lower ES/SD,better wind handling,smaller Agg's and greater accuracy start at the muzzle,while enroute to the Transonic Slip. Google as you MUST,Pretend aloud and Whine as you do. Hint.

SniffleKchunt.

264 Kreed Factory Fodder wears a .697 BC and actually exists...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your drooling Dumbfhuqktitude NEVER disappoints,when you are trying your BEST. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

147 .697 6.5 Creedmore at around 2600 fps can't hang with a 134 .257 with .650 bc at over 2800 fps.
Posted By: beretzs Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Ole_270
My Roberts got it done again this morning, hadn't used it for a couple years and was feeling guilty. 170 yards in a drizzle, 100 Hornady Interlock out of the old MkII Ruger. 1st 100 Interlock I've recovered, it was hung up in the far side hide, looks like an advertisement picture. Not the biggest buck around, 8 point a bit over 16" inside spread. Should make plenty of chilli meat.

Congrats on the buck!
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
147 .697 6.5 Creedmore at around 2600 fps can't hang with a 134 .257 with .650 bc at over 2800 fps.

SniffleKchunt,

Simply dangle a pic of said wares,if only to quantify that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only in "fairness",I barely have (5) 264 Kreed's,none of which are that slow,but do exist. HINT.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22
I think it would be more accurate to say the 250 Savage AI would be the .25 Creedmoor, since the 6.5 Creedmoor is basically just the 250 Savage AI necked up to .264 (and a slightly shallower shoulder).

I think the 257 Roberts AI has significantly more volume than the .25 Creedmoor.

Rex
Don't be too hard on Trybone,her GoogleFu only gets her so far and the only things she "shoots" are her mouth and Imagination. Hint.

The Kreed is shy of SALAMI Bob capacity,if only obviously as pictured/cited numerous times. The Better Bob,being a greater discrepency yet. Though bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps/case capacity. Hint.

Bless her poor poor(literally),heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

Originally Posted by Riflehunter

SniffleKchunt,

Simply dangle a pic of said wares,if only to quantify that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only in "fairness",I barely have (5) 264 Kreed's,none of which are that slow,but do exist. HINT.

In your relentless effort to show how big you are, you dumbfhuckingly chop your "long range" barrels down to 21" and I wouldn't be surprised if you also chop the LOP down to 12.5" to make yourself look bigger in the photos. Hint: get rid of your obsolete bore sizes and chamberings .257 and .277 are the future, and if you really want to pretend you hunt at 1000+ yards .338 (past, present and future).
SniffleKchunt,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise!",that simply dangling a picture,with the wares you are TRYING to "talk" about,is simply fhuqking IMPOSSIBLE...you "lucky" fhuqking kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that actually exist and the Skookum reaffirmations of mechanically connecting dots. They include positive headspace and a 2.925" .620 BC Square Smooch. Hint.

As an aside,just how "loud" is it,when you "shoot" your Imagination and Pretend,you Amazingly CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Phony Schit. Hint.

SniffleKchunt,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise!",that simply dangling a picture,with the wares you are TRYING to "talk" about,is simply fhuqking IMPOSSIBLE...you "lucky" fhuqking kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that actually exist and the Skookum reaffirmations of mechanically connecting dots. They include positive headspace and a 2.925" .620 BC Square Smooch. Hint.

As an aside,just how "loud" is it,when you "shoot" your Imagination and Pretend,you Amazingly CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Phony Schit. Hint.

Now you're trying to argue 6 Kreedless . Ha!
SniffleKchunt,

You were "talking" about Imaginary Wares,in Imaginary Rifles and I simply cited wares that exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I needn't "try" anything,I simply shoot it all and then some,if only to your chagrin. Only (6) 21" 264 Kreeds here. Hint.

In "fairness",I've quite a few 224 Speedmires. Hint.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/06/22

250AI

I wish I had gone with the 250AI over the 257Rob as it fits well in a short action.

In all practical sense, the 6.5CM is better than both.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Sherwood
We have all heard the discussions of why 25-06 rifles are faster and thus better than the 257 Roberts. But there are many times when that extra speed is unnecessary for the woodsman who rarely shoots beyond 150 yards or so. This cartridge has been fading but I hope it doesn't die. - Sherwood

For ease of ownership, the 25-06 has more factory load options and ammo seems to be more available than any other 0.257" bore cartridge that is currently cataloged as being factory loaded. However, over the past couple of years being cataloged and actually being available on dealers' shelves can be two significantly different things. Since I load most of the centerfire ammo that I shoot, it really doesn't matter which 0.257" bore cartridge or rifle that I choose to shoot, but I keep a couple 25-06s around in case there is an itch to scratch.

