Home
What is your best bang for your buck in terms of a mini action bolt action chambered in 6mm ARC these days?
I'm guessing the Howa 1500 is the favorite right now.
I’m in the Howa Mini camp for any chambering of that length.
Bang for the buck was undoubtedly this deal:

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/mini-6arc-22-thrd-bl-6-18-vrtx-sling#product_detail

Gone now; they didn’t last long.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/mini-6arc-22-thrd-bl-6-18-vrtx-sling#product_detail

I got this package, but in a 6.5 Grendel. If it shows back up in 6 ARC, I’ll probably buy one.
Only thing that stopped me from grabbing more is I knew that the second I did, somebody would bring in a limited run of the stainless version, and I would have to upgrade. 🤦‍♂️😂
Only thing that stopped me from grabbing more is I knew that the second I did, somebody would bring in a limited run of the stainless version, and I would have to upgrade. 🤦‍♂️😂

A stainless Howa Mini with the carbon fiber stock and JO bottom metal would be perfect to me. I don't understand why Legacy is not importing the stainless version?
See that rifle in the link is currently out of stock. Looks like a good deal. Though I have no experience with the Howa mini. That is about to change.

I had to give the Howa 6mm ARC a try. I recently picked up a 22" Howa mini 6mm ARC barreled action. & am waiting on a stocky's carbon fiber stock. Both were offered with a 20% discount over Memorial day weekend. Think i picked up the last barreled action that was in stock. Looking forward to giving the light 22" barrel a try & seeing how she performes on the bench & in the field.

That package got down to about $419 a couple of weeks ago. They must have sold pretty well, because they've recently jumped a hundred bucks or more on Dahlonega Armory.
I just wish they would have offered that package in a 20" Heavy Barrel. All I have done with mine is get it bore sited and on paper at 50 yards. Looks like a fun little rifle though. Hope it shoots.
Originally Posted by kandpand

A stainless Howa Mini with the carbon fiber stock and JO bottom metal would be perfect to me. I don't understand why Legacy is not importing the stainless version?

Yep... I'll use the blued, but wet weather and humidity will have me wishing for stainless during hunting season.
Almost posted that the Howa is the only Mini game in town unless there is an importer for the Zastavas, but just ran into the Shultz and Larsen Legacy, a very nice-looking rifle for certain. No ARC listed, but they do have the 6x45, which would work for some folks I guess.

https://schultzlarsen.com/product/legacy-2/

No idea about availability or price.

https://www.greatdanerifles.com/legacy.html
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Almost posted that the Howa is the only Mini game in town unless there is an importer for the Zastavas, but just ran into the Shultz and Larsen Legacy, a very nice-looking rifle for certain. No ARC listed, but they do have the 6x45, which would work for some folks I guess.

Looks nice. Doesn’t look cheap.

DF
Their site shows zero U.S.distributers, only EU, UK, AU, maybe NZ.
Blue Book says there is no US importation currently.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Look's really nice. Ill have two mini 6mm ARC's up & running soon. I know I really like the CZ 527 re-barreled from 7.62 x 39 to 6.5 grendel then 2.5 years ago 6mm ARC with a 22" sporter-barrel.

Carbon fiber Stock should be here tomorrow for the 22' Howa barreled action. Scope base may be the hang up for a few days.
Hunterapp, who did your 527 re-barrel work?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Hunterapp, who did your 527 re-barrel work?

Pacnor did the drop in barrel per my request. 22" factory sport contour.

I removed the original barrel. A good barrel vice & action wrench were purchased for this task. Still a real pain to break loose the factory barrel. Factory barrel & action are blued together. The bluing salts tend to penetrate everything & as it works out the threads become very difficult to release.

Actually initially removed the barrel to convert this rifle to 6.5 Grendel a couple years B4 the factory 6.5 Grendel offerings were available. That barrel was a Lothar Walter barrel sourced off E-bay believe it or not:)

Ordered a 6mm ARC Go Head space gauge. Threaded the drop in barrel & bolt would not close as the relief for the extractor was insufficient by roughly .015". Fortunate to have a friend with a lathe. I increased the extractor clearance by .025" as I recall, to insure extractor clearance. Threaded the barrel in the action good & snug. Checked the head space with tape on the go gauge. One thickness of tape on the head of the go gauge made for a snug lock up.

Also have a Whidden micrometer head space gauge to measure brass. Fired brass turns out to be right at .003 longer than nominal, per the Whidden gauge. First custom lapped barrel for me. What a difference.

