Home
Posted By: hardluck 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
What type of rifles do you guys have in this caliber? Post up what barrel lengths, ammo you shoot and what kind of accuracy you are getting.
Posted By: EdM Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
I currently own one, a custom pre-64 M70. It has a 21" barrel and my handload uses the 200 gr TSX over TAC powder. We took it to Africa in 2012 and shot a fair bit of game with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The one in the middle of the trio we took on the trip.

Posted By: hardluck Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Nice lookin rig!
Posted By: AKduck Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Boatpaddle Ruger m77 MKII. Rebored from a 243 and cut to 17”. Sub MOA with 200 grain hornadys.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23

I primarily shoot factory because I have a lifetime supply. The Ruger is currently zeroed with Hornady, the Browning with Silvertips.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Sako Forrester carbine re-bore from .243.
I think I've killed something like 6 elk total with the thing.
I run either Nosler 225 partitions or Sierra 225 spbt with a bunch of W748.

Posted By: hanco Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Two 99’s, both made in 56, both shoot less than inch with 180 Barnes. Hell on pigs

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hoster

Killed these one morning in about 3 hours, bastards kept coming out. Damnest day I’ve ever had hunting.

Posted By: Seabreeze1970 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Ruger Hawkeye 22” barrel. Hornady 200 gr spire points over 3031. Shot several deer and many hogs on the past twelve years.
Nice rifles. I’m going to send a rifle to JES to rebore but I haven’t decided on which one yet.
Dang hanco I don’t even take that many rounds with me. I would have been done at 4.
Originally Posted by hardluck
Dang hanco I don’t even take that many rounds with me. I would have been done at 4.

I had 12, could have used 3 or four more, one I hit ran into tall grass and brush, wasn’t going to look for him. I take 20 now. I had a hell of a time that day. It could have been several different bunches of pigs. Stand is in the background
Posted By: TwoCup Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
1980 vintage Browning BLR with a Burris 1.75-5X Fullfield (US). From Philadelphia Sales in Binghamton, NY for $279.00. Shoots 180gr Hornady SSP bullets with 50grs of IMR-4895 very well. Normally 1" to 1-1/2" for three at 100 yards. Trigger is also very nice. Formerly used 200gr Hornady Spire Pts. but found the 180's held together much better than expected, with complete penetration the norm on our small, Upstate NY whitetails.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Mine is a cheap TC compass that was sent to JES. It is a 20 inch barrel. The bullets from Fury custom bullets shot amazing. the 220 grain bullets were going over 2500 fps with Winchester 748 powder, accuracy 1 1/4-1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. But accuracy wise I had my best groups with Hornady 200 grain Spire point. 4 shots in .6 inches at 100 yards, again with 748 powder. I also tried the 200 grain FTX in another 358 Winchester, and shot 2 deer with them. I would not recommend them if you like exit holes and are shooting close range. I stopped using them after what I observed. However, they work fantastic in a 35 rem, so I assume if you backed down the velocity they would work fine. ( I was running them at 2600 fps)

This year I used cast bullets at 1900 fps to shoot a buck and a doe. It worked very well. Those groups were under 2 inches at 100 yards, plenty good enough for where I hunt!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Pre64 M70 FWT and 225 grain Sierra Game Kings with H4895. It will shoot an inch at 100 yards.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Mines a Browning BLR with an old Burris 2x7 on it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’ve used 200 grain Hornadys with IMR4198

225 Sierras and Nosler PTs with 52 grains of 748

And the Winchester 200 grain Silvertips in factory ammo. All of them have worked really well for me.
Posted By: MAC08 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Twocup, Both the Binghamton and Johnson City Philadelphia Sales stores had a decent selection also cheaper than Allen's and Dicks. We must have grown up in the same area.

MAC
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

I primarily shoot factory because I have a lifetime supply. The Ruger is currently zeroed with Hornady, the Browning with Silvertips.
The BLR is awesome.

My big plans for a .358 were foiled when JES couldn't rebore a Rem 600 from .243... didn't think the taps for the rail gave enough clearance to be safe toward the muzzle. One of these days I'll get back to it.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Stainless M7, stainless 21" Douglas #3, Mt Rifle Edge fill stock. Eventually had the barreled action cerakoted sniper grey and stock inlet for Badger M5, a few other odds/ends done to it. It was one of the first custom's I had done. After I had it done I picked up some of the Winchester 200 grain factory ammo and it shot nice cloverleafs...I mean every shot touching. I only shoot it to check zero, to set zero after a scope/base swap, or to kill something. Eventually ran out of the factory ammo and put a few grains less than max of TAC in brass and put a Hornady 200 spire point on top of it. Zero'd it at 100 and killed stuff. I have no idea the speed or true accuracy of that load...it kills stuff well. I haven't carried it in a number of years. I need to either use it or sell it...but it's got a lot of good memories.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Hardluck, I have a rebarreled Model 70 at 22 inches:

Typical group for 200 grain jacketed bullets, Red= Sierra; Black=Hornady:

Typical group for 225 grain cast bullet:

Posted By: nyrifleman Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Kimber 84M Montana rebarreled using SAS Lilja Dupe.

Sub MOA with 225 Partitions and TAC.
Posted By: haazrob Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Model 88 Winchester and Ruger RS carbine. 1-1.5 moa.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
I was using various 22" Ruger 77Rs for many years. They were inch to inch & a half rifles @100 yds. with about anything that went thru them. Some handloads did better. I had a pushfeed SA M70 rebarrelled with a 21" Shilen select about 30 years ago. It's still with me. It shot about an inch with factory WW white box 200gr Silvertips when it was brand new. With handloads it will quite often shoot 3/4" @ 100 yds. This for 4 shot groups with a 1.5-5x scope & my marginal eyes.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Well I have to show mine off, its latest iteration was arrived upon just a couple weeks ago. In time to take it in the woods a couple times but I wasn't able to blood it yet. Hopefully next season.

16.5", Kimber 84M JES Rebore, weighs about 5 lbs with a full magazine and sling. I shortened the stock about 3" or so and re-molded a new tip using JB Plastic Weld. Shoots Buffalo Bore Barnes loads at a little under an inch at 50 which is all I need.

