Home
Posted By: Ken_L Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/14/23
Looks like the Kimber Montana's are being produced again as I am seeing new ones on Gunbroker now. From Kimbers website it looks like they are only offering four different calibers in the Montana that I listed below.

300 Win Mag
280 Ack Imp
308 Win
6.5 Creedmoor

I was hoping they would bring back the 257 Roberts but that doesn't look to be happening.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/14/23
That’s great news.
Maybe they would do a short run of Bobs if a distributor ordered them.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/14/23
Interesting!
Sweet !
I’d like to see/handle the new stock vs the prior guns.
Hell yes! Its about time..I need a .308 Win and a 30-06 ASAP....Hb
I need one in 280 AI . I need another rifle like I need a hole in my head but that 280 AI would be nice.
Posted By: 35sambar Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I want another !! Don’t know what cal but I want another!
Posted By: 35sambar Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
Most likely a 270wsm
257 "Bob". No thanks, hard pass. Already have one in 7-08 I've never used. Might have to give it a try.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I'd like a fast twist .223
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I need one in 280 AI . I need another rifle like I need a hole in my head but that 280 AI would be nice.

Prayers sent.
I have a pretty nice Kimber 84-M in 308 Winchester; it would be nice to have a Montana to go with it of the same caliber.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I have a 7mm-08 in one that’s worked out pretty well.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
My Montana 7mm-08 is my absolute favorite rifle ever.
I also have one in .223, .243 and .338 Fed.
A .280AI would be interesting, but I really don't need one.
Are these the tinkering or roulette versions?
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

It depends on if you have half a brain and know what you're doing. YMMV
This is good news. I could see grabbing a 308.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Teeder

It depends on if you have half a brain and know what you're doing. YMMV

Lol
Anyone know where the stocks are coming from now? Be interested to see if anything changed there.

If they would chamber in 6 Creed I'd likely throw my money at them.

Curious that of the 4 offerings they stuck with 300 Win Mag as one of the chamberings...wouldn't think that would be a huge mover.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
Jackson_Handy Ever owned one? If so what was the problems you had with them? Your question surmises that there are only two states Kimber Montanas’s can come in, both being problematic. That’s quite the insight you have.
Here ya go.....

I was dumb enough to buy one. Never again. I have zero desire to fiddlephuuck with a gun that is over 1k.

Go forth and fiddlepuuck.
I got burned with a classic in 7mm-08 14 years ago. Barrel not centered in stock one of its issues. They replaced the stock, installed a 3 position safety and returned it. It looked and shot great.

I have owned just a few since then and they have all been dead nuts on. Great rifle.
I have owned twelve Kimber rifles and eleven of the twelve were outstanding rifles right out of the box but I did get one Montana .308 Win (early model) that would not shoot better than 2.5 MOA, it also had function issues that were never fixed after a trip back to Kimber.....Hb
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I've had a pile of them as well. I only had 1, a 257 Bob interestingly, that wouldn't shoot worth a crap. It became a 338 Fed. It shoots good now.

I was looking at my 270 just yesterday. I picked that gun up in an even trade for another Kimber. It will put 5 129 LRX into an inch with H4350 or H4831. I'm trying to decide if it becomes an elk killer this year or if I just take the ol' 308. Again. That 308 is way handy in the elk, deer, bear woods. It accounted for an elk a several deer last year. It's hard to leave it home.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've had a pile of them as well. I only had 1, a 257 Bob interestingly, that wouldn't shoot worth a crap. It became a 338 Fed. It shoots good now.

I was looking at my 270 just yesterday. I picked that gun up in an even trade for another Kimber. It will put 5 129 LRX into an inch with H4350 or H4831. I'm trying to decide if it becomes an elk killer this year or if I just take the ol' 308. Again. That 308 is way handy in the elk, deer, bear woods. It accounted for an elk a several deer last year. It's hard to leave it home.

I'd like a 308 Montana.. The 7-08 is really handy.. It might as well have a buddy.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I've considered a 7-08 more than a few times. The 7-08 shoots a bit flatter but neither is a "long range" gun. My 308 is my 95% time gun - 0 to 300 yards, from any position, in any terrain. Plus it carries well and weighs less than 7lbs. Hard not to like that. grin
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I would agree with that. The 7-08 was my first, but like Lays potato chips, hard to have just one.

