Home
Posted By: 8SNAKE Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Someone claimed that the 7-08 was dying in another thread, which seemed greatly exaggerated to me. Rather than muck up the thread in question, I thought I'd pose the question here. Thoughts?
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
No
Posted By: hanco Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I’ll go check mine……. No. It is still breathing
Posted By: Calvin Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
You really have to define “dying”.

If you are asking if 7-08 fans will continue using them, the answer is no, it’s not dying. If you are asking if the 7-08 will continue to be supported by rifle manufacturers, it’s debatable.
Posted By: SKane Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I'd need to see some data but in my neck of the woods, it's seems more popular than ever.
A few weeks back I asked a shop owner what parents were buying their new hunters these days? "6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08" was the response.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I won't say it is dying, but the former luster it once had is gone, at least around here. I've been in the retail gun business for almost 30 years. At one point, the .270, .30-06 and 7-08 were the most requested deer rifles. I hardly have any requests for them now. The .308 and the Man-Bun rule the roost. The lack of 7-08 ammo over the last few years may have a lot to do with it, but the Creed was already winning the battle prior to that.
Posted By: Teal Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
It's not the easiest to find factory ammo for on the shelf.

Ammo companies make what sells and has high demand - right now, priority 1 is prob Creedmoor for machine time.

I think it will always have fans. I own and shoot one as my primary rifle. Love it. It's been nicknamed "The Death Star" because over the last 10 years, nothing escapes. I think total tracking distance on deer in that time has been 30 feet combined. Just an amazing cartridge that seems to kill above its paygrade.

That said - likely, were I buying new today without a rifle in the case - I'm probably solid in the 6.5 Creed because both rifles and ammo are plentiful.

IMO - it's not dying, it's not growing either and I find it to be amazing as a handloader. Definitely not looking to replace it and as I muse, below say 338/375 magnum - I don't see much need for anything else other than varmint 223. That is to say, if I need "more" than what I can do with a 7-08, I likely need quite a bit more and a 30-06/300WM ain't it chief. YMMV.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent post, Teal.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
It's still dang popular here. And while ammo is expensive, It can be found.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
+1 Teal

I never really liked the 7-08, and have liked stuff on either side of it more. My friends who use it wouldn't be without one.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I think it's more popular than ever right now
Posted By: Redneck Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Calvin

If you are asking if 7-08 fans will continue using them, the answer is no, it’s not dying. If you are asking if the 7-08 will continue to be supported by rifle manufacturers, it’s debatable.
That!.

Originally Posted by Teal
It's not the easiest to find factor ammo for on the shelf.

Ammo companies make what sells and has high demand - right now, priority 1 is prob Creedmoor for machine time.

I think it will always have fans. I own and shoot one as my primary rifle. Love it. It's been nicknamed "The Death Star" because over the last 10 years, nothing escapes. I think total tracking distance on deer in that time has been 30 feet combined. Just an amazing cartridge that seems to kill above its paygrade.

That said - likely, were I buying new today without a rifle in the case - I'm probably solid in the 6.5 Creed because both rifles and ammo are plentiful.

IMO - it's not dying, it's not growing either and I find it to be amazing as a handloader. Definitely not looking to replace it and as I muse, below say 338/375 magnum - I don't see much need for anything else other than varmint 223. That is to say, if I need "more" than what I can do with a 7-08, I likely need quite a bit more and a 30-06/300WM ain't it chief. YMMV.
Good post, Teal... In this part of the country it's fairly popular, since average distance of shots (for say, deer) is under 100 yds..
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
The 7-08 is a fine round but if buying a new rifle the 6.5mm CM has a lot more ammo support and does the same job.

I would bet a small sum that, on average, 6.5mm CM rifles will shoot better than 7-08s using factory ammo.

SAAMI spec 7-08 throats and SAAMI spec factory ammo are not the best fit.
Posted By: mathman Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by SKane
I'd need to see some data but in my neck of the woods, it's seems more popular than ever.
A few weeks back I asked a shop owner what parents were buying their new hunters these days? "6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08" was the response.

Interesting. I'd have thought the ammunition availability these days would suppress new 7-08 rifle demand.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Mine's not.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I would bet a small sum that, on average, 6.5mm CM rifles will shoot better than 7-08s using factory ammo.

I believe you could fill in a lot of cartridges where you've typed 7-08 and still be correct.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
LOL yeesh. It was me. And the comment was made in the context of ammo availability, not that many responding actually read it all.

On one hand, it's much harder for the non-reloader to find 708 on physical shelves, it's more expensive when they do (even relative to general increase), and there are way fewer new rifles in just the last few years. On the other hand, stores that don't even have spots for 708 do have tons of different 6.5cm ammo... and the new 6, 6.5 and 7mm rounds just keep coming.

So, if you're a casual hunter/shooter or even a serious one that doesn't reload, 708 is not a logical place to start. But as I said in the original thread, it's a great hunting round.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
The 7-08 is a fine round but if buying a new rifle the 6.5mm CM has a lot more ammo support and does the same job.

This^^^^^^^

Not dying with the people who have it & most are probably not rushing to replace it with the 6.5, but if you measure new gun sales from maybe 5 years past & going forward from now, they are not increasing for the 7-08 for the reasons JB cited.

MM
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
LOL yeesh. It was me. And the comment was made in the context of ammo availability, not that many responding actually read it all.

On one hand, it's much harder for the non-reloader to find 708 on physical shelves, it's more expensive when they do (even relative to general increase), and there are way fewer new rifles in just the last few years. On the other hand, stores that don't even have spots for 708 do have tons of different 6.5cm ammo... and the new 6, 6.5 and 7mm rounds just keep coming.

So, if you're a casual hunter/shooter or even a serious one that doesn't reload, 708 is not a logical place to start. But as I said in the original thread, it's a great hunting round.

I wasn't calling you out and didn't mention the other thread because I didn't want to give that appearance. I also didn't want to muck up the other guy's thread, even though it happened anyway.

7-08 may be tougher to find on physical shelves for now, but it's quite easy to get online and store inventory should improve. You can also buy 7-08 hunting ammo for $20/box. https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-remington

Your points about the 6.5 manbun are noted and I agree with them. I just think the 7-08 still makes a lot of sense for people.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

I wasn't calling you out and didn't mention the other thread because I didn't want to give that appearance. I also didn't want to muck up the other guy's thread, even though it happened anyway.