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Ruger Hawkeye Stainless 22" topped with a Leupold 1.75-6x32 shooting 200gr Hornady SP over H4895 at 2550fps or 220 Speer over 3031 at 2450fps. Either load is right around 1" at 100yds.
Posted By: miguel Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Another Ruger 77RS carbine here. This is the second one I have owned, I foolishly sold the first here. Great little rifle with that Leupold 1.75-6 on it. I have always heard these were quite rare, but I know of 3 others in this area, and there always seems to be 2 or 3 for sale on Gunbroker at any given time. I’m thinking they aren’t as rare as some would make them out to be.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
The Savage 99EG from 1957 wears a Leupold M8 6X and shoots 200 grain factory silvertip ammo nicely.

The Ruger American Predator from Grice wears a Leupold 1.5-4 Pig Plex and likes Hornady factory ammo.

Both are fun to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: old_willys Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Had 3 BLR's over the years in 358 win and one Montana 308 rebored by JES with a shorten barrel, really wish I had kept the Montana it would be perfect for hunting my small food plots...
Originally Posted by diamondjim
The Savage 99EG from 1957 wears a Leupold M8 6X and shoots 200 grain factory silvertip ammo nicely.

The Ruger American Predator from Grice wears a Leupold 1.5-4 Pig Plex and likes Hornady factory ammo.

Both are fun to shoot.

Fine looking 99, a DL on GunBroker now

Posted By: LEADMINER Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Hopefully, this is not straying off topic but for those re-boring to get a 358, how do you find the balance? Particularly a Montana or 70 fwt. Removing steel and possibly shortening the barrel would shift the balance but to what extent? Wondering about this before taking the plunge.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
Blr with the 250g speer. Although I'm working on some cast and powder coated bullets as soon as it warms up enough to sit in the garage with the windows open and cast.

Bb
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: 358 Winchester - 02/16/23
I have a rebarreled Win. Mod. 88 with a 22" barrel that I shoot 225g Nosler partitions and 225g Sierras out of. I just had a pre64 Win. mod 70 FWT rebarreled to it that I plan to shoot 250g bullets out of and maybe 200g TSX and NAB. Just had shoulder surgery so won't know how it does until June (maybe). Both done by Dennis Erhardt in Helena. The 88 is a sweet shooter.
Posted By: hardluck Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Sharp rifles and good info.
Posted By: Dinny Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I had JES rebore a M70 Extreme Weather. 2 years ago I killed a black bear at 265yds with a head shot. Load was 53gr of TAC and a Barnes 180gr TTSX for 2669fps.

Posted By: aboltfan Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I bought a Ruger predator.358 off the classifieds a couple of months ago. I didn't have a lot of time to load for it. Using reformed brass and a load picked out of the manual, I was able to get this group from it. More work to do, but it wants to shoot.

I bought a Ruger 358 Winchester and sold it to a member on here because I’m going to have one rebored by JES. When I get it back looks like it’s gonna be my 300 yard and under gun. I’m excited to try this caliber out!
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Quote""I had JES rebore a M70 Extreme Weather. 2 years ago I killed a black bear at 265yds with a head shot.""

A lotta folks think the 358 Win is a short range "brush gun" - and at that it excels. But it's also capable out to ranges quite a bit further. My longest shot with the Sako was on a cow elk at a bit over 250 yards. I gave her a high shoulder hold and popped her with a 225gr Sierra. She didn't make it 20 feet after the hit.
Anybody ever had a Remington 788 308 rebored to a 358. I see a lot of those lately. I hear they are good shooters.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I have a BLR light weight. Topped with a Redfiekd 2-7×33. Had a bunch of trouble with light primer strikes and not firing so currently at the gunsmith.
Limited range time has me leaning towards Speer 180 jfp and Re7. Loads were running at 1 1/2" at 100 with the gritty trigger pull. Having that addressed along with the primer strike issue.
Really like the balance.
Once I get it back I want to try loads with the Hirnady 200 spitzer.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Had a Ruger 77 in .358 for a fair spell. Loaded with Horny’s 250 gr, it shot sub MOA consistently and nothing shot with it took a second step. Great combo it was, albeit somewhat boring.
Posted By: Rolly Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
My 358 is in a Remington M-7 rebarreled from a 243 to 358 win using a Douglas barrel. I use 225 Nosler partitions for ja jacketed bullets and cast bullets of about the same weight. I have killed one cow elk with the Nosler and one for whitetail doe with the cast bullets. Both were effective and deadly with a single shot each. Oh yea, I also shot. A nice 4x4 whitetail with the Nosler 225part.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
All Savage 99's here and currently using 180 Barnes as well. Tough bullet and kills bears perfectly dead.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Mine is a stainless Model 7 with a 20” Pac Nor Sporter profile barrel. B&C Alaskan stock, Swaro 3-10x42 in Talleys. It’s my main blacktail gun, well over a dozen to its credit. I’ve killed bucks with the 200 gn Hornady SP, the 225 Partition, and now I’m running 200-gn Accubonds.

I also had a BLR for a minute and did whack a doe with it using a factory Silvertip.

If you reload, Reloder 7 is the shizzle with 200’s and lighter. I get an easy safe 2650 fps with eternal brass life.

One of the all-time great hunting cartridges IMHO.

Posted By: Sako76 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I also have a Ruger Tanger RS Carbine I traded a friend on this site for. It shoots the former owners handholds in a tiny cloverleaf (200 grain Hornady's), the factory Hornady's about 1.5". Handles great and I heard there were only 500 made, not sure if that is true or not.

My father had an FFL and he handed me a Browning Lever 358 NIB he had and I handed it back to him telling thanks but I probably wouldn't use it and that he should sell it and he did! Still kicking myself for that one.
I know the Rugers with the tang safety carbines are going for big money. So must have been only 500 made.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I had a 358 BLR, I sold it. Now I have a re-barreled 700 in 358.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I have a Ruger 77 RSI in 358 WIN, maybe one of those that WBR, Sr. had made up from his buddies at the Blue Mountain Forest Association or maybe one that didn't get restocked as a 77 RLS and slipped out of the factory.