I saw they were selling factory 308 ammo with 180 Swifts for 25 bucks a box. I instantly wanted one of the Montana's in 308..
Posted By: geedubya Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/15/23
I/ve played Kimber Roulette near a dozen times, Classics, Montana's and Pistolas.

When I can find them pre-enjoyed at a value, I'm not so disappointed if they are not shooters or have other problems.

This 325 WSM and the 260 Remington were my favorites

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not 1-holer's but good enough to kill anything they were pointed at @100 yds.

Recently picked up a Hunter in 280 AI cheap that had the barrel cut down to 17.5".

I got it to use with a suppressor.

First outing with the "can".

Tuned up, it should work.

Anywho, ya' pays yo' money and ya' takes yo' chances.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Oakster Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
I have been wanting one in .300 WSM, doesnt look like the new ones will fill that itch.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Originally Posted by geedubya
I/ve played Kimber Roulette near a dozen times, Classics, Montana's and Pistolas.

When I can find them pre-enjoyed at a value, I'm not so disappointed if they are not shooters or have other problems.

Recently picked up a Hunter in 280 AI cheap that had the barrel cut down to 17.5".

ya!

GWB

What are you getting for velocities with the 160's?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Here ya go.....

I was dumb enough to buy one. Never again. I have zero desire to fiddlephuuck with a gun that is over 1k.

Ditto.
I bought a 270WSM a number of years ago, for a sheep hunt. Its accuracy was dismal for that level of rifle. I sent it back to the manufacturer. They returned it saying it was in spec, despite the crappy accuracy. I sold it and had Jim Kobe build me a R700 270 WSM. It produced outstanding accuracy.
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Looks like the Kimber Montana's are being produced again as I am seeing new ones on Gunbroker now. From Kimbers website it looks like they are only offering four different calibers in the Montana that I listed below.

300 Win Mag
280 Ack Imp
308 Win
6.5 Creedmoor

Thanks for the information.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
I bought a 270 Montana off of here in maybe 2014. The PO had bedded it. I put together a 140 gr TXS load straight from Barnes using max data for H4831SC. I always start with loading Barnes .070" back. It shot right about an inch or so and killed, likely, my last bull elk at 250 yards.

Last summer a very large "localish" retailer (huh?) had a 30-06 Subalpine. The second year I had noted it in their rack. Priced "old school". It came home. First trip out hunting with 165 gr PPU. It grouped three in an inch and a half.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Are all iterations if the Classic retired now? Can’t find them on the website. Had to dig to find the Montana.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Might have to get a 280 ack.
I was hoping that the 6.5mm and .280 have faster twist rates, but they haven't changed. Probably be a tight fit in the box for the long copper bullets that I want to use anyway.

Either way, I'm glad that the Montana is available again. Curious about the stock quality, and who supplies the barrels these days.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I was hoping that the 6.5mm and .280 have faster twist rates, but they haven't changed. Probably be a tight fit in the box for the long copper bullets that I want to use anyway.

Either way, I'm glad that the Montana is available again. Curious about the stock quality, and who supplies the barrels these days.

How far are you shooting when hunting that a faster twist is necessary?
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23

ya!

GWB

I certainly have no complaints with the groups of the two Montana 325's that I have, nor my wife's 7mm-08. I have one in 338 Winchester that I have not shot yet. I had the 26" barrel cut to about 23.5".
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
I kinda wish I could find a Kimber LA that was a crappy shooter - and the price reflected that fact. I've planned more than 1 plain Jane 280 Rem but haven't pulled the trigger. I was headed that direction last fall when the aforementioned 270 became available. It's hard to justify building a 280 when I have a 270 that is already MOA.