Have a Varmint contour barrel made by Pacnor arriving soon for the CZ. We will see How that new varmint barrel fits up & shoots before long.
Still patiently waiting for JO to get the blind Mini mag box in stock, hoping to grab two when they become available to shake out my grendel and ARC barreled actions I sourced from the Delonghea deal.
I was and am seriously anxious to get the aftermarket hinged floor plate option. The reports on the Howa plastic trigger guard / Magazine set my expectations at a very low level.. Though my early experience with the factory magazine with dead rounds intentionally loaded to get the feel & know the strengths & weaknesses of the system. Early impressions indicate the mag is not quite as poor as early as impressions left by early reports.

Still My confidence in the long term reliability of the plastic is very limited at best.

Currently waiting on the weaver type dovetail mounts. Shipping is taking longer than expected Grr:)
The OEM mag proper isn't the weakest link,though it is a pile of fhuqking schit. The bottom "metal" is THE weakest link and an absolute fhuqking JOKE. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The JO V2 is your bitch and don't even think about anything else. Though I've got JO V1,Wayne's World and the JO CZ 527 bottoms too. Hint.

I've flogged the schit out of them(daily for a month straight),in less than "perfect" weather and they are simply fhuqking exceptional. Hint.

Just sayin'.................
Just wish JO could keep the bottom metal in stock…glass should be here today, just can’t run my rigs with no bottom metal.
Am waiting on them to be in stock too.
By the way, what base and ring set up is everyone using?
410600's are tough to beat in my book,though I drive RVF DD's on my 22PPC AFI. (6) cap screws is never not soothing and I'll take Swiffer Low's. Hint.

Ring spacing and surface area,are a scope's BEST friend. Hint...............
thank you.
I’ve got the Burris set up on one with a SWFA 6x in the mail somewhere, other got a set of Talley UL lows, still trying to find glass I love on the 1” Talleys, 6x42 Leupold hasn’t been unseated yet…
Made it out to the range today with the 6mm ARC barreled action put in the factory 2nd carbon fiber, Stocky's stock today. Winds are gusting well over 20 mph. So my accuracy potential may have suffered noticeably. Goal today was to break in the barrel & get familiarized with the Howa as this is my first Howa.

Chose to sight in & start break in on the barrel with some mild reloads with inexpensive 85 grain all copper bullets that have been CBN coated. After 35 rounds cleaning at frequent intervals, I opted to try a few factory rounds for accuracy & velocity test. Given the wind conditions I feel the factory ammo has real potential in the accuracy department.

Then off to evaluating velocity w factory 108's from this 22" barrel. Velocity readings were as follows when measured with a magneto speed.

Well I had the CZ 527 along w the 22" Pacnor barrel. May as well measure velocity with that barrel as well, Right? Well I did & velocity was as follows, Mind you this is the same box of factory ammo.

While the factory ammo showed real accuracy potential in the Howa, The same was not true for my CZ527.

More interesting stuff, the brass left on the face of the bolt of the Howa was quite note worthy. Brass left on the face of the CZ, not so much. I ask, is the brass on the face of the bolt on the Howa, more a feature of pressure or does the ejector play a considerable roll here.
Consideration for less expensive Howa mods that may be more cost efficient & make the system more reliable if done right.

I am experiencing a mag that is not seating quite deep enough and the mag needs to be re-seated or held up to allow the next round to feed. Anyone have a mod to improve the reliability of the factory mag to feed they would care to share?

Mod for mag engagement is likely a moot point for me, as I do intend on switching out to the hinged floor plate in the not to distant future.Though if i did wish to go back to a mag feed these mods do seem to have merit IMHO.
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Still patiently waiting for JO to get the blind Mini mag box in stock, hoping to grab two when they become available to shake out my grendel and ARC barreled actions I sourced from the Delonghea deal.

I have been in contact & getting on his notification list. Expect these may come in to stock soon.
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Originally Posted by Biathlonman

I have been in contact & getting on his notification list. Expect these may come in to stock soon.

Here's and update for everyone waiting, I am also waiting for the rest of my parts to return from anodizing.

I sent a much larger batch out for finishing and it's been delayed so I'm just waiting for them to return so I can start assembly.
I got tired of waiting on Wayne and JO to get stock in and bought the DIP bottom metal instead for my 6.5 Grendel. My groups improved a lot, as I can get proper torque on things now. Next replacement is a new stock.
I considered one of those, and JO’s similar model for my .223, but the CZ 527 mags are very compact, and nicely made, so that JO model was chosen. Additionally, the 3-round M1 mags sit flush, which is nice.
Originally Posted by Hudge
I got tired of waiting on Wayne and JO to get stock in and bought the DIP bottom metal instead for my 6.5 Grendel. My groups improved a lot, as I can get proper torque on things now. Next replacement is a new stock.

Should have waited, just received the email from Chris that they were back in stock. I got mine, y'all can have the rest
Just ordered two, can’t wait!
Ordered one as well
Me too and I don't have another one to put it on... yet.

Hopefully some stainless minis will make it to the USA soon.
just got mine ordered. Thanks for the heads up all.
© 24hourcampfire