Home
Posted By: nyrifleman 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/23/23
I've been hearing through the grapevine that velocity on the PRC has not been as advertised in a lot of rifles.

What are you fellas seeing for actual chronograph velocities?

Not guesses, actual chronograph results with the 175 gr.

I was thinking about rebarreling one of mine...
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/23/23
I’m getting some popcorn…
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Is 280 +p like a 280AI? 😂😇
Posted By: RinB Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Scotty
You want butter on your popcorn?
R
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
I cannot attest to the 7 PRC, but I sure can expound on the 280 AI. Once I began shooting the AI, I have not hunted with my 7 Wby since.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
2810 fps. 22 inch barrel. 175 grain hornady factory ammo.

And like all my rifles that use hornady exclusive cartridges, I should just toss the brass in the fkn garbage after the first firing, haha!
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by RinB
Scotty
You want butter on your popcorn?
R

Absolutely..
Posted By: mauserfan Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Can I get a Coke too?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
2810 fps. 22 inch barrel. 175 grain hornady factory ammo.

And like all my rifles that use hornady exclusive cartridges, I should just toss the brass in the fkn garbage after the first firing, haha!

I am having a rifle rebarreled to 7 PRC and bought a number of boxes of ELD X's to get it going before I gather hand loading supplies. I plan on using the factory brass that I shoot up.

I sure hope the brass isn't as bad as you say. I did the same thing when I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor and have to say, the brass is very good. On my 4th reloading with them. Have not cracked open the Lapua box yet.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Velocity seems to be all over the place with the 7 PRC depending on the type of barrel, length, and handloading vs. box fodder.

My Seekins rifle, in this chambering, with a 22” barrel was giving me speeds in the mid 2600’s to low 2700’s. That didn’t seem right compared to published velocity being pushed my others shooting the same Hornady 175 Eld-x ammo.

I had an RMA # from Seekins to ship my rifle back for them to check out if there was an issue with my barrel.

Before I shipped it off, I did two more range sessions with the rifle, increasing the number of shots down the barrel. After about 85 rounds on the tube. I started seeing velocities in the high 2700 range, with the highest being 2807.

I called Seekins, with the higher numbers and they said that was a velocity range they’d expect to see from the rifle using Hornady’s 175’s.

A buddy of mine has a Christensen made rifle in 7 PRC with a 24” Proof CF barrel. Shooting the same ammo, as I am. His velocity is 2825.

I guess, if you want higher FPS numbers, handload for it.

🦫
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
I got 2750 fps from a plain jane 280 Rem 22" barrel using the maximum load of Imr-7828ssc and the Sierra 175gr Gamekings. Load manual data is from Nosler #5. Acceptable accuracy at initial tests at 100 yds.

Edited by adding 22" barrel
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Here is a thread on velocity with factory ammo. My rebarrel is with a 26" bartlein 8 twist barrel and I expect to flirt with velocity over 2950 fps with factory 175 ELD X factory loads. I think I will be a little disappointed if I don't get that velocity after about a 100 round break in.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/7-prc-velocities-factory-ammo.309226/
The velocity doesn't matter. Even if 280 AI lapua brass handloads achieve the same thing. It's all about the bullet not intruding past the neck. That is everything man! God forbid a bullet sits down past the neck inside the brass case. At that point, you can't even use the cartridge for hunting anymore!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
The velocity doesn't matter. Even if 280 AI lapua brass handloads achieve the same thing. It's all about the bullet not intruding past the neck. That is everything man! God forbid a bullet sits down past the neck inside the brass case. At that point, you can't even use the cartridge for hunting anymore!

Shhhhhhh don't tell that to my 300 Savage, I don't want it going on strike 🤫😂
Originally Posted by zcm82

You are fking nuts! Don't you dare let a bullet go beyond neck, inside that brass case! You could end up with 1 inch groups and totally miss a deer at extended range.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

If you want FPS numbers hand load a 28 Nosler...

dave
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by dave7mm

🦫

dave
I was thinking 7mm UM.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23

🦫

dave

Back about two years ago I chronoed the Nosler 175 ABLR ammo from a CA Mesa…. 3000 on the nose with that stuff. I thought to myself “self, this thing will scream with a shoveful of N570 or 33”.. grin
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the MSM.
whistle
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23

You are fking nuts! Don't you dare let a bullet go beyond neck, inside that brass case! You could end up with 1 inch groups and totally miss a deer at extended range.

Yep, and you’ll get carbon deposits on the bases of those bullets. You can’t go flinging carbon covered bullets around the countryside. 😳
Posted By: John55 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
whistle
Shouldn’t have to mention the obvious grin
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Yep, and you’ll get carbon deposits on the bases of those bullets. You can’t go flinging carbon covered bullets around the countryside. 😳

Are you fkn kidding me?! That mole hill can also turn into a mountain. Carbon is a very serious issue. It's actually in the steel that the rifle is made out of. Some folks even wrap their barrels in the stuff. Nothing will fight the bad harmonic forces of carbon on a bullet, than carbon wrapped barrels.

It can also make the shooter sick, so you gotta drink carbonated water like pelegrino.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
whistle

It’s too easy AK.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
Well I'll be go to hell, with that 3000fps advertised velocity on that Hornady ammo with the 175 eld x it appears a might optimistic.mb
Posted By: Hudge Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
No, Hornady never hyped up their rounds…
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
I found 2 different lots of 180eldm Hornady ammo to be very different so I pulled down a round from each. One had what appeared to be RL25 or 26 in it and the other had a ball powder in it that looked like staball hd.

The RL powder ones clocked about 2770 fos and the staball ones clocked 2850. This from my seeking havak element with a 22" barrel.

I don't have many rounds down it yet but I've loaded it to where I got about 2910 with a 180 but that load was fairly warm. The load I've settled in for now is a 180 at 2850 fps. I'm probably losing at least 60 fps from what a 24" barrel would get maybe even more but I like the way the 22" handles. If I were building a rifle I'd still go 22".

Bb
Posted By: John55 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
While I'm definitely not a Hornady fanboy, what I'm seeing here is a problem that all the ammo makers are facing these days, shortages of suitable propellants. Just like us folks who reload and can't find our favorite powders, they too are having the same troubles. They have to use and make do with whatever they can get in suitable quantities, and some may not be optimum for the application.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
So 2800 fps from the 7mm prc, using 175 grain bullets.

At what yardage, would this exceed a 30-06 that fires 180 grain ballistic tip boat tails at 2800 fps?

Also, I've launched 200 grain accubonds at 2750 fps in the 30-06. At what yardage will the 7mm prc exceed that 30-06 load?

So some say "reload" to get the potential. There is NO BRASS available. Brand new cartridge and hornady can't even support it. Yet they can release worthless fkn youtube videos every week blabbering about nothing. They need to get the fk to work, and support their cartridge developments with more than marketing and cartridge theory.

Stick with your 280 ai 7mm mags and 30-06's boys. There's brass everywhere.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well I'll be go to hell, with that 3000fps advertised velocity on that Hornady ammo with the 175 eld x it appears a might optimistic.mb

Yeah, I was shocked I’d tell you. 🥴

Me, initially seeing 200 plus loss at the muzzle had me shîtting myself. I ran another 5 shot speed average and settled in @ 2767 FPS. It’s not actually what I had signed up for after reading a pile of info on the chambering before I decided to jump in.

Originally Posted by Hudge
No, Hornady never hyped up their rounds…

Never heard of such a thing either. Laffin

🦫
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I found 2 different lots of 180eldm Hornady ammo to be very different so I pulled down a round from each. One had what appeared to be RL25 or 26 in it and the other had a ball powder in it that looked like staball hd.

The RL powder ones clocked about 2770 fos and the staball ones clocked 2850. This from my seeking havak element with a 22" barrel.

I don't have many rounds down it yet but I've loaded it to where I got about 2910 with a 180 but that load was fairly warm. The load I've settled in for now is a 180 at 2850 fps. I'm probably losing at least 60 fps from what a 24" barrel would get maybe even more but I like the way the 22" handles. If I were building a rifle I'd still go 22".

Bb

Interesting information, Bb.

180’s grabbing speed between 2770 and 2850 from the same rifle as mine. Yet, I couldn’t barely break 2800 with 175’s. And that’s from a sampling of 20 different boxes and 2 lot numbers of ammo.

Thank the gods I have a couple 280AI’s. Sheesh!

🦫

At what yardage, would this exceed a 30-06 that fires 180 grain ballistic tip boat tails at 2800 fps?

Also, I've launched 200 grain accubonds at 2750 fps in the 30-06. At what yardage will the 7mm prc exceed that 30-06 load?

So some say "reload" to get the potential. There is NO BRASS available. Brand new cartridge and hornady can't even support it. Yet they can release worthless fkn youtube videos every week blabbering about nothing. They need to get the fk to work, and support their cartridge developments with more than marketing and cartridge theory.

How I’m feeling right now is, I sucked the big ole delusional pipe on this chambering.

The only upside is, my Element is light and accurate. But, I could have done the same with something else.

🦫
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23

How I’m feeling right now is, I sucked the big ole delusional pipe on this chambering.

The only upside is, my Element is light and accurate. But, I could have done the same with something else.

🦫

Sht, I feel bad for yah. That's an expensive rifle to no have no brass.

I have 2 boxes of ammo left, and only have a ruger american 7mm prc.

