Home
Posted By: 257Bob Trip to the range - 12/26/23
Went to the local range last week, goal was to shoot my 7 PRC as it got soaked while hunting and I took it apart to clean and dry, then reassembled, knowing the POI would probably be off a bit. Just finished a new 6.5 CM build, a Defiance Ruckus Tactical/Proof carbon/McMillan, and I wanted to sight it in for a hunting trip in January (GA).

Two things were new experiences for me, the PRC shot to the same point of impact as prior to taking the stock off (not bedded) and did not require any changes. My past experience is that a rifle need to "shoot-in" a few shots to seat the recoil lug, not this time.

The other experience was that I pulled the scope for the new CM from another very similar rifle and after bore sighting (looking down the bore with the bolt removed at the target 100 yards away), I fired the first shot and it was virtually dead-on where I wanted it, made only very fine adjustments. Final group was only two shots as I'm about out of ammo and saving a few for last hunt.

Range time isn't always what I expect but this visit exceeded expectations.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Trip to the range - 12/26/23
They look to be some good shooting rifles. Good luck on your hunt!
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Trip to the range - 12/26/23
Nothing better than a day at the shooting range đź‘Ť.....Hb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Trip to the range - 12/26/23
If a raindrop shut things down and mandated disassembly...one could never reassemble here. Hint..................(grin)
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Trip to the range - 12/26/23
Bob-

Those are really nice lookin' rigs!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Trip to the range - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Went to the local range last week, goal was to shoot my 7 PRC as it got soaked while hunting and I took it apart to clean and dry, then reassembled, knowing the POI would probably be off a bit. Just finished a new 6.5 CM build, a Defiance Ruckus Tactical/Proof carbon/McMillan, and I wanted to sight it in for a hunting trip in January (GA).

Two things were new experiences for me, the PRC shot to the same point of impact as prior to taking the stock off (not bedded) and did not require any changes. My past experience is that a rifle need to "shoot-in" a few shots to seat the recoil lug, not this time.

The other experience was that I pulled the scope for the new CM from another very similar rifle and after bore sighting (looking down the bore with the bolt removed at the target 100 yards away), I fired the first shot and it was virtually dead-on where I wanted it, made only very fine adjustments. Final group was only two shots as I'm about out of ammo and saving a few for last hunt.

Good to hear there was no POI shift after removing it from the stock and putting it back in. When that does happen, that means you have a bedding issue. Rifles should not do that, just so you understand that. They shouldn't have to be "shot in", "to seat the recoil lug", as you state. If I had a rifle that did that, I'd be glass bedding it. Sounds like yours is sitting in that stock pretty good though. Congrats!!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Trip to the range - 12/28/23
I dig what you’re saying Stick but it was a thorough soaking.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Trip to the range - 12/28/23
All my McMillans are drop-ins, no bedding. They shoot well, if they didn’t I’d bed but not necessary now.

Thanks for the kind replies!
Posted By: SKane Re: Trip to the range - 12/28/23
Great battery you've got there!
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Trip to the range - 12/28/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Good to hear there was no POI shift after removing it from the stock and putting it back in. When that does happen, that means you have a bedding issue. Rifles should not do that, just so you understand that. They shouldn't have to be "shot in", "to seat the recoil lug", as you state. If I had a rifle that did that, I'd be glass bedding it. Sounds like yours is sitting in that stock pretty good though. Congrats!!

Do you guys torque your action screws when you get them to shoot the same after you take the stock off and put back together?
Posted By: pyscodog Re: Trip to the range - 12/28/23
What you shooting in the PRC? Factory or handloads?
Posted By: Brad Re: Trip to the range - 12/29/23
Great shooting!

What can you using?
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Trip to the range - 01/20/24
Nice rifles
© 24hourcampfire