I've owned a Browning BLR, a couple of rebarreled or rebored Remingtons, Ruger 77s, rebarreled Savages, and Winchester 88s. I never formed an attachment to the cartridge and once I got a 338 FED, I moved on from the 358 WIN. In THE RIFLE BOOK, JOC spoke well of the concept of the 358 WIN, but I don't recall him claiming to have owned or hunted with one.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I had a 336 converted by Nonneman. Sweet, but I am an admitted recoil wussy. Bad neck ruined me for anything nearing a hard kicker. Black powder, with it's shove, rather than kick, is fine though.
It was a fine rifle.
My loss.
I didn't know about 375 / 38-55 at the time. I would find a stainless and rebore for that with bp loads.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
"I have a Ruger 77 RSI in 358 WIN, maybe one of those that WBR, Sr. had made up from his buddies at the Blue Mountain Forest Association or maybe one that didn't get restocked as a 77 RLS and slipped out of the factory."

I like the RSI and I always wanted one in .358. Years back, 1981 IIRC, I was at the NRA convention in Phoenix AZ. I was talking to the Ruger rep when I mention the fact I would very much like to see the RSI in .358 Win. He blew his stack swearing and yelling no way, never happen and my wife was standing next to me the whole time. Pitiful representation of the company.
I have three M77 RSI rifles, all in .308 Win. I also have two M77Rs in .358. One of the RSIs has stock that is noticeably thicker than the others and I'm thinking I might get one of the .358s to fit. Just might be an interesting project.
PJ
Posted By: DryPowder Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I've got a 358 barrel from X Caliber to put on my Tikka. I wish I would have sent the rifle to WTO and make it a switch barrel instead.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
When Iowa changed their firearms reg’s for deer in the spring of ‘22’ it gave me the opportunity to obtain both a rifle and cartridge I had never experienced before. The rifle is obviously a Sav 99-358 and in very good condition.
The target is representative of many 3-shot p, 100 yd groups with Win white box 200-grainers. A ad hoc hand load thrown together with AA 2460 (not a powder for the 358, being too slow) and 180-gr TSXs grouped similarly with almost no recoil. I’ll chrono- it next time out, but seemed about 350 L /35 Rem power level.

Posted By: hillbillyjake Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23

Both are fun to shoot.

Have you ever had any feeding issues with the AICS mags in your 358? I have an 18” Predator that uses the AICS style mags that I’m considering having a rebore done on. I assume they are comparable to the parent 308? Thanks.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Moving to AICS bm/mags was a great improvement in feeding for my M7.

Updated pics of the current config:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

Both are fun to shoot.

Have you ever had any feeding issues with the AICS mags in your 358? I have an 18” Predator that uses the AICS style mags that I’m considering having a rebore done on. I assume they are comparable to the parent 308? Thanks.

Fed fine before conversion. Just put the camo stock set up on a few days ago. Haven't had time to check feeding issues.
May try tonight. Will let you know.

Parent case for 358 is 308
Posted By: szihn Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I have made several over the years for various customers and all have had high praise of the cartridge. So I broke down and made myself one.

It's simply an upper for my AR10 and I am pleased with it.

The bullet I want to use is the 225 Nosler Partition but could not find any.

The one I have found and used that has so far been the most accurate was a bit of a surprise. It's the 220 grain flat point Speer. I used that bullet years ago from a 35 Remington and so I tried them in my 358 Win. Sub-Moa on my first load. Now I just have to kill some things with that rifle to see how it works at the higher impact velocities.
Posted By: hillbillyjake Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23

Both are fun to shoot.

Fed fine before conversion. Just put the camo stock set up on a few days ago. Haven't had time to check feeding issues.

I was assuming that there wouldn’t be any. I’ve never had issues with it feeding in its current 308 form. I was just looking for some first hand experience in regards to the AICS mags and the 358.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
It amazes me how many "custom" .358 bolt guns there are on this forum. The manufacturers should take a hint.
Posted By: mathman Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
It amazes me how many "custom" .358 bolt guns there are on this forum. The manufacturers should take a hint.

"We" are not representative of the larger market.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23

Have they ever ? Powder companies in particular, they drop powders without warning that have been staples for many reloaders for years and won't bring them back no matter how many complaints and requests to do so that they receive. I missed the .250 Savage carbines Ruger made because every one that came to my area sold the day it was put in the rack and so far there have been no more. I did get one of the 6.5 x55 carbines.

My .358 is a steel BLR 81 . I shoot the Speer 180 with 43 grains of H 4198 @ 2711 fps. That's really too fast and the bullet breaks up like a fat varmint bullet but it kills the Whitetails around here like lightning. It also usually shoots under an inch @ 100 yards at that speed , I should slow it down but it shoots so good at that speed that I can't make myself do it. It also shoots the 200g and 250g stuff very well also but not nearly as good as the 180 Speer.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
If anyone wants some of those 180 Speer's, they are in stock at Midway.

Speer 180 Bullets at Midway
Posted By: tmitch Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I have a couple, Savage 99a and a JES rebored Model 70. Shot a pile of deer with the Savage and one little 8pt with the M70 last season. Had a steel BLR for a bit but sold it off in favor of the 99.

Posted By: M1Garand Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Quote""I had JES rebore a M70 Extreme Weather. 2 years ago I killed a black bear at 265yds with a head shot.""

A lotta folks think the 358 Win is a short range "brush gun" - and at that it excels. But it's also capable out to ranges quite a bit further. My longest shot with the Sako was on a cow elk at a bit over 250 yards. I gave her a high shoulder hold and popped her with a 225gr Sierra. She didn't make it 20 feet after the hit.

Yep not a short range cartridge by any means. Mine's a BLR and last deer I shot was around 200 yards and quartering away. Thought I'd maybe catch the bullet, a 200 Hornady SP, but it took out the opposite shoulder on the way out.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I think JES is funding his retirement off this forum alone. I had talked myself out of a 358 (again) and along comes this thread (again).