I'm selling the fkn PRC American and keeping my 308 winchester American.
It has a 20" barrel, open sights, fed from STEEL AI mags, loves 200 grain bullets and weighs 7 lbs 6 oz.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23

I may be hitting the same pipe. Waiting to get my rifle back from my gunsmith. It will be interesting to see what the 26" barrel will do. I wonder if Hornady will drop the 3000 fps on the factory boxes. LOL. I know I will be pissed if I don't come close to 3000.

In all fairness, my Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass that I collected from factory loads is fine and figured the 7 PRC brass would be same. We shall see.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/25/23
Somehow my 280 Remington sounds better all the time
Posted By: smallfry Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Interesting thread. I’ve been on the fence building a 7mm PRC or 7mag. I still think you would not be making a bad decision building a 7mm RM.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
That 175 ELD around 2800 should still have alot of juice. Plus, I'd think bullet performance started a little slower won't be a horrible thing either.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mossberg patriot 24" tube. My paint job. Factory 175 ELDX sucked along at 2870 fps.......
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by smallfry
Interesting thread. I’ve been on the fence building a 7mm PRC or 7mag. I still think you would not be making a bad decision building a 7mm RM.

Particularly in a 700 twisted 8
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
28 Nosler 1:8. Super mild load here

Wears NX8 2.5-20 now
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
3000fps/175/7mm or close either side is a force to reckoned with! smile
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by beretzs
That 175 ELD around 2800 should still have alot of juice. Plus, I'd think bullet performance started a little slower won't be a horrible thing either.

Yeah Scotty, it should cause a good bruise. Grins.

The thing is, all the urber-hype that came out on the 7PRC’s velocity caused some heads to scratch for some of us who are seeing speeds far below what would be expected based on published information…

Heck, me chasing fps numbers, just trying to get within 100fps of what the cartridge was alleged to do, left me with a few empty boxes of ammunition I otherwise wouldn’t have had to use if their speed numbers were more realistic.

It will kill, no question. And I will likely hunt it in a few weeks for a Roosevelt.

I’m actually more interested to see how the 175gr Eld-x performs into meat/bone at 400-600 yards. This is my first rodeo using this bullet on a game animal.

🦫
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
I haven't run mine over a chrony but I built it with a 22" barrel as a compromise as I will shoot it suppressed. Would be perfectly happy with 2,800 fps with 175s, easy to shoot, ammo becoming available and those high BC bullets get better as the distance increases. The older I get, the less I care about velocity, quite happy with any cartridge in the 2700-2900 fps range (my favorite 308 load lumbers along at 2700 and kills with authority). I was slow to get interested in the 7 PRC having use a 7mm RM for the last two decades but the more time I spend with it, the more I thinks it's the ideal elk/mule deer cartridge.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
The change in the measured velocity of factory ammo and variations in powder is troublesome. The lower than stated velocities are troublesome. I'm not a velocity freak but I want something to do what it's supposed to do.

You should be able to assume you're going to get 250 fps over the 280AI with the PRC from reading published load data.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
The PRC maybe a hot item now but the 7mm Mashburn did those velocity numbers 50 yrs ago with 300 Win brass as the source. Mine will consistantly shoot .6 in groups. So even though it may be a bigger 6,5 manbun they haven't done much but reinvent the wheel.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
A lot of guys were telling y'all that the 7mm PRC is a stinkin pile of shyte, but did y'all listen ? Fk no ya didn't, some of ya slower ones defended it like it was the greatest invention to ever be dreamed up by mankind

based on case capacity alone ..... It won't do squat over what the 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem and WBY have been doing since the great flood

but hey !!!! It's so MODERN it's the bestester thing like 4eva !

I'm still laughing that so many bought the wHorenady Hype, even after all the 300 PRC bul lshit they dumped on the glazed eyed dimbulbs that call themselves gun loonies

from now on please just use loonies K ? lmao !

Other than that... the only time anything 7mm gets interesting is with 195-197 gr bullets at 3250-3300 fps

or faster
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
An "Old School" OEM Big Green 9" and small change 7mm RemMag will stabilize,Smooch and feed 180 ELD's at 2900FPS+. I've a few. Hint.

The 284 Prick wears a farrrrrrrrr shorter case length than the Mash',which simply equates to the advantages associated with MUCH better bullets. ESPECIALLY in things as fhuqking schitty,as Win Model 70's. Hint.

Many folks will simply find and do sensational things,with over the counter .796 BC's chambered same. Hint............
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
7 mm prc fans:
Posted By: easttex Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
The more I monkey with 7mm's the better I like the .280 Rem, especially if you are using bullets in the 140-160 grain range.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
A lot of guys were telling y'all that the 7mm PRC is a stinkin pile of shyte, but did y'all listen ? Fk no ya didn't, some of ya slower ones defended it like it was the greatest invention to ever be dreamed up by mankind

based on case capacity alone ..... It won't do squat over what the 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem and WBY have been doing since the great flood

but hey !!!! It's so MODERN it's the bestester thing like 4eva !

I'm still laughing that so many bought the wHorenady Hype, even after all the 300 PRC bul lshit they dumped on the glazed eyed dimbulbs that call themselves gun loonies

from now on please just use loonies K ? lmao !

Other than that... the only time anything 7mm gets interesting is with 195-197 gr bullets at 3250-3300 fps

or faster

Calm down Swamps. I didn’t buy Pom-poms or a cheerleaders outfit to go with the rifle.

🦫
Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps and if it were 140-160gr or bust in .284" bore sizing and especially in a 280,I'd simply .697 BC in 264 Kreed at 2700fps from a 21" spout. Hint.............
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
I ain't the brightest and been drinking heavily. But sensing that the prc is a poor cartridge. I've fought against being a 7 mg fan for years but starting to think it may be all it's cracked up to be
Posted By: John55 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
My Rem mag will do just fine, no trouble getting 2950 with 175s. The Mashburn does even better, 3050 is a breeze with them. Brass for either is cheap and everywhere, any brand I want. I’m not a factory ammo guy and don’t really care for Hornady brass so I’ll leave the PRC to the other folks.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Ok beretzs, fire up the Jiffy Pop, buddy. Got to the range this morning.

24 inch Douglas premium stainless barrel, SAAMI chamber cut with 4D reamer. 137 shots before this morning. Cleaned bore.

60f degrees, 1,800ft elev.

Caldwell chronograph that has been consistent and predictable with many tiny standard deviation air rifle tunes. Posts same numbers as my buddy's for what that's worth. 15 feet from the muzzle.

Burleyboy, I pulled an ELD X from the Hornady load and it is the ball powder.

I was getting a stiff bolt with some of the Hornady ELD X load previously and so shot 3 of these early with a barely warm barrel and then 3 more at the end with a very hot barrel. I was thinking maybe the cartridges were heating up in the chamber effecting the powder. I did get some difficult bolt lift with the last three but, the numbers don't show a pressure spike. Maybe a brass thing?

My rifle LOVES the Federal 175 ELD X load and the Hornady 180 ELD M load. Puts all the tested loads under an inch but these two into well under an inch. And, the Fed X load and the Horn CX load shoot to the same POI at 100.

I was really only interested in the Federal load but, threw the others in for you guys. Honestly, I don't really care how fast it is and my main concern was what beretzs alluded to. I don't want it too fast for cup and cores to work well at 50 yards.

Pretty sure the math is right. Anywho:

Federal 175 ELD X (including 1st clean bore shot which seems to be an outlier)
Average of 15 shots 2,930 f/s
SD 18.2
ES 68

Federal 175 ELD X (not including 1st clean bore shot)
Average of 14 shots 2,927 f/s
SD 14.5
ES 46

Hornady 175 ELD X
Average of 6 shots 2,876 f/s

Hornady 160 CX
Average of 3 shots 2,904 f/s

Hornady 180 ELD M
Average of 3 shots 2,812 f/s

Fed 175 X

Horn 175 X

Horn 160 CX

Horn 180 M

Fed 175 X
forgot to look
forgot to look

Horn 175 X
Obviously,the 284 Prick will gain traction,as it simply connects alotta dots,for lotsa' folks. Hint.

I'd be VERY fhuqking impressed,if someone has more disdain for Hornie brass,than I. You gotta go Norma and fhuqking Peterson,to do worse. THAT is fhuqking impressive! Hint.(grin)

The Hornie .284" 175 ELD X stomps schit like 175 Nuzzler Partitions,but is just shy of .264 147 ELD M BC's. Hint.

I'd MUCH rather shoot the higher BC 180 in a lesser case,rather than suffer parachutes pushed faster,in a longer action,barrel,much more powder and less fhuqking FUN. Which is why the Mash' is a Goat Fhuqk. I shoot the 180 at 2800fps+ in multiple 7 Whizzum's. Hint.............
Posted By: noKnees Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Stick... what brass you use in the WSM?
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Obviously,the 284 Prick will gain traction,as it simply connects alotta dots,for lotsa' folks. Hint.

I'd be VERY fhuqking impressed,if someone has more disdain for Hornie brass,than I. You gotta go Norma and fhuqking Peterson,to do worse. THAT is fhuqking impressive! Hint.(grin)

The Hornie .284" 175 ELD X stomps schit like 175 Nuzzler Partitions,but is just shy of .264 147 ELD M BC's. Hint.

I'd MUCH rather shoot the higher BC 180 in a lesser case,rather than suffer parachutes pushed faster,in a longer action,barrel,much more powder and less fhuqking FUN. Which is why the Mash' is a Goat Fhuqk. I shoot the 180 at 2800fps+ in multiple 7 Whizzum's. Hint.............