7-08 may be tougher to find on physical shelves for now, but it's quite easy to get online and store inventory should improve. You can also buy 7-08 hunting ammo for $20/box. https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-remington

Your points about the 6.5 manbun are noted and I agree with them. I just think the 7-08 still makes a lot of sense for people.

I hunt a rotation of 280, 30-30, and 6.5x55. So I totally get using effective rounds if you're already set up for them. But 708 is clearly not a priority for ammo or rifle makers and that isn't going to improve as time passes. 708 isn't going away anymore than 257R or 280 or 7x57 are... even so, they're all shadows of their former popularity in the US.
I could actually see the 7-08 getting a boost in popularity as the 7mm caliber gets more attention these days.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I think both of the below are true. However, at least as of this time, it appears that most manufacturer have all but "abandoned", for lack of a better term, the manufacturing of 7mm-08 chambered rifles for the various 6.5s. Other than the fact that business decisions like such tend to create a large group of "butt-hurt" hunters, it is a business decision and appears, from my perspective, to be a smart one, at least in the short term. It has been frustrating for the past several years not seeing a regular supply of used 7mm-08s for sale. That is also a reflection of the stead in which those who own them view them.

I could actually see the 7-08 getting a boost in popularity as the 7mm caliber gets more attention these days.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Calvin

Spot on.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
People seem to hold onto the ones they have.

Rarely see a 7mm-08 hit the used shelves. And when they do they aren't there for long.

-Jake
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

This^^^^^^^

Not dying with the people who have it & most are probably not rushing to replace it with the 6.5, but if you measure new gun sales from maybe 5 years past & going forward from now, they are not increasing for the 7-08 for the reasons JB cited.

MM

You guys are spot on, but I think most of the campfire know this and have made the same claims. What I get a kick out of is I have who know's how many 6.5CM's and 1 7mm08. When I think, which one for elk? I pull out the 7... I have not even looked for factory ammo, so I don't know what is available. One thing I know is there are a hell of a lot of people that like the little 7, and for good reason.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
There is plenty of interest in the 7-08 Rem. Again Remington really stinks when it comes to supporting their own cartridges with factory rifles. I’ve always thought that the 25-06, 260, 7-08, and their RSAUM line, which I consider a much better cartridge design by length and feeding than the WSM line, were all completely abandoned. Just goes to show the decision making by Remington which has kept them in the toilet financially for years.

The 7-08 Rem is a very desirable sweet spot for ballistics and hunting rig when considering rifle weight, barrel length, recoil, bullet technology and rifling. Let’s face it most manufacturers still utilize a 9.5 twist on 7-08 Rem rifles, which does satisfy most hunting needs with 160-170 gr class bullets. With cost of rifles and especially if you handload why bother with factory when you could simply order a $800 Rem action or Rem clone action, utilize a 3” box and nice trigger, throat and chamber to desired max bullet, put a 21-inch barrel on it and twist barrel to 8.5 or 8, and slap a Bansner stock on it. You’d have to forgo about $2,000, but you’d have one helluva firearm.

That to me is where the 7-08 Rem remains alive and well as it offers the serious rifleman the most serious rifle chamber for long range work having light recoiling. I would contend the there’s not a better set up for a mountain/alpine hunter rig. If buying factory you’re going spend close to $1,200 for a rifle that has none of the above characteristics, and of course lacking the accuracy and superior handling that the above attributes would supply.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I heard the 270win is dying also. Still waiting for that to happen.
Posted By: Teal Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by BubbaG

Naw - they give you a drug cocktail now. Can live just about forever with HIV.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I don't think that many rifles that are based on the .308, really ever die for hand loaders. The lack of factory ammo can sure hurt sales to the shelf-ammo crowd, though.

Hard to argue with a 7-08, loaded with a 139 Interlock, or 140 AB.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
While a 7-08 does not get the glitz and glamour a 6.5 CM does, it’s not dying. Just look at YouTube and there are plenty of videos with 7-08 being compared to other calibers like the .308 Win and 6.5 CM. I think it may actually be making a small, though very small comeback. I was without one for 16 years after selling my first one off. The wife bought me a new one last Christmas and it filled a hole in my soul that was lacking since I let my first one go. I’ve probably heard more people that are buying or at least showing interest in the 7-08 than I can remember.

I may see if Nugget will take me out behind the Borough dump and put me on a whitetail with it. My only concern is that he will not let me take it and make me go to the scrap metal pile and pull off a piece of copper tubing from an old discarded refrigerator to use as the weapon. Hell, he used rebar to kill his.
Sure, as if any copper makes it past Nugget to the scrap pile.
Again, the context of the original comment had to do with ammo availability for people who don't reload.

Will rounds like the 7PRC lead to renewed popularity for the 708? Probably not. At least, not for *new* buyers. Because the 7PRC isn't going to spur any new rifles in 708 and it isn't going to spur any increase in factory ammo production in 708. It's going to lead to new rifles and ammo runs in 7PRC. The 6.5cm's popularity didn't revolutionize factory ammo for 6.5x55 or 260...

Now, could the new 7mms be great for bullet availability for guys who already have a 708 and reload for it? Maybe. Depending on the specs for your rifle. I honestly have no idea how a 180 grain bullet would/could work in a 708. (My understanding of the 7PRC is a 180 grain, 7mm projectile at 300WM velocity?) But again, we're talking about a minority of hunters/shooters outside of this forum. (We hardly represent the average rifle owner here...)
Posted By: Hudge Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Sure, as if any copper makes it past Nugget to the scrap pile.

Good point! I’m sure catalytic converters don’t make it past him either😜
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Good posts.

I agree with the Creed having the edge on accuracy with factory ammo.

For the reloader, even then it can be hard to beat Creed factory groups.

My 7-08 is alive and well, sitting in the safe next to a Creed, a Swede and some other really good ones.

I find myself picking up the 7-08 more than the others.

May have to revisit that. Have samplings of Hammer bullets to try. We’ll see how that shakes out.

DF
Again, the context of the original comment had to do with ammo availability for people who don't reload.

Will rounds like the 7PRC lead to renewed popularity for the 708? Probably not. At least, not for *new* buyers. Because the 7PRC isn't going to spur any new rifles in 708 and it isn't going to spur any increase in factory ammo production in 708. It's going to lead to new rifles and ammo runs in 7PRC. The 6.5cm's popularity didn't revolutionize factory ammo for 6.5x55 or 260...