Does anyone have a 760/7600 bored by JES?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by mathman

"We" are not representative of the larger market.

Truer words have seldom been written on this site.
Posted By: weagle Re: 358 Winchester - 02/17/23
I have 2. Both are Jess re-bores. a Sako L57 with a 20" barrel and Savage with a 16 1/4" barrel. I shoot handloads in both. The Sako gets 200gr Silvertips, Hornadys or Rem psp over max load of Tac and the Savage gets 180 Barnes TSX loaded down to fast 35 Rem velocities with H 4895.

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23

Both are fun to shoot.

I’d be surprised if it no longer fed well; .358 has a minimal shoulder to hang up on. I suppose a guy might find a bullet ogive that messed with feeding... I played around a bunch with 140 and 157 (?) grain hollowpoint pistol bullets (again with the Reloder 7) and I dimly recall those short very blunt bullets might not have fed particularly well.

When I’ve gone the opposite direction with a cartridge shoulder- like from .223 to .223AI - is where I’ve seen feeding issues.

AICS mags do tend to cure all. smile
Posted By: hardluck Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
I’m gonna get one done when I find me one! A 760/7600 that is.
Anybody know anyone that works on Savage 99 triggers. Mine is stout! I would like to lighten it up some.
Originally Posted by tmitch
I have a couple, Savage 99a and a JES rebored Model 70. Shot a pile of deer with the Savage and one little 8pt with the M70 last season. Had a steel BLR for a bit but sold it off in favor of the 99.

That Model 70 looks like a handy little killer! Sweet rifle.
Posted By: foureyes4 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
I have an early steel BLR that shoots great. I used Win 250 silver tips @2250 fps until I ran out. Now I use Speer 250's. They all shoot 1" to 1 1/8" groups. I've also owned a re-barreled sa REM 700 and a newer lightweight BLR both of which shot fine. I've sold both since then but I will never get rid of my early BLR. They can bury with it!
Posted By: Seabreeze1970 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
I passed on a 760 this summer in 308. It looked brand new and would have been perfect for a JES project. That’s all I could think about doing to it when I was looking at it. I came real close to getting it bi had my son go by a couples times to check on it since it was in the town he lives in.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
My .358 Win is a Howa 1500 JES rebored from .243 that I bought off of a member here last fall. I load Barnes 180 grain TTSX with 44 grains of Reloder 7 under them. Shot 3/4” instantly, and I said good enough! I carried about 4 or 5 days hunting deer, but saw no worthy targets for terminal testing.

Posted By: gunswizard Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
I get phenominal accuracy with Hornady 200gr. RN and IMR 3031 and Sierra Game King 225gr. with IMR 4064. I've taken many whitetails with these loads.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Ruger 77 RS & Tikka CTR (JES re-bore)...

200gr TSX & 200gr CoreLokt RNSP (Ruger) / 180gr TTSX (Tikka)
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
My 358 is another JES rebore . Started out as a 243 sps . He bored it and chopped the barrel to 18.5 inches. I added iron sights and duracoated the action, bolt and barrel flat black. Sits in a Bergara synthetic stock. I like to shoot heavy bullets in it, 220 grain flat nose speers and 250 gr sierras. It is a close range thumper for deer and bear so I load it as such. It will shoot right around MOA with those loads. If I need to shoot longer ranges I have other guns for that.

Posted By: hanco Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
It seems a lot of people like the 358!! It bowls over pigs like train hitting a pickup truck
Posted By: miguel Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
Ruger 77 RS & Tikka CTR (JES re-bore)...

200gr TSX & 200gr CoreLokt RNSP (Ruger) / 180gr TTSX (Tikka)
I really like that Ruger RS with the ebony foreend tip. Was that a factory offering or a custom? The red pad looks factory.
Posted By: hillbillyjake Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Both are fun to shoot.

I’d be surprised if it no longer fed well; .358 has a minimal shoulder to hang up on. I suppose a guy might find a bullet ogive that messed with feeding... I played around a bunch with 140 and 157 (?) grain hollowpoint pistol bullets (again with the Reloder 7) and I dimly recall those short very blunt bullets might not have fed particularly well.

When I’ve gone the opposite direction with a cartridge shoulder- like from .223 to .223AI - is where I’ve seen feeding issues.

AICS mags do tend to cure all. smile

These are my thoughts as well. Thanks.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
For the past 40 years I've always had a 358 Win , first a Savage 99F and then 99A and a custom Mauser, shot factory Winchester 200 gr Silver Tips...near perfect setup for the South Carolina swamps that we hunted.
Posted By: tmitch Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by DryPowder
If anyone wants some of those 180 Speer's, they are in stock at Midway.

Speer 180 Bullets at Midway

They also have the Hornady .357" 250gr Sub-X on sale. Thinking those would be a great deer buster at moderate velocity.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by miguel
I really like that Ruger RS with the ebony foreend tip. Was that a factory offering or a custom? The red pad looks factory.

From what I understand, Bill Ruger wanted to do a run of 358Win RSI’s. After the barrels were thrown onto the actions, the assembly folks realized they were the wrong length to fit into the RSI stocks. When they let Bill know of the error, he told the production crew to throw them into ultralight stocks and get them out of the factory. Back then, some ultralight models had ebony forends and others were all wood. I just got lucky that this one was thrown into one of the Ebony forend stocks.

As a sidenote, now that I have a but of time in the woods with mine and it shows a little use. it doesn’t appear these Ebony forends are actually ebony, but rather just a blackened out tip. Still like it over the plain wood though.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by hardluck
Anybody know anyone that works on Savage 99 triggers. Mine is stout! I would like to lighten it up some.

Try Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works in Arapahoe Nebraska. He worked some magic on my 99c 358 Win
Posted By: CP Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
[Linked Image]
Stainless Ruger Mark ll wearing a .358 Win 22” Shilen barrel that has 1 in 14 twist.
Posted By: melglass Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Well I have to show mine off, its latest iteration was arrived upon just a couple weeks ago. In time to take it in the woods a couple times but I wasn't able to blood it yet. Hopefully next season.

