-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kinda wish I could find a Kimber LA that was a crappy shooter - and the price reflected that fact. I've planned more than 1 plain Jane 280 Rem but haven't pulled the trigger. I was headed that direction last fall when the aforementioned 270 became available. It's hard to justify building a 280 when I have a 270 that is already MOA.

But I'll bet I own a Kimber Montana LA in 280 Rem before I die - a 22 inch barrel 280 is about rifle nirvana to me. I've had a love affair with the 280 since 1981 when I bought my first one. I may have killed a pile of game with that rifle - a tanger Ruger 77. Still resides in my safe and is semi retired. It struggles to reach 1.5 MOA these days. It's only had 45 bazillion rounds fired down that tube.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Are we sure new rifles are being made? I found three Montanas currently listed on GB and one was a WSM. Is it possible that we’re seeing some onesies and twosies coming up for sale?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I kinda wish I could find a Kimber LA that was a crappy shooter - and the price reflected that fact. I've planned more than 1 plain Jane 280 Rem but haven't pulled the trigger. I was headed that direction last fall when the aforementioned 270 became available. It's hard to justify building a 280 when I have a 270 that is already MOA.

But I'll bet I own a Kimber Montana LA in 280 Rem before I die - a 22 inch barrel 280 is about rifle nirvana to me. I've had a love affair with the 280 since 1981 when I bought my first one. I may have killed a pile of game with that rifle - a tanger Ruger 77. Still resides in my safe and is semi retired. It struggles to reach 1.5 MOA these days. It's only had 45 bazillion rounds fired down that tube.

That is about like my want of one in a 7x57.. Maybe they don't make sense, but damnit, when did that have anything to do with rifles.. grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

That is about like my want of one in a 7x57.. Maybe they don't make sense, but damnit, when did that have anything to do with rifles.. grin

The 7x57 works beautifully in the Montana 84L platform. I built one a few years back that was awesome. Unfortunately at the time I had to pick between it and my Montana 7mm-08. That was a tough decision.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

The 7x57 works beautifully in the Montana 84L platform. I built one a few years back that was awesome. Unfortunately at the time I had to pick between it and my Montana 7mm-08. That was a tough decision.

I am sure. I have the 7-08 Montana, and the 7x57 is really just a want, but it doe sound like a cool package.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
How far are you shooting when hunting that a faster twist is necessary?

I killed a buck last year at 500 yards during a backpack hunt in a mountain wilderness area.

I was hoping for a shot at 400 and less during that hunt. And there were a handful of opportunities like that but it's big country so not always easy to get closer. Better opportunities if one can shoot well past 400+ there.

Anyway I have also started using a can and prefer shorter barrels for that application. Really short barrels of course hurt velocity but it gets somewhat negated by the high BC copper bullet. They weigh less than the lead core bullets of comparable BC so get back a bit of velocity just with lighter bullet. But they are long so it might be a moot point for a Montana.

I bought a 280 AI Kimber on a whim a couple years ago but sold it because the twist was marginal for the bullet that I wanted to shoot at the time. I have another Kimber that might get rebarrelled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Originally Posted by geedubya
I/ve played Kimber Roulette near a dozen times, Classics, Montana's and Pistolas.

When I can find them pre-enjoyed at a value, I'm not so disappointed if they are not shooters or have other problems.

This 325 WSM and the 260 Remington were my favorites

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not 1-holer's but good enough to kill anything they were pointed at @100 yds.

Recently picked up a Hunter in 280 AI cheap that had the barrel cut down to 17.5".

I got it to use with a suppressor.

First outing with the "can".

Tuned up, it should work.

Anywho, ya' pays yo' money and ya' takes yo' chances.

ya!

GWB

I certainly have no complaints with the groups of the two Montana 325's that I have, nor my wife's 7mm-08. I have one in 338 Winchester that I have not shot yet. I had the 26" barrel cut to about 23.5".

The nice thing about "operating within a narrow band of mediocrity": all your rifles don't have to be 1-holers.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Are we sure new rifles are being made? I found three Montanas currently listed on GB and one was a WSM. Is it possible that we’re seeing some onesies and twosies coming up for sale?
Yes. Whole pile showed up about 3 weeks ago - all chambered in 6.5C.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wish they’d do 18” threaded barrels and 22” slick barrels.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are Kimber Montanas back in production, or did some misplaced inventory just get rediscovered?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We can only hope they come with a clean barrel.

Say no to threads and threads protectors!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lol…give me more short tubes and threaded barrels. I wish I had started buying cans 30 years ago. I’ve got enough old, traditional, long, and loud stuff I don’t need cut and threaded. I don’t care if they get hunted or shot much anymore. Suppressed is better. Short is better for suppressed. Bring back the Adirondack and y’all can have the alpines. wink

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 07/16/23.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Based on the 3 I’ve owned, Montana’s sometimes need some minor tweaking to shoot really well. My samples were a .260 Rem from 2016 that I should never have sold (prior owner glass bedded the action). A 6.5 Creed that was excellent after I sorted out a feeding issue, and a .257 Roberts, also from around 2016 that I glass bedded myself. All shot well under MOA. The Roberts is the “worst” of them and it’s a consistent 3 shots into .75 MOA shooter. I think it will do better after some more load development—I’ve only tried a couple of powders and one bullet. It the only Montana I still have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Who would ever think of putting a 7x57 in a Kimber LA? whistle

But it does feed well at 3, 3.1, or 3.2 inches. grin[Linked Image]

K
Ken_L Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I think these are current offerings because the model number in Reeds ad matches whats on Kimber website plus I have never seen a Montana with two sling studs on the forearm.

Reeds Gunbroker Ad

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me either on 2 sling swivels - BUT the most important thing in that sale was the price $1169!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
that's a good price and Reed's is a great shop to deal with.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I/ve played Kimber Roulette near a dozen times, Classics, Montana's and Pistolas.

When I can find them pre-enjoyed at a value, I'm not so disappointed if they are not shooters or have other problems.

Recently picked up a Hunter in 280 AI cheap that had the barrel cut down to 17.5".

ya!

GWB

What are you getting for velocities with the 160's?

Here's a spread I shot with Staball 6.5 and 162gr ELDxs when I had the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

ya!

GWB

What are you getting for velocities with the 160's?

Here's a spread I shot with Staball 6.5 and 162gr ELDxs when I had the rifle.

Thanks. Was wondering how it compared to 160's from a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
We can only hope they come with a clean barrel.

Say no to threads and threads protectors!

Why? How does it affect your hunt or shooting at all?

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 47 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,765
Posts18,476,713
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.