I've been shooting the 257 Roberts for over 50 years and think that it is a good cartridge, but it is primarily a reloader's cartridge as factory ammo doesn't offer much variety and it is seldom seen on dealers' shelves. That said, the Hornady Superformance 117 grain SST factory load has been very accurate in the rifles that I've shot it from, maybe the best 257 Roberts factory ammo that I've ever used. I'm old enough to remember when Winchester cataloged 257 Roberts ammo with 87, 100, and 117 grain bullets, but that was a long time ago.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

250AI

I wish I had gone with the 250AI over the 257Rob as it fits well in a short action.

Having owned rifles chambered in 250AI and 25 Souper, I'd take the 25 Souper all day, every day, over any other short action 0.257" cartridge.

The 6.5 CM is more practical than any short action 0.257" or any other 0.264" cartridge.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

250AI

Having owned rifles chambered in 250AI and 25 Souper, I'd take the 25 Souper all day, every day, over any other short action 0.257" cartridge.

The 6.5 CM is more practical than any short action 0.257" or any other 0.264" cartridge.

260Remguy,

In today's world, I have to agree with you, but how much of that "truth" is due to the standard twist on the cartridge and the wonderful variety of bullets available in .264 to take advantage of that twist? I like to imagine a .257 Ai with a fast twist barrel and the right bullets to take advantage of it. Though a lot of folks have killed elk well with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I tend not to think of it as an "elk+" cartridge. So if we just think about "deer-", I think that imaginary .257 AI world I described above would be pretty awesome.

Just my two bits. I love my .257 Roberts, and I love my 6.5 Creedmoor. Just a thought game.

Rex
I don't love anything that can't love me back.

Over the past forty-five years I have shot the 250-3000, 257, 257AI. 250AI, 25-284, 25 Souper, and 25 WSSM quite a bit more than the 25-06. I'm not a long range hunter, so I have no need for long VLD bullets, and my elk rifles are a pair of 270s shooting the same 140 grain load. My days of chasing WHAT IFs and choosing the road less traveled are pretty much over, but I'm sure that I'll find something to fill the void.
Posted By: tzone Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Web

I’m pretty sure Web is Roundoak. Posts a few days after all the bs went down. Asks about a caliber he liked a lot, never comes back….
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
Dang Brad - that’s a beauty!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22

I see brass being easier for the Souper. How much of a velocity advantage does it offer over the 250AI?
Posted By: WAM Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
I love my .257 Roberts Ruger 77 tanger. It’s not my choice for an elk rifle, but it is certainly capable of killing one. Topped with a 3-9x Kahles and very accurate. I’m not interested in the lack of factory ammo. I’ve got enough brass, primers, 100 gr TTSX, and Ramshot Hunter to go the distance.

I see brass being easier for the Souper. How much of a velocity advantage does it offer over the 250AI?

Velocity wise the 250AI, 25 Souper, and 257 Bob that I've loaded for were within a couple of percent, but you'd expect that with case capacities running between 52 and 56 grains in Winchester brass. I had Ruger 77 RSIs with 18.5" barrels chambered for the three cartridges, the 250AI and 25 Souper used the same short action and the 257 is a long action, so close variables.

i had trouble getting the 250AI to feed smoothly in all three rifles that I had chambered for it, a Remington 600, Ruger 77RSI, and Savage 99C. I subsequently rebarreled the Ruger to 25 Souper and that eliminated the feeding issues.

I think that the 25 Souper is a better choice in a short action because the shorter case allows for more COAL latitude than the 257 and, at least in my experience, it feeds more smoothly than the 250AI. The only 25 Souper that I put together was the Ruger, so a sample size of one. I never felt the need to make another one and subsequently moved on to the 25 WSSM in super short action Winchester 70s. Also, I find that the long action Ruger 77 RSIs balance a little better than the short actions, so I prefer the 257 to the 25 Souper in that platform.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
What do you think caused the feeding issues? Shoulder angle?
What do you think caused the feeding issues? Shoulder angle?