Now, could the new 7mms be great for bullet availability for guys who already have a 708 and reload for it? Maybe. Depending on the specs for your rifle. I honestly have no idea how a 180 grain bullet would/could work in a 708. (My understanding of the 7PRC is a 180 grain, 7mm projectile at 300WM velocity?) But again, we're talking about a minority of hunters/shooters outside of this forum. (We hardly represent the average rifle owner here...)

Addendum: I think the revolution in good 6mm and 6.5mm bullets will only hurt the 708 for 2 reasons. Folks who used to have reservations about using the smaller round on larger game because they didn't think bullets would hold up are changing their minds. I also think that casual/average shooters are becoming increasingly averse to recoil. To me, the recoil of a 6.5cm and 708 are almost indistinguishable (and frankly, I would also consider my 280 to be borderline negligible)... but I can't tell you how many people I've heard talking about how there's a huge drop off when you go down to 6.5cm or smaller. Probably only a couple ft#s in reality... but then the Creedmoor doesn't do a hell of a lot the Swede won't so we already know that perception can rule the day...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22

Addendum: I think the revolution in good 6mm and 6.5mm bullets will only hurt the 708 for 2 reasons. Folks who used to have reservations about using the smaller round on larger game because they didn't think bullets would hold up are changing their minds. I also think that casual/average shooters are becoming increasingly averse to recoil. To me, the recoil of a 6.5cm and 708 are almost indistinguishable (and frankly, I would also consider my 280 to be borderline negligible)... but I can't tell you how many people I've heard talking about how there's a huge drop off when you go down to 6.5cm or smaller. Probably only a couple ft#s in reality... but then the Creedmoor doesn't do a hell of a lot the Swede won't so we already know that perception can rule the day...
Those who talk about a big “drop off”, 7mm to 6.5mm, need to get out more.

DF

You make a lot of valid points, but 7-08 ammo is not hard to find online (many *new* buyers likely have no issue shopping the interwebs) and store supplies will eventually get back to normal as well. Our current ammo situation is still far from what I'd consider to be typical, even though it is improving. I also don't think it's quite fair to compare the 7-08 with the Swede or 260 in your above example. In my experience, the 7-08 is quite a bit more popular than either of those 6.5's over the last couple of decades.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I dont think the 7mm-08 is dying but its certainly not gaining many new fans these days with the 6.5 craze in full swing. The 7mm-08 is here to stay but in IMO it will eventually be mostly a reloaders boutique type cartridge similar to what the .257 Bob is now. You will find many fans of the 7mm-08 on this site and they will undoubtedly profess to its many merits but we are rifle loony's, to the average Joe Blow deer hunter they have zero interest in this cartridge and many probly have never even heard of it.....Hb
I don't discount the 6.5 craze, but folks seem to act like it's going to last forever. We're only a few videos and magazine articles away from something else jumping into the limelight. Could it be the 7-08 with new 7mm bullets coming onto the scene? Dunno, but it will be something. Always is.
Posted By: tzone Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I don't think it's dying. It may be even getting a little bump with more rifles being made with fast twist. Plenty of bullets to choose from, decent rifles being made. I don't have one but I should and will.
Love or hate it, the 6.5cm has so flooded the market it's going to be a tier 1 seller for a long time. Maybe the best marketing for any single cartridge since the 300wm?
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22

I thought you were trying to snag a deal on a 7-08 VLS by driving down the price. grin wink
Per Jim Harmer / Backfire LLC (as of June 2022)

That doesn't surprise at all except for the PRC being there and the 270 not. I wonder if the PRC was driven by sheer availability (though that sure didn't help the Noslers during COVID.... that stuff sat no matter what)?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
This is interesting. Being strictly a handloader for everything centerfire, I had no idea 7mm-08 ammo was so lacking in variety or hard to find—the whole ammo hoarding thing not withstanding.

More so, the two cartridges that do not stay on the gun shelves very long here in Colorado are the 7mm-08 and the 270W. Yet I rarely meet hunters carrying those chamberings during hunting season here in the southern Rockies.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22

Interesting that the 6.8 western outsold the 270.

Not surprised at all by the prc.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

That one surprised me too. Likely timing of release ramping up sales.
If I had to venture a guess, it won't be in the Top 20 a year from now but, admittedly, haven't kept track of its popularity.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
You can throw out the rimfire. Looking strictly at top 5 centerfires, two .26 cal, next 3 are .30 cal. I would have guessed the 270 WCF or 7mm Rem Mag would’ve been in the top 5 centerfires. 30 caliber still very much alive and well.
Posted By: Brad Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
If anything, I think there is a minor resurgence of interest in the 7-08. I think the 6.5 CM opened a lot of eyes to the virtues of a small case/smaller bore on BG, and a lot of guys that knew nothing about the 7-08 turned to it in the same, general, low-recoil, 6.5 CM wave that has taken hold (thankfully) in the USA.

The 7-08 is a great round I have no use for - make mine .308 laugh
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
I have never seen a 6.8 Western sitting on the shelf—either they sell before I get there or people are ordering them from their dealer.

But as Skane mentions it may be a surge from initial release.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Brad, you abandoned your 7/08(s) ? smile

Re: 7 vs CM, IF ammo companies loaded 'like quality' ammo, at same same prices, with quality bullets - both equally accurate....and top safe speeds.....THEN had the same variety of factory Rifles available for either, it would be interesting which folks would buy first.

I ran 6.5x55s nearly 30 years ago, 260s, CM, and x47 since, along with many 7/08s. All highly effective. No Flies on the 7/08, I ran 140s at 2960 in 21" 700 bbls and shot some very tight groups.......even a factory 700V that made SEVERAL consecutive 3 shot groups, 1/2" with 100......yes 100 gr Hornady HPs over Varget......in trash RP brass.........Oh.......at 200 yds. I never clocked them......but I would bet they were Hauling Azz.......they got downrange fast wink It would have put the hurt on coyotes.

Good thread.......when we consider that in 2022, we are talking about nigh ballistic twins of a round that was invented in 1891....

And it will STILL shoot right with......or best the 7-308 and the Creedmoor.

As to ammo availabiltiy, let's not forget, it may not be a supply issue, in the sense that it's not produced in substantial quantity (though no doubt the machines are spitting out plenty CM)...........but it may well be that there are plenty rifle owners using 7/08 that are buying up said ammo. Don't sweat it, flip a coin and pick one, you will do just fine.
Posted By: SAKO280REM Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
No

No elk picture? Lol
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I have never seen a 6.8 Western sitting on the shelf—either they sell before I get there or people are ordering them from their dealer.