Wtf. Maybe I'm too drunk. Where are you on the prc bs? I was almost tempted to buy one.
I scored a rather good Lot of FGM 300 Whizzum brass. Bought a herd,so I could Hoard the Horde. Hint...............(grin)
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
BS can't handle anything better than the 7mm Rem Mag (recoil n stuff y'know)

so of course he's gagging on wHorenady's 7mm PRiCk, being that he's all Hornied & ELDseX'd up already as it is
Posted By: GregW Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23

I unfortunately do better than 2800 with a 168 using 57 grains of powder and a 22" barrel...grin....
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Wtf. Maybe I'm too drunk. Where are you on the prc bs? I was almost tempted to buy one.

It's a sound design,has support,but is early in the relative grand scheme of The Game. Hint.

I have LOTS of wares of the ilk,so I'm in a VERY different boat than most. Bullets matter more than anything and by a goodly margin,then such things as logistics and brass quality. I'd simply weigh accurately,the intent and purpose,then extrapolate in kind. Do you reload? Are you buying a Factory Rifle or going Custom? Heavy? Light? Medium perhaps? The more concise you can be,the easier it is to point the course. Hint.

In broad brushstrokes,the 284 Prick brings a pile driving ass to the table,over the counter. It stands largely alone there. Why? Bullets,bullets and bullets. Hint.............
Posted By: irfubar Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
I like old school with a new twist.... 22 Creed... pffft... years ago I did a 220 swift with an 1/8 twist... today I would build a 7mm rem with 1/8 twist and be ahead of those waiting for 7prc brass.... hahahhaha
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/26/23
In broad brushstrokes, the 284 Prick brings a pile driving ass to the table,over the counter. It stands largely alone there. Why? Bullets,bullets and bullets. Hint.............

I don't shoot much, and I'm invested in the 264 Prick, along with the Kreed. But for a new shooter, the 7 PRC may be the ticket.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Perhaps even more punctuation,would make her Imagination and Pretend better,to add even more "satisfaction" to the equation? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: irfubar Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
In broad brushstrokes, the 284 Prick brings a pile driving ass to the table,over the counter. It stands largely alone there. Why? Bullets,bullets and bullets. Hint.............

I don't shoot much, and I'm invested in the 264 Prick, along with the Kreed. But for a new shooter, the 7 PRC may be the ticket.
WTF are you talking about? ......264 prick?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by irfubar

6.5 PRC.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23

6.5 PRC
"Surprisingly!",she can't Google fast enough and falls reliably upon zero knowledge. Hint...............

6.5 PRC

Why didn't you say just say PRC?
I had one of those years before Hornadys marketing team dreamed that schit up, it was called a 6.5-06 and yes it had 1/8 twist
Just using BS' slang. I like it.
May I?
Just using BS' slang. I like it.
May I?

No!!! only I can... smile
I do like the slang "Salvage" the rest seems childish to me... wink
No!!! only I can... smile
I do like the slang "Salvage" the rest seems childish to me... wink

Settled! Back to the topic now.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Ok beretzs, fire up the Jiffy Pop, buddy. Got to the range this morning.

24 inch Douglas premium stainless barrel, SAAMI chamber cut with 4D reamer. 137 shots before this morning. Cleaned bore.

60f degrees, 1,800ft elev.

Caldwell chronograph that has been consistent and predictable with many tiny standard deviation air rifle tunes. Posts same numbers as my buddy's for what that's worth. 15 feet from the muzzle.

Burleyboy, I pulled an ELD X from the Hornady load and it is the ball powder.

I was getting a stiff bolt with some of the Hornady ELD X load previously and so shot 3 of these early with a barely warm barrel and then 3 more at the end with a very hot barrel. I was thinking maybe the cartridges were heating up in the chamber effecting the powder. I did get some difficult bolt lift with the last three but, the numbers don't show a pressure spike. Maybe a brass thing?

My rifle LOVES the Federal 175 ELD X load and the Hornady 180 ELD M load. Puts all the tested loads under an inch but these two into well under an inch. And, the Fed X load and the Horn CX load shoot to the same POI at 100.

I was really only interested in the Federal load but, threw the others in for you guys. Honestly, I don't really care how fast it is and my main concern was what beretzs alluded to. I don't want it too fast for cup and cores to work well at 50 yards.

Pretty sure the math is right. Anywho:

Federal 175 ELD X (including 1st clean bore shot which seems to be an outlier)
Average of 15 shots 2,930 f/s
SD 18.2
ES 68

Federal 175 ELD X (not including 1st clean bore shot)
Average of 14 shots 2,927 f/s
SD 14.5
ES 46

Hornady 175 ELD X
Average of 6 shots 2,876 f/s

Hornady 160 CX
Average of 3 shots 2,904 f/s

Hornady 180 ELD M
Average of 3 shots 2,812 f/s

Fed 175 X

Horn 175 X

Horn 160 CX

Horn 180 M

Fed 175 X
forgot to look
forgot to look

Horn 175 X

I could live happily with that. Especially if it's accurate. Thanks for posting up the numbers.
Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,especially with punctuation,under the guise of Imaginary Pretend Ignore. Hint...............

Yeah Scotty, it should cause a good bruise. Grins.

The thing is, all the urber-hype that came out on the 7PRC’s velocity caused some heads to scratch for some of us who are seeing speeds far below what would be expected based on published information…

Heck, me chasing fps numbers, just trying to get within 100fps of what the cartridge was alleged to do, left me with a few empty boxes of ammunition I otherwise wouldn’t have had to use if their speed numbers were more realistic.

It will kill, no question. And I will likely hunt it in a few weeks for a Roosevelt.

I’m actually more interested to see how the 175gr Eld-x performs into meat/bone at 400-600 yards. This is my first rodeo using this bullet on a game animal.

🦫

I did it a couple years back with the 212 ELD from the 06 and it was great on a small 5x5. I would be happy to use the 175 ELD under the same. While they won't look like an Accubond when you recover them, they will dig pretty deep. I'd be a cat in a rockin chair factory putting the 175/180's into elk bones at 3000-3100 up close myself. Slowed down a bit, they act normal and man they churn stuff.
You boys are talking a 21" 1-8" RPM 7-08 with 180's at 2600fps,rather purty. Hint...................(grin)
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
The 7 prc offers a good bit for the factory shooter but doesn’t impress me with their marketing,

I’ve had 1:8 7 mags that easily get an 180 to 3k and currently use a 1:8 7 saum on an anti x xm action as my do all rifle. Brand new barrel and new ADG brass so I’m taking it somewhat easy yet but shooting 180 hybrids at 2835 fps from a 24” barrel. Will see what’s what after all my brass is formed and barrel speeds up but I’m guessing it will land solidly in the 2925-2950 fps area.

The PRC has some decent attributes but many rounds will do the same.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Of course, I’ve had 8” twist barrels chambered in 7RM and 7WSM, typically 24-26” in length, that push a 180 to 2930-3000 fps, but the main advantage of the PRC, IMO, is factory rifles in 8” twist.
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
the main advantage of the PRC, IMO, is factory rifles in 8” twist.

And that, in a nutshell, is it.
The 284 Prick's case length by default,"extends" mag boxes. That will do sincere favors,to all things not Rem 700. Schitty Winchesters already cited and Hurt Feeler Fact Reports are flooding the gates. Hint.

I personally could give less than ZERO fhuqks about an extra couple "clicks" on an erector at the 1000yd line and have long been HAPPY,with simply letting the bullet do the work. Couple same with a scope that will reliably arrange POA/POI intersections and cross fingers that the wind is fhuqking howling,to keep schit "fair". Hint.

180's or bust,for me. Hint...............
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
Originally Posted by Docbill
The PRC maybe a hot item now but the 7mm Mashburn did those velocity numbers 50 yrs ago with 300 Win brass as the source. Mine will consistantly shoot .6 in groups. So even though it may be a bigger 6,5 manbun they haven't done much but reinvent the wheel.

"they haven't done much but reinvent the wheel".

The wheel hasn't been reinvented in over 100 years since the 30-06 was introduced. You can say the same thing about the bolt action rifle and the introduction of the 1898 Mauser. Everything since has been a matter of tweaks here and there of something that's already been done. Try to find Mashburn (the manbun of the 1950s) ammo at Midway!
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
the main advantage of the PRC, IMO, is factory rifles in 8” twist.

And that, in a nutshell, is it.

Remington list the current 7 mm mag as having a 1/8 twist
If only because I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

The Mash' was a MUCH better cartridge in 1950,than it is Today. Why? The advent of KNOWN Distance,ala LRF. That conjoined with Today's bullets,mechanically allows a farrrrr lesser case capacity and vastly fhuqking superior projectile,to STOMP it. As plainly cited,the Mash' hasn't the COAL requisite,to do ANY fhuqking favors Today. Hint.

In The Day however,you simply added all the fuel you could to the equation and launched schit(literally),as fast as fhuqking possible,to hedge UKD. Them days are wayyyyyyyy gone. Hint.

Also as plainly cited,Big Green's "Old School" 7mm RemMag RPM,stabilizes the .796 180 ELD,just fine. That at Low Tide and in Winter. The 8" is VERY welcomed,but required much more in say 7-08,rather than 7mm RemMag,because Gross RPM is that which factors stability. The Em-Em's velocity advantage,capably carries it over that threshold. Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Though I have 'em(7mm RemMag) in 8" too. Hint.

Just sayin'...............
Man, you guys are rough on the old Mashburn and 70’s..

I’m taking my ball and going home..

