Home
!
?
In other news, the sky is blue.

Are we just saying random chit?
Boomers gonna BOOM! Lol

But I agree. To make weight, Drop a contour and hold the carbon.
Yeah but if you line 'em with good steel, then you've got something.
I’ve not had the need to spend $700-$750 on a barrel for a hunting rifle. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.
Bartlein, Broughton, Brux and Shilen have all worked well for me.
I have had many dozen's of hunting rifles over the last 35 years ( more than i can recall) and now I only buy rifles that have carbon wrapped barrels, I like the lightweight. A carbon wrapped barrel cools down 3x faster than a solid steel barrel does and that cut's my range time way down....Do I "need" my rifle to have a carbon wrapped barrel? No, but when is buying a new hunting rifle for loony's like us about "need".....good shooting...Hb
a friend of mine has a couple of the carbon barrels proof research is one of them for sure. there is some advantages the accuracy is good but not impressive for the price point in my opinion
Light done right,has NO equal. Hint.

Once you go Carbon,you gotta up stock sizing,to accept same. Hint................
I may try a #4 carbon Bart when my 22-250AI barrel pukes. I guess I should order now so I’ll have it. Anyway I can see it being a one time itch to scratch thing.

As to price they are almost double but I’ve sunk some money in regular barrels too fluting coating etc. so that closes the gap between them a little bit.
I've got 2 rifle builds with #4 CF wrapped Bartleins, both built by Shaen Rifles. Both are great shooters, probably due to the smith more than anything wink I like them but doubt I'd do another one now that I have these 2.
I’ve never bought a barrel. What would the cost be (ball park) for a Rem 700 mountain rifle contour assembled? Stainless…
If you’re talking about barrel fitted chambered etc on your rifle a ball park will be $600-$700 on up. Depending what all you want. Pac Nor would be a one stop shop for a option and starting point.
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I’ve never bought a barrel. What would the cost be (ball park) for a Rem 700 mountain rifle contour assembled? Stainless…
$600-$800 depending on barrel and who does install.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
$600-$800 depending on barrel and who does install.
Thanks AKW! Probably Shaen
I have a .270 in a McMillan rolling in soon. Would prefer a short action cartridge but I might see about rebarreling. If not I’ll put it up on here.
I've only shot animals with other peoples cf barrels. They are worth a damn.

However, not enough for me to buy one...
I reluctantly tried a Proof carbon fiber barrel to throw on my Big Horn. It has enough meat to accept my suppressor where a purely steel barrel of the same weight wouldn't. It seems to cool well, and it shoots great. Its my one and only carbon-wrapped barrel so it is a sample size of one. The entire package is an acceptable weight but provides me better performance than my steel barrels of the same weight. I'm happy so far.
One of my closest pals is in the business of building high performance BG hunting rifles. They aren’t cheap. The Proof CF barrels outperform all others. He delivers each rifle with ammo developed for that rifle.

His rifles in 28 Nosler, 300 PRC, 338 Lapua, and such cartridges average in the .300’s with full-on hunting loads. He has done at least 50 in the last few years so his results are based on a good sized sample.
Originally Posted by drop_point
It has enough meat to accept my suppressor where a purely steel barrel of the same weight wouldn't.

Please expound on this here…
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have had many dozen's of hunting rifles over the last 35 years ( more than i can recall) and now I only buy rifles that have carbon wrapped barrels, I like the lightweight. A carbon wrapped barrel cools down 3x faster than a solid steel barrel does and that cut's my range time way down....Do I "need" my rifle to have a carbon wrapped barrel? No, but when is buying a new hunting rifle for loony's like us about "need".....good shooting...Hb

Have you actually weighed two barrels yourself and seen how many ounces you are “saving” going CF?

What about taking actual temps inside the bore…where the rubber meets to road?

Just curious…
Originally Posted by joshf303

Have you actually weighed two barrels yourself and seen how many ounces you are “saving” going CF?

Just curious…

In my experience you won't save weight by going with a CF barrel... Might add a couple of ounces. But it is the trendy thing to do and if it makes you happy go for it. I think they look good and in some cases shoot really well. I'm not convinced they shoot better than a quality steel barrel put together by a reputable gunsmith. I've had two CF barrels put on and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Just curious…

This^^^
Carbon fiber traps the heat...

just because you can't feel it on the surface doesn't mean it magically disappeared
Originally Posted by irfubar

Just curious…

This^^^

just because you can't feel it on the surface doesn't mean it magically disappeared

So you mean…it’s a buncha marketing bullschit…again?

Just curious…

This^^^

So you mean…it’s a buncha marketing bullschit…again?

Yep.... to me the main purpose would be in a suppressed application it looks better... wink
I’m toying with the idea of re-barreling my 270
WSM with a fast twist carbon wrapped barrel. I have tons of components and the Bansner stock on it has a huge barrel channel already.

Just curious…
I have never weighed individual barrels but I have weighed factory rifles for what thats worth. I had a Christensen Mesa FFT vs a Christensen Ridgeline FFT on the scales and the 20" carbon barrel Ridgeline FFT weighed 5.5 ounces less than the 20" lightweight barrel Mesa FFT. As far as conducting temperature tests on the inside of fired barrels sorry i have not, but i think it would make an interesting experiment. I base my faster cool down for the carbon wrapped barrels opinion on practical experience at the range and from a discussion i had with a Proof Reasearch CS guy, he claimed that proof research carbon wrapped barrels cool down 300% faster than conventional steel barrels do and i have no reason to dispute this claim as I have found I only need to wait 3-4 minutes between shots to hold tight groups when shooting one of my carbon wrapped barrel rifles vs i need to wait 8-10 minutes between shots when im shooting my Kimber Montana's or Tikka T3x Superlite rifles or groups will open up in a hurry. The Accuracy between a good steel barrel rifle vs a carbon wrapped barrel rifle in my range time has been equal, but the carbon barrels will shorten your range time significantly when your shooting for tight groups
......Hb
I can’t imagine waiting 3-4 minutes between shots much less 8-10 minutes. My groups probably aren’t as good though.
Pump the rounds through your so called fast cooling carbon barrel and burn out the steel liner in no time.... at three times the replacement cost? no thanks
I would only consider it for something like a 308 that has long barrel life
Yeah im a 308 Win man, never even considered a 6.5 CM 😁......Hb
I just love this picture....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yeah im a 308 Win man, never even considered a 6.5 CM 😁......Hb

Wise man.... wink
The outright Bullschit,that some think is "true",is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
I just love this picture....

Dang what happened there? The carbon fiber wrap get cut somehow?
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I can’t imagine waiting 3-4 minutes between shots much less 8-10 minutes. My groups probably aren’t as good though.

smile

It almost shoots Improved Cylinder. Almost! I've had well over 100 Custom spouts and never one that shot that schitty. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Pump the rounds through your so called fast cooling carbon barrel and burn out the steel liner in no time.... at three times the replacement cost? no thanks
If CF does cool faster, it ought to show up as at least marginally better barrel life. It's heat that kills barrels.
Originally Posted by RHutch
Boomers gonna BOOM! Lol

But I agree. To make weight, Drop a contour and hold the carbon.

Or maybe just flute it... to maintain rigidity.

GR
I've nothing against them. Nothing for them either.

For me, the best use is to fit a stock that already has an uber-big channel that I don't want "as much" weight as a varmint/sendero steel would have.

After using one, I learned if overall light weight is what you want, you want light contour steel. 20" carbon to 22" #1 (with a smaller bore) saved about 1/2 a pound.
A 22 Hornet and a 220 Swift NIB Rifles,that never see a barrel/chamber temp greater than 90 degrees,won't die at like round counts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If CF does cool faster, it ought to show up as at least marginally better barrel life. It's heat that kills barrels.

If you research Springfield's Waypoint with a carbon fiber barrel they claim to flute the steel barrel under the carbon fiber to assist dissipating the heat, that suggest the carbon fiber traps the heat.
Feeling the outside surface and it being cool leads me to believe it does indeed trap the heat
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've nothing against them. Nothing for them either.

For me, the best use is to fit a stock that already has an uber-big channel that I don't want "as much" weight as a varmint/sendero steel would have.

After using one, I learned if overall light weight is what you want, you want light contour steel. 20" carbon to 22" #1 (with a smaller bore) saved about 1/2 a pound.

Not for me either,but perhaps viable for some. Light done right,has NO equal. Hint................
Same problem a friend and an acguaintance have, flyers.
Friend is going to have a heart-attack if he doesn't get this barrel shooting,laf, he sent me this link.

Originally Posted by Kaleb

THIS
Last time I shot my ABolt, I shot a .28 three shot group as fast as I could settle the reticle.
It has enough meat to accept my suppressor where a purely steel barrel of the same weight wouldn't.

Question wasnt directed at me, but i belive what hes saying, which is the way i look at it is, say you want a barrel with a .75 muzzle diameter to seat a direct thread suppressor. The all steel barrel at that diameter will weigh more than a cf barrel at the same diameter
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah

Question wasnt directed at me, but i belive what hes saying, which is the way i look at it is, say you want a barrel with a .75 muzzle diameter to seat a direct thread suppressor. The all steel barrel at that diameter will weigh more than a cf barrel at the same diameter

What bore diameter and thread size exactly?

Im talking in general. A carbon fiber barrel with xxx diameter should weigh less than an all steel barrel of the same diameter
Just built a 6 ARC with a Proof Research barrel. Tried to talk the son out of spending that much for a barrel but he he has the means and insisted. So far, the rifle shoots good. Still need to do some load development.. we have only shot 100 rounds down the tube so far, but I am not seeing flyers or shift in zero.
I've a "few" Krunchentickers so chambered,none of which ain't not steel,through and through. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Jut sayin'...............
Maybe I’ll start building an electric primer gizmo with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel in a 7 RSAUM Creedmoor….I wonder if I should AI it too?…..😂

Questions to answers not asked…

Suppressors typically need around 0.7” of diameter at the shoulder to ensure stability and eliminate the risk of a baffle strike.

I can use a carbon wrap barrel and have plenty of shoulder diameter. To get the same shoulder diameter with a steel barrel, I will have a much, much heavier barrel. There is an exception, the barrels that trumpet out toward the muzzle. I think Browning is the only factory rifle I’ve seen made this way, and Shilen makes barrel blanks that way.

Most .30 caliber suppressors are 5/8-24…some companies recommend a 0.7” or larger shoulder, while some say 0.75”.
© 24hourcampfire