But as Skane mentions it may be a surge from initial release.
I’m willing to wager the 7 prc will be ahead of the 6.8 W in sales a year from now.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/21/22
in my area there are 2 types of rifle buyers; young folks in 20s and 30s who are all buying a 6.5 CM and old folks (over 40) who are getting the old favorites like 270, 308, 30-06. i visit a very large lgs almost weekly (my cousin is the owner) and look at most rifles. i've seen a tremendous number of 6.5CMs and somewhat less in 270s/308s. i haven't seen a factory 708 in at least 3 years, and same for a 7mmremmag/300winmag. i also haven't seen factory 708 ammo in over 3 years. 6.5CM is in every store in my area. my local walmart has plenty of 6.5CM, 270win, 308, and 30-06 ammo.

i'd say the 708 is still very much alive as long as one reloads. the 708 isn't dead but the 6.5 CM has sent it to the back of the bus and i don't see it moving up in the next 10 years. i repeatedly read that handloaders are greatly outnumbered by those who don't reload and the vast majority of those who hunt buy their ammo from either the local lgs or walmart. if that is true, the 708 is on an uphill climb. the 708 is a fine, capable cartridge but it isn't getting the support it needs to remain popular to the average joe. ymmv.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I drove by the cemetery today and I saw a headstone with 260 REM engraved on it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by SAKO280REM
No

No elk picture? Lol

You asked for it!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22

Guess I should have asked if the .270 is dying. cry

Somebody must be chambering rifles in 7-08 if it's the #9 most popular bolt action cartridge on the list. grin
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Jericho
I drove by the cemetery today and I saw a headstone with 260 REM engraved on it.
😂😂
Posted By: barm Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22

Where did he get these numbers?
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I won't say it is dying, but the former luster it once had is gone, at least around here. I've been in the retail gun business for almost 30 years. At one point, the .270, .30-06 and 7-08 were the most requested deer rifles. I hardly have any requests for them now. The .308 and the Man-Bun rule the roost. The lack of 7-08 ammo over the last few years may have a lot to do with it, but the Creed was already winning the battle prior to that.

I picked up one of those man bun calibers in a Kimber Hunter for $679 so I think the caliber is losing it’s luster.
Posted By: SKane Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by barm
[quote=SKane]Per Jim Harmer / Backfire LLC (as of June 2022)

I tried to provide the link but it kept coming up as a youtube link.
Anyway, if you search the guy and bolt action popularity, it'll come up.

He cited an industry source that shall remain nameless. He has some other interesting data concerning ammo sold too.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Several times in the 2 yrs of covid panic I saw 7-08 factory ammo shelves and called a buddy, both times American Whitetail hunter mid to high 20's a box yesterday I noted that both fleet & farm and Scheels both had good stacks of Remington 140 gr Corelokt loads 7-08. It's out there 34.99 to 36.99 per box...mb
Posted By: DHN Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Those who talk about a big “drop off”, 7mm to 6.5mm, need to get out more.

DF
Agreed. A friend who uses a .25-06 has commented negatively about the recoil of the .270. he doesn't like it, too strong.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I don’t think so. More of other, newer cartridges rising. Same as always.

If we made a list of the hottest cartridges of the day, by sales volume, we still would have a nice list.
I can't help but chuckling at how this all started. My final thought: lots of folks are in deer season withdrawals 😇😂
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I think with all the attention the 6.5 Creed is getting the ammo manufacturers are neglecting the 7mm08. You have to really search to find ammo in stock and if you are a reloader brass is just as scarce. Out of stock everywhere.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I can't help but chuckling at how this all started. My final thought: lots of folks are in deer season withdrawals 😇😂

Yep. Don’t hold it against us. 😜
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Yep. Don’t hold it against us. 😜
Unfortunately I'm right there with you! (Freezer is full, so I really can't complain... and yet I will!)
Posted By: lastround Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
My 7mm-08’s are alive and well, but thanks for asking. But, I do reload for them.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
First time in the 7-08 circle. Found the step son one in a kimber hunter, Got brass and bullets. First load out of 3 different seating depths Shot under 3/4", Loaded up 10 more and it just got better. Done. He only shot 1 shot in deer season, he only had 1 tag. He really likes it and I'm happy.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
My 1989 Rem Model 7 FS, Howa Alpine, Remington 700 CDL and Kimber 84M Classic Select 7mm-08s all beg to differ. Each rifle shoots at least .75 MOA or better (while breaking in the said rifles.)

Saying the 7mm-08 is dying is simple mis-information.
Posted By: Shag Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I've done a bunch of killing with a 30-06 and 180gr Partitions/Accubonds 150gr Accubond/150gr TTSX. And a 7mm-08 rem has killed Elk/deer, just as effective. A 140gr Partition in a 7mm-08 rem is "mean as hell". Has done anything my -06's have every done. Never caught a 140gr in a 7mm-08 rem. Or a .260rem or a 6.5 CM. All have killed a couple elk each. I've caught every 150gr Partition in a .277 that ever hit an elk.

Is it dying? Damn you for even asking such a question...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Shag
I've done a bunch of killing with a 30-06 and 180gr Partitions/Accubonds 150gr Accubond/150gr TTSX. And a 7mm-08 rem has killed Elk/deer, just as effective. A 140gr Partition in a 7mm-08 rem is "mean as hell". Has done anything my -06's have every done. Never caught a 140gr in a 7mm-08 rem. Or a .260rem or a 6.5 CM. All have killed a couple elk each. I've caught every 150gr Partition in a .277 that ever hit an elk.

Exactly... The OP is just trying to stir the pot.. Or maybe smoked too much??
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by BubbaG

Naw - they give you a drug cocktail now. Can live just about forever with HIV.

Ha ha.. Bingo right there^^^
Good posts.

I agree with the Creed having the edge on accuracy with factory ammo.

For the reloader, even then it can be hard to beat Creed factory groups.

My 7-08 is alive and well, sitting in the safe next to a Creed, a Swede and some other really good ones.

I find myself picking up the 7-08 more than the others.

May have to revisit that. Have samplings of Hammer bullets to try. We’ll see how that shakes out.