But I'll bet I own a Kimber Montana LA in 280 Rem before I die - a 22 inch barrel 280 is about rifle nirvana to me. I've had a love affair with the 280 since 1981 when I bought my first one. I may have killed a pile of game with that rifle - a tanger Ruger 77. Still resides in my safe and is semi retired. It struggles to reach 1.5 MOA these days. It's only had 45 bazillion rounds fired down that tube.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Are we sure new rifles are being made? I found three Montanas currently listed on GB and one was a WSM. Is it possible that we’re seeing some onesies and twosies coming up for sale?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
I kinda wish I could find a Kimber LA that was a crappy shooter - and the price reflected that fact. I've planned more than 1 plain Jane 280 Rem but haven't pulled the trigger. I was headed that direction last fall when the aforementioned 270 became available. It's hard to justify building a 280 when I have a 270 that is already MOA.

But I'll bet I own a Kimber Montana LA in 280 Rem before I die - a 22 inch barrel 280 is about rifle nirvana to me. I've had a love affair with the 280 since 1981 when I bought my first one. I may have killed a pile of game with that rifle - a tanger Ruger 77. Still resides in my safe and is semi retired. It struggles to reach 1.5 MOA these days. It's only had 45 bazillion rounds fired down that tube.

That is about like my want of one in a 7x57.. Maybe they don't make sense, but damnit, when did that have anything to do with rifles.. grin
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Originally Posted by beretzs

That is about like my want of one in a 7x57.. Maybe they don't make sense, but damnit, when did that have anything to do with rifles.. grin

The 7x57 works beautifully in the Montana 84L platform. I built one a few years back that was awesome. Unfortunately at the time I had to pick between it and my Montana 7mm-08. That was a tough decision.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23

The 7x57 works beautifully in the Montana 84L platform. I built one a few years back that was awesome. Unfortunately at the time I had to pick between it and my Montana 7mm-08. That was a tough decision.

I am sure. I have the 7-08 Montana, and the 7x57 is really just a want, but it doe sound like a cool package.
Originally Posted by EdM
How far are you shooting when hunting that a faster twist is necessary?

I killed a buck last year at 500 yards during a backpack hunt in a mountain wilderness area.

I was hoping for a shot at 400 and less during that hunt. And there were a handful of opportunities like that but it's big country so not always easy to get closer. Better opportunities if one can shoot well past 400+ there.

Anyway I have also started using a can and prefer shorter barrels for that application. Really short barrels of course hurt velocity but it gets somewhat negated by the high BC copper bullet. They weigh less than the lead core bullets of comparable BC so get back a bit of velocity just with lighter bullet. But they are long so it might be a moot point for a Montana.

I bought a 280 AI Kimber on a whim a couple years ago but sold it because the twist was marginal for the bullet that I wanted to shoot at the time. I have another Kimber that might get rebarrelled.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Originally Posted by ldmay375

ya!

GWB

I certainly have no complaints with the groups of the two Montana 325's that I have, nor my wife's 7mm-08. I have one in 338 Winchester that I have not shot yet. I had the 26" barrel cut to about 23.5".

The nice thing about "operating within a narrow band of mediocrity": all your rifles don't have to be 1-holers.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Are we sure new rifles are being made? I found three Montanas currently listed on GB and one was a WSM. Is it possible that we’re seeing some onesies and twosies coming up for sale?
Yes. Whole pile showed up about 3 weeks ago - all chambered in 6.5C.
I wish they’d do 18” threaded barrels and 22” slick barrels.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/16/23
Are Kimber Montanas back in production, or did some misplaced inventory just get rediscovered?
We can only hope they come with a clean barrel.

Say no to threads and threads protectors!
Lol…give me more short tubes and threaded barrels. I wish I had started buying cans 30 years ago. I’ve got enough old, traditional, long, and loud stuff I don’t need cut and threaded. I don’t care if they get hunted or shot much anymore. Suppressed is better. Short is better for suppressed. Bring back the Adirondack and y’all can have the alpines. wink
Based on the 3 I’ve owned, Montana’s sometimes need some minor tweaking to shoot really well. My samples were a .260 Rem from 2016 that I should never have sold (prior owner glass bedded the action). A 6.5 Creed that was excellent after I sorted out a feeding issue, and a .257 Roberts, also from around 2016 that I glass bedded myself. All shot well under MOA. The Roberts is the “worst” of them and it’s a consistent 3 shots into .75 MOA shooter. I think it will do better after some more load development—I’ve only tried a couple of powders and one bullet. It the only Montana I still have.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23

Who would ever think of putting a 7x57 in a Kimber LA? whistle

But it does feed well at 3, 3.1, or 3.2 inches. grin[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
I think these are current offerings because the model number in Reeds ad matches whats on Kimber website plus I have never seen a Montana with two sling studs on the forearm.