Screw you guys whistle grin

I think most all of the 7’s are pretty wicked hunting rifles set up correct. It’d be something to see 7 Rem Ammo loaded with 175/180’s with the box marked for 1-8 twist or something like that.
Like any/all other things,not everything is "equal" or close. Hint.

I've only had a couple 7 STW's(we all did),30 STW's/Super's and even suffered a 30-378. Contemplated a 257 STW,but thankfully,Technology saved me. Of course I drove multiple 375 H&H AI's(5) and shot out a 378 Wby. BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. Such things,make extrapolations rather EASY and I've zero regrets on the journey(s). Hint.

BEWARE the man with one rifle...because he doesn't know a fhuqking thing. Hint................(grin)
BEWARE the man with one rifle...because he doesn't know a fhuqking thing. Hint................(grin)

Ha! Yeah, might’ve been true in 1947.. today, you’re spot on. Insert ear plugs and walk away.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/27/23
And to think all I had for 15 years plus was a low life 280 Ackley Improved and a 140g Nosler Ballistic tip.......
And to think all I had for 15 years plus was a low life 280 Ackley Improved and a 140g Nosler Ballistic tip.......

Ha.. I think you’ve pushed past that point now though.

Gawd, you have a pickup box full of good ones.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/28/23
Also as plainly cited,Big Green's "Old School" 7mm RemMag RPM,stabilizes the .796 180 ELD,just fine. That at Low Tide and in Winter. The 8" is VERY welcomed,but required much more in say 7-08,rather than 7mm RemMag,because Gross RPM is that which factors stability. The Em-Em's velocity advantage,capably carries it over that threshold. Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.
I like an 8" twist in .284", whether in 7RM or 7-08, for launching 180s. Like you said, it's not mission critical, but I like to have it. That's mostly because, in 7mm, a change of 400 fps in MV equates to approximately ~0.25" in twist rate, for a given level of stability. It gives me the warm fuzzy to get my bullets spinning so their SG is over 1.5 and eeking out all the BC possible.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/28/23
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/28/23
7 rem mag twisted 8. Don't reinvent the wheel guys. A 280 rem with an 8 twist launching 160s will keep in stride with the "precision" rifle cartridge. If your after horse power, grab a 28 nosler, shoot a 180, and be happy. That 7 prc is just another cartridge.

"Precision Rifle Cartridge" lmao. What a crock of schit.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/28/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
OK will confess to LOL'ing at this.

Also, the one rifle hunter depends on the purpose of the rifle. For long range or target stuff, sure. For putting meat in the freezer, I know a couple hunters who've been using a 280 and a 270, respectively, for 50+ years and have killed more deer, elk, and hogs than I'll ever see in my life.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23
Originally Posted by Coyote10
7 rem mag twisted 8. Don't reinvent the wheel guys. A 280 rem with an 8 twist launching 160s will keep in stride with the "precision" rifle cartridge. If your after horse power, grab a 28 nosler, shoot a 180, and be happy. That 7 prc is just another cartridge.

"Precision Rifle Cartridge" lmao. What a crock of schit.

"Precision Rifle Cartridge" lmao. What a crock of schit.?

Would you like to elaborate? It's a pretty good improvement over the 7mm RM and just about any 7mm available today.
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23
Another cartridge to get into your pocket. You can seat a bullet out and fill the case. So what, people have been doing that with wildcats for 75 years. You can buy a factory rifle, I get it, but they aren't spec'd out like a custom, unless you wanna drop 3 grand on a carbon fiber this or that. That 7prc will get 100 feet per second over a boring old 7 mag set up factory. Build a 7 mag throated for 180s and all of a sudden your neck and neck, if not better. The king of the 7s is the ultra or stw. But, those aren't apples to apples. Lots of powder, different deal. If I'm dropping coin on a 7, it's gonna be a 7x300 win mag. All that said, a 7 rem mag, 1:8, throated properly, will stay in pace with a prc. May take some experimenting with components, but it can be done.
I've hunted with a custom 7mm RM almost exclusively for the past two decades and it's a great cartridge, so it the 280 but I don't handload anymore so factory fodder that's available and affordable (one of the reason I sold my two Weatherby chambered rifles) counts to me. The 7mm PRC may be a bit much for southern deer hunters where shots are generally close but I see it as peerless for elk and mule deer. Faster isn't always better, with velocity comes recoil. The PRC (call it what you like) is effective, accurate, easy to shoot and purpose designed for long, high BC projectiles. I'd fancy the 280 with 160s but my loading gear is packed up and not likely to be dusted off anytime soon.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should abandon their 7 RM or 280 but in my case, building DIY rifles is entertaining so why not pick a cartridge that lives up the the billing. I screwed a Proof barrel to my Defiance receiver and shot .574" three shot with factory ammo first trip to the range, what's not to like?

Different cartridge, same result. Next.
Posted By: LSU fan Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23

So what “different result” are you looking for?

Not really!
Originally Posted by LSU fan

So what “different result” are you looking for?

Same result. Not "different result"
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Not really!

Explain. What is the benefits of a prc? Fatter case? Shorter case? Seat a bullet out further? You can do that with a 7 rem also. Must be the precision part.

Not really!

Explain. What is the benefits of a prc? Fatter case? Shorter case? Seat a bullet out further? You can do that with a 7 rem also. Must be the precision part.

Higher velocity
Beltless (belts serve no practical purpose on modern cartridges except the 300 H&H) and they make cartridges wonky in magazines and take up space.
Proper neck
Modern shoulder for better accuracty
High BC bullets don't intrude into case

The 7mm RM is a great cartridge, especially for 140-160s but the PRC is simply better when the game is larger and the distance is longer.
What game? Cause if it's to big for a 7 mag, then I'm grabbing 30 or 338.
I might assume your talking about large game at further distance, if thats the case, and I'm shooting anything past 600, it'll have an appropriate scope and burn powder, like an ultra, stw, or nosler. The 7 LRM was supposed to be the greatest, til everyone realized grandpa's 7 rem was just as good. The 7 WSM, great cartridge, feeds like schit, and gives 7 rem mag velocity. Just get a 7 mag. Screw on a good pipe to a trued receiver, throat it for 180s and whoop some azz.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23
Cryote,

You are Pretending aloud,if only AGAIN...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a pic of "your" 7mm RemMag with a 180. HINT.

Then wax eloquent upon "your" 7 Whizzums that "fed like schit". Go ahead and dangle pics there too. Hint.

Dangle a pic of "your" "appropriate scope". Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute",albeit with Delusional Fantasy. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Cryote,

You are Pretending aloud,if only AGAIN...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a pic of "your" 7mm RemMag with a 180. HINT.

Then wax eloquent upon "your" 7 Whizzums that "fed like schit". Go ahead and dangle pics there too. Hint.

Dangle a pic of "your" "appropriate scope". Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute",albeit with Delusional Fantasy. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Ha. Stick, I can't say I can blame you for asking for credentials. No pretending here my friend. You continue to make me laugh with your post. I'm out on this topic for now, but hey I know your a 7 mag guy with 180s.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23
Cryote,

You were NEVER "in" anything,other than in your Imagination and Pretend...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
You the man stick. You the man.😏
I don't post pics, don't need to.
Post us another ring lapping segment.....
Elk, mule deer, bear, moose, etc...
Elk, mule deer, bear, moose, etc...

Moose and bear, like grizzlies, not black teddy bears maybe, but mulies and elk? Seriously? Now, mulies and elk past 600, OK, more horse, more bullet, other than that, nah, that 7 rem is perfect
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/30/23
Nothing wrong with the 7RM, but there is no relative downside to the 7PRC, IMO. More modern chamber and throat specs, fits in a standard-length action better with long bullets, factory 8" twist rates and quality ammo, etc. Brass availability is the only possible argument there, but that's a temporary issue.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
I could live happily with that. Especially if it's accurate. Thanks for posting up the numbers.

My pleasure!
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
You boys are talking a 21" 1-8" RPM 7-08 with 180's at 2600fps,rather purty. Hint...................(grin)

After handling a couple 5 lb rifles, I'm not as eager to get one as I once was. But, I still really want one and this might be the perfect 5 lb rifle recipe.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
My (fuzzy photo) 7mm RM isn't going anywhere, it's been a faithful companion for going on 25 years, a Win 70 with a Shilen tube and a discounted Brown Precision stock from Brownells and a Zeiss Diavari. Still, when considering the choice of a 7mm RM or a 300WM, the 7 PRC is the ideal compromise, the best of both without the downsides of either. I was slow to adopt the PRC but it's really a great "tweak" of cartridge evolution, albeit a very slow evolution since 1892 and the 7x57 (think about what's happened in the last 125+ years, man on the moon, super computers in the palm of our hands and then cartridges (crickets...).

Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
Shoot an animal with them both. You won't tell the difference. If you need a 300 win mag, then why compromise? Only one classification of dead. My deer gun, my elk gun, my this, my that. 7 mag will do it all so will a 300 and then some, but the notion of a cartridge to take the place of both is hilarious.
Shoot an animal with them both. You won't tell the difference. If you need a 300 win mag, then why compromise? Only one classification of dead. My deer gun, my elk gun, my this, my that. 7 mag will do it all so will a 300 and then some, but the notion of a cartridge to take the place of both is hilarious.

Not hilarious, reality! The 7 PRC is your huckleberry!

300 WM, 178 ELDX, 2960 FPS
7mm PRC, 175 ELDX, 3000 FPS (higher BC bullet, better long range ballistics)

Not hilarious, reality! The 7 PRC is your huckleberry!