DF

I have a Tikka T3 308win sitting right next to my Tikka T3X 7mm08 and that one sitting right next to the Tikka T3X superlite 6.5 creedmoor. Take a guess which one I grab..
Posted By: Blacktails Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I don't see a lot of 7-08 rifles or factory ammo around here, but I typically buy ammo online, so not a problem. I'm old school, so a 7-08 custom, 257R, 25-06,and 30-06 for me. Foolishly sold a 270 many years ago that I've always regretted. I will say that the urge for a 6cm is getting pretty strong though, lol.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Jericho

Oh man, don’t tell me that. My .260 sees the range a lot more than my 6.5 CM. I bought it as a gift to myself when I retired 4 year ago from the Air Force. It came out the year I joined the AF and always wanted one, but never got one. I got one with a 1:8 barrel, but it’s a lot pickier than my man bun is.
Posted By: Dre Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I was going to get a 7-08 about 6? years back. I was waiting for the sales guy at sportsman’s. So I went and Looked at the ammo availability and price on the shelf.
The 6.5 creed had at least 4 or 5 times the selection and cheapest 6.5 was $10.99 vs $25 something for the 7-08.
Bought the 6.5 and 10 boxes of the S&B for brass and cheap plinking ammo.

Now that I reload it doesn’t matter. But that was one of deciding factors.
Posted By: Teal Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by rcbergs
I think with all the attention the 6.5 Creed is getting the ammo manufacturers are neglecting the 7mm08. You have to really search to find ammo in stock and if you are a reloader brass is just as scarce. Out of stock everywhere.

I don't have a single piece of brass that actually says "7-08" on it. All of mine started as Lapua 308. 308 brass is usually pretty easy to find.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
My two are alive and well.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I have owned 4. I sold a Rem Model 7, but still have 3, all Kimbers. I picked up a Montana first (reason I sold the Model 7), then an Adirondack for use with a suppressor, and finally a SuperAmerica I ran across “used” for a sweet deal! I personally love the 7mm-08! Yes, ammo has been hard to find, but not impossible. I do reload but time has been tight the past couple of years, not to mention some components. I’m closing in on retirement and reloading/shooting more is at the top of my list!

I also have a couple of Creedmoors including a Kimber Mountain Ascent I picked up off the classifieds here this past summer. I have shot 2 deer and a big boar feral hog with it this year. I honestly would’ve preferred a 7mm-08 in the same rifle, if I could have found one. Nothing against the Creedmoor or any other 6.5, I’m just a big 7mm fan myself.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
My 7-08 and my 7x57 kill everything I shoot RIGHT THERE. I mean like instantaneously roll over and die. I’m sure lots of rifles can do that but they seem to work all out of proportion to their size and recoil. I don’t have a 6.5 Creedmoor but I do have a 6.5x55 and at least with the deer I have shot, the effect has not been as dramatic as the 7 mm’s.
Posted By: WAM Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
With two 7x57’s in the safe, I would have a hard time convincing myself to buy a 7mm-08. Where I deer hunt these days, shots are seldom more than 150 yards. The few fps extra with the 7-08 doesn’t really matter.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I never have seen many rifles or ammo for 7-08 here. Never understood why. Bunch of people here used to use 7 Rem Mags.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Shag

Exactly... The OP is just trying to stir the pot.. Or maybe smoked too much??

No, I'm not. It was an honest question about the relevance of 7-08 in today's market. The "dying" part may be a touch dramatic, but I'm not a pot stirrer (or smoker grin)

On a completely unrelated note, did you ever play around with your BOSS equipped Winchester? Curious to know how it did for you.
Posted By: tzone Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I wonder is ammo availability has something to do with it. From last hunting season until about late September or early October of this year I couldn't find a box of .270 for sale anywhere.
Posted By: tzone Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22

Read the top of the list you quoted.
Posted By: Brad Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by 65BR
Brad, you abandoned your 7/08(s) ?

I did. I’m a minimalist at heart and don’t like keeping stuff around I don’t use. But at least two 308’s will always been at my house!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I think you hit it on the nail head zoner, not the most popular cartridges but the most popularly availible ammo produced in the last 2 years. 30-30 ,300 sav.,winchest short mags, 35 rem,25-06, 270,280,243,etc are all still popular but the ammo was damn scarce. When you did find it people were buying multiple boxes and it didn't last long. Makes you wonder where these marketing dickheads.
Have their heads.
Posted By: OGB Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
If I may.......

I don't currently reload. I have been assembling all the necessary stuff and will begin soon.

I think it is well known that a whole raft of cartridges basically do the same thing. I know, I know, "my cartridge is better than yours".

I want to like the 7mm-08 and it can be argued that it is "better" than the (insert cartridge here) and I won't disagree with you.

Couple of problems, I'm left-handed, which means I don't get the full spectrum of cartridges available to me in many factory rifles and 308 ammo is everywhere.

You can find ammo for about anything if you search hard enough but.......... The options are limited. Meaning, I can readily find 308 with about any bullet for about any application.

You guys really make me want a 7mm-08 and it may happen down the road but for now the 308 is the easy button. I think that may be why it is "languishing" at the moment.

PS. Don't hate on me for not reloading. I'm working on it!
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22

He cited an industry source that shall remain nameless. He has some other interesting data concerning ammo sold too.

Bet .270 Win. is on the Ammo List.

GR
I'm not sure I'm buying the data after looking at the list multiple times. Things that were also scarce are there, which makes me think that isn't why 270 is missing and 6.8 is there. I'd want to know the scale of the data reported and see sources before assuming this wasn't an advert for 6.8 and 6.5prc. I NEVER see 6.8 where the vast majority of folks buy guns and ammo. But it jumped 7 mag and is trailing on 308? Eh...
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
I've always wanted one, but being in suburbia, ammo availability hasn't been great for that cartridge for decades. .243, 30-30, 30-06, all the staples.

Looking now, I still want a short action deer round, and the 7mm-08 and 6.5 cred are on that short list. The 6.5 seems a little more recoil friendly and I just prefer that these days. Sure, the 7mm-08 isn't a slapping 30-06, but if I can get the job done with less recoil, then why not.

Are my assumptions off?
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I've always wanted one, but being in suburbia, ammo availability hasn't been great for that cartridge for decades. .243, 30-30, 30-06, all the staples.

Looking now, I still want a short action deer round, and the 7mm-08 and 6.5 cred are on that short list. The 6.5 seems a little more recoil friendly and I just prefer that these days. Sure, the 7mm-08 isn't a slapping 30-06, but if I can get the job done with less recoil, then why not.

Are my assumptions off?

I don't have a 6.5 creed but have a .260 and a 7-08. I don't notice any real difference in recoil between the two.

Are my assumptions off?