Reeds Gunbroker Ad
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Me either on 2 sling swivels - BUT the most important thing in that sale was the price $1169!
Posted By: handwerk Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
that's a good price and Reed's is a great shop to deal with.
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here's a spread I shot with Staball 6.5 and 162gr ELDxs when I had the rifle.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here's a spread I shot with Staball 6.5 and 162gr ELDxs when I had the rifle.

Thanks. Was wondering how it compared to 160's from a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
We can only hope they come with a clean barrel.

Say no to threads and threads protectors!

Why? How does it affect your hunt or shooting at all?
Posted By: OGB Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
If they would make some with the bolt on the other side, I'd be interested. Always on the lookout for a "better than average" 308.
Originally Posted by handwerk
Yep. $200 less than everyone else. Suspect that’s close to the dealer price. I’m curious about the stocks and barrels on these new ones.
I think these are current offerings because the model number in Reeds ad matches whats on Kimber website plus I have never seen a Montana with two sling studs on the forearm.

Reeds Gunbroker Ad

The second sling stud on the forend is intended for a bipod
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Reeds Gunbroker Ad

The second sling stud is intended for a bipod

I understand what the second sling stud is for but I have never seen one on a Kimber Montana before. I know Kimber has put them on some of their other rifles but I believe this is a first for the Montana.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Here ya go.....

Amen I had 2 270 WSM's (2 different times) both 2 MOA guns. Sent back and both came back with the same issues. For those that got lucky God Bless. For me? Never again. Over $1k garbage gun.
Posted By: skeen Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23

Reed's is great to deal with. I've bought 3 new Kimber Montana rifles in the past, all at Reed's.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/17/23
Originally Posted by skeen

Reed's is great to deal with. I've bought 3 new Kimber Montana rifles in the past, all at Reed's.

That's good to hear!
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/18/23
That’s a great price. Wish we could get them for that here. Before they dropped out of sight they were around AUD3,000.
Originally Posted by OGB
If they would make some with the bolt on the other side, I'd be interested. Always on the lookout for a "better than average" 308.

Well, at least the Kimber rifles don’t use a palm swell. That makes shooting a right handed rifle next to impossible for me.
I grabbed one from Reeds a couple weeks ago to become a 6cm. The color is not the old gray or the new green it is more of a granite color. Barrel is still stamped NY, I thought they had moved to AL. Stock is still the same besides the second stud. Guessing these are just old stock parts finally being put together now.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/18/23
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
I grabbed one from Reeds a couple weeks ago to become a 6cm. The color is not the old gray or the new green it is more of a granite color. Barrel is still stamped NY, I thought they had moved to AL. Stock is still the same besides the second stud. Guessing these are just old stock parts finally being put together now.

A Montana in 6 creed should be a dandy.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/18/23
I only buy Winchester, Ruger or Remington, because they never produce a lemon.

Oh, wait.

I only buy Winchester, Ruger or Remington, because if they do produce a lemon, they 100% make it right.

Oh, wait.

grin

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/18/23
Originally Posted by shinbone
I only buy Winchester, Ruger or Remington, because they never produce a lemon.

Oh, wait.

I only buy Winchester, Ruger or Remington, because if they do produce a lemon, they 100% make it right.

Oh, wait.

grin

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I like the way you roll.

I snagged one of the new 6.5's from Reeds. I bet I'll like it.
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
Have you looked to see if there is any indication of barrel maker on these “new” guns?
Have not taken it out of the stock yet, I’ll take a look this weekend though.
There is something about a new rifle.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/18/23
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
There is something about a new rifle.

That's what I keep saying!

Then hunting season comes along and I grab the old 7mm-08 and off I go. crazy
I'll be passing through Walker tomorrow, will be interesting to see what's on their shelves.
Reeds is a great store, i have purchased a pile of rifles/shotguns from them and there's a good chance ill buy a Montana chambered in .308 Win if they have any.....Hb
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/19/23
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Reeds is a great store, i have purchased a pile of rifles/shotguns from them and there's a good chance ill buy a Montana chambered in .308 Win if they have any.....Hb

Same here!
Posted By: KDK Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/19/23

That is EXACTLY where I'm at.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/19/23
Originally Posted by KDK

That is EXACTLY where I'm at.