16.5", Kimber 84M JES Rebore, weighs about 5 lbs with a full magazine and sling. I shortened the stock about 3" or so and re-molded a new tip using JB Plastic Weld. Shoots Buffalo Bore Barnes loads at a little under an inch at 50 which is all I need.

Love this setup. Every time I see it I want to grab a Hunter and do one myself
Posted By: Brad Re: 358 Winchester - 02/18/23
Some nice rifles on this thread!

From waaay back, my Ruger 77 RS .358 carbine:

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 02/19/23
Well if we’re hitting the wayback machine <g>...

This is what deer lungs look like after a 225 Partition, 40 yards or so. I killed two identical 3x3’s on consecutive years at the same spot both broadside and both sets of lungs looked like this. It’s one reason I switched to the 200 Accubond; I just wanted a bit more “mess”.

This one also fell to the 225 NP. That’s the same rifle, different (original) stock, a numbered barrel profile from Pac Nor (oops, it was my first custom), different scope...

same buck:

And this is a recovered 225 NP; the deer (I thought it was a doe) was quartering away and the bullet skidded down the length of his spine. This one almost won me the dink-a-thon.

Posted By: pavementends Re: 358 Winchester - 02/19/23
ChrisAU,
Who did the barrel on your Kimber, contour?
Pavementends
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: 358 Winchester - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by pavementends
ChrisAU,
Who did the barrel on your Kimber, contour?
Pavementends

It is the factory Kimber 243 Win barrel, rebored to 358 by JES and then fluted by Karl Kampfeld.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 358 Winchester - 02/19/23
one of the guys here on the fire has a Browning Xbolt in 358 WIN a limited run from a few years ago.
Posted By: Judman Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Oh how I love a 358 with 225 sgk’s.
Got (3) of em, they suck!!😘

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]take a screenshot

My second, a 88 resnouted by the late/great Larry Brace.
358’s ain’t for everyone, especially the the flatbill Sitka turret turning cuunts. 👊🏻
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by Judman

Looks a lot like my Whelen spittin the same 225’s

I’m a whelen fan jack👊🏻

Most recent, first custom over 30 years ago was a 1917 built by Carl Lindholm outta oakville. Straight fuucking hammer.👊🏻😎
Posted By: Higginez Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23

Kinda funny calling out flatbillers when you have a rifle dipped in Sitka camo....

LOL
Oh fuuck, here we go, again.

I appreciate you trying to get your jabs in when you can, that’s not Sitka camo sweetie, it’s kuiu. Your welcome.

PS, I didn’t threaten to “kick your ass” last time you got lippy, I simply told you, after “you” said your daughter was looking at greys harbor cc , when you pass by, you wanna get lippy, simply swing by. Dig the whine/lie on araig though. 👊🏻

👊🏻 that’s a emoji btw😘
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
What an emotional blowhard. Go join some women on a shopping spree. LMAO
Keep following me around baby girl, I’ll give your emotions back, with the rest of the resident do nothing jealous cuunts!! Haha 😘
Oh fuuck, here we go, again.

I appreciate you trying to get your jabs in when you can, that’s not Sitka camo sweetie, it’s kuiu. Your welcome.

PS, I didn’t threaten to “kick your ass” last time you got lippy, I simply told you, after “you” said your daughter was looking at greys harbor cc , when you pass by, you wanna get lippy, simply swing by. Dig the whine/lie on araig though. 👊🏻

👊🏻 that’s a emoji btw😘

You're right. Kuiu.

Hard to keep up with the flatbiller camo craze.
Hey Jud,

Had I a clue what a dumbfugg you were, I certainly would not have asked any questions about your locale.

My bad.
Took a little over 6 minutes for that comeback, it’s good hig. It’s funny, I don’t fuuck with you, but boy, you gotta try to get your digs in when you can. I’m good, but obviously you’re not. Move along, this place means a lot to you, quite obvious. Later👊🏻

PS, 358 is a giant killer👍
Took a little over 6 minutes for that comeback, it’s good hig. It’s funny, I don’t fuuck with you, but boy, you gotta try to get your digs in when you can. I’m good, but obviously you’re not. Move along, this place means a lot to you, quite obvious. Later👊🏻

I got an idea Jud.

Quit being such a douche.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?
Originally Posted by Higginez

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?
Jud,

That’s gotta hurt , pard
Sooooo, you’re admitting to being a lying fuuck?? I knew it, cause I texted it. Good god what a buncha fuuckin cuunts. You and your little trifecta of jealous lying texting bitches. Get a life other than this place you worthless cuunt. Fuuck

PS, I wouldn’t be a douche if it wasn’t for lying wannabe fuuckin bitches like you and your crew.

No, I’m not gonna beat you up, don’t go lying on araig cuando!!! Haha
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?
Jud,

That’s gotta hurt , pard

Why the 3 and point Alwaysbitingpillows??? 😂

I’m not your fuucking bro, and I sure as hell ain’t your fuucking pard, sweetheart
Sooooo, you’re admitting to being a lying fuuck?? I knew it, cause I texted it. Good god what a buncha fuuckin cuunts. You and your little trifecta of jealous lying texting bitches. Get a life other than this place you worthless cuunt. Fuuck

PS, I wouldn’t be a douche if it wasn’t for lying wannabe fuuckin bitches like you and your crew.

Douche gonna douche....

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?

The lying biitch, look at your posts, you obviously ain’t happy in your life, or got much goin on. Just sayin.😂

Ummm who’s the best singer??

Ummm who has stitches?

Ummm who’s the best drummer?

Listen to yourself before you start talkin shiit you dumb miserable bitch. Fuuck

Douche gonna douche....

Bitch gonna be a bitch… ummmm mom, why is dad on the www non stop being a bitch?? 😂😂😂

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?

The lying biitch, look at your posts, you obviously ain’t happy in your life, or got much goin on. Just sayin.😂

Ummm who has stitches?

Listen to yourself before you start talkin shiit you dumb miserable bitch. Fuuck

LOL

Who's miserable?

Stalking Larry and all.....