I don't have a 6.5 creed but have a .260 and a 7-08. I don't notice any real difference in recoil between the two.
Agree. To me, 6.5, 708, and 30-30 are all basically the same and negligible. I feel a drop from them to 243, but not much.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
By the looks of things at the LGS today I would say no. More 7-08 ammo than just about anything else.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22

I'm not saying those numbers are wrong, but it seems suspicious. More 300 WM sold than .308? More 6.5 PRC sold than either of those and the 30-06?
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
By the looks of things at the LGS today I would say no. More 7-08 ammo than just about anything else.

The store manager probably knows it's popular in your area?

Are my assumptions off?

Yes, your assumptions are off.
Posted By: SKane Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I'm not saying those numbers are wrong, but it seems suspicious. More 300 WM sold than .308? More 6.5 PRC sold than either of those and the 30-06?

Don't shoot the messenger. laugh

I thought it a bit peculiar. The guy has a lot of contacts in the industry but who knows - he could have just been relying on a single manufacturer for his data.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/22/22
For sure. I picked up three boxes of 140 grain Remington today.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
“Dying”, what color?
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by Reloder28
“Dying”, what color?

https://writingexplained.org/dieing-vs-dying-difference

Swing and a miss.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22

My guess is this is from one online retailer or something. In any case dubious info without a source. Every now and then I remember shootingtimes or gunsandammo or some magazine posting most sold lists from the various manufactures but not seen in a long while

Lou
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by Reloder28
“Dying”, what color?
You mean Dyeing maybe...Hb
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
Reforming .308 brass is a great option I have not had to put into play yet. I have two Browning BLRs in 7mm08, one stainless for bad weather and an older steel receiver blue/walnut that I will never part with. Great rifles chambered in a great caliber.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
If memory serves me right (always questionable these days) the 7-08 came out in the’70’s as the ideal cartridge for metallic silhouette shooting. At that time it was lauded as having the ideal mix of bullet weight, trajectory, recoil and “inherent accuracy” for that game. It took it a while to become a well-regarded hunting cartridge, I think, because we were still thrashing around in the throes of magnumitis. For me, personally, I was never able to generate any interest in the cartridge. I don’t know why. I love my 6.5x55 and my.308, would have taken a Ruger 1A in 7x57 home recently if the serial number hadn’t been in the range of questionable barrels…just could never develop an interest in the 7-08, even though I know it’s a wonderful cartridge.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
The 7mm-08 is way more popular with the Campfire than it is with the big box store ammo buyers who can put the death knell on anything that isn't a .308, .223, 7.62x39 or a Creedmoor. After our deer season there was one box of 7mm-08 ammunition for sale locally and that was nothing that I was going to buy. I was at our local Fleet Farm last week in the ammo isle the clerk asked me if he could help me find something? Yes I said, 7mm-08 ammunition and told him that they hadn't had a box of that on the shelf in over two years. He said that it isn't as popular as a .308. Maybe not, but there was hundreds of pounds of .308's on the shelf and near nothing else.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/23/22
If I was forced to pick one of my rifles token for Southern whitetail hunting; my 7mm-08 would be it. Shooting Barnes Vor-Tx 120g TTSX
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by Blacktails
I don't see a lot of 7-08 rifles or factory ammo around here, but I typically buy ammo online, so not a problem. I'm old school, so a 7-08 custom, 257R, 25-06,and 30-06 for me. Foolishly sold a 270 many years ago that I've always regretted. I will say that the urge for a 6cm is getting pretty strong though, lol.
Careful there...

grin

DF
Posted By: SAKO280REM Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by SAKO280REM
No

No elk picture? Lol

You asked for it!

P
👍
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by Windfall
The 7mm-08 is way more popular with the Campfire than it is with the big box store ammo buyers who can put the death knell on anything that isn't a .308, .223, 7.62x39 or a Creedmoor. After our deer season there was one box of 7mm-08 ammunition for sale locally and that was nothing that I was going to buy. I was at our local Fleet Farm last week in the ammo isle the clerk asked me if he could help me find something? Yes I said, 7mm-08 ammunition and told him that they hadn't had a box of that on the shelf in over two years. He said that it isn't as popular as a .308. Maybe not, but there was hundreds of pounds of .308's on the shelf and near nothing else.

Again, store manager pushing his own favorite cartridges on people. That guy and I would not get along very well. One guy here said his LGS had a bunch of it. In that locale, the 7mm-08 may be popular as hell and the store manager there is doing his due diligence to keep ammo on the shelves. Also, you say the "7mm-08 is way more popular with the campfire". That actually says a lot because there are a bunch of rifle lovers here. As JB says, "rifle loonies": We know what works and we know what works well. The 7mm08 is one of my favorites.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
I love mine. But it is definitely being over shadowed by the 6.5. I couldn't find my favorite ammo this year to replenish what
I shot last year. I got 3 or 4 years worth for hunting so not in any panic for it. If I buy a new deer rifle I will put serious consideration into a
6.5 CM. And I have a bur haircut, wear a regular hunting cap and couldn't squeeze into a pair of skinny pants if my life depended on it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I love mine. But it is definitely being over shadowed by the 6.5. I couldn't find my favorite ammo this year to replenish what
I shot last year. I got 3 or 4 years worth for hunting so not in any panic for it. If I buy a new deer rifle I will put serious consideration into a
6.5 CM. And I have a bur haircut, wear a regular hunting cap and couldn't squeeze into a pair of skinny pants if my life depended on it.

Don't worry about Creedmoor haters. They're just butthurt over a better mousetrap. grin
Posted By: Brad Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Don't worry about Creedmoor haters. They're just butthurt over a better mousetrap. grin

That's a sig line right there laugh
Posted By: szihn Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Simple answer:

Nope
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by Brad

Agreed. I have several cartridges, in several calibers and my Creeds and .260s are my go-to for most of my hunting now.

I just killed a big cow elk with one of my Creeds.

I never had an issue with the 7-08-just had no reason for another chambering. Factory ammo is irrelevant to me, as I have not shot hardly any in 50 years.
Posted By: DeWman Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
I’ve had my 7-08, 243, & current 308 since the early ‘90s. I find ammo for all 3 every year though only the 308 easily year round. I shoot my 7-08 most because I like the rifle the most and so the model would be my criteria today to pick. If the same model I would look at fit and finish. If both of those are good, flip a coin, caliber be damned.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22

Touche’

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22

Sure is. I"m gonna have to steal that one.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
Ha, next someone will invent a new 6.5 called the x55 Swede, a better mousetrap smile Let the flames begin - Lol.