300 WM, 178 ELDX, 2960 FPS
7mm PRC, 175 ELDX, 3000 FPS (higher BC bullet, better long range ballistics)

That's pretty good but,

7 rem mag with a 175 and 62.0 RE-22 @ 2950
300WM with a 200 and 70.0 h4831 at 2910.

Those aren't even hot loads.

7 rem mag boys. The best of the 7s lol
The poor old 280 rem with a 175 can get 2750 no problem.
Watch me go buy a 7 prc😁
Watch me go buy a 7 prc😁

You're comparing apples to oranges, handloaders have the advantage with the PRC and RM but I'm more concerned with factory fodder for the masses (I handloaded, 32 dies sets and counting) but I don't now and may not ever again. Only interest in readily available and affordable factory fodder.

The 7 RM and 300 WM are great cartridges but their glory days are behind them, they will trail off in new rifle sales as there are simple better options available to rifle builders and buyers.
Watch me go buy a 7 prc😁

You're comparing apples to oranges, handloaders have the advantage with the PRC and RM but I'm more concerned with factory fodder for the masses (I handloaded, 32 dies sets and counting) but I don't now and may not ever again. Only interest in readily available and affordable factory fodder.

The 7 RM and 300 WM are great cartridges but their glory days are behind them, they will trail off in new rifle sales as there are simple better options available to rifle builders and buyers.

I can understand that. Each to their own.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
Watch me go buy a 7 prc😁

How many rounds have you fired through a 7 PRC?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Watch me go buy a 7 prc😁

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.
And past 450 or 500, it's all in the scope. Energy is there. Dial and let it eat. .284 caliber downrange is a .284 caliber downrange in those 2 cartridges.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
Interesting posts, folks. I am surprised at the low velocities folks have reported with the 7 PRC and 175s. Factory 175 TGK loads for the 6.8 Western are spec'ed at 2830', and I easily get 2850' in my 1:8 270 WSM with the 175 TGK - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table but it shoots great at that speed. I got a bit spooked by those types of velocities in the short case (basically the same as 7 RM published max loads with the 175) until I reconsidered the 7RM is a 60K SAAMI cartridge - lots of headroom with that round for handloaders. So comparing the 63K PSI 7PRC to the 60K PSI 7RM isn't really fair. Not sure if that point's been made so far in this thread. Handloaders can load both the same pressure and there won't be much difference - twist and throats being equal.
The "bullet shank below the neck" talk happens with the 6.8W / 270WSM crowd too, and I admit I don't get it at all. The further forward shoulder just means more case capacity, as long as the ogive doesn't get too close to the case mouth. The 270WSM has a 16% case capacity increase over the 6.8W (water to the case mouths) and a 20% increase to fill the case under a 175 TGK seated to OAL. This in identical actions - why not use the bigger case? Haven't compared the capacities of the 7PRC and the 7RM - anybody know?

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Interesting posts, folks. I am surprised at the low velocities folks have reported with the 7 PRC and 175s. Factory 175 TGK loads for the 6.8 Western are spec'ed at 2830', and I easily get 2850' in my 1:8 270 WSM with the 175 TGK - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table but it shoots great at that speed. I got a bit spooked by those types of velocities in the short case (basically the same as 7 RM published max loads with the 175) until I reconsidered the 7RM is a 60K SAAMI cartridge - lots of headroom with that round for handloaders. So comparing the 63K PSI 7PRC to the 60K PSI 7RM isn't really fair. Not sure if that point's been made so far in this thread. Handloaders can load both the same pressure and there won't be much difference - twist and throats being equal.
The "bullet shank below the neck" talk happens with the 6.8W / 270WSM crowd too, and I admit I don't get it at all. The further forward shoulder just means more case capacity, as long as the ogive doesn't get too close to the case mouth. The 270WSM has a 16% case capacity increase over the 6.8W (water to the case mouths) and a 20% increase to fill the case under a 175 TGK seated to OAL. This in identical actions - why not use the bigger case? Haven't compared the capacities of the 7PRC and the 7RM - anybody know?

Cheers,
Rex

Rex, solid points, case capacity RM = 85 gr H2O, PRC 82

Good article: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/handloading-the-7mm-prc/470401

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.[/quote]

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

I ain't against nothing. If I wanted more that a 7 rem, I'd grab a RUM, which I did. I just think it doesn't offer a whole lot more than the rem mag.
People also seem to forget that a million years ago, Roy came up with a 7mm Wby. Roll your own with a fast twist barrel and it'll blow your hair back. Shoot premium wby ammo and the 10 twist will stabilize a 160ish grainer and smoke both.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23
Pretty funny that a 7 wby is the same cartridge when you pull the trigger isn't it? Could have at least used an attractive woman, sheesh.
I've owned a couple Wby chambered rifles, Win 70s in 240 and 257 Wby, I liked the rifles, didn't like expensive and generally unavailable ammo. Wby loads hot, you have to really pay attention if you're going "roll your own" and meet or beat factory velocities.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 10/31/23

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.

I hear that. Bob taught me to build 1-8 7 Rems and Mashburns with 3.6" mag boxes years ago, with good throats suited to the bullets you wanna use. To me, the new PRC is a great cartridge, but it's nothing we haven't been doing for a handful of years now. Granted, being able to buy boxed 175's is a good deal for sure for a fella like 257, his points are valid there.

Don't get me wrong, there aren't many cartridges that I don't enjoy for one reason or the other, but nothing created or is likely going to be created that makes me wanna build something different than a Mashburn or Rem Mag, as long as quality cases exist. I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/quote]

What scope mounts are those and how do you like them?
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23
I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.
You mean, like a 28 Nosler?

dave
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23
I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.

dave

If I laid into ADG I'd be A-Ok with that too Dave. Heck, the 28 came out the same week my first Mashburn was getting built. If it were a week earlier I may be singing your song which aint a bad song whistle
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23

dave

If I laid into ADG I'd be A-Ok with that too Dave. Heck, the 28 came out the same week my first Mashburn was getting built. If it were a week earlier I may be singing your song which aint a bad song whistle

28 nolser's a good one!

Still favor the the rem mag, but a 28 nosler is the cream of the crop. Scotty's mashburn may the best of the 7s in my book and is the logical answer to a build. 6 one way, half a dozen the other
Alot of people pan Nosler brass.
Didn't say you did.
I used Nosler 300 SAUM brass for years in 1000 yard matches .
Did very well with it.No issues.
Only did a load development on the 28.
Using Nosler brass.
No issues so far.
dave
Alot of people pan Nosler brass.
Didn't say you did.
I used Nosler 300 SAUM brass for years in 1000 yard matches .
Did very well with it.No issues.
Only did a load development on the 28.
Using Nosler brass.
No issues so far.
dave

I just didn't like how soft the pockets were. I used it for my cousins load work and it was ok. Knowing ADG is out there, I'd probably try to scrape some up.
I enjoyed my time with the Mashburn.
It was a fun project.
I'm a 280 AI guy at heart.
Ha.
Scottys got me talked into the 28 for deer this year....
dave
If I ever get the 30 Nosler squared away.
I'll try the ADG on it.
dave
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I didn't say what you quoted...
It was a fun project.
Ha.
dave

You almost make me wanna try the Mashburn, just to see what happens..
Just don't use a Berger hunting bullet.
dave
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23
It was a fun project.
Ha.
dave

You almost make me wanna try the Mashburn, just to see what happens..

You know what will happen, pull the trigger and critters will die. Meat in the freezer.
I preach interlock. Like the eldx. Alot. Berger has never failed me either. Wouldn't hesitate to load one in a 7. Dang it, now I want a mashburn....
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/01/23

What scope mounts are those and how do you like them?[/quote]

They are ARC: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024428347?pid=486103

I like them a lot, have three sets, ordering another today. They are expensive but most good pic rings are $100+ these days so it just a little extra. Solid as a bank vault, incredibly simply and easy to install.

My apologies Brad!
I would be very content to hunt with a 280 stoked with 160 Nosler Partitions but the 7 PRC is just easier for me, ammo and pre-fit barrels easy to come by...
The 280 rem with 162 eldxs is what I grab right now, doubt the new will wear off this one!

My apologies Brad!

No problem, just wanted to be clear I'm not a reactionary old fart! smile

Aside, if I wanted a 7 Mag (which I don't), I'd dive in with the 7 PRC.
The more money I spend on rifles (I'm culling the herd to finance new spending) the more I want to enjoy shooting them and with age, I find little enjoyment in recoil. The 7 PRC turns out to be very easy to shoot without much punishment, 22" barrel with a suppresser. My last three builds were 308, 6.5 CM and the 7 PRC and I enjoy shooting them all, the CM the most.
The more money I spend on rifles (I'm culling the herd to finance new spending) the more I want to enjoy shooting them and with age, I find little enjoyment in recoil. The 7 PRC turns out to be very easy to shoot without much punishment, 22" barrel with a suppresser. My last three builds were 308, 6.5 CM and the 7 PRC and I enjoy shooting them all, the CM the most.

I'm down to three 308's, two 6.5 CM's, a 257 Rob and 270 Win, so I'm pretty squarely in your camp. I sold-off my last magnum, a 300 WSM, about 6 years ago, and have no plans to ever acquire another. When I first moved to Montana I was fairly certain a 22" bbl'd 338 WM was ideal for elk, and it probably is. I killed elk with it, but I saw my friends having the same results with stuff like the 270 Win, so I slowly made the change to cartridges like the 30-06, 308, 7-08 and 270. And, no surprise, they killed elk as dead as my 338 WM's and 300 WSM's, but were far more fun to shoot, and could be built far lighter.