Yes. The Ruger fed fine when it was a 250-3000 prior to the rechamber. I didn't modify the feed rails on it and the 25 Souper wouldn't typically need that sort of work done to the action.

I have a Ruger 77R and a Savage 99CD in 257AI with a 40-degree shoulder that have similar feeding issues. I'm a make the first shot count hunter, so the ability to quickly cycle a bolt action is low on my needs hierarchy. If I need a rifle to cycle quickly, like when jump shooting in heavy cover, I'll carry a pump or semi-auto in lieu of any other action style.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
P.O. Ackley kinda did me a favor in the early '80's when he was retired by rechambering my Ruger 250 to improved. Feed's like a hot knife thru butter. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
i had trouble getting the 250AI to feed smoothly in all three rifles that I had chambered for it, a Remington 600, Ruger 77RSI, and Savage 99C.

That would do it for me as well.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: .257 Roberts - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Web

Those XTR's have forged receivers.

Top-of-the-line Winchester rifle.

Load it to .30-06 pressure (60K PSI) w/ confidence.

GR
Originally Posted by sqweeler
P.O. Ackley kinda did me a favor in the early '80's when he was retired by rechambering my Ruger 250 to improved. Feed's like a hot knife thru butter. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Your outcome is just different than mine. Do you know if your 'smith changed the feed rails? If the 25 Souper hadn't been a viable option for me and I had been more committed to the 250AI, I would have looked at adjusting the action. The 99 magazines were modified to better handle the straighter AI cases for both the 250AI and the 257AI. Ray Montgomery did the work on the 99CD in 257AI and spent quite a bit of time to get it to feed as well as it does, but it sure doesn't feed like a hot knife through butter.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: .257 Roberts - 12/08/22
Hard to see,but P.O. did no mod's on the Ruger. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .257 Roberts - 12/12/22

250AI

I like the Roberts, Swede and 7x57 in a LA. A 3" action would probably be about perfect for those. The 3.4" LA is better, IMO, than the 2.8" SA.

DF
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .257 Roberts - 12/13/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

250AI

I like the Roberts, Swede and 7x57 in a LA. A 3" action would probably be about perfect for those. The 3.4" LA is better, IMO, than the 2.8" SA.

DF

I agree that the 55mm case length of the 6.5x55 and 284 are a little too long for an optimal COAL fit in a 2.8" short action. Same/same for the 57mm case length of the 257 Roberts and 7x57.

I think that Ruger's decision to build their 257 Roberts rifles on a long action was better than Remington's choice of a short action in all of their 700s and 722s except for the 700 Classic, as cataloged, and the stainless 700 Classic, a non-cataloged limited run for a wholesaler. That said, my favorite cataloged 257 Roberts rifles are the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, a short action, and the Winchester 70 FWT, a long action.

What can I say, I'm just an old guy with eclectic tastes. Heck, my favorite long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the 256 Newton, so I'm clearly a road less traveled sort of guy.
Posted By: pete53 Re: .257 Roberts - 12/13/22
i built a 257 Creedmoor and it does shoot well but i still liked the old 257 Roberts and 2 of the 7 - 257 Roberts have, these two have new Brux 8 twist barrels on them and both shoot real good too.i hunt mostly with my 257 Weatherby mag. Ruger #1 but once i get a little older i will switch to a 257 Roberts rifle, i also have 2 - Newton rifles and my favorite is a 256 Newton that i did shoot a doe with . these 257 Roberts i have owned all have gone or will go too the family hunters including a very nice 257 Roberts Ruger #1 ,1B to my grandson Alexander.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257 Roberts - 12/13/22
I think that Ruger's decision to build their 257 Roberts rifles on a long action was better than Remington's choice of a short action in all of their 700s and 722s except for the 700 Classic, as cataloged, and the stainless 700 Classic, a non-cataloged limited run for a wholesaler. That said, my favorite cataloged 257 Roberts rifles are the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, a short action, and the Winchester 70 FWT, a long action.

I had one of those 700 stainless Classics in 257 a few moons ago.

It was waaaaay too heavy for a 257 so I sold it quick and had a faux TI LA done up instead. Far nicer rifle to hunt with but not near as nice to look at as the Classic..
Posted By: Seafire Re: .257 Roberts - 12/13/22

Digital D:

That is one hell of a sweet rifle ya got there....
© 24hourcampfire