As to the comment in the thread about the grave marker in 260.......I think you mis-read, it must have been fresh, further back was the 6.5 Rem Mag.......like so many Rem creations that were never supported, or poorly thought out like launching the round with a dismal Real world speed with factory ammo, and 9 twisted rifles........

Brad, I hear you on the K.I.S.S. Working my way towards 308......some day wink What bullet(s) do you prefer? Guessing 165s of sorts.

As the the 6cm.........its on the top of the radar list. To me, it is the better mousetrap, for a 6 bore. The BR will edge it out for all out accuracy, and better bore life........but if they expand the offerings by rifle makers, it has much potential IMHO. That's assuming they mirror the marketing of it's older brother, with quality, affordable ammo.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/24/22
It will never die it’s just too good
Proof is the 7x57 is still around.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/25/22
I had been using the 120 NBT over 49 Gr. BG with good results on WT's.

I got better, more consistent half inch groups with the SGK, 140 HPBT over 45 gr. BG. I also got quick kills on WT's. The Sierra may be a bit more expansive than the Nosler, but with good exits.

I don't see the SKG mentioned that much, just wanted to say it's a good one, worth trying.

Before BG, I used Varget which works well. I think BG is about the perfect 7-08 powder. I'm saving my Varget for others, have a big jug of BG.

Some run hotter loads; these are not "petal to the metal", maxed out loads but work very well.

59 gr. BG over 125 and 130 gr. bullets in the '06 is another very good load, also deadly on WT's. That one runs around 3,100 fps., whacks'em hard.

DF

Edited to add, I use mag primers with BG, mostly Fed 215's.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/26/22
45 of Varget was my go to load with 139/140s in partial sized brass, quite warm, safe IME and my rifles. That said a few grains less and a bit less speed would not change the outcome on an animal IMHO. I found the same charge of IMR4064 gave a tad better accuracy, than Varget...and Varget has given me some great results. No doubt, BG is a fave by many.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/26/22
"Looking now, I still want a short action deer round, and the 7mm-08 and 6.5 cred are on that short list. The 6.5 seems a little more recoil friendly and I just prefer that these days. Sure, the 7mm-08 isn't a slapping 30-06, but if I can get the job done with less recoil, then why not.

Are my assumptions off?"

I think they are. I haven't shot a Creedmore but I have shot the 7-08. A Remington Model Seven as I recall. A very pleasant rifle to shoot. It would be a surprise to me, but I doubt the difference in recoil between the two cartridges would be all that noticeable in two matching rifles, say a matched pair of Winchester Featherweights. I will say that after shooting that 7-08, I gave serious thought to buying a rifle chambered to that cartridge. However, common sense got the better of me. You see I have three rifles chambered to the 7x57 that have just the same level of recoil if I handload them using 7-08 data which is perfectly safe in modern rifles. If I use factory ammo, recoil is even less and probably on a par with the 6.5s so popular today. I can run a 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS using RL17 and as if I'm doing an elk hunt it's for a cow, works for me. I quit hunting for "horns" a long time ago and prefer a nice fat cow elk for the dinner table.

PJ
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/28/22
Shot so many deer with the 7mm-08 that I had to force my self to give the other rifles some time in the deer woods. 257r, 6.5 Swede, 250 sav., 280 rem. 308w, 30-06, 358w. 270w, and the last four years 260r. Yes I am an old fart. Guess what I plan on using in 2023? 7mm-08. Norma has 7mm-08 ammo at very good prices now at their Georgia site. Normashooting.com. They also have 150gr and 160gr loads.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/28/22
Joe, did you notice any difference between the 7-08 and 260 or Swede on deer? I think the 7-08 seems to drop them faster, but I've never lost a deer to the other two either.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/28/22
7-08 and 280 are my favorites. Both capable of shooting 120-160 grains. Youth load RL15 /120 BT are sure enough killers.
My Tikka is set up for 120BT, switch to 150 's for woods hunting without any dope adjustment.
Got another one set up strictly for 150's eldx on fields when I want DRT.
They're very versatile IMO.
Thinking about trying some 162's for fun.
It's definitely not dying.
I have four 3 Tikkas ,1 winchester M70 Shilen
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/28/22
I'm also a huge fan of the 7mm-08. My dad started using one in the '90s (in a Model 7), and I bought my first one in early '00 or '01...a Remington 700Ti (still have the rifle). Oddly enough, I don't use the 7mm-08 to hunt with much anymore....although I do have two rifles built in 7mm08 for long range shooting. One is a 22" medium heavy barrel built on a trued 700 action in an AICS stock, the other is a 26" heavy Bartlein built on a Defiance Tenacity action (also in an AICS).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
Speaking of Varget, at Cabelas in Gonzales today, I bought two pounds at a decent price. They had half dozen cans on the shelf, more powder than my last visit.

I bought the last primers in the store, a thousand CCI 450’s that I use in my .22 K-Hornet. But they were $89, about twice what I had been paying. But with primers, when you see them, you buy them. At least no Haz Mat charge.

I had enough points on my Cabelas card to cover it. So, not a bad trip, passing thru Baton Rouge on the way to Old Metairie, spending New Years with daughter, SIL and grands.

Happy New Year.

DF
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
A 1-8" 284 Bleedmire is my next build,though I have lotsa' 7-08's. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

MR contour at 21",short shanked,Outlander,TT Flatty,yada,yada,yada. Hint.............
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick

MR contour at 21",short shanked,Outlander,TT Flatty,yada,yada,yada. Hint.............
Sounds pretty good to me. I’ve got one on my radar, as well. What are you doing for a reamer?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
WTH! Stick has a good idea.
Jordan,

There are numerous ways to get there,with both dies and reamers. With a body reamer,you can make neck clearance what you like(no-turn Alpha and .002" clearance for me),as well as control freebore. Bushing dies,obviously play nicely with same. Hint.

It'll be a friendly way to whistle 180's,from trite OEM 700-esque mag confines or better yet,AICS binderless DBM's. Hint...............

Rickety,

I know you are glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,but you are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Jordan,

There are numerous ways to get there,with both dies and reamers. With a body reamer,you can make neck clearance what you like(no-turn Alpha and .002" clearance for me),as well as control freebore. Bushing dies,obviously play nicely with same. Hint.

It'll be a friendly way to whistle 180's,from trite OEM 700-esque mag confines or better yet,AICS binderless DBM's. Hint...............