Were I interested in LR elk killing I'd probably build a 6.5 PRC on a lightweight platform, or a suppressed 7mm PRC. But, practically speaking, I still don't believe they have anything over a plain-jane 270 Win inside 500 yards, and I have no interest shooting game at that sort of range anyway.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/11/23
Well guys the 160gr CX that killed this deer was going all of my chrono'd 2,904fps because he was actually a tad closer to me than the chronograph was. Still-hunting some thick stuff, saw him at 25yds trotting. Shot him at 15yds quartering away, one shot, took out half the heart and made the off-side shoulder into a bag of bones and exited. He didn't make it 10yds and piled up. Might be the shortest shot on game for the 7PRC as a cartridge to date! laugh Love my new short range woods gun!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23
A beautiful Vermont buck!
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23
Thanks, Brad!
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23
Well guys the 160gr CX that killed this deer was going all of my chrono'd 2,904fps because he was actually a tad closer to me than the chronograph was. Still-hunting some thick stuff, saw him at 25yds trotting. Shot him at 15yds quartering away, one shot, took out half the heart and made the off-side shoulder into a bag of bones and exited. He didn't make it 10yds and piled up. Might be the shortest shot on game for the 7PRC as a cartridge to date! laugh Love my new short range woods gun!

[Linked Image]

Dandy buck, and a good looking rifle too!

Your rifle looks nice and trim, and pretty light.

Seems like you've got it loaded pretty light too. Is that for accuracy, or for recoil management?
Posted By: bwinters Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23
Nice buck!

Specs on that rifle?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23

[Linked Image]

Boy, that is cooler than the other side of the pillow! What a great VT buck and happy as heck that your rifle has counted coup!
Posted By: Teeder Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/12/23
Very nice!
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/13/23
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words!

WhelenAway and bwinters,

The load is the Hornady Outfitter with the monolithic CX bullet. It's actually kind of heavy for a .284 copper bullet. It is sub MOA in this rifle. The recoil must be somewhat less than the 175/180 gr loads but, not so much that I notice it.

The rifle is a Colt Light Rifle that Outkast Arms gave the NULA treatment. The Colt Light Rifle was based on the NULA 28 which was a medium magnum action. Basically, the only things original are the action, recoil lug, and bolt, though they replace the firing pin spring. New mag box, spring and follower, Timney trigger that locks the bolt on safe, NULA style stock, Douglas stainless barrel, the donor was a .270 so they opened the boltface, drilled and tapped for 8-40 scope base screws, and bent the bolt handle to clear the ocular on a low mounted scope with a big Euro ocular. You don't have to do all that but I did. Bare rifle weighs 5.98 lbs. As you see it in the picture - scoped, slung and fully loaded it's 7.56 lbs. That's with a 24" #2 contour barrel.

The main compromises are that it holds two in the mag not three, and the OAL in the mag is short for a long action at 3.34".

My main worries were close range terminal performance - I'm used to 180 gr round-nosed Corelokts from an 18 1/2" barreled .30-06 - much slower and right where you want a cup and core at close range. The CX laid those concerns to rest. And also, the more barrel heavy balance. The shot was not a see/hear him at 30 yds when he's already banging-through-gears-for-the-next-county quick but, it was quick enough for any issues to be apparent. It was all magic. The rifle disappears, you look where you want the bullet to go and there's the reticle. FAST. The reticle felt more planted and glued than I'm used to but, otherwise just as quick. I was told about this on here but only half believed it. I've always been more of an ergonomics guy than a ballistics guy and when that magic combination of stock fit, weight, balance, scope height, magnification, eye-box, and trigger all works together, I get a little misty eyed. I love talking about this rifle, my fingers aren't tired and I'm not prideful, but I'll stop there.

Anywho, there's the specs and a bit more.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/13/23
Sounds like a tailor made rifle for you and you should be darned proud. It’s a helluva good set up.
I'm happy with it for sure. Thanks, beretzs. Happy belated Veterans' Day by the way.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/13/23
I'm happy with it for sure. Thanks, beretz. Happy belated Veterans' Day by the way.

Thank you kindly sir.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/13/23
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words!

WhelenAway and bwinters,

The load is the Hornady Outfitter with the monolithic CX bullet. It's actually kind of heavy for a .284 copper bullet. It is sub MOA in this rifle. The recoil must be somewhat less than the 175/180 gr loads but, not so much that I notice it.

The rifle is a Colt Light Rifle that Outkast Arms gave the NULA treatment. The Colt Light Rifle was based on the NULA 28 which was a medium magnum action. Basically, the only things original are the action, recoil lug, and bolt, though they replace the firing pin spring. New mag box, spring and follower, Timney trigger that locks the bolt on safe, NULA style stock, Douglas stainless barrel, the donor was a .270 so they opened the boltface, drilled and tapped for 8-40 scope base screws, and bent the bolt handle to clear the ocular on a low mounted scope with a big Euro ocular. You don't have to do all that but I did. Bare rifle weighs 5.98 lbs. As you see it in the picture - scoped, slung and fully loaded it's 7.56 lbs. That's with a 24" #2 contour barrel.

The main compromises are that it holds two in the mag not three, and the OAL in the mag is short for a long action at 3.34".

My main worries were close range terminal performance - I'm used to 180 gr round-nosed Corelokts from an 18 1/2" barreled .30-06 - much slower and right where you want a cup and core at close range. The CX laid those concerns to rest. And also, the more barrel heavy balance. The shot was not a see/hear him at 30 yds when he's already banging-through-gears-for-the-next-county quick but, it was quick enough for any issues to be apparent. It was all magic. The rifle disappears, you look where you want the bullet to go and there's the reticle. FAST. The reticle felt more planted and glued than I'm used to but, otherwise just as quick. I was told about this on here but only half believed it. I've always been more of an ergonomics guy than a ballistics guy and when that magic combination of stock fit, weight, balance, scope height, magnification, eye-box, and trigger all works together, I get a little misty eyed. I love talking about this rifle, my fingers aren't tired and I'm not prideful, but I'll stop there.

Anywho, there's the specs and a bit more.

I don't blame you for being excited about your rifle. it sounds very well thought out, and looks like one I would love to carry.

And I understand completely your excitement about your (1st ?) kill with it, and how it went down. I hunt in dense woods too, and really enjoy the excitement of a close encounter with a whitetail buck, especially when everything goes just right. My first big buck was shot at about 20 yards going away fast, after passing by me at about 10 feet coming from behind. He was within 2 feet of escaping between two young pines when my bullet took him, angling forward through pump room. Luckily the doe he was chasing alerted me, or I might not have even got him. I really enjoy the action at very close range, and after hunting the beanfields for several years, I have gone back into the thick cover. Though successful, I just didn't enjoy hunting over the beanfields as much.

I have quite a few bolt and lever action rifles, but my little 308 BAR is becoming my favorite for tight cover hunting. It's a limited run matte black stalker with an 18" fluted barrel, and is a 3/4" gun with factory ammo. I shoot the rifle very well, and killed a doe a few years ago over the beanfield at a lasered 225 yards.

I realize that 160gr is a upper weight 7mm bullet, but was expecting a bit more velocity. And I didn't realize it was a factory load. I shoot the 162ELDX in my 280AI's, and both rifles get a little over 3000 fps with RL26 (when I can get it). Guessing Hornady needs to throttle the CX bullet down a little to due to the larger bearing surface of the long mono bullet.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I don't blame you for being excited about your rifle. it sounds very well thought out, and looks like one I would love to carry.

And I understand completely your excitement about your (1st ?) kill with it, and how it went down. I hunt in dense woods too, and really enjoy the excitement of a close encounter with a whitetail buck, especially when everything goes just right. My first big buck was shot at about 20 yards going away fast, after passing by me at about 10 feet coming from behind. He was within 2 feet of escaping between two young pines when my bullet took him, angling forward through pump room. Luckily the doe he was chasing alerted me, or I might not have even got him. I really enjoy the action at very close range, and after hunting the beanfields for several years, I have gone back into the thick cover. Though successful, I just didn't enjoy hunting over the beanfields as much.

I have quite a few bolt and lever action rifles, but my little 308 BAR is becoming my favorite for tight cover hunting. It's a limited run matte black stalker with an 18" fluted barrel, and is a 3/4" gun with factory ammo. I shoot the rifle very well, and killed a doe a few years ago over the beanfield at a lasered 225 yards.

I realize that 160gr is a upper weight 7mm bullet, but was expecting a bit more velocity. And I didn't realize it was a factory load. I shoot the 162ELDX in my 280AI's, and both rifles get a little over 3000 fps with RL26 (when I can get it). Guessing Hornady needs to throttle the CX bullet down a little to due to the larger bearing surface of the long mono bullet.

That BAR stalker sounds like a great close quarter deer gun. I had never heard of that one, I bet it's handy and easy to get on them for a follow up. Do you know what it weighs? Nothing like being on the ground with them up close. Good luck in that thick stuff!

I see what you were saying about the load now - yes, the box says 3,000 fps which is a little optimistic. Maybe a handloader like yourself could squeeze a little more out of it.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23
Shot this doe with my 7 PRC Friday in GA, was 25' up a tree, she was 114 yards, shot off-hand. Don't know if she took a step or if I pulled the shot, pretty severe down angle. What surprised me the most is that she dropped on the spot. It does not appear that I hit any major organs, the bullet (175 ELDX) passed through and left a pretty good exit wound. I don't know if hydrostatic shock killed her, did not gut her. Got her right to camp, skinned and quartered but no meat was lost. Not proud of the shot but it worked and didn't damage meat, my primary goal!

Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23
Shot this doe with my 7 PRC Friday in GA, was 25' up a tree, she was 114 yards, shot off-hand. Don't know if she took a step or if I pulled the shot, pretty severe down angle. What surprised me the most is that she dropped on the spot. It does not appear that I hit any major organs, the bullet (175 ELDX) passed through and left a pretty good exit wound. I don't know if hydrostatic shock killed her, did not gut her. Got her right to camp, skinned and quartered but no meat was lost. Not proud of the shot but it worked and didn't damage meat, my primary goal!

Nice job on the backstraps. Do you normally haul a rifle like that up a tree to sit in a stand for 100 yard off hand shots? Nice job and all, just wondering.

Nice job on the backstraps. Do you normally haul a rifle like that up a tree to sit in a stand for 100 yard off hand shots? Nice job and all, just wondering.

Backstraps undamaged, no lost meat at all, exit wound much lower due to shot angle. I have several "light" rifles, this one I just built DIY and this was the first hunt. It's really better suited to open country where distance comes into play but I wanted to use it and it's what I had on hand at the moment. I did have a clear cut behind me and I had shots out to 400 yards and beyond but prefer closer the better. When shooting does, looking for "clean" shots or none at all.

In the freezer now (other meat is pork loin from Costco mixed with venison).

Posted By: Coyote10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23

Backstraps undamaged, no lost meat at all, exit wound much lower due to shot angle. I have several "light" rifles, this one I just built DIY and this was the first hunt. It's really better suited to open country where distance comes into play but I wanted to use it and it's what I had on hand at the moment. I did have a clear cut behind me and I had shots out to 400 yards and beyond but prefer closer the better. When shooting does, looking for "clean" shots or none at all.

In the freezer now (other meat is pork loin from Costco mixed with venison).

Right. I didn't want to come off as a smart azz. Good to get some blood on the new rifle.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23
Good deal, glad you got the 7 broke in!

Looks like a pile of good chow.
Thanks beretzs, I need to work on my off-hand shooting skills...we use the meat in place of ground beef. I typically add a boston butt per deer but the tenderloin was $199 lb and hard to beat, not much fat though!
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23
Don't feel bad, I am not much of an offhand shooter either.

That looks like prime ground meat with the tenderloin in it.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/14/23
Thanks beretzs, I need to work on my off-hand shooting skills...we use the meat in place of ground beef. I typically add a boston butt per deer but the tenderloin was $199 lb and hard to beat, not much fat though!

Congrats on blooding the new rifle, 257Bob! And, in my experience, 114yds off hand in a hunting situation - maybe holding longer than optimum, awkward body position, etc. is not an easy shot. Lots of deer missed completely off hand at that range. Anyways, as a butcher I know says, "That'll eat!"
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
I shot a cow elk with my 7prc element on Halloween morning. They were on the move but I had a decent rest so I waited for them to get to a little 2 track road then led the leader cow a bit as she slowed to more of a trot and fired.

She spun and headed the opposite direction and the other 4 elk in the group followed. As she was quartering away headed up towards a little brush patch I put another round right behind the shoulder at a steep angle forward. She went about 30 more yards and died in a little brush patch.

I was using the 180 eldm over h4831sc at a muzzle velocity of 2850 from my 22" barrel. The first shot was 470 yards on my kilo 6k 10x42 binos and the second was about 500 yards. I don't normally like to take moving shots at that range but the hold looked good through the scope and I knew I was on her. She'd slowed down enough before the first shot that I knee I didn't need much lead.

The first one connected just a bit forward of the front shoulder at the base of the neck so I lead a bit too much. It severed the wind pipe enough that when cleaning it it tore off easy and left a bunch of pipe in the neck that required digging out. The second shot had about a 2" tall by 3" long entrance into the ribs because of the steep angle. It broke through 3 ribs and went through a lung and also up towards the neck. I found shrapnel but no big bullet pieces.

I actually met another fire member who walked over while I was finding my elk. He helped me as I tied onto it and drug it out of the patch. Then I went and pulled his big ram Cummings truck out that he had stuck on a big rock. His grandfather that was with him had just shot at a different group of elk right before I got mine. After we got him unstuck we went looking and he found his grandpas cow not far away dead. I thought my cow was big until I saw the one his grandpa shot. We worked together to get them both loaded. It was good meeting another fire member in the field. He said he doesn't post much but we'll see if he sees this and hopefully replies.

I'm liking the 7 prc. It's not a hotrod and really doesn't do much different speed wise than my 7mm rem mags or 7mm wsm's but it think it's a well designed case. I have taken 180s up to 2900 with h1000 which is pretty good in a new 22" barrel.

Bb
Posted By: bwinters Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
Good job BB!

I've been evaluating the 7 PRC for the past couple weeks. It is basically a modernized 7 RM. Case capacity is almost identical. The difference is the twist rate - 7 RM come with 1:9.5, 7 PRC have 1:8. That difference means you can take advantage if the heavy, high BC bullets in the PRC. Of course an 8 twist 7RM would do the same thing and have alot more brass available. Christensen twists their 7RM rifles with 1:9 which baffles me a bit. Why not simply go 1:8 like their PRC?

I've owned and loaded several 7RM over the years. 2950 is about all I could muster with 175s in several examples. Despite almost the same case capacity, I couldn't reach 2950 with a 175 in either 7 WSM I had. They topped out close to 2900.

I think the PRC has a future solely due to the twist rate and ability to take advantage of heavy, high BC bullets. Now all I need to do is find one I like........
Posted By: Teeder Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
It looks like a great case design, but my reality is, the 7mm-08 does everything I need doing.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
I shot a cow elk with my 7prc element on Halloween morning. They were on the move but I had a decent rest so I waited for them to get to a little 2 track road then led the leader cow a bit as she slowed to more of a trot and fired.

She spun and headed the opposite direction and the other 4 elk in the group followed. As she was quartering away headed up towards a little brush patch I put another round right behind the shoulder at a steep angle forward. She went about 30 more yards and died in a little brush patch.

I was using the 180 eldm over h4831sc at a muzzle velocity of 2850 from my 22" barrel. The first shot was 470 yards on my kilo 6k 10x42 binos and the second was about 500 yards. I don't normally like to take moving shots at that range but the hold looked good through the scope and I knew I was on her. She'd slowed down enough before the first shot that I knee I didn't need much lead.

The first one connected just a bit forward of the front shoulder at the base of the neck so I lead a bit too much. It severed the wind pipe enough that when cleaning it it tore off easy and left a bunch of pipe in the neck that required digging out. The second shot had about a 2" tall by 3" long entrance into the ribs because of the steep angle. It broke through 3 ribs and went through a lung and also up towards the neck. I found shrapnel but no big bullet pieces.

I actually met another fire member who walked over while I was finding my elk. He helped me as I tied onto it and drug it out of the patch. Then I went and pulled his big ram Cummings truck out that he had stuck on a big rock. His grandfather that was with him had just shot at a different group of elk right before I got mine. After we got him unstuck we went looking and he found his grandpas cow not far away dead. I thought my cow was big until I saw the one his grandpa shot. We worked together to get them both loaded. It was good meeting another fire member in the field. He said he doesn't post much but we'll see if he sees this and hopefully replies.

I'm liking the 7 prc. It's not a hotrod and really doesn't do much different speed wise than my 7mm rem mags or 7mm wsm's but it think it's a well designed case. I have taken 180s up to 2900 with h1000 which is pretty good in a new 22" barrel.

Bb

Awesome account of your hunt BB. Seems like 2850 with that 180 is plenty of steam for elk. Cool you got to meet another fire member out on the hunt.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Good job BB!

I've been evaluating the 7 PRC for the past couple weeks. It is basically a modernized 7 RM. Case capacity is almost identical. The difference is the twist rate - 7 RM come with 1:9.5, 7 PRC have 1:8. That difference means you can take advantage if the heavy, high BC bullets in the PRC. Of course an 8 twist 7RM would do the same thing and have alot more brass available. Christensen twists their 7RM rifles with 1:9 which baffles me a bit. Why not simply go 1:8 like their PRC?

I've owned and loaded several 7RM over the years. 2950 is about all I could muster with 175s in several examples. Despite almost the same case capacity, I couldn't reach 2950 with a 175 in either 7 WSM I had. They topped out close to 2900.

I think the PRC has a future solely due to the twist rate and ability to take advantage of heavy, high BC bullets. Now all I need to do is find one I like........

For an off the shelf rifle I don't think you'd go wrong at all with the PRC. The 7mm 175/180 class of bullets really is a good combo if you don't wanna get knocked around a ton.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
When I had my rifle rebarreled to 7 PRC, I was adamant about doing an 8 twist. My smith said I would be more than happy with a a 8.7 and guaranteed it to work.

I got a Bartlein 8 twist, because that's supposedly what the 7 PRC was designed around. Here is a good video about twist. I know 2 people that have rifles made from this guy, although not 7 PRC's.

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good job BB!

That, and the PRC is shorter than the RM, so mag length constraints are less problematic for the PRC.

What barrel length on the 7WSMs? I’ve had no trouble getting 180s between 2900-3000 fps, using 24-26” barrels.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
I picked up a Fierce CT Rage in 7mm PRC and really like it. I have a 24" SS CF wrapped barrel and scope is a Zeiss V6 3-18x50. Rifle is comfortable, easy to shoot and accurate. I'm shooting factory 180gr ELD-M and 175gr ELD-X.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last time at the range, 3 rounds left, 200 yards. First shot just left of center, couple clicks up and last 2 rounds. Need to get back with more ammo and finish my 200 yard zero.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
Dean, that’s a nice rifle! The Zeiss V6 is pretty incredible, too. I owned a V6 for a brief while.