I'm feeling the pull, too.
I like my 7mm-08 a lot - after I had PacNor make a replacement barrel. smile I call it a KimNor. They will duplicate the contour, and really did a fine job

Supposedly Kimber wised up and now uses better barrels. Good barrels heal many sins smile
Interesting how these cost the same as a m77 on gunbroker now. Who would have guessed that a few years ago? 😂
Posted By: handwerk Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/20/23
for those buying the montanas let us know what you think when you've had a chance to shoot them.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/20/23
+1
Posted By: Ccard257 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
Love my 280ai. Really want a bob but may go for the 308
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
for those buying the montanas let us know what you think when you've had a chance to shoot them.
They're fantastic. I have 3 of them now I think? I'll be barried with the .223 Rem
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
I wished I snagged one of those when they were easy.
I hope they build some .223 rifles again. I used to fondle one at an LGS in Lubbock when I was down there for work. I was pretty broke at the time, and never bought it.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
Kimber Montanas in .223 Remington are indeed sweet. They’re super light and handle like a wand, and there’s tons of cheap ammo available. They’re just a lot of fun.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
Kimber Montanas in .223 Remington are indeed sweet. They’re super light and handle like a wand, and there’s tons of cheap ammo available. They’re just a lot of fun.

Thanks for rubbing it in buddy... grin
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23

Yup, I love mine. Think it was the last one Whittakers had. Had to have it after getting my Bob. It has just enough extra weight to make it handle better for me.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/21/23
Love my 223 Montana too, especially after shortening front action bolt and free floating mag box, and bedding of course. Made a huge difference.

Pity they aren’t making them now, my shooting buddy covets it like crazy!
I bought a Montana 6.5 Creedmoor in 2016. Very accurate, function's perfect. Then I bought a .223 next which I guess was a little newer since it had the green stock, (6.5 has grey stock) Same result's both great rifles
I do not care if they shoot little tiny bugholes on the moon from the back yard.

I do not care if they look good in grip and grins...

I do care if they fail to go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I do care if the chamber is wildly out of spec.

I do care if the service department is unable to find a chamber 100 thousandths too long.

I do care if they cannot find a problem in three trips, with a chamber cast included.

I do care if after multiple trips to the service department I cannot talk to someone with an understanding of the word "headspace."

I do care when the idiot designing the bolt decided an adjustable firing pin was a good idea.

I could go on... but you could not give me one of those pieces os...
Posted By: Joezone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/22/23
Another vote for more 223's!
Posted By: boatammo Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/22/23
My 223 Montana shoots bug holes.
I’m not locked in to Montanas so much as the package they complete….like the size, weight, length, and stock of my Adirondack with Montana stock. I’d gladly take a Tikka or even 700 footprint that ended up the same. Could care less about nitpicks for/against the action, as it works and is accurate thus far. If Tikka or anyone else made something similar in all regards, I’d probably buy it. They don’t, that I know of. Maybe I’ll build something one day. I do like shorter bolt lift actions for lower scope use simplicity.
Very fond of my Montanas
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/22/23
Nice to see montanad in the real world again. Ive owned a pile of kimber rifles and all were wonderful shooters. Their 1911s though, yeah not a fan
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/22/23
My only 1911 was a Kimber. I liked it, but maybe I don’t know what I was missing?

I’m very glad the Montucky is back. I have one in 7 WSM; another in 6.5 ManBun or 7-08 would be pretty cool.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/22/23
I’d love a Kimber Montana in 7WSM. Been looking for awhile, And they don’t come up all that often. Which I interpret to mean people are generally very happy with them.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/23/23
Originally Posted by boatammo

I’d be all over one should they decide to make them again.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/23/23

I’d be all over one should they decide to make them again.