This schidt aint hard.
Got anything to add about a 358? Or you gonna nip my heals and wave Pom poms??

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?

Ummm who has stitches?

LOL

Who's miserable?

This schidt aint hard.

Rent free. Mom why is our dad a bitch??😂

Oh fugg.

Jud gonna talk rifles now?

LOL

Oughta be good.
The whinning bitch, you ever killed anything with a 358? Fuuck no you pile of goo!! 😆

I got an idea Jud.

Not hard for most.

Try it sometime?

Ummm who has stitches?

LOL

Who's miserable?

This schidt aint hard.

Rent free. Mom why is our dad a bitch??😂

Judbitch can't hang with the troof!

LOL

Keep googling.....
You vaxxed Jud?

LOL

Oh fugg.

LOL

Oughta be good.

Oh, the dasher king, gonna talk killin..

This oughtta be really fuucking great!!! Haha

Don’t forget your guitar and drums princess LOL
Jud,

Buy an AR and post in that sub forum. LMAO
You gonna whine and bitch again to Sandbilly? Lol

Oh fugg.

LOL

Oughta be good.

Oh, the dasher king, gonna talk killin..

This oughtta be really fuucking great!!! Haha

Don’t forget your guitar and drums princess LOL

LOL

Jud be stalking.
Done some killing on this end Jud.

Never bragged about it.

Still won't.

YMMV.
No stalking, no threatening to beat you up, like you lied about. There’s guys that do, and guys that wanna. You wanna.I’ve always done, as you’ve seen. Keep living the miserable California life, sittin on the couch and lookin at pics, wishing.
Done some killing on this end Jud.

Never bragged about it.

Still won't.

YMMV.

You really haven’t, as you’ve hung you (3) pics already! Lol
California is a douche cop out.

Always has been.
Sucks to be you, the world is your oyster, but you’d just soon Google and bitch.

How’s your 358 experience? Oh, you’re fresh out, I forgot!! Lol

Just remember, it’s the do nothing city slickers such as yourself, that turn normal good guys into [bleep]. Hint
Jud,

Turrets is hard.

And Larry knows it......

Next time you say "hint" gonna be funnay!
Hint.....
358/turrets, peas/carrots. Lol

You suck a mean Larry ass, like most do nothing wannabes. Hint lol
"You suck a mean ass"

It's really surprising how influential Big Stick is.

Hint.....
Are you playing your guitar? Haha

Who’s the best guitar player sweetie?

Who’s the best trumpet player??

Who’s the best flute player?? Haha

Poor miserable fuuck you are. Lol

Jud, you are the most amazing skin flute player the 24HCF has ever seen.

Congratulations?
When it comes to the mouth organ, you really get after it Jud....
Notice how this all started by you stalking me? Go back and look. I’ll give your emotions back when I’m ready, along with your used boots you tried to peddle!! Haha 😘
Oh know the difference between kuiu and Sitka you stupid fuuck!!! Google is your friend!!! Lol

Congratulations?

And we go to the beaver/Kingston cock talk. Congratulations you fuuckin phaags

Congratulations?

And we go to the beaver/Kingston cock talk. Congratulations you fuuckin phaags

You're the one on the cack. I'm just pointing it out.

Sorry I had the flatbiller camo wrong on your homo rifle.....

Congratulations?

Boy you are a dense one. Go pay attention to you family, time well spent
Judro Tull on the skin flute

Kinda has a ring to it.....
I think it’s safe to say I’ve beat more bucks and bulls to death with a leupold scope than you’ve shot, just sayin. Oh, hint lol

Now go, last word princess haha
So, who was sending stocks to Texas?

#notstalking
I think it’s safe to say I’ve beat more bucks and bulls to death with a leupold scope than you’ve shot, just sayin. Oh, hint lol

And how many coues?

LOL
Judro Tull on the skin flute

Kinda has a ring to it.....

That cock talk sure is irresistible to a Cali boy. You sure got lots goin on!!! Btw, I’ll be offline the next few days, as I got a life. You didn’t whine me away, don’t worry lol

And how many coues?

LOL

Just 1, shot it 15 times outta 40, it’s on the wall, that’s what counts!!👊🏻 lol
Chasin chrome?

LMFAO!
Maybe it was 25, I can’t remember. Don’t you got stitches and music posts to tend too?

Oh it’s, “rollin chrome” not chasing dummy lol
Like I said.

Stalker.

Doesn't even see it though
Chrome? Like this? Can’t get this stalking/bitching on the www.. hint

lol
Hint?

You got any pics of your crushes house?

JFC
Trust me, your daddy catches copious amounts of chrome annually.. nothin to it.

Hey Jud, if I'm nice to you, maybe you take me hunting?

No homo.

Light sabers?

Again, no homo.

Pard.
Oooops, hint!!😘

Gonna run around the www lying anymore you cuunt? Eeeeee, Jud threaten to beat me up”dontcha know”. Remember that? What a lying fuucking gash!! Lol
It’s the other way around, if I were nice to you. I don’t run with bitches, cuunts, liars, shiit talkers or clams.. looks like you’re out!! Hint

Hint
Hint

Hint

Lol
Jud, you aint got schidt on me other than the boots.

Talk about a gash!
Gash, you’re out!! lol

Certifiable, he’s in.👊🏻

Take notes. No wonder why you have nothing but daughters, you’re a bitch. Lol
Keep drinking, you’re gettin tougher and braver!!! Lol
Spoken like a champ.
Any 358 info or you gonna stalk me and bitch about camo pattern you know nothing about, cause you sit by a fire, eat, play banjo and wish and dream!! Lol
Gash, you’re out!! lol

Certifiable, he’s in.👊🏻

Take notes. No wonder why you have nothing but daughters, you’re a bitch. Lol

For posterity.

Stalker.
Go to bed you sawed off crybaby. I’ll have fresh pics tomorrow for ya. Lol
#killarpoacher
Posted By: MarknMaggie Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Can you two chill and stop ruining this post? Please stop or take it someplace else...
I have two : a Hawkeye SS and a RAR Predator from Grice's. The RAR is more accurate, 3/4" three shot at 100yd with 180 TTSX and H4198.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Another good thread ruined.
Posted By: irfubar Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Judman is doing his best Big Stick imitation....