I got my hands on your rifle and a Proof Research Elevation yesterday @ my LGS. I was looking for something chambered in 6.5 CM. They only had 6.5 PRC, 7PRC, and 300 PRC. Both rifles had a lot going for them.

I did a special order on a Fierce Carbon Mini Rogue with cheek adjustment riser in 6.5 Creed. . It lands sometime next week.

🦫
I only have 60 rounds fired and still tweaking the scope. Have not reloaded for it yet so I am hoping I can tighten up the group even a little. This is with Hornady factory 175 ELD X

26" Bartlein 1-8 twist, 700 action, McMillan stock. 5 shots just over .5 moa

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
I'm not going to try to suggest that the 7 PRC is an earth-shuddering new concept, it's simply a slight improvement over other 7mms that have been around for decades. I really think it represents the best of the 7mm RM and the 300 WM. What's not to like about slippery 175 gr high BC bullets at 2,800 FPS. Certainly overkill for most of my hunting but I like it just the same.
I only have 60 rounds fired and still tweaking the scope. Have not reloaded for it yet so I am hoping I can tighten up the group even a little. This is with Hornady factory 175 ELD X

[Linked Image]

Personally, I like Bart and Brux tubes, a lot. Looks like your rifle will give up the accuracy you want with handloading for it.

I did have long conversation with my LGS buddy, yesterday, while buying the rifle about Hornady 7PRC ammo and the erratic, maybe more like, inconsistent velocities, shooters everywhere are experiencing.

He had talked to his Hornady Rep about the speed issue. The rep didn’t say or admit that different powders were being used on different lot#’s. He only said that if a powders being used had already been tested to meet Horn’s velocity spec for the chambering. So, it wouldn’t be a factor. Hmm 🤔

My guy made the suggestion that Hornady should look at changing their published speed numbers on the boxes, because very few shooters, even those running 24” and 26” barrels were hitting +3k let alone 3k. The rep didn’t have anything definitive to say about Horn changing the velocity of their 7PRC ammo.

🦫
I'm not going to try to suggest that the 7 PRC is an earth-shuddering new concept, it's simply a slight improvement over other 7mms that have been around for decades. I really think it represents the best of the 7mm RM and the 300 WM. What's not to like about slippery 175 gr high BC bullets at 2,800 FPS. Certainly overkill for most of my hunting but I like it just the same.

Absolutely, right. It’s just the initial ‘hype’ about the 7PRC, aside from long skinny bullets, and shorter, better designed cases, was velocity numbers.

Guys, like myself, throwing bullets that are -200 ft per second slower than published speeds, does indicate some engineers were a smidge overzealous in what the box 175gr Eld-X will actually do.

I’ve said a few times, right now I’m getting 2767 fps. That’s an average from 26 different boxes and 2 lot number.

Hell, at first I was hitting speeds in the high 2500 to mid 2600. I only started to creep up in velocity as the barrel on my Seekins Element became more seasoned.

2767 fps with a 175gr Eld-x will make things die. So, maybe the speeding ticket point is moot.

🦫
My first 2 boxes averaged 2897 fos but that's with a 26" barrel. My ballistic app is giving me 2950 according to drops.

Will have to chronograph again but I don't want to waste ammo with the Magnetospeed. My buddy has a labradar and that's what I used to get initial numbers

Absolutely, right. It’s just the initial ‘hype’ about the 7PRC, aside from long skinny bullets, and shorter, better designed cases, was velocity numbers.

Guys, like myself, throwing bullets that are -200 ft per second slower than published speeds, does indicate some engineers were a smidge overzealous in what the box 175gr Eld-X will actually do.

I’ve said a few times, right now I’m getting 2767 fps. That’s an average from 26 different boxes and 2 lot number.

Hell, at first I was hitting speeds in the high 2500 to mid 2600. I only started to creep up in velocity as the barrel on my Seekins Element became more seasoned.

2767 fps with a 175gr Eld-x will make things die. So, maybe the speeding ticket point is moot.

🦫

I saw a wall full of new Remington 700 CDL, BDL, SPS. If they had a new one with the 1-8 7 Rem Mag I would’ve had to have it. Just to see what a stock rifle would do compared to the new PRC. Just for grins of course, I’d never wanna be caught in daylight, in public handling a Remington grin
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
When I had my rifle rebarreled to 7 PRC, I was adamant about doing an 8 twist. My smith said I would be more than happy with a a 8.7 and guaranteed it to work.

I got a Bartlein 8 twist, because that's supposedly what the 7 PRC was designed around. Here is a good video about twist. I know 2 people that have rifles made from this guy, although not 7 PRC's.

I disagree with this guy. I'll always go for a but more twist than run the ragged edge. Conditions like Temps change and I hunt at different altitudes. More twist usually means more BC as well. The best group I've ever shot was with a 150 grain .308 in a 10 twist 300 wsm. Some would argue that 10 twist is too fast for 150s at 3400 fps but my accuracy didn't suffer at all.

If I was a bench rest guy shooting known and somewhat consistent variables with a heavy bench gun I might slow the twist to closer to the edge but in a hinting rifle always give me a bit of extra twist. I think an 8.7 twist 7mm is enough for 180s but for 195s I'd prefer 1:8.

I also don't agree that just because the 28 nosler is bigger its better. I've had at least 3 28s and while one of them has shot some very good groups it doesn't do so consistently and after about 30 rounds of RL 33 I have to clean the carbon out or things get funky. The 7 prc I have has been easy to load for and consistent. Seems to have pretty wide nodes for the light fluted element barrel. I've only tried h4831sc and h1000 so far but quickly found 1/2 moa nodes for both.

And,I also think that with thin skinned high bc long range type bullets 2800-3000fps is a good place to be speed wise. It gets me to 1000 yards with enough velocity to still expand on bc's of .7 or so and still they perform OK at moderate ranges. Over the last dozen or so years I've gotten rid of at least 4 300 ultramags in favor of 300 wsm's. I prefer lighter rifles without brakes for most hunting and found that a 215 hybrid at 2800 mv killed very well and shot very consistently for me.

Plus it's been hard to find retumbo or even h1000 and my wsms do great with some faster powders. I've always thought the 7 wsm was the sweet spot for me performance wise and the 7 prc duplicates that while getting the bullet out of the case a bit but still leaving plenty of mag box on all long actions. In 7 wsm's I always wanted a bit more mag box except on 8400 short mag actions which give you about 3.0" which is the minimum I want on that round.

Using that guy's logic a 7 rum is better than a 28 nosler which isn't true because at least the 28 can fit a mag box. I was all in on the 28 for a few years but never got a lighter weight one to shoot consistently well. Plus I'm getting older and in a light weight gun a 7 prc is enough recoil.

Bb
My gunsmith agreed that for 195's an 8 twist would be best. I am glad I went with 8.

[Linked Image]

🦫

I saw a wall full of new Remington 700 CDL, BDL, SPS. If they had a new one with the 1-8 7 Rem Mag I would’ve had to have it. Just to see what a stock rifle would do compared to the new PRC. Just for grins of course, I’d never wanna be caught in daylight, in public handling a Remington grin

That’s actually funny, being caught in daylight.

Most of my Remington’s are just their action I prostituted for a build.

🫣😆🦫
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
Only 2 Remington's left myself. A 722 in 300 Savage and a Gentry Mountain Rifle in 7x57 on a 700 action.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Only 2 Remington's left myself. A 722 in 300 Savage and a Gentry Mountain Rifle in 7x57 on a 700 action.

That 722 is cool as heck though. I could hunt one of those.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23

[Linked Image]

Which McM stock are you using?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23

[Linked Image]

You have the least convincing record on buying a new 7 PRC

[Linked Image]

Game Scout
Posted By: Cascade Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23
I've handloaded 100+ 7 PRC's for testing & hunting. Hunted with a 22" custom last spring, but didn't get a shot at an Idaho bear.

With 71.1 Staball HD the 175 gr ELD-X averaged 2899 fps with an SD of 8. I was impressed. That's a max load according to Hodgdon and I had no trouble with it last June.

The rifle has been dependable and accurate. I've long used the 7mm Rem Mag, and see the 7 PRC as a bit of an improvement.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by Cascade
I've handloaded 100+ 7 PRC's for testing & hunting. Hunted with a 22" custom last spring, but didn't get a shot at an Idaho bear.

With 71.1 Staball HD the 175 gr ELD-X averaged 2899 fps with an SD of 8. I was impressed. That's a max load according to Hodgdon and I had no trouble with it last June.

The rifle has been dependable and accurate. I've long used the 7mm Rem Mag, and see the 7 PRC as a bit of an improvement.

Regards, Guy

What barrel mfg did you use on your build. Steel or CF?

🦫

Regards, Guy

That's a load I'd be trying if I had one. SB HD seems to be very available and those are great numbers on a 22" barrel.
Posted By: Cascade Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23

Regards, Guy

🦫

Bartlein 5R 1:8 twist stainless
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: 7mm PRC = 280 +P? - 11/15/23

Bb

Good story, Burleyboy. And, some fine shooting way out there!

Regards, Guy

🦫

Bartlein 5R 1:8 twist stainless

Cool. 👍🏼

🦫
© 24hourcampfire