My 223 MT might be my most accurate rifle. I have tuned 5 different loads for it that all shoot under MOA to the same POI at 100 yards. I now primarily shoot the 70 Speer SMP and it shoots bug holes and kills deer and pigs very well.
Never understood why they haven’t done the hunter in a 223. I bet they would sell a metric [bleep] ton of them.
Posted By: RDW Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/23/23
The 223 Montana was pretty good out of the box but stellar with a Lilja 8t laugh
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/24/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Never understood why they haven’t done the hunter in a 223. I bet they would sell a metric [bleep] ton of them.

I'd be all over one of them!
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Very fond of my Montanas

As am I, Ted....and my Classic Select. Thanks for getting me hooked.
A 7" RPM 223 wearing AICS footprint bottom please. Hint.....................
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/24/23
I've had several Montanas and the only one that was finicky was a 257 Roberts. It shot well enough I guess. Killed a couple decent alpine bucks with it but I just never had warm fuzzies. The '06 308 and 270 have all been some of my most accurate rifles.

BTW I lived across the island from Stick when I had that 257. He worked up a load for me that would bughole. I think an 80 something grain Sierra. I had a 100 TSX load that did alright but then would string.

I'm not hesitant to buy another Montana. If anyone has a non threaded one they want to unload I might be interested.
Posted By: PatB Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/24/23

and

Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/24/23

grin

I snagged one from Whittakers a few years back when they were closing them out.

The description above is accurate for me as well.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/25/23
Originally Posted by tzone

grin

The 223 is in fact the heaviest 84M Montana. If you want a “wand” that points like a shotgun you need the 338F.
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/25/23
I've got Montana's in .223, 7mm - 08 and .338 Federal. The .223 is easily the most accurate and fun to shoot and would be the last to go. The 7mm - 08 is finicky liking only one load of several tested. The .338 Federal isn't much fun on the bench, although plenty accurate!
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/25/23
My 7-08 is ridiculously accurate with several different 140’s. A 280 would be nice to add
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/25/23
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I do not care if they shoot little tiny bugholes on the moon from the back yard.

I do not care if they look good in grip and grins...

I do care if they fail to go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I do care if the chamber is wildly out of spec.

I do care if the service department is unable to find a chamber 100 thousandths too long.

I do care if they cannot find a problem in three trips, with a chamber cast included.

I do care if after multiple trips to the service department I cannot talk to someone with an understanding of the word "headspace."

I do care when the idiot designing the bolt decided an adjustable firing pin was a good idea.

I could go on... but you could not give me one of those pieces os...

How would you feel if they stole your stock?

Mine too. With reloads or factory rounds.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

No doubt they would.
Posted By: skeen Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 07/25/23

Mine too. With reloads or factory rounds.

Yessir, mine shoots pretty pretty good too.
Has anyone been able to get their hands on one of these yet, and give it a good shake down?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/04/23
One should have been delivered today
Posted By: Igloo Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/04/23
Congrats! Hope it does well for you!
Posted By: boatammo Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/04/23
My 223 shoots amazing.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by RDW
The 223 Montana was pretty good out of the box but stellar with a Lilja 8t laugh

I went 1:7 Lilja and it indeed does shoot quite well w/50's, that's all I've run through it so far. Backed up the mag-box spacer and shortened the ejector/bolt-stop accordingly with the idea of 75 A-max's, just haven't loaded any up yet.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/05/23

grin

The 223 is in fact the heaviest 84M Montana. If you want a “wand” that points like a shotgun you need the 338F.

They made Montana's in .17 Rem and .204 for a while........
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by horse1

grin

They made Montana's in .17 Rem and .204 for a while........

I do recall the 204 now that you mention it. Have never seen and never knew they made a 17.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/05/23
Scott- how's the new Montana?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/06/23
Originally Posted by Igloo
Congrats! Hope it does well for you!

I just took it about and checked for clearance at the mag box and also sharpied up some screws to see if they bottomed out. So far no issues. Waiting for a scope to put atop of it, but I suspect it'll be fine. They are wand like rifles and if I say, I feel like it is a little smoother than my old Montana 7-08 but that's neither here nor there. The 7-08 is a hammer so I don't wanna pick on it.
Where does it say it was made?....Hb
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber Montana's are Back - 08/06/23
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Where does it say it was made?....Hb

Yonkers NY...
© 24hourcampfire