#threadkilla
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by Brad

Great picture!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Here’s something that’s kinda fun to look at. 200-gn Accubond on the right, .357 hollowpoint pistol bullet on the left! One of the fun aspects of .358. Pistol bullets driven that fast make things asplode. smile Not to belabor the point, but RL7 is the magic stuff for up to 200-grain bullets.

Posted By: Teeder Re: 358 Winchester - 02/20/23
Mine is a stainless Model 7 with a 20” Pac Nor Sporter profile barrel. B&C Alaskan stock, Swaro 3-10x42 in Talleys. It’s my main blacktail gun, well over a dozen to its credit. I’ve killed bucks with the 200 gn Hornady SP, the 225 Partition, and now I’m running 200-gn Accubonds.

I also had a BLR for a minute and did whack a doe with it using a factory Silvertip.

If you reload, Reloder 7 is the shizzle with 200’s and lighter. I get an easy safe 2650 fps with eternal brass life.

One of the all-time great hunting cartridges IMHO.

I like this one!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Originally Posted by beretzs

Great picture!

What length barrels were on those? 16”? That’s a handy dandy package right there. Reminds me of the Mauser m12 trail.
Posted By: Brad Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What length barrels were on those? 16”? That’s a handy dandy package right there. Reminds me of the Mauser m12 trail.

19" bbl. - was a run of 500 (I think for Lipsey's) back in the 1980's. Was a ridiculously accurate rifle with the 200 gr. Hdy's I ran in it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
I’d bet a 20” myself but I’m sure Brad will straighten me out.

That’s a dandy looking rifle though.

I knew he’d beat me grin

I knew he’d beat me grin

laugh
Posted By: beretzs Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23

I knew he’d beat me grin

laugh

Was that a Montana buck Brad?
That was in Missouri. I lived there for a while in the 80's after I moved there for college.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
When I was stationed in FT Hood, TX in the early 90s, I bought a Ruger 77RS carbine in 358 WIN NIB for $450 if I remember correctly. I used it for deer that fall and I later sold it to a small gun shop in PENN. Now that I see the prices on GB for this rifle, I often catch myself staring into the horizon wondering how many deer and black bear its current owner has taken
Posted By: Benbo Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
I’ve got an old 99. I can’t remember what kind of groups it shot. Only ammo Or brass I could find when I first got it was 200sp and RN hornady factory loads. Both killed deer very neatly. I did try to load some 200FTX for it but the rifle wouldn’t cycle them…. Might be good that it didn’t cycle them from what others said about their experience with that bullet at 358 velocities. But the sure worked well this year out of my 336 in 35.
Posted By: hardluck Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Great picture!

18.5” barrel on those.
Posted By: Georgia_boy Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Love all my 35s…35 Rem thru 35 Whelen, but my favorites are my 358s, stainless BLR, Winchester M70 stainless featherweight with a Douglas barrel and a Ruger stainless wrapped in a Boyd’s stock!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Does anyone else find the “report” to be about as good as it gets from a high-powered rifle? Lots more “boom” than “crack”. My ears really notice the difference. Talking hunting here, obviously I have puffs & muffs when target shooting.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 358 Winchester - 02/21/23
Yes. It's a noticeable difference to my ears. The .35 Rem even more so.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 358 Winchester - 02/22/23
Originally Posted by irfubar
Judman is doing his best Big Stick imitation....

#threadkilla
Exactly my thought. 3 full pages of dick measuring in one thread.
Posted By: haazrob Re: 358 Winchester - 02/22/23
Originally Posted by Jericho
When I was stationed in FT Hood, TX in the early 90s, I bought a Ruger 77RS carbine in 358 WIN NIB for $450 if I remember correctly. I used it for deer that fall and I later sold it to a small gun shop in PENN. Now that I see the prices on GB for this rifle, I often catch myself staring into the horizon wondering how many deer and black bear its current owner has taken

Where in Pa was this shop?
Posted By: Jericho Re: 358 Winchester - 02/22/23
Butler, PENN
Posted By: haazrob Re: 358 Winchester - 02/22/23
Okay. I’m in central Pennsylvania. That’s where I got mine from.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 358 Winchester - 02/22/23
16" carbine is super nice little rifle for where I hunt. Weaver 1.5-4.5 with illumination.

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/02/23
Powder Valley has Reloder 7.... an easy-peasy no-compression 2650 fps with 200’s, and the go-to for anything lighter than that as a side bonus...
Posted By: aboltfan Re: 358 Winchester - 03/04/23
Good looking out. Got some.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 358 Winchester - 03/04/23
Over a decade ago, Jesse O at JES reboring mentioned to me to try rl 10x over rl 7 for similiar velocities but less pressure.

By gully if he wasn't right: 46-47grains launched 200 grain Barnes or accubond bullets to 2650-2700fps from 20" barrels in the 358 winchester.

In the .410 occumpaugh and manzo (.410-9.3x62), rl10x beat out TAC with more velocity and less recoil from a 20" barrel.

In a 375 winchester, 255 grain Barnes O bullets gave 1870 fps from a 20" barrel.

These were all JES rebores.

TAC fkn sucks from carbine barrels.
Posted By: viking Re: 358 Winchester - 03/04/23
That’s a sweet little ‘99.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/05/23
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Over a decade ago, Jesse O at JES reboring mentioned to me to try rl 10x over rl 7 for similiar velocities but less pressure.

By gully if he wasn't right: 46-47grains launched 200 grain Barnes or accubond bullets to 2650-2700fps from 20" barrels in the 358 winchester.

In the .410 occumpaugh and manzo (.410-9.3x62), rl10x beat out TAC with more velocity and less recoil from a 20" barrel.

In a 375 winchester, 255 grain Barnes O bullets gave 1870 fps from a 20" barrel.

Good intel- thanks!

I’ve never seen pressure with RL7 and 200’s.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: 358 Winchester - 03/05/23
If anyone is wanting to to a 358 on a Tikka action, I have a pre fit barrel I'm going to sell with a sack of brass.

I think it's a heavy bull sporter that's supposed to be .670 at length. The barrel is 20 inches. I didn't have my micrometer with me today, here's a pic of the barrel next to a factory Hawkeye in 358.

Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
Have a parts gun here.
Had a Douglas barrel spun on a 700 SS action when I built my 358 Hoosier for deer hunting here.
Once Indiana added the 358 Win the gunsmith rechambered it for me.
Thrown into an old takeoff B&C stock, PTG crap BDL.
I'll probably change stocks to the Manners SL since that is inlet for M5, and go with Hawkins Hunter DBM.

We've just always used the 200 grain Hornady SP for deer here. Most shots are within 100 yards in the woods.
Might try the 200 grain AB too.
Buddy is trying to talk me into going to Iowa this year or next, might have to take the 358 if I do.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
The 200 Hornady SP is wicked on deer. There’s no rational reason to use anything else.

....... so I’m using 200-gn Accubonds now. whistle
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Good intel- thanks!

I’ve never seen pressure with RL7 and 200’s.
X-Term is another good one. I get slightly better groups with RL-7. TAC is the one JB liked, but it requires compressed loads, which are OK, just don’t like to compress unless necessary.

RL-7 slighter faster than X-Term, which is slightly faster than TAC. Slower powders take up more room in the case.

DF
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
Yeah, compression is the bane of .358.

I’ve never even heard of X-Term! Now I’m curious.

In all honesty even though my .358 has accounted for more of deer by far than anything else, it’s the rifle I shoot recreationally the least these days. I just stuff shells in it and go kill deer. smile I think that speaks to a couple things; one is that it’s so effective that it’s not like a guy is trying to fix problems with it. The other is since it’s just a short to mid range cartridge it frees me from my longer range obsessions. I did, for a while, play around with dialing it out to around 400 yards and that’s when I moved away from the flying ashtray AKA the Hornady 200 SP.

If anyone CARES.... the 200 NAB at 2650 has similar ballistic performance as the 225 Partition (or Sierra)... if a person wants to stretch a .358 a bit, that’s how I’d do it. The 225 NP is a cool .358 bullet but it doesn’t seem to expand very quickly at those speeds. I killed a couple identical 3x3 bucks on consecutive years- one of them was the one I showed a pic of the lungs from, a couple weeks ago, on this or some other .358 thread- that died identically: I double lunged them at about 40 yards, they ran about 50-60 yards, lay down, and died coughing. I could hear them. I don’t remember hearing any other deer I shot through the lungs cough like that. So I’m now seeing the 225 NP as an elk load. The 200 NAB does a lot more damage than the 225 NP, FWIW, comparable to the Hornady SP, but with much better flight ballistics.... for those who care. smile
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
X-Terminator has worked great in my 356 and 358 Wins.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 358 Winchester - 03/12/23
Check out the 178 Shock Hammer. It's a mono, designed to frag, the core blowing on thru, not too unlike a mono version of the Partition.

Here is the exit wound, that bullet thru the chest of a WT. Quick kill.

Gun is a pre-64 FWT that JES turned into a .358 Win from a shot out .243 Win. Gun is easily MOA, sub-MOA with select loads. The original .243 version was 3-4 MOA on a good day.

I sent this photo to the Hammer company, got an email reply from co-founder/co-owner, Steve Davis, who pointed out the satellite exit wounds around the core exit. I hadn't noticed; he knew what he was seeing. I can see that, now.

Great products, great CS.

DF

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/13/23
Wow, impressive!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 358 Winchester - 03/13/23
Wow, impressive!
Heart and lungs were pretty well chewed up.

Good thing about the Hammer, it has very effective terminal performance even at less than top end velocity. IIRC, they suggest 1,800 fps.

For those who have to use non-lead bullets, it expands their options without giving up much, if anything, on terminal performance.

DF
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 358 Winchester - 03/13/23
I think it was this thread I posted this on? Can’t keep track. There’s been a few .358 threads (which I love!)...

These are lungs from a blacktail killed with a 225 Partition at about 40 yards.... one of the “coughers”. Pretty intact, compared to results from some other bullets I’ve shot through deer lungs.

Posted By: M1Garand Re: 358 Winchester - 03/13/23
I'll have to look into some of the Shock Hammers some day, impressive!
We can share gore pictures.

Actually Shock Hammer may have messed innards mo worser than NPT.

But dead is dead, one can't be more dead than the other.

DF

Posted By: gunswizard Re: 358 Winchester - 03/13/23
I've been hunting whitetail for several years now with the .358's big brother the.35 Whelen, 200gr. RN Hornady Inter-lok and 225gr. Sierra Game King bullets have produced great results both on target and on game. If I had it to do over I would have built a .358.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've been hunting whitetail for several years now with the .358's big brother the.35 Whelen, 200gr. RN Hornady Inter-lok and 225gr. Sierra Game King bullets have produced great results both on target and on game. If I had it to do over I would have built a .358.
The Whelen is no slouch, a great round.

But, the .358 Win is a good one, too.

Doubt the critters can tell any difference.

DF
Posted By: Alan_Robertson Re: 358 Winchester - 03/15/23
Stainless/Synthetic Hawkeye with post/green triangle 1-4 Trijicon. Smooth and a decent trigger from the factory. My plan was 225 NP, but it dearly loves 200gr Hornaday SP with max charge of TAC.

Had a mid-70's 99 Brush Gun but never shot it enough to know what it liked. Pretty much lived in the safe, which was not what it deserved, so it eventually walked down the road.
Posted By: USMA1984DAB Re: 358 Winchester - 08/06/23
Aero Precision AR-10 upper and lower, Wilson Combat barrel, gas block and tube. Forend is the Aero S-One, so the carbine is very light and handy. Sports a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 with the lit reticle (before they dropped it from that level of scope). Try to shoot 225 grain pills with it. I think I am the first one in this thread with an AR-10. Guess I need to get busy and convert/build one of my VZ-24 actions to a .358WIN!
© 24hourcampfire