Rickety,

I know you are glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,but you are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Ain't he bashful........

Rickety,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You be sure to keep your GoogleFu powered stolen pictures coming and simply pardon wares that exist. 'Bout the time of day,for me to start crackin' Mail open. Should be a new rifle enroute and more than a few scopes. Hint.

"Live" vicariously as you MUST,eagerly waiting in angst...despite it being your only "move". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Rickety,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You be sure to keep your GoogleFu powered stolen pictures coming and simply pardon wares that exist. 'Bout the time of day,for me to start crackin' Mail open. Should be a new rifle enroute and more than a few scopes. Hint.

"Live" vicariously as you MUST,eagerly waiting in angst...despite it being your only "move". Hint.

We all have boxes of crap laying around Stick, don't pat yourself on the azz over it.
Posted By: LSU fan Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
Speaking of Varget, at Cabelas in Gonzales today, I bought two pounds at a decent price. They had half dozen cans on the shelf, more powder than my last visit.

I bought the last primers in the store, a thousand CCI 450’s that I use in my .22 K-Hornet. But they were $89, about twice what I had been paying. But with primers, when you see them, you buy them. At least no Haz Mat charge.

I had enough points on my Cabelas card to cover it. So, not a bad trip, passing thru Baton Rouge on the way to Old Metairie, spending New Years with daughter, SIL and grands.

Happy New Year.

DF

You were down here in my neck of the woods. Supply has slowly been getting better there. Be safe down south!
Rickety,

It is funnier than fhuqk,that you "Magically" transform to a "we",because being you is such a bum ride...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No fhuqking "wonder" you are forced to "live" vicariously. Pardon wares that exist and these make it easy for others to savvy false shouldered positive headspace. Hint.

Google as you must. Hint.

In fairness,I've not bought an 8-pounder of VarGay since last pass and a brick of primers,since this morning. Only $500,all in,which I reckon to be a STEAL with regular gas at $5.40 a gallon. Hint.

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Happy New Year.

DF

You were down here in my neck of the woods. Supply has slowly been getting better there. Be safe down south!
Yeah on supplies getting better. With a half dozen cans of Varget, they had around 40-50 cans of various powders. No primers after I bought the last thousand CCI 450’s. I was complaining about $85, but see at Powder Valley, those same primers priced at $90 and not available.

So, anytime Cabelas undersells PV, that’s amazing. AND they had them right there on the shelf. So, as I left the store, they had no primers. But I left you guys some Varget.

DF
Poor Poor(literally),Rickety. Hint.

Posted By: Big Stick Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/31/22
My bad...got hung up loading/scoping a new rifle and turnin' some necks,for a stubborn lot of Lapooey. Hint.

Just sayin'. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
R&D never stops. Hint.

Expecting some reamers too...but alas. Hint.

Waiting on some glass too and especially the '16x LW Barkin' Arken...but alas. Hint.

MANY thanks again,for the Rotary Tool Survival Kit. Hint.

Fhuqking Laughing!.............
Posted By: Teeder Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/31/22
Stick, I think you have single-handedly cause the supply shortage! laugh
Posted By: OGB Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/31/22
Stick,

I see Sig brass, your thoughts?
Bought Sig brass initially as a R&D lark,simply to see WTF. Come to find out,it is amazingly consistent in headspace(under .002" deviation) for a bag of 50pcs,weight and length. My WAypoint and Gen1 Havak LOVE it,in Seex Kreed. Hint.

I go through lotsa components,so Xmas happens a coupla times a month,much to the chagrin of Crying Karen Windowlickers(Texans) the World over. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Roderunner Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 12/31/22

What is this 284 bleedmire exactly? Sorry if I missed it.
The 284 Bleedmire,is simply a 264 Kreedmire necked up. It has 7-08 case capacity(cartridge to it's left) and essentially stretches COAL,due the shorter case length. The 7-08 Aye-Eye to it's right,has more cubes...but I'm cool with letting the .796 BC do it's thang in OEM confines. It surely ain't gonna suck,in binderless AICS DBM's either. Hint.

Just got done flogging on the 2020 Seex Kreed and Montucky Six Twat-Six this morning,both with 112gr .620 BC's,but left camera in loading room. It'll give window Lickers a "chance". hint.

Posted By: Ernie_Scar Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 01/01/23
The 284 Bleedmire,is simply a 264 Kreedmire necked up. It has 7-08 case capacity(cartridge to it's left) and essentially stretches COAL,due the shorter case length. The 7-08 Aye-Eye to it's right,has more cubes...but I'm cool with letting the .796 BC do it's thang in OEM confines. It surely ain't gonna suck,in binderless AICS DBM's either. Hint.

Just got done flogging on the 2020 Seex Kreed and Montucky Six Twat-Six this morning,both with 112gr .620 BC's,but left camera in loading room. It'll give window Lickers a "chance". hint.

Hey Stick, what powder are you using with the Twat-Six and the 112 Match Burners? Got a 6-06AI I’d like to try them in.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 01/01/23
Said platform is a .236" bore 1-8" Brux,wearing .002" neck clearance,with the aforementioned Lapooey Virgins. Moly 112's at 3.315" Montucky COAL,with '250's and an elder batch of '22(Lot #95103X030310). Hint.

This batch of Lapooey wears .018" necks,which is a new one on me. I reduced sides .004",for a total of .008" and .271" loaded. Hint.

I shoot said 112's in 270,243 Grendel,6BR,Kreedmire,243Win,243Win Aye-Eye,6-284 and Twat-Six. They shine brightly,across the spectrum and kill schit deader than fhuqk. Hint...............
Posted By: Ernie_Scar Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 01/02/23
Said platform is a .236" bore 1-8" Brux,wearing .002" neck clearance,with the aforementioned Lapooey Virgins. Moly 112's at 3.315" Montucky COAL,with '250's and an elder batch of '22(Lot #95103X030310). Hint.

This batch of Lapooey wears .018" necks,which is a new one on me. I reduced sides .004",for a total of .008" and .271" loaded. Hint.

I shoot said 112's in 270,243 Grendel,6BR,Kreedmire,243Win,243Win Aye-Eye,6-284 and Twat-Six. They shine brightly,across the spectrum and kill schit deader than fhuqk. Hint...............
Thanks, much appreciated.
Posted By: Tommy_guns Re: Is the 7-08 dying? - 01/25/23
To the OP, no...I read a similar thread about the 7mag years ago. And it remains very popular , especially with newfound bullet technology
© 